Tears and Pain, only you can heal.

The Childhood Best Friend

In the years that came, we became close like glue. Like my mum said, we ended up going to school and having tutoring sessions together even though I was a few grades below him.

In a way, we were like brother and sister. I thought of Yixing as an older brother who would protect me from anything and everything. For that I am thankful, he was really the only person I had to tell my struggles to.

It started in high school, I don’t know why, but I was bullied a lot, there was just something about me that set people off I guess. It wasn’t enough to break me, but I had more problems in my life than mere bullies.

As mentioned before, my step-dad was a , he didn’t showcase it much when I was younger but now that I have aged, he would constantly harass me about every little thing. For no reason he would start calling me worthless and unneeded. He would use physical harm, but that was rare, living with him caused me more emotional harm. Every day I was brought down to gloom due to his words, for years I tried to figure out why he would treat me like this but could never come up with an answer. He was just plain mean. My mum didn’t know anything either, he would act as if he had done nothing wrong when my mother was around. She was the only one who believed that this family was functional. You must be thinking why I never told her about these occurrences, and believe me I would, but I was fearful for what would happen if I did, something tells me that whatever happens, it wouldn’t be good. That’s why I had my Yixing.

After a few years of friendship with Yixing, he began to become suspicious of the bruises that pop up on my arms and legs or the red puffiness of my eyes. I made excuses until eventually one day I ran out, it was so hard to keep it from him, especially when he cared so much. So that day, I broke down. I told everything to Yixing while crying my eyes out. Yixing just hugged me tightly while I spilled my guts out. To say he was very angry was an understatement. He swore me he would protect me from the monster that took form as my step dad. To this day, every time he sees my step dad, Yixing would bring me closer to him and glare at him when no one was looking.

I spent all of high school like that, every time I was hurt, I would look for Yixing who I believed was angel sent from heaven to take my pain away. His hugs were the absolute best, his arms would surround me tightly as I hid my face within his chest. It felt like I was in my own safe haven when I was in his arms. Nothing could compare to the feeling that was Zhang Yixing. He was the only person who wold make me laugh genuinely, I did have friends but they could not compare to Yixing. He is on another level.

I remember this one time my step dad came home drunk and he really cracked into me. I was merely alone in my room when he came in and started verbally abusing me. He told me I was good for nothing because I was always with Yixing and claimed that my mother should have aborted me when my father left her. It hurt, physical scars can fade away with time. Emotional scaring lasts much longer as there is really no remedy, and when a person continuously experiences this kind of torment, it can really impact on one’s mental state. Tears were the only outlet. However there was one thing that would act as a band aid, it was my Yixing, the only person that I could lean on and learn to cope with.

-------

 

Today is my graduation day, I made it through 4 years of torture both at home and school and couldn’t wait to be done with it. Yixing had already graduated and was now in university studying business so he could take over his families company. Now that he was an adult, he had his own condo where he lived alone. I loved it because we now had a private place to be, it was a place where I could wallow away and escape from reality. One day he even made a promise to me. He said that once I graduate, I could come and live with him.

Now I have finally made it, I can now get out of the hell hole in which I call home and move in with the greatest person ever to exist in this world.

While accepting my certificate from the principle, I look to the crowd and see Yixing there smiling at me with a small wave. I smile back and wave at him to, oblivious to the hundreds of eyes watching me. My mother and stepdad were somewhere in the audience too but I didn’t want to look because if I did, it would ruin my day. How depressing is that?

When the ceremony came to an end, I wasted no time to run and find Yixing. As soon as I found him I ran to hug him with a giant smile on my face.

“Congratulations” he said while he wrapped his arms around me, bringing me into a tighter hug.

“Arghh Yixing, I’m so happy, I can finally live with you!” I scream out in joy as he chuckles at my words.

We break from the hug in time to see my mother and step dad making their way towards us.

“Oh honey congratulations on graduating! I’m so happy, you made me very proud today baby” She says as she hugs and kisses me all over. I don’t know if I mentioned before, but I really love my mum, I just don’t love her preferences in men.

“Thanks mum, I’m proud of myself too” I sarcastically reply, she chuckles at me and turns towards her husband.

“Minjoon! Come and congratulate her, aren’t you so proud of her accomplishment” my mother says as she ushers him to come towards me.

I stiffen at her words, I really don’t want him to come anywhere near me, I try to avoid him at all times. Yixing notices what’s happening and comes up behind me to hold my hand. Thankful that he is there I begin to relax while I stare at the body in front of me.

“Congratulations Holly, you’ve come a long way” he says while he gives me that devilish smirk that sends chills down my spine. I instantly grip harder onto Yixing’s hand to ease my panic.

“Yeah, thanks” I try to say without hinting that I don’t like his presence around me. He nods as he turns around to stand back with my mother.

“So honey what are your plans?” mum asks.

“Well, I was going to go with Yixing, he said he wanted to take me out to celebrate”

“Oh really, aigoo, you to have been the best of friends for so long, I proud of both of you” she says. Yixing just chuckles and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

“Your daughter is just to fun to be around Mrs Kang, I could never give her up” he explains warmly.

His words made my heart flutter ‘I could never give her up’. To be honest my feelings for Yixing have changed this past year. I used to think of him as an older brother that I hold unconditional love for, but now that love is changing into a different sort of love.

“Okay then, we better get going then, I’ll see you later honey” my mum said as she walked off with Minjoon.

“Aish that was so awkward and scary” I exclaimed.

“It’s okay, I was here, nothing will happen to you when I’m here”