Intricate Spiral of Lies

My Number One Fan

It seemed as though along with Kibum’s underlying anger and annoyance, any sign of noise within the noise had vanished entirely. Still remaining in their position on the bed, Jonghyun now held Kibum close within his arms, nestled cozily together so that Kibum’s crown rested beneath Jonghyun’s chin. The only noticeable movement throughout the whole room was the rise and fall of their chests as they breathed, along with the motion of Jonghyun running his small hands up and down the groove of Kibum’s waist.

Kibum’s eyelids fluttered open marginally and he glanced up at Jonghyun through the minimal gap of his eyelashes. Almost immediately, a dopey grin had formed on his face and Kibum found himself reaching up tentatively to twine his fingers through Jonghyun’s hair.

Biting his lip as though trying to conceal a grin, Jonghyun flushed a brilliant shade of rose before hurriedly leaning down to claim Kibum’s lips with his own. Kibum squeaked slightly in surprise before his eyes drifted shut and he returned the kiss, savoring the drawn out, languid embrace with a contented sigh. It was sloppy and lazy, with hands prickling over their skin softly and no rush whatsoever, but soon enough Kibum found himself craving more and flipped their positions so that he was on top once again.

With parted lips and flushed red cheeks, Jonghyun lay beneath him, with a wisp of a smile and an alluring glint in his eyes that Kibum was fairly certain he’d never seen before. Leaning down, Kibum began with placing a chaste peck on Jonghyun’s swollen lips and pulled back again to gauge his reaction. A giggle escaped Kibum’s lips as Jonghyun’s poked out in a disappointed pout, and so he leisurely ducked down to place another light kiss to the corner of his mouth. Jonghyun’s eyes fluttered shut as Kibum moved to his jawline and then the top of his neck, leaving feather-light kisses in his wake, and he hummed silently in approval.

Jonghyun’s hands, which previously laid unoccupied by his sides, were now running up the hem of Kibum’s shirt, sliding over the younger male’s torso in greed. Kibum shivered involuntarily as Jonghyun’s calloused palms made contact with his chest and hurriedly he kissed Jonghyun square on the mouth, throwing his prior slow pace entirely out the window. Jonghyun smirked and returned the action whole-heartedly, prodding at Kibum’s lips with his tongue in a request for entry.

It was safe to say he didn’t have to prod for long, and soon their tongues were in a battle of dominance while their noses bumped messily against the other. Neither boy paid any mind to the flaws in their inexperienced endeavor, merely savoring the adrenaline being so close and connected provided for them. Jonghyun’s hands remained beneath Kibum’s shirt, and once or twice they’d swiped over the little nubs curiously in order to gain a glimpse of that throaty gasp Jonghyun reveled in gratefully.

Still with Kibum straddling Jonghyun’s waist, both boys could begin to feel the heat in the room rising at a rapid pace. And so it was only after a mere split second of contemplation when Kibum decided to preoccupy his lax hands and clumsily start ing the chest of Jonghyun’s shirt, nimble fingers shaking in a mixture of inexperience and anticipation. Jonghyun laughed breathily into the kiss and adjusted his hands to help, shedding his shirt carelessly onto the floor and continuing eagerly from where they left off.

This time however, Kibum’s long fingers traced the grooves of Jonghyun’s flat torso, the worn remnants of what used to be a six pack turning to gooseflesh with each light touch. He felt his breaths shallowing and his cheeks turning to rouge, and kissed Kibum with all the fever and passion and admiration he had stored up within him. They kissed and they kissed and they kissed, mouth against mouth and chest against chest, wholeheartedly relishing in the sheer feeling of being connected by something so sincere and personal. Something that was only to be shared between them.

Well, up until Amber came bursting into the room unannounced, at least.

Within a second, Kibum and Jonghyun had dived away from each other ungracefully and were frantically smoothening their clothes down in a fruitless attempt to appear innocent. This feat was especially difficult for Jonghyun who was now reaching over the bed awkwardly for his discarded shirt. Their faces were glowing a brighter rouge than you’d believe, but one glance at Amber proved that they weren’t the pinkest faces in the room.

Kibum and Jonghyun weren’t quite sure whether she was suffering from second hand embarrassment or was just simply drunk.

Amber’s jaw was dropped and she was assessing the scene before her with wide, astonished eyes. First her gaze fell upon their swollen lips and flushed cheeks, and the crease between her brows became more prominent. Then, it shot to Jonghyun’s clumsy attempt to slip his shirt back on, and the loud snort of amusement that escaped her lips was seemingly inevitable.

“Oh. My. ing. God.” she spoke, giving Kibum a pointed glare.

Kibum hung his head down in sheer embarrassment, not risking the chance to lift his head and be met with what was a smug yet betrayed expression upon his best friend’s face. Perhaps if he’d informed Amber immediately when the next step in his relationship had progressed he wouldn’t feel so ashamed and guilty, however now it was too late and Kibum was afraid to face the impending consequences.

He chanced a glance up at Amber’s face, but she simply scoffed loudly before, albeit much to Kibum’s surprise, letting out a loud wolf whistle. “Two hot guys making out on my bed and they didn’t even invite the host to watch. This is just despicable, Kibum.”

Fire felt as though it was burning within his cheeks, and all Kibum wanted to do in that particular moment was roll away under the bed and hide his discernable humiliation for the remainder of eternity. “Don’t be such a ert and piss off,” he cried, ears fuming pink.

“Fine, fine – but next time at least record it, alright?”

And with that, she was gone, leaving the room silent once more.

Kibum screamed loudly in aggravation, the brunt of the volume concealed by a motionless nearby pillow. After his frustrations had been expressed, he turned to observe Jonghyun sprawled out upon the floor, his buttons uneven from a desperate attempt to hastily appear dignified. Judging by his appearance, it was obvious to see that Jonghyun’s endeavors hadn’t been a success.

“Well that was the most humiliating thing I’ve ever experienced.” He spoke promptly after a few tense, silent seconds.

Emitting a loud noise in between that of a snort and a scoff, Kibum lay down on the bed and placed his hands beneath his head. “At least it was only Amber…Imagine if Minho had walked in.” He shuddered violently. “Actually, don’t. But seriously, what if some jock from school had seen us instead? I suppose luck is on our side today.”

The eldest of the two nodded vehemently and crawled back up onto the bed. “Ugh, this is why I tend to avoid social situations.”

Pouting, Kibum engulfed Jonghyun in a tight hug and whispered into his ear: “Is that you suggesting you’d rather go someplace else?”

A shiver ran down Jonghyun’s spine at the sheer husky tone Kibum’s voice beheld, but it was hard to determine whether such a tone was intentional or not. He placed a soft, lingering kiss to the side of Kibum’s neck and muttered in response. “Perhaps.”

And so, it was only a mere few minutes later when Jonghyun and Kibum found themselves situated back in the living room from in which they had begun the night, bidding their farewells to the remainder of the guests. Amber seemed only mildly disheartened at their departure, but Taemin, who was still seated upon the floor beside Minho, regarded them with furrowed brows. Kibum tilted his head in concern for the younger, but still treaded backwards toward the door where Jonghyun was currently waiting.

But before they could even push the mesh door marginally open, Taemin was all of a sudden standing by their side, questioning softly if they could possibly drop him home. Despite their clear desire of being alone in that moment, one couldn’t simply ignore the pale expression of Taemin’s face, and so they agreed immediately and guided Taemin out of the house. “Are you feeling alright?” questioned Kibum in a motherly tone, opening the back door and helping Taemin inside.

Nodding unconvincingly, Taemin closed his eyes upon taking seat and muttered a low ‘thank you.’ The only assumption that could be made then of the situation was that Taemin, unused to the effects of alcohol, had simply consumed too much. Jonghyun drove to his house in silence, and the couple made sure Taemin was safely inside before finally pulling back onto the quiet night’s road.

“Poor kid.” remarked Kibum with a sympathetic frown. “He probably had to down so many shots. His innocence wouldn’t have allowed him to do much else.”

Jonghyun hummed in response. In his opinion, there was something quite the contrary to alcohol the matter with Taemin, but he opted to remain silent and instead focus on the road ahead of him. After all, it would do no good to get in an accident before even taking a glimpse at Kibum’s shirtless torso.

The two males soon found themselves within Jonghyun’s home, quite elated at the missing presence of any other inhabitants within the house. Upon first entering Jonghyun’s small yet cozy bedroom, there was nothing shared between the boys except for silence, loitering awkwardly within the frame of the entrance door. However it seemed that said awkwardness was never expected to last long, and within seconds the door was closed and Kibum pushed against it, knees failing him at Jonghyun’s sudden yet not surprising attack.

