012

Carnation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It was one thing to want to take a step onto becoming closer friends and it was another to do it. The moment she stepped into the car she knew things were about to go down. A small talk? Impossible. It was awkward to the point Seulgi could hear herself breathe and think she was breathing the wrong way. 

 

She didn't think it through: what do you usually do with your ex-best-friend-now-close-to-stranger-that-you-used-to-have-a-crush-on in a car at night? Seulgi accepted the moment he begged her but really, she had no clue of what to do or say. It wasn't long ago that they were bickering in the  corridor of a broadcast station or fighting in front of the whole staff in a café, so what was she supposed to say? "Hum hey, I know this is really sudden but I miss you a lot and I still like you even though it's lame because it has been years and I still can't move on but I also hope you know that I hate you for everything you did to me." Yes, that was really natural. Seulgi sighed and face palmed herself.

 

Now what? she thought.

 

She didn't have the confidence to make things casual between them and act like she didn't live the worst nights ever crying because of him but she certainly didn't want to waste this chance to make a step forward. After all, he wasn't her enemy. He said so himself.

 

She glanced at him as he was calmly driving and he unexpectedly glanced back just as soon, as if he knew she was looking.

 

She automatically turned her head around and shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Why isn't he looking at the road, is he trying to kill us? she ranted to herself more because she was caught red handed staring at him than because she felt like her life was in danger. Who is she trying to fool, we all know she feels the safest with him around.

 

"What?" he asked.

 

"What what?" she asked back.

 

"You were looking at me."

 

"No."

 

"Are you just gonna act like our eyes didn't meet just now?" he asked dumbfounded with his eyes still on the road.

 

"Yes," Seulgi shamelessly answered.

 

She realized it was rather easy to talk to him when he wasn't looking straight into her eyes.

 

Jongin shook his head in response but she could recognize the beginning of his usual smile on his lips. And it did it again: her heart skipped a beat.

 

This must be a joke, she told herself. A smile and you react like this? What if he turns around, you're going to blush? Huh? Are you going to cry tears of joy if he laughs at your lame jokes?! 

 

Seulgi kept thinking about how she feels whenever he does things and could only come to the conclusion that liking someone is the weakest a human can ever be. Forget the other diseases, love is a direct knock down.

 

Jongin stopped at a red light and turned around to face her. Once again and obviously she was still looking at him.

 

"Caught you again," he chuckled.

 

"So what if I look at you." Seulgi blushed as she escaped his gaze and looked at the window.

 

"Alright I'll stop," he gave in when he realized that he could maybe make her feel uncomfortable. It was certainly not the moment to ruin everything.

 

He let a minute pass by and continued to drive in silence but curiosity was eating him alive. He glanced at her three or four times but she didn't look back: she was steadily looking through the window.

 

"Hey, Seulgi," he started nervously with his deep and low voice.

 

"Hum?" she simply answered with her eyes fixated on the window.

 

"Last time… at the cafe…" he continued with difficulty.

 

Seulgi turned around as it was rare for Jongin to ponder on his words that much. He was a man of few words but when he talked, it was usually well thought and nicely expressed. He wasn't one to stutter or ramble, which is something Seulgi always loved about him. She could listen to him all day when they were trainees.

 

"Yes?" she said to encourage him to continue.

 

"You were crying weren't you?"

 

Seulgi was taken aback but she didn't let it show as she answered quickly. Yes she cried and she thought it was okay to let him know. It wasn't for revenge, to make him especially feel bad nor to victimize herself since they were both in the wrong. She admitted it because there was no need to lie to him.

 

"What about it?" Seulgi asked when she saw how tensed Jongin was. His silence just confirmed what she thought: he felt guilty.

 

"I…" he started. "I'm, huh,"

 

"You're sorry?"

 

"Do you hate me?" he said almost simultaneously.

 

They looked at each other with surprise for a few seconds but q

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter