Sanctuary

Red

There was a knock on the door shortly after Shaye returned Yoongi’s phone to him. She gave him a weary look before opening the door. She sighed in relief as she let Yongguk’s pack in. “I was starting to think that something hadn’t set.” She crossed her arms as she leaned against the door “So who’s the teleporter?”

Daehyung lifted a hand and she nodded “Makes sense.”

“Nice place.”

“Thanks, I try” she replied dryly. “Anyways this should be the safest place for Raven right now and any other pack member who seeks sanctuary. If this place ever becomes compromised you need to let me or my brothers know immediately. Any questions?”

“How about a tour?” YoungJae practically bounced around the room.

“How about a self-tour. The house belongs to the pack now, you’re welcome to everything here and to make any changes you’d like. Just don’t mess with the magic in the walls. Its what’s keeping this place protected. But we should get back asap.” She looked to Yoongi who nodded in agreement.

Suddenly Raven was standing in front of her. “You look like , come here” they pulled her into a hug.

“Well I certainly don’t feel like it.”

“You need to be careful. Thanks for the home.” Raven stepped back and Shaye was met with a hug from Zelo who picked her up and spun her around.

“That’s enough you giant” Shaye laughed as he set her back down “Good to see your bond has settled.”

He silently thanked her before going back to Raven’s side. She turned for the door hoping they could sneak out before anyone else initiated a hug.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Yongguk’s deep voice sounded as he tugged her back to him “Heard you were out for a couple of days. Take it easy okay kid?”

Shaye willing hugged him just for that “I can’t make any promises on that aspect without breaking them. But I can say that I’ll try.”

Yongguk ruffled her hair “That’s all an older brother can ask.”

“Thanks.”

--

Over the next couple of days Shaye would disappear for a few hours at a time, not telling anyone exactly where she was going but that part of it was for work. Yoongi said not to worry about it but the boys couldn’t help their curiosity. So Jungkook decided he would track her today. He watched her work for a while before stepping out of his spot. “Is that where you’re putting the doorway?”

She simply nodded; she knew someone would check up on her sooner or later.

“Didn’t you say you were going out for work?”

She nodded again “Multitasking.”

He frowned slightly at her short responses. He wrapped his arms around her waist placing his chin on her shoulder “And?”

“I’m having trouble concentrating on my work at the house.” He hummed in satisfaction at the longer reply “Can I help?”

“Sure, but only if you help me keep it from Jin and Namjoon until it’s done.”

“What about Suga?”

She chuckled “Yoongi knows everything I do whether I tell him or not. It’s almost next to impossible to keep something from him.”

“So using the tree for the doorway; how do you plan to do the frame work?” he let go of her as he looked at what she had so far trying to picture what she was planning.

“Not every door needs a physical frame. So sensors will work just fine.”

Jungkook nodded “How are you going to do the security settings? Without a physical frame you can’t put a shield on it like they have the eye in Stargate.”

Shaye couldn’t help the smile that spread across her face as she nudged him in the side “You geek.”

“Yes but I’m your geek” he wrapped his arms around her from behind again.

“Stargate’s eye is necessary but barbaric. If someone finds the location of this doorway and wants to use it as an exit; they’re not going to die because they can’t come through, they’ll just be rerouted to another doorway.”

He rested his chin on her head “Let me guess no one can use it without the right coding.”

“Yup. I’ll have to update it every now and then but that’s not a big deal. So now that you know, are you going to hang on me all day or help like you wanted to?”

“But you’re so comfy” he whined.

“But I can’t get anything done…”

He let go and she moved to the panel she had put in the tree. “How did you do that?”

“It’s a dimensional space pocket that’s self-sustaining so it does no harm to the tree and once its set it doesn’t draw anything from the user.”

“Someone’s coming.”

Shaye shrugged “It’s probably just Yoongi.”

Jungkook shook his head “No it doesn’t sound like him.”

‘it’s not supposed to’ “Alright then” Shaye started packing up. “Up in the tree, I’ll be right behind you.”

“We could’ve out run them” he muttered when she settled next to him. “They’ll sense us up here.”

