Assumptions

My Number One Fan

Minho came quickly as promised, arriving a mere five minutes after Kibum texted him Jonghyun’s address. The wait had been mostly silent, Taemin opting to close his eyes and rest his sore body until need be. He had looked around curiously, and questioned Kibum as to their whereabouts, but other than that his eyes had remained locked at the ceiling, not even noticing Jonghyun whom sat by on the neighbouring couch.

Despite Minho’s obvious impatience, he had in fact rang the doorbell, and Jonghyun silently volunteered to answer the door for the teenager whilst Kibum continued to accompany Taemin. The door creaked open softly, and Jonghyun prepared to greet the stranger politely, only to have his jaw drop in shock at the person who met him on the other side.

“Minho?!”

“Jonghyun hyung?!” they exclaimed simultaneously, eyes widening at the appearance of one another.

“What are you doing here?” questioned Minho confusedly, slyly attempting to peek inside through the gap over Jonghyun’s shoulder.

Jonghyun blinked, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. “I live here?”

Minho made an ‘o’ shape with his mouth, biting his lip in pure befuddlement. “Then have I got the wrong address?”

Jonghyun shook his head furiously, moving back slightly to give Minho a clearer view into the warm home. “No, Taemin’s here with ‘Bummie.”

Minho stood awkwardly, mind racing through a thousand thoughts an hour. He thought back to earlier that day, hurriedly recalling the conversation he’d had with Taemin at lunch. The revelation about Kibum having a boyfriend, the picture of the hug, realising that the other male was Jonghyun—

‘Oh.’

The tall third year nodded in understanding, though his brow quirked slightly at the older’s use of ‘’Bummie’ and everything else that had been revealed at school. He really hadn’t thought of Jonghyun to be into guys, but then again, he didn’t know him that well. Maybe he could talk to Jinki about it – he ought to know.

Jonghyun stood back slightly, allowing Minho to enter. He followed behind the frog like boy and wordlessly guided him to the lounge, watching perplexed as Minho immediately rushed over to the bedridden male. Kibum silently shifted from Taemin’s side and allowed Minho to privately check on Taemin, joining Jonghyun back on the sofa.

“Taemin-ah…You told me you were going to go straight home!” whispered Minho, Taemin’s eyes shooting open at the elder’s familiar voice.

He pushed himself up onto his elbows with strain, flashing Minho a weak smile. “I was going to, I swear. But I forgot my science homework and quickly ran back to get it…I didn’t think they’d still be waiting.”

Minho sighed, reaching out to ruffle Taemin’s hair. “Next time, text me. I’ll go get your homework for you.”

“But I don’t wanna have to rely on you all the time,” pouted Taemin, fiddling with his hands as he avoided eye contact.

“You aren’t relying on me…I just wanna help you, okay? How’d you get rid of them today?”

Taemin bit his lip and glanced at Kibum, only then noticing Jonghyun who sat beside him, tracing shapes on Kibum’s hand. His eyes widened considerably, yet at Minho’s curious look he opted to answer the question first.

“I just remember Kibum coming down the hallway…and then I kinda fell asleep.” he murmured cluelessly, staring at Kibum with a thankful yet curious look glazing his eyes.

Minho averted his attention to Kibum, the silence being self-explanatory as the two youngest awaited Kibum’s response. Kibum’s eyes, which had previously been focused on Jonghyun’s hand drawing circles on his own, lifted at the silence, blinking at the attention directed towards him.

“Huh?” questioned Kibum obliviously, inducing Jonghyun to lift his own gaze before he hastily removed his hand from Kibum’s.

The two older boys immediately felt as though something was missing when their hands separated, however ignored the forlorn chill that flooded their veins and both concentrated their attention back on Minho and Taemin.

Minho spoke first, raising one eyebrow in pure befuddlement at the mere thought of the situation. Because honestly, one could not imagine Kibum using nothing but force to rid a gang of buff guys.

“Taemin and I were wondering how you managed to get rid of those s earlier. Were you alone?”