Lips were moving against lips without contemplation, and though desperate and uncontrolled, Kibum nevertheless found himself writhing in pleasure, even moving so far as to hook a leg around Jonghyun’s waist. Jonghyun responded immediately to the said action by moving instinctively closer to Kibum, but never the while parted their lips to even take a small gulp of the fresh, cool air. His hands, tiring of their position on the unmoving wooden door, adjusted to instead be gliding against the smooth skin of Kibum’s waist, tugging at his shirt ever so slightly.

And along with that small movement, Kibum began to guide them in another direction, finding themselves wrapped up upon a bed for the second time that evening. Jonghyun’s button shirt had been discarded within much quicker seconds this time around, and Kibum relished in grazing his hands over the bare flesh of Jonghyun’s thin yet firm chest. Jonghyun hovered over Kibum now and pulled away reluctantly, breathing heavily as his gaze raked over Kibum’s. Their eyes remained locked as Jonghyun gently began to pull at Kibum’s shirt, and the younger didn’t hesitate in the slightest before adjusting his body in assistance and hastily disposing of his shirt in addition to Jonghyun’s.

Jonghyun’s eyes raked over Kibum’s now bare stomach and widened in unadulterated awe of the younger. His skin was smooth and pale, and Jonghyun could observe the beginnings of definition forming on his tight torso. Their eyes met once again, and Kibum looked unusually nervous, cheeks blushing in anxiety and self-doubt. Smiling wistfully to himself, Jonghyun lowered his head and placed a lengthened, sensual kiss to the top of Kibum’s defined collarbone.

His eyes fluttered shut immediately in pleasure, hands hastily flying up to weave themselves within the now tangled locks of Jonghyun’s hair. Jonghyun continued with a smirk, languorously kissing and and biting at the same spot of Kibum’s neck with desire. Although he was attempting furiously to remain silent throughout the whole affair, Kibum’s brain was not in agreeance, and unconsciously he heard a near inaudible grunt escape his lips.

Freezing in shock, Jonghyun pulled away marginally and studied Kibum, whose ears were now burning pink in sheer embarrassment. He felt a smile of adoration embellishing his face, and reached a hand forward to fondly caress Kibum’s chin. And then he was on Kibum’s collarbone once again, relishing in all the different sounds and reactions he could elicit from the younger male.

It was out of instinct, and much to both of the boys’ surprise however, when Kibum’s hips bucked up against Jonghyun’s, unprepared for the simultaneous moan of pleasure escaping both of them. The feeling, although utmost pleasurable, was foreign to them, and Jonghyun pulled away in a mixture of astonishment and discomposure. He honestly had no idea of where to go from that point, and loitered awkwardly atop of Kibum’s tall frame.

Kibum huffed in light laughter. It wasn’t difficult to see that he felt similarly about the whole incident, but nevertheless pulled Jonghyun back down and meshed their lips together firmly. It was this time around however when Kibum, instead of by accident, cautiously pushed his hips up in curiosity and unfamiliarity. The tightening in Jonghyun’s pants became evident only to himself, and his arms wobbled precariously from their position in holding him up.

“K-Ki,” he muttered with a discreet moan. “Maybe we shouldn’t yet…I-I don’t think I’m ready.”

The younger smiled at Jonghyun’s ability to remain honest, and instead just kissed him unhurriedly on the lips. “That’s okay.” he spoke in response. “I don’t think I am, either.”

They spent the remainder of the time simply kissing gently, every now and then relishing in the feeling of running their hands lazily over the other’s bare torso. Perhaps an hour or so passed with a mixture of unassuming kisses, snuggles, and quiet words, but soon enough both Jonghyun and Kibum could feel their eyelids drooping in exhaustion. And so they fell asleep promptly upon Jonghyun’s bed not long after, wrapped up within each other’s embrace warmly beneath the thin duvet.

It was certain to say that the two of them slept heavily that night, not once even stirring whilst in the comfort of the other’s soothing presence. Their dreams consisted of nothing but reality, recounts of past events in which had occurred over the very past few days. And it was simply amazing – awakening with gleaming faces and a positive surprise upon realizing that the contents of their dream weren’t yet over.

Jonghyun ran his hand carelessly through Kibum’s brown/black hair and bopped him on the nose tenderly, placing one last peck on the crown of his forehead before carefully climbing out of bed. Already, he could smell the heavenly breakfast scent wafting in from the kitchen down the hall, and after giving one last glance at the still slumbering Kibum, left the room. They’d been up quite late the night before, and Jonghyun figured that the younger boy deserved a sleep in, quite impossible for an insomniac such as himself.