She set a hand on his neck and put a finger to her lips “There’s only one person who’d be able to and you say it’s not him now shush.”

A few moments later Yoongi was standing under the tree staring up at them. “Told you,” Shaye nudged Jungkook before taking the easy way back down by teleporting them next to Yoongi. “Are we late?” she asked.

“Almost. You’re cutting it pretty close this time.”

“Eh if Jin asks I can just say Jungkook and I went out for a walk and lost track of time. I’m assuming he already knows you came out looking for us?” He nodded. “See nothing to worry about” she smiled and linked her arms with theirs.

--

Half a week later Shaye was working in the living room with Jimin cuddled up behind her. NamJoon sat on the floor in front of them. “What are you working on?”

Shaye glanced up with a smirk displayed on her lips before returning to her work. “Hacking a guy’s car.”

“Why…”

She shrugged “Some business owner that I did a security job for liked my work so much that he requested my help in teaching his son a few lessons.”

“Okay… Again. Why? And you should be resting.”

She briefly glanced over her laptop at him for the last comment. She released a frustrated sigh “Because I was bored and how often do you actually hear of those types of parents punishing their spoiled adult children?”

“Fair enough” NamJoon chuckled.

“Shouldn’t you guys be resting? Seeing as I’m keeping everyone up at night because you worry too much? Hell I can’t get any of my real work done because everyone keeps interrupting me to see how I’m doing.”

“Uh oh” Jimin slipped out of the room.

She closed the laptop and stood up. “It’s not that I don’t appreciate everyone’s concern its just” she sighed “There’s no pint in worrying about whatever’s going to happen until it actually happens.”

NamJoon stood and pulled her into his arms “Sorry if it feels like we’re smothering you. Why don’t you go spend the weekend at Exo’s maybe you’ll be able to get some work done there.” He rubbed her arms.

“Sure. I guess I’ll see you Monday or something.”

--

“Let me get this straight. You’re going to a house full of 12 hyperactive guys where you hope to concentrate on your work when you can’t handle 7? Because that makes sense.”

“I don’t even know why I’m talking to you.” Shaye grumbled as she pulled her backpack over her shoulder.

“Because you’re the only pack member who can’t stay at the house unless I’m not here. Also Maru is busy, I’m your only other friend and you apparently can’t talk about this with your mates.”

“What do you know” Shaye rolled her eyes “Anyways provided they’re all there for the weekend my brothers know when to leave me alone. One of them is one third of the most hyper members. Everyone else will be fine.”

“Except the fact that Chanyeol and Baekhyun make up the other two thirds and will want to get to know their sister in law.”

“Chanyeol is chill and I can handle Baekhyun.”

“Whatever you say.”

“So” an arm wrapped around her shoulders “You think you can handle me little sister?”

“Uh I gotta go” They could hear Raven laughing as Shaye ended the call.

She met Baekhyun’s gaze to see his brows raised in question before they came in confusion “Did you just teleport while talking on the phone?”

Shaye looked to the phone in her hand just realizing that she’d done exactly that. “Apparently.”

“By the way, why do you always dress like an assassin?”

Shaye pulled down the hood of the black coat she was wearing with red accents. “I don’t and I’m not.” She looked at the rest of what she was wearing and nothing screamed assassin at her.

“He’s right” Shaye looked up to find Sehun standing next Baekhyun with his arms crossed and a bored look on his face.

“Hello Sehun” Shaye rolled her eyes. “I’m a hacker so there’s no need for me to dress like an assassin. And even if I do it’s because its comfortable. I don’t purposely dress to look a certain way. Anyways are my brothers here?”

“Just Kai at the moment. He should be upstairs.” Sehun nodded towards the house.

“Thanks.” Shaye smiled up at him. “I need to talk with him.” Shaye moved past them when Baekhyun’s slight pout registered in her mind. She turned slightly to address them and saw Sehun shaking his head.

“I’m here for the weekend.” Sehun started making slashing motions at his neck but Shaye kept on “but I don’t need to speak with Kai in private, so you’re welcome to come with.”