Kibum’s face remained blank in thought, before all of a sudden a sly smirk played at his lips and a smug appearance adorned his feline face. “Oh, those losers? Yeah, I was alone. Trust me, those guys may look all tough, but a few…insulting words seemed to shut them down in heart beat.”

Jonghyun laughed quietly to himself at Kibum’s arrogant words and kept his gaze fixed on his lap, Taemin allowing a proud grin to grace his lips at Kibum’s recount; however Minho’s expression remained stoic, eyes seemingly glaring into Kibum’s soul. Kibum felt a chill go down his spine at the taller male’s harsh gaze and swallowed thickly.

Look tough? Are you suggesting that Taemin’s weak? What those guys do to him isn’t some kind of sick joke so don’t you dare act like they’re nothing much.”

Kibum stared in shock, and attempted to fumble for a reply to the intimidating male’s accusation. He sincerely hadn’t meant for his arrogant remarks to come off as belittling to Taemin; he was merely stating it as a joke.

Despite his struggle to defend his words, there was really no need as Taemin spoke up and interrupted Minho’s criticizing words timidly.

“Minho—“stuttered the youngest boy in protest, resting his hand on the soccer player’s arm. “I’m sure Kibum didn’t mean it like that…we should be thanking him.”

Kibum held his breath at Taemin’s words, mentally thanking the younger for practically saving him from Minho. He’d barely just made friends with the two at school, and he wouldn’t be able to forgive himself if he ruined his chance at friendship this early.

Minho’s look of anger remained for a few long seconds before he suddenly exhaled deeply and ran his hands over his face in exhaustion. “I know. I’m sorry. I’m just really angry at the moment.”

Taemin shot him an empathetic smile. “Don’t worry, Minho…I’m fine, see? Let’s just change the topic.”

All four boys nodded in mutual agreement, Taemin managing to swing his legs around from their place across the sofa to give Minho some room. He patted the seat beside him, and the tall boy gingerly sat down before carefully lifting Taemin’s thin legs so they could rest leisurely across his thighs.

A comfortable silence lingered throughout the spacious yet cosy lounge, enveloping their lazed forms in a warm, pleasant glow. Taemin surveyed the situation before him from his snug position on the soft couch, studying Jonghyun closely and allowing his mouth to tilt at the ends in approval of his relationship with Kibum.

“So Kibum…” began Taemin casually, adopting an innocent, curious façade despite the sly smirk that seemed to tug at his lips whilst addressing the older boy.

Kibum quirked an eyebrow “Mm?”

Taemin’s smirk only grew wider and his eyes flittered back and forth between Jonghyun and Kibum suggestively. “Are you going to introduce me to your…friend?”

Kibum grinned, oblivious to Taemin’s ulterior motives. He grabbed Jonghyun’s hand out of impulse and gestured extravagantly to the man next to him. “Oh yeah…this is Jonghyun! We met recently and well…He’s kinda my idol.”

Jonghyun and Kibum both chortled at their private joke with identical blushes adorning their faces, neither yet accustomed to the spark which ignited at their physical contact. Taemin’s eyes widened at their now entwined fingers, and if one were to look at him, they would notice the way his eyes glistened in devilry.

Kibum ran his gaze over Minho and Taemin’s astonished expressions before widening his own eyes in belated realization.

“Oh! And Jonghyun, this is Taemin and his friend Minho…”

Taemin nodded his head cutely, as did Minho, adding in a gruff tone, “Jonghyun hyung is my brother’s best friend, we’ve met.”

Jonghyun’s face reddened and Kibum’s mouth dropped into an ‘o’ shape. The younger’s gaze flittered between Minho and Jonghyun questioningly, a million thoughts zooming through his mind like a difficult math equation waiting to be solved.

“Really?! That means…Luna is your sister-in-law!” he exclaimed excitedly after a few seconds of mental calculation, directing his line of sight back to the frog like male.

Minho allowed a small smile to play at his lips, Kibum noting the look of pure joy that crossed his face at her name. “Yeah, Luna’s pretty awesome.”