“Morning,” he yawned loudly as he set foot into the dining room, taking his usual seat at the table.

Seodam wiggled her eyebrows suggestively upon observing Jonghyun’s shirtless body and slid a plate of toast, bacon and eggs before him. “You look like you’ve been busy…” she snorted to herself, before sliding into her own seat across from her brother.

Merely rolling his eyes, Jonghyun began to eat greedily, stuffing the toast into his mouth without consideration. “Yeah – sleeping.”

Their mother’s lip turned at Jonghyun’s lack of manners, and she gently slapped him over the arm. “Eat nicely. Did Kibum sleep over last night?”

Jonghyun slowed his pace with minimal change and nodded. “We just crashed here after the party last night – Kibum was too tired to head home. It’s a further drive to his house.”

“Oh of course, the poor boy. He’s probably too busy studying for his end of year exams. Aren’t they in around a month from now?”

“Yeah, that’s right. And then comes university…if he’s considering it of course.” added Seodam knowingly, and Jonghyun felt his eyes widening in sudden realization.

How had he been so inconsiderate to Kibum’s grades? At every minute of the day, all he’d been thinking about was spending time with the younger and going out on dates, but this whole time he’d utterly ignored the boy’s most important priorities. He gnawed on his lip harshly and all of a sudden the food on his plate didn’t seem so appetizing. “Ah yeah…he reckons he’ll go to university but who knows?”

Right in that moment, Kibum’s face appeared around the corner, and he smiled widely upon observing Seodam and Mrs Kim in the room. “Good morning!” he spoke warmly, stepping into the kitchen and taking a seat to the left of his boyfriend. He adorned a large shirt from Jonghyun’s drawer and his body seemed to be swimming in the garment, hanging loosely off his shoulders.

“Morning, hon!” greeted Jonghyun’s mother, beaming contentedly at her son’s close friend.

Seodam hurried up from her seat and grabbed a plate for Kibum, placing it in front of him with an affectionate grin. “Good morning, ‘Bummie!” she spoke brightly, a sly glint shimmering within her wide brown eyes.

“We were actually just talking about you, Kibum,” noted the eldest Kim family member. “Are you planning to go to university?”

Surprised at the sudden enquiry, Kibum’s mouth fell into an ‘o’, but he replied honestly nonetheless. “To be honest, I haven’t thought about it much. I mean, I’ll probably go because of my parents, but it’s not really on the forefront of my mind right now.”

“Ah of course! You want to dance, don’t you Kibum? I think it’s wonderfu—“

The woman suddenly halted in her tracks and her face whitened in untainted astonishment, overcome with an abrupt inability to speak. “K-Kibum…” she stuttered, making a strange gesture towards his now rigid figure.

Although Kibum and Jonghyun were beyond confused at this current point in time, Seodam’s gaze followed her mother’s line of site and she choked on her food, battling between a squeal of surprise and hysterical laughter. The end result was an odd mixture of the two, and Kibum’s worry lines only deepened in misunderstanding. “W-what? What’s wrong?”

And then Jonghyun’s face was stark white, before flushing completely crimson in utmost humiliation. “Ki,” he whispered, voice strained. “You’re neck.”

Kibum tensed before tentatively lifting his hand to touch his neck, and then closed his eyes tightly in understanding. He hurriedly adjusted the large shirt so it sat higher on his shoulders and neck, burying his ferociously warm face into his large hands. This was too much for Seodam who unexpectedly burst into loud giggles, wiggling her eyebrows and doing a strange dance in Jonghyun’s direction.

“My gosh…” started Mrs Kim. “That party must’ve been a crazy one.”

Hands fell from Kibum’s face and he peaked up at the woman with a raised eyebrow. Had she not yet figured out—

His thoughts were interrupted by Seodam face palming loudly, and she narrowed a glare in her mother’s direction. “How can you be so oblivious, mum? Jonghyun wakes up shirtless after Kibum slept here last night, Kibum walks out with a damn large hickey on his neck while wearing Jonghyun’s shirt…It really can’t get more obvious than that!”