Baekhyun’s face lit up and he skipped past her to open the door for them. Sehun on the other hand shook his head in disbelief and placed a hand on her shoulder “He is going to stick to your side all weekend.”

Shaye slowly shook her head “No he won’t. I have work to do.”

“Heh, good luck with that.”

Shaye rolled her eyes turning to her brother in law “Baek, why are you acting like you’re younger than us?”

Baekhun smiled as he rocked on his heals “It’s good for the soul” He dramatically placed a hand over his heart. “Plus I don’t know enough about you but Sehun’s one of the biggest babies in the bunch but only when he really wants something or is being lazy.”

Sehun crossed his arms “I’m not as bad as Tao.”

“What?” Shaye guffawed. And then thought about it. “No, I can see it.”

This caused the other two to laugh so hard they both bent over clutching their stomach.

“Mei!”

Sehun sobered up real quick “Speak of the devil. Looks like we’re all here this weekend. Are you sure you’re going to get work done?”

“Yup.”

Sehun shivered from the gleam in her eye.

---

Shaye settled herself next to Kai on his bed along with Sehun while Baekhyun, Tao and Chen found spots around the room. “So.. are you going to tell them about teleporting while you were on the phone.” Baekhyun blurt out and her brothers’ curious eyes were suddenly on her.

“Hyung!” she whined.

Baekhyun’s back straightened and he blinked a couple of times before speaking “That… was adorable! But you’re supposed to say oppa.”

Sehun couldn’t help but snort next to her, with a hand covering his lips. She side eyed him as she responded to Baekhyun “I know but that’s never going to happen. Also that just slipped out” She picked at the comforter “So I suppose it’s that or nothing at all.”

She tilted her head in thought. “Anyways” She looked up at her brothers “I wanted to thank you guys for the work you did on the house.”

Chen held up a hand “Can we go back to the part where you teleported while on the phone.”

Shaye sighed “I think I’m still a little overcharged from a couple of weeks ago when Jin gave me the antidote with your blood mixed together in it. Every time I do something the excess slowly bleeds off. But it hasn’t evened out yet.” She explained before burying her face in Kai’s shoulder.

“Uh yeah” he patted her head “I can feel that. Sheesus Shaye how do you sleep with all of that buzzing just below the surface?”

“Very little” she mumbled “I’ve also apparently taken up sleep talking which has made the guys worry even more. Which; is part of why I’m here this weekend. I have deadlines coming up but haven’t really been able to focus on any of my work because they’ve been hovering.”

Kai wrapped his arms around her “We’ll make sure you have space to do your work without interruption. Hell we’ll tell Kyungsoo and no one will bother you.”

That had been Friday afternoon. She’d managed to get a third of her work done by dinner time and Kyungsoo sent her to bed early after making her drink one of his teas. She slept soundly that night. It was probably the best sleep she’d had in weeks.

She’d finished her work by Saturday afternoon and even had time to mess with the businessman’s son a little. It’s after dinner now and she’s currently hanging from Chanyeol’s back in a game of keep away from Baekhyun.

“Yeol give her back!”

Shaye giggled as Chaneyol would speed up just enough to stay out of reach. The only problem was they were heading straight for Kris who stood in their way with his arms crossed “Take it outside guys.”

“Yes sir” Shaye saluted him before teleporting Chanyeol and herself outside before they ran into Kris.

“Not fair” Baekhyun pouted before his face lit up with an idea “Oh Kai…”

“No.”

“But”

“No”

“Kai just do it. She needs to come back in for her tea anyway.”

“Alright, but do I have to be a part of the game? Can’t I just bring them in myself?”

“Do you really want to listen to him grumble about it for the rest of the night?” Suho asked.

Kai rolled his eyes “Fine. Come on hyung.” Baekhyun whooped and hopped on to his back. Once outside they caught Shaye and Chanyeol in no time.

She narrowed her eyes at her brother “Traitor.”

Kai raised his hand in defense “Kyungsoo wants you to come in for tea and Suho made me bring him.”

“Fine” She grumbled before teleporting everyone back inside. She dropped down from Chanyeol’s back and stalked into the kitchen downing the mug of tea waiting for her. She turned Kyungsoo after washing the mug out. “Why do I have to go to bed early again?”