Kibum grinned, inclining his head in agreement. Out of pure habit, Kibum then shifted his eyes to the clock which hang directly above the fire place, an expression of worry passing over his face hurriedly before adverting back to its prior smile.

Jonghyun, whose gaze had been unintentionally watching Kibum with affection during the past few minutes, picked up on the apprehensive demeanour shrouding the young dancer’s face, and quirked a curious eyebrow at him as their eyes met. Kibum however, merely shook his head, before diverting his stare to Seodam whom had just reappeared via the kitchen.

“How’re you feeling, buddy?” she asked, directing her attention to Taemin who lied draped over Minho’s legs comfortably.

Taemin blinked dazedly at the new arrival, before his eyes lit up in realization and a large smile donned his youthful face. “Much better! Thank you for taking care of me, by the way…I’m sorry for intruding on your home.”

Seodam tutted indignantly, however the slight twitch of her lips contrasted the irate demeanour she currently beheld. “Don’t you dare be sorry, sweetie. If anything like this ever happens again, you’re always welcome to stay here.”

Taemin gnawed on his lower lip in concealed joy, beaming up at Seodam in gratitude. “Thank you.”

Seodam smiled in a motherly manner, eyes scanning over everyone in the room. She nodded to herself in what seemed like satisfaction before she addressed the newly acquainted group.

“Mum was wondering if you would all like to stay for dinner – We’re having chicken.”

Everyone bar Minho’s eyes seemed to light up at that small phrase, shooting each other excited looks at the thought of the delicious meat. Kibum, who still happened to be quite cosy beside Jonghyun on the sofa, gave the older boy a look which seemed to ask for reassurance at the kind offering, raising his eyebrows in questionable doubt. Jonghyun merely smiled widely in confirmation, shrugging his shoulders as if to say ‘it’s fine.’

Taemin, although quite ecstatic at the prospect of chicken, was more so worried about Minho’s reaction, shooting the taller male a look of concern. “You don’t want chicken?” he questioned softly with a pout.

Jonghyun, having heard the youngest boy’s inquiry, snorted in amusement, evoking an irritated glare from Minho. “Knowing Jinki, Minho probably has chicken every day.”

Minho screwed up his face in distaste, rolling his eyes exasperatedly at his older brother’s antics. “Sometimes if Luna’s feeling extra generous it’s more than once a day.” he scoffed.

Minho’s small comment elicited a loud guffaw from the occupants of the room, Sodam feeling enough sympathy to shoot the tall boy an apologetic glance. “Sorry, bud.”

The soccer player merely shrugged in resignation, lips twitching in what Kibum assumed was an attempted smile.  Seodam bounced out of the warm lounge joyfully to relay everything to her mother, the chatter in the room immediately returning at her absence. The group of boys talked adamantly between one another, various topics arising throughout their conversation.

Jonghyun, whom despite was still quite shocked at the events that had occurred that day thus far, was evidently enjoying himself, not often having the chance to chat with other guys around his age. Not going to college nor thriving for social contact didn’t really assist in developing close friendships, however the solitude he usually possessed didn’t bother Jonghyun in the slightest and he was quite content in living the quiet life he currently did.

During their small chat, Jonghyun had found that despite Taemin’s shy and innocent exterior, the youngest male in the room was actually – as Kibum put it – a little , often pointing out the puppy-like man’s inferior height and dinosaur resemblances.

“Yah, Taemin! Only I’m allowed to call Jjong a dinosaur!” Kibum had scolded in defence, not helping Jonghyun’s wounded pride in the slightest.

Minho, like usual, had a deadpan expression plastered on his face, nose still screwed up at the prospect of eating chicken yet again. He contributed to their conversation nonetheless, often adding in small comments which stated his opinion on the topic, but never delving further into the discussion.

Jonghyun’s mum eventually finished preparing their food, walking into the lounge with tousled hair and rosy cheeks which exerted a loving, motherly feel. “Dinner’s ready, boys!” she exclaimed joyously, “Minho – I’ve prepared some bibimbap and vegetables so if you don’t feel like chicken you’re welcome to grab as much of that as you’d like.”

