How many?

Red

Shaye shoots upright in bed. Her heart racing from another nightmare only this time no one was around to catch her. After taking a few calming breaths, she couldn’t sense Yoongi anywhere in the house. Still a bit shaken she left the bed in search of Hoseok. He heard her entering the room and checked the time. “Bad dream?” She jumped slightly not expecting him to be awake. He chuckled softly “Sorry, come here.” He lifted the blanket for her. She slid in next to him muttering a ‘thanks’. “Wanna talk about it?” She shook her head. “Where’s Suga?”

Shaye shrugged “Probably out for a run. He’s not in the house.”

“So, why me?”

She shrugged again “Because Yoongi wasn’t there and I know.” She glanced at him “Also anyone else at the moment would’ve been thrown through a loop so it was you or the couch.” Hoseok scrunched his face up. “The couch?”

“When I’m alone and I have a bad dream or can’t sleep, I move out to the couch or somewhere else.”

“Wait. How did you-” Shaye reached over and flicked his forehead “The bond works both ways doofus.” Hoseok took hold of her hand before she could retract it. “I’m sure you didn’t say anything for the same reason I didn’t: We’d literally just met and didn’t want to freak each other out. I’ll leave it up to you when you want the others to know. I assume Yoongi and NamJoon already know?”

He nodded “I think I’ll wait until the next one bonds. The maknaes have a thing going to see who is going to be the next one to bond after Yoongi. Though they want it to happen naturally.”

Shaye blinked at him “Good to know. Well that being said. I think I’ll go lay on the couch now.”

“Are you sure?”

Shaye nodded “I’m good now, thanks.”

“We still need to put your room together.” He said as an afterthought “I’ll talk to Jin and Suga about it in the morning.”

---

Yoongi walked in and shook his head. He walked to the couch and picked Shaye up “Come on, you’ll hurt your neck sleeping there.” She shifted and put her arms around his neck “Bad dreams again?” She nodded and buried her face in his neck “Sorry I wasn’t here” he said softly. She shook her head “What time is it?”

“Quarter to ten.”

“Then why is the house so quiet?”

“Hoseok and Jungkook were probably up late online and Jimin and Taehyung were probably up gaming.” He set her down once he reached his room.

“Alright” She ruffled her hair. “Then I’m gonna hop in the shower quick.

---

“What’s wrong?” NamJoon entered the kitchen to find Shaye looking off into space, on the counter. A partially eaten apple in one hand and her fingers unconsciously clenched around the knife in her hand. NamJoon gently slipped the knife from her fingers.

 Her eyes snapped to him “Give it back.”

NamJoon shook his head “What were you thinking about?”

Shaye shrugged as she pulled out another one “Can you wash it then please, it has apple on it. Someone had said that one of your brothers’ packs is Exo right?”

NamJoon slowly nodded “Why?”

“Idiots” she huffed before hopping off the counter to wash her second knife. Somehow both of the knives disappeared from his sight. “Why are you carrying those around?” She raised a shoulder “I always have one on me.” She faced him, leaning against the counter. “Even at home?” She nods.

“Well you don’t need to here.”

“Just humor me, please” She raised a hand “And before you say anything it’s not a matter of trust, I’ve been in plenty of situations with people I trust to keep me safe. Even the strongest can be put to sleep at the drop of a hat.”

NamJoon watched her “So you feel safer carrying one around all the time?”

“No” she ran her fingers through her hair, “It’s reassuring. It’s nice to have a backup plan if all else fails.”

That, he understood. “How many do you usually carry on you?”

She eyed him carefully “Just a couple (sometimes). Why?” NamJoon tilted his head “Do you have any more on you at the moment?” Shaye scoffed “I’m not telling you that.”

“Oh really?” he replied with a smirk. She met his eyes and caught the glint in them before she took off running. It didn’t take long before he cornered her in the living room and had her writhing on the floor as his fingers tickled her sides. “Give up?” She playfully glared up at him “I’ll never tell.”

He shrugged “Maybe you will one day.” His fingers stopped, one hand coming to rest on her hip. Thumb unconsciously drawing circles on the bit of skin that was showing as she caught her breath. “Nam-” her eyes widened when she met his glowing ones. “I hope you don’t mine” She shook her head with a small smile playing on her lips before she grimaced and clutched her shoulder.

“Shaye!” NamJoon’s fist slammed on the floor. Yoongi ran in a minute later “What happened?” NamJoon was still kneeling on the floor. He scratched his neck “We bonded and she flashed out again.”

He turns to Yoongi “Did you know that she always has a knife or two on her?”

“Or more” Yoongi nodded “You didn’t say she couldn’t have them did you?”

“No.”

Yoongi sighed holding out his hand to help his friend back on his feet. “Alright, I’ve got a feeling because one of their powers is similar, that she popped up in front of Taehyung again. Do you want me to talk to her about disappearing when she’s in pain?”

“No, I’ll do it.”

Yoongi nodded and clapped the Alpha’s shoulder “Last I knew, Taehyung was in his room try there first.” NamJoon nodded a ‘thanks’ before heading out to look for Shaye.

--

“Tae-” the door swung open before NamJoon could finish. “She made it to the bed before passing out. Mind keeping an eye on her? I’d like to go help with her room.” The Alpha silently nodded before he made his way into the room.

He sat quietly by the bed for about an hour before she sat up. “Hi” she looked around the room “Taehyung’s room.”

“Ah.”

NamJoon took hold of her hand, gaining her attention. “Can I ask you something?” Shaye nodded “Why do you disappear after a bond when your shoulder flairs up?”

She watched their hands “Honestly I’m not sure myself. The first time I knew I didn’t want to scare Jungkook and Hoseok by fainting on them. This time I have no idea, reflex maybe?” She gave a week smile.

He nodded in understanding. “Could you try not to fall back on that reflex? Especially since we know you pass out from the pain. There’s no guarantee that you’ll continue to appear in front of Taehyung or someone else from the pack when you just disappear like that. We’re your mates and soon to be mates, please let us take care of you.”

It was Shaye’s turn to nod “I’ll try.”

“Good, that’s all we ask” NamJoon smiled at her.

Taehyung re-entered his room “Oh good, you’re up! Wanna see your room?”

“Sure” she stretched before climbing off the bed. They stopped in front of a closed door “It’s-” Yoongi had come up behind her to cover . “Jimin thought you’d like purple so we let him paint the door rather than the inside” he explained softly. She nodded, swallowing her slight dislike for purple in order not to hurt Jimin’s feelings. She shrugged to herself at least it wasn’t pink. Besides it was only a door.

For the most part it was a simple room, with a bed and a dresser. They painted one of the walls a deep blue/green and another: a light sea green. Her eyes landed on the desk. “Four screens? You guys really didn’t-” “Yes, yes we did.” Hoseok stepped in front of her “We saw the set up you had and Suga told us some more about your work. And we can always add more if we need to.”

“So…” Jungkook said sitting on the bed “What do you think?”

“I love it, thank you” She smiled at all of them.