“Because one night of good sleep does not make up for weeks of not being able to sleep.”

‘yes mama Soo’ Luhan started laughing in the other room. Shaye said a quick good night and made her way to the guest room she was using.

---

Shaye was sitting under a tree, meditating in the darkness of the dreamscape. A raven landed on her shoulder to whisper something in her ear before touching its beak to her forehead “Be careful, somethings coming” it warned before taking off. Shaye dropped to the side as something whooshed over her and thunked into the tree behind her. “What the hell” Shaye’s eyes landed on the axe in the tree before gravitating to the person who threw it. Her eyes narrowed in disbelief “Mom?”

The figure smiled a little too wide as it raised a hand, calling the axe back to them.

“Not mom” She sighed almost in relief.

The figure charged at her; swinging the axe and missed again as she jumped into the tree. They yanked the axe back out of the tree and looked up. “Be a good girl and come on down sweetheart.”

“You can drop the guise, you already ruined it when you smiled.”

The figure continued to stare unblinkingly and tried again in a sickly sweet voice. “come on down dear and join your mother. She missed you dearly. She was such a tasty little morsel.” The creature its fingers as if savoring the memory of a kill.

“You’re lying. Had anything happened to her my father would’ve told me. He’d be here as well and you never would’ve gotten as close to me as you did.”

The creature chuckled “I can’t lie. And you really shouldn’t rely so much on that fox dear.”

Shaye huffed in disbelief “Thanks for telling me exactly what you are. You might not be able to lie. But you can’t tell whole truths either your nature won’t let you. You’re a story spinner.” Shaye studied the figure on the ground “I know for a fact that my mom is alive and well. Also the only way you could wear her face is to kill her. You killed someone from another dimension because you couldn’t lay a hand on my mother. You know who my father is so you know what I am. Leave me alone or I will kill you for taking an innocent life and threatening my family as is my right seeing as you attacked me.”

“As if you could lay a finger on me. Maybe if your father was Coyote instead of that fox” the creature sneered “Besides” it it lips “You have so much power thrumming through you and the fact that you’re his daughter makes you a perfect addition to my collection.”

Shaye shrugged “Don’t say I didn’t warn you” She jumped out of the tree landing gracefully on her feet, she rose with her hands in her pockets as she stared down the creature. The dreamscape is for all but this portion was hers. Any who enter could bring something with them but no one else could manipulate it like her. It was her paly ground.

She slowly stalked toward the creature with a twisted grin playing on her lips.

“You can’t do anything to me. Your morals won’t allow you to.” The creature tried to reason.

Shaye chuckled lowly “You mentioned Coyote earlier. I guess you should consider yourself lucky that I’m not one of his.” Her tilted ever so slightly “I can guess who sent you. Oh honey did they ever give you all the wrong information. Being part human does not make me docile. I will do anything and everything I can to protect me and mine.”

“Good luck with that because when I’m done with you it will all be mine.” The creature spat.

Shaye shook her head “Even with those words you seem a bit shaken. Are you sure you want to try?” She stood relaxed with a hand behind her back.

“How’s this for trying” the creature came at her, axe swinging. Shaye went low spinning as she did to dodge the blade as well as slice open the creature’s side with one of her own. It spun in its own momentum swinging the axe lower and managed to graze Shaye’s abdomen as she made to jump out of the way. She kicked the axe out of the creature’s hands and with a twist of her hand set it ablaze so it could use it no more.

“That was my favorite weapon!”

“Really? An axe? That’s so boring.”

The creature charged at Shaye faster than she ever expected it to be able to move and tackled her to the ground. “I guess I’ll do this the old fashioned way.” It started to strangle her as Shaye was now stabbing two blades into it’s sides hoping the pain would make it loosen its grip. “How could you stab your own mother?” it finally gasped out losing its grip just enough for Shaye to speak.

“You’re not my mother” She spat before muttering words she had never spoken before.