Minho smiled kindly in the older woman’s direction, bowing his head slightly in gratitude.

With a mutual feeling of hunger and eagerness, the boys all hopped up relatively quickly and made their way towards the dining room with a bounce in their step; Jonghyun sitting beside Kibum with Taemin and Minho across from the two older males. Seodam was seated to the left of Jonghyun, and their mother sat contently at the head of the smooth, wooden table.

“This is so cute! It’s been so long since our Hyun-ah’s bought some friends over, it feels like a birthday party!” the middle aged woman exclaimed with a large smile as she dished her food onto her plate, inducing the rest of the occupants to follow her lead and do the same.

Jonghyun immediately felt his face heat up at his mother’s comment, purposely ignoring the smirk Kibum shot his way and the slight nudge of the dancer’s elbow.

As soon as the delicious meal landed upon the taste buds of the group, they began praising Jonghyun’s mum’s cooking with wide, elated smiles. Her face tinged slightly red, however she brushed off their compliments humbly with a small ‘thanks’ and a shy smile.

The overall atmosphere floating throughout the room was a happy one, Kibum feeling quite joyous and excited at the complete contrast Jonghyun’s home held to his own. It wasn’t often he ate dinner with his parents, however when Kibum somehow did get the chance it usually wasn’t an affair filled with sunshine and butterflies, topic usually drifting to studies, girls and his future at one point or another. And Kibum wouldn’t mind talking about those things if it wasn’t for the fact that the future his parents saw for him was not one in which he wanted personally, not to mention that Kibum wasn’t interested in girls. At all. So this warm change of surroundings was quite welcomed in his eyes, taking in as much information and memories as he possibly could of the older boy and his life which seemed so much superior to Kibum’s.

Kibum, although quite deep in thought at this point whilst he chewed on his tender chicken, was knocked out of his reverie by the mention of his name.

“—where did you and Kibum meet?” Seodam had questioned with vast curiosity, Jonghyun seemingly glaring in her direction at the subtle attempt to learn more about her younger brother’s crush.

Kibum blinked in slight confusion, but answered her question politely nonetheless. “Hm? Oh, Jonghyun and I met at the bar he sings at. I started going when I saw these posters around town advertising it.”

Seodam smiled in satisfaction, however her inquisitive expression suggested that she yearned to know more. “He is a great singer, isn’t he? How about you, Kibum? What are you interested in?”

Kibum glowed at the attention, and quickly finished the piece of chicken which currently resided in his mouth. “I really enjoy dancing and fashion design.” he replied proudly, allowing an endearing smile to etch across his lips.

“Well you are quite fashionable! What university do you go to, Kibum?” added Jonghyun’s mother interestedly in question, resting her chin on her palm in fascination.

Kibum blinked confusedly.

‘University?’

“Oh no, I’m still in high school Mrs Kim.”

Seodam and Jonghyun’s mother blanched, heads immediately whipping to gape at Jonghyun inquisitively. Kibum and Jonghyun’s cheeks flushed crimson at the mere look upon the women’s faces, both feeling the desire to defend themselves.

“But I’m in my last year! I’m already 19.” spoke Kibum hastily, Jonghyun nodding in a way that looked as though he was attempting to reassure himself.

The older woman’s dumbfounded expression slowly transformed into an understanding grin, and she chose to ignore the pointed look of cheek that Sodam was directing at her. “Oh, that’s quite alright, dear. I just assumed you were in college, but now that I look closely, you do seem quite young.”

Seodam seemingly couldn’t remain quiet any longer, her current knowledge of Jonghyun’s crush preventing her from ignoring the situation before her eyes. She rolled her eyes playfully, cocking a dubious eyebrow in their mother’s direction.  “C’mon mum, just look at how young Taemin looks! There’s no way they’re in uni,”

Taemin’s eyes lifted in surprise at the mention of his own name, however it wasn’t that part of Seodam’s comment which caught his attention. The young woman continued, despite the amusing effort made by Jonghyun’s mother to defend her assumptions.