The creature’s eyes widened as it realized what she was saying “You’re not supposed to know that spe-”

“I free you” she finished and the creature exploded in a cloud of ash. Shaye rolled to her side in a coughing fit. She felt a hand on her shoulder but couldn’t see anyone. “Thank you” she felt lips on her forehead.

---

She passed out in the dreamscape to wake in bed. She flings the covers off of her, reaching for her phone to call the Min’s house phone.

“Is everything alright?” a drowsy voice asked.

Shaye held her wrist to her forehead “uh yeah, maybe… sorry what time is it?”

“It’s nearly 4:00 in the morning dear.”

“I’m so sorry for waking you. Is” Shaye closed her eyes “Is my mom alright?”

“Yeah I can put her on the phone if you’d like.”

Shaye released a breath she didn’t know she’d been holding “No need to Mrs. Min, I’m sorry for the disturbance. She’s been targeted again and I just-” Shaye paused trying to keep her voice steady as she was on the verge of breaking down “I just wanted to make sure she was still there.”

“Oh honey” Yoongi’s mother has known Shaye since she was a little girl and could still read all the tells in her voice even though she was trying hard to stay strong. “I’ll be sure to tell the Alpha. We’ll keep her safe.”

“Thanks” Shaye started pulling the phone away from her ear.

“Now don’t go hangin’ up on me just yet. Are you alright?”

Shaye took a deep breath trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to spill “Honestly it might take a little longer to shake this on off. But I’m safe right now. I’m visiting my brothers at Exo’s pack house for the weekend.”

“Alright dear if there’s anything we can do to help let us know.”

“We will. But for now please continue to keep my mom safe.”

“Will do honey. If at all possible, try to get a bit more sleep.”

“Thanks Mrs. Min, I’ll try.” There was a soft knock on the door when Shaye hung up the phone. She winced when she made to move off the bed and opted to softly call for the person to enter the room.

Lay slipped in as she was gingerly pulling the wet fabric of her shirt away from her mid-section. “I thought I smelled blood” He came to her side setting the first aid kit on the floor. He asked her to lay back as they pulled up her shirt so he could examine the wound.

“I’m sorry for waking you.”

He shook his head “Don’t worry about it. Being a healer I’m more attuned to the scent of blood” he whistled softly. “I’m going to need to stitch this to help you heal. What happened and do I need to get any of the others?”

She hissed as he started to clean the wound. “No, let them sleep I can explain things or try to, to the rest later.”

“So?”

“Oh sorry. Dreamscape, was visited by an axe wilding fae that was intent on killing me. Which wouldn’t have been so bad if it didn’t look like my mother.”

“I’m sorry, is she?”

“The creature is dead, this was a lucky shot” She pointed at her belly “Called the Mins before you came in and my mom is fine.”

“That’s good” he looked up once he finished and tsked “Did it try to strangle you” she nodded and flinched when he moved a hand towards her neck. “Sorry, It’s just bruising. The magic from the dreamscape doesn’t bar healers from healing bruises. May I” She nodded again and his hand hovered over her neck. “All done. You should try to sleep some more.”

“Yeah” she drawled “I don’t think that’s going to happen but if you’re able to you should definitely get some more sleep yourself.”

“Alright” he studied her “Cover those stiches if you’re going to take a shower and put something dry on them when you’re done.”

“Thanks” she dipped her head in gratitude after he helped her sit back up. Shaye waited for lay to leave the room before making her way the guest bathroom.

Even though she knew her mom was okay and that everything had happened in the dreamscape. She could still feel the blood on her hands and arms. She broke down in the shower as the feeling wouldn’t go away, nearly scrubbing her skin until it was raw. She couldn’t stop seeing her mother’s face even though she knew it wasn’t her. She couldn’t stop thinking about all the what ifs. In the back of her mind she prayed that no one could hear the sobs over the fan and the water. After the shower she had calmed down enough to leave the room.

It’s nearly 6:00 am now so she started a big pot of coffee figuring she wouldn’t be alone for long knowing that some of the Exo pack members were early risers. And hopped on the main computer to do some research as it was fully connected to the other net unlike her laptop at the moment. The creature might not have gotten her mom but it did kill someone and she wanted to know who…