“—and don’t worry Hyun-ah. I think you dating a high schooler makes it extra adorable!”

Everyone bar Seodam’s eyes bugged at her remark, Jonghyun in particular glaring in disbelief at her careless tongue. Kibum rose an astonished yet curious eyebrow, blushing profusely at the knowing looks he was receiving from Taemin.

‘I’m not even dating Jonghyun! What is everyone on about? I swear I’m the only sane one remaining…’

Jonghyun coughed awkwardly, shyly shooting Kibum an apologetic glance from the corner of his eye.

“Seodam...Could you please shut your mouth for at least a second? Kibum and I are just friends, so I’d appreciate it if you didn’t embarrass us any further.” Jonghyun spoke firmly, ignoring the clench of his heart at his scathing, yet truthful words.

Kibum didn’t understand why it pained him so much to hear those words spilling from Jonghyun’s mouth, but it did. It wasn’t even as though the two were actually dating, let alone Jonghyun liking Kibum in that way at all, so he should have expected such a defensive remark from the singer, yet he could still feel his mood damper considerably at Jonghyun’s exclamation.

“Geez, sorry guys…it was just a joke.” apologized Seodam softly, not missing the crestfallen expression on Kibum’s face.

She smiled inwardly despite the circumstances.

‘Perhaps Jonghyun does have a chance with Kibum after all…”

Taemin’s mind at this point was confused beyond comprehension. This whole time he had thought that Kibum really was dating Jonghyun…but for the singer to deny it so defensively? It really didn’t make sense to Taemin. Had they really not been dating this whole time? Or were the two just keeping their relationship a secret from everyone? Judging by the look upon Kibum’s face at that moment however, he knew there was a deeper meaning behind it all. Taemin shook his head to rid himself of his puzzling thoughts, assuring himself that he’d figure it out later on.

An awkward, uncomfortable chill had engulfed the room, so quiet that you could hear the clatter of cutlery against plates. Jonghyun chewed on his chicken half-heartedly, regret filling his stomach at his previous words instead of the delicious, white meat. Jonghyun’s mother attempted to ignore the stifling silence, starting a new conversation when that proved to be fruitless.

“So Minho, how are Luna and Jinki? Still on a romantic high, I’m guessing.”

Everyone seemed to sigh in relief at the change of topic, Minho allowing a slight chuckle to escape his lips. “Most definitely. It’s suffocating sometimes, really. But they’re in love, so who am I to rain on their parade?”

Taemin grinned, and the women seemed to be fangirling over Minho’s response. “That’s so adorable! You might be an uncle soon, Minho…watch out!”

The tall boy spluttered, waving his hands in front of him defensively. “Oh please, I’d rather not think about that.” he spoke, eliciting a wave of laughter from the table’s occupants.

“To be honest, I haven’t seen Jinki in a while! Tell him I want to catch up, won’t you?” added Jonghyun as an afterthought, a tone of amusement still lacing his voice.

Minho nodded in agreement, a rare, joyous smile etched onto his handsome face.

For the next half hour or so, the conversation ran smoothly, an abundance of different topics being brought up despite the small amount of time. They talked about Seodam’s time in medical school, Minho’s dreams to play soccer in England, Key and Taemin’s previous ‘rivalry’ and even how Jonghyun came to start singing at the bar. Light chuckles and loud voices cascaded throughout the room, rebounding off the warm furniture and enveloping everyone in a snug, comfortable glow. It was a welcome contrast to the previous atmosphere, however the time ticked by quickly and Taemin soon received a text from his parents requesting he return home.

Minho and Taemin left for the soccer player’s car with a friendly wave, but not before Taemin bowed deeply in gratitude at the two women for their hospitality and thanked them for their services.

“Any time, dear.” Jonghyun’s mother had replied, bidding the two farewell with a final reminder to take care of themselves.

After the two younger boys had made their way home, Jonghyun’s mother and Seodam had left the dining room with plates in hand, off to wash the dirty dishes. Jonghyun and Kibum were left alone, the awkward silence returning once more at the lack of people. Jonghyun his lips and wrung his hands in his lap, looking at Kibum shyly through his short lashes.

“I’m sorry for what I said before.” he apologized suddenly.

Kibum blinked in astonishment, lifting his own gaze to lock eyes with Jonghyun. “Why are you apolo—“

“I know it was really harsh and came off as a bit rude…but I swear I didn’t mean it like that! It’s just, Seodam always assumes things and embarrasses me, and I didn’t want her to scare you off by saying all that stuff.” Jonghyun interrupted, speaking quickly so as to say everything he wanted to without Kibum cutting him off.

Kibum remained silent as Jonghyun spoke, seemingly stoic yet inwardly melting at the older male’s mini speech and puppy dog eyes. How did he ever believe he could stay angry at this beautiful man?

“Jjong...don’t worry.” Kibum reassured, smiling softly and grabbing Jonghyun’s hand to interlace with his own. “I really don’t mind, alright? Unlike popular belief, I do in fact have a sense of humour.”

Jonghyun snorted, and ran his thumb over Kibum’s hand in relief. “You do, and it’s quite funny.”

Kibum poked his tongue out teasingly. “Why, thank you kind sir.”

 “It’s an honour, my prince.”

The two laughed heartily at their own stupid antics and joked around some more, before Jonghyun eventually stood up and offered Kibum a beer from the fridge. Kibum nodded in agreement, and checked the time on his phone nervously with a sigh as Jonghyun sat back down.

“Something wrong?” he questioned.

Kibum looked up from his phone screen with furrowed brows, taking the beer can tentatively out of Jonghyun’s hand and pulling it open with a light fizz. “It’s pretty late…I have school tomorrow but I really don’t want to go home. My parents are going to kill me.”

Jonghyun took a glance at the clock, and hummed in agreement. “What time do your parents leave for work in the morning?”

Kibum looked in thought for a few seconds, before replying, “Around five.”

Jonghyun nodded, and small smile flittered onto his face as though he had just thought of something pleasant. “Perfect. You could sleep here tonight, and then tomorrow morning I’ll drive you to your house so you can get changed and stuff.”

Kibum gaped at Jonghyun’s generosity, abandoning his beer on the wooden table before moving forward to wrap the singer in a hug. “Thank you,” he whispered, unknowingly causing chills to run down the older boy’s spine.

“N-no worries.” replied Jonghyun, smiling widely into the hug and wrapping his own arms around Kibum’s waist.

The two lingered in the hug for what was probably deemed too long for just ‘friends’, however they chose to ignore that fact and pulled apart reluctantly after a minute or so. They made their way back over to the couch and practically fell onto its soft cushions unceremoniously, Jonghyun turning on the television and gesturing for Kibum to lean against his shoulder. ­­­Kibum, albeit hesitantly, shuffled over to do exactly that, leaning on Jonghyun’s arm stiffly with his can gripped awkwardly between his hands.

Jonghyun giggled at Kibum’s obvious discomfort before placing his own drink beside him and adjusting their position so Kibum’s head laid cosily across his thighs. Kibum rolled onto his side so he was facing the television, however it was obvious to see he was attempting to cover his embarrassed blush from the singer. Jonghyun smiled fondly down at the young boy, wondering how on earth he had managed to befriend such a beautiful, caring, and funny boy. He unconsciously began to run his hand through Kibum’s luscious locks, the younger boy closing his eyes in pleasure and purring softly at the calming gesture.

Jonghyun didn’t know how long he sat there, casually smoothing his fingers through the younger’s hair, but soon he could hear the deep, even breaths coming from Kibum’s form and grinned in affection. The rising and falling of Kibum’s chest and the ticking of the clock eventually lolled Jonghyun himself to sleep, head falling back in exhaustion with the sight of Kibum’s beautiful, sleeping face etched into his mind seeming more at peace than ever.