Jonghyun sat silently, trying desperately to put an end to Seodam’s rant via gestures across the table, however the older girl payed no attention whatsoever. He felt his stomach drop in dread, but opted to instead still in resignation. How much trouble he was going to get in for not telling his mother beforehand, he didn’t know, but he knew that the end result was going to be anything but pretty. Meanwhile, Kibum was slumped over dejectedly in his seat, watching the whole scene unfold with wide, embarrassed eyes. With no prior knowledge that Seodam already knew of he and Jonghyun’s relationship, it was safe to discern Kibum was beyond humiliated and desperate at that point, yet could do nothing as the gears in Jonghyun’s mother’s head turned frantically.

Then her head was whipping to face Jonghyun in disbelief, and she began to look between her son and the younger boy in gradual comprehension. “You mean...Jonghyun gave you that?!”

Wanting no more than to curl up into a ball and fade into a speck of nothing, Kibum worried his lip between his teeth and ignored eye contact. How would Jonghyun’s mother react upon finding out about him being with another boy? If it had been his own parents, Kibum would’ve been out of the house in mere seconds, never to return. Seodam looked rather chip during the entire ordeal, and although that should’ve at least done something to reassure Kibum’s doubts, it did nothing but put him further on edge. Jonghyun looked similarly to Kibum, bar the anxiety that was positive to be displayed on Kibum’s expression at that particular moment. Trepidation was present, but it was a different type to Kibum’s, and the younger boy just couldn’t place his finger on what it might be for. Well, up until Jonghyun’s mother spoke up, at least.

“T-then Jonghyun…Why didn’t you tell me sooner?! You know, I’ve been praying that you’ll win Kibum over every night! I’m your mother, for goodness sake!”

Kibum blanched. That had absolutely not been the reaction he’d expected yet Jonghyun looked completely composed, merely cringing at the disappointed tone in his mother’s voice. But it wasn’t the type of disappointment that Kibum would expect to spill from his parent’s mouths, so certainly it was quite the surprise. “You mean, you’re not mad?” he questioned quietly, tiptoeing lightly over the subject in caution.

“I’m just mad that you didn’t tell me sooner! Let me tell you, Kibum; Jonghyun’s had a crush on you for ages. And here I was, suffering in silence, whilst everyone else around me already knew! But no, honey, I’m not mad that you’re together. You two are just too adorable for any of that nonsense!”

And then Kibum, being the sensitive, hormonal teenager that he was, felt a few tears splatter down his porcelain cheeks. Immediately, the concern exuding from every inhabitant in the room was considerable, but most especially Jonghyun’s. “Ki! Are you alright?” he questioned hurriedly, clasping their hands together in a tight lock.

The student sniffled before scooting up from his seat. “Y-yeah, I’m alright…I just, didn’t expect you to be so nice about everything. ‘Scuse me, I need to go to the bathroom.” His cheeks were hued pink as he left, and he was frantically swiping at his eyes in a desperate attempt to rid of the tears residing there.

Jonghyun’s mother’s head tilted, and she directed a curious glance in her son’s direction. “What did I say wrong?”

“Nothing, mum…I think it’s just the fact this his parents are the total opposite about this type of thing.” replied Jonghyun, face contorting into a displeasing sneer. “Can you believe—His dad scolded him the other day for wearing eyeliner. Said all this about how he wouldn’t let his son look like a ‘.’ I wanted to punch him right there on the spot, let me tell you.”

Seodam gasped and his mother shook her head indignantly. “The poor boy…Well be sure to tell him he’s welcome any time, alright? No matter what!”

A faint yet genuine smile found its way onto Jonghyun’s face. “I will, mum. Don’t worry.”

Kibum returned soon, fortunately this time with a lack of tears and instead a happy grin adorning his features. He looked mildly embarrassed, but nonetheless sat back down at the table and consumed the rest of his meal contentedly. The topic of their relationship wasn’t brought up throughout the rest of breakfast, to both Jonghyun and Kibum’s relief, and eventually noon was nearing and it was about time that Kibum ought to head back home – much to his chagrin, of course.

Like usual, Jonghyun took his boyfriend in the car and dropped him home reluctantly, sharing a few more sweet, innocent pecks before finally bidding their farewells and departing. And it was on this same day that Jonghyun figured he ought to catch up with Jinki, his best friend in whom he saw not often enough. Although he might’ve liked to, Jonghyun knew he couldn’t constantly be an introverted hermit, and understood that effort was required to sustain strong relationships with those around you. Besides, it had been far too long since he’d seen the bubbly guy.

“So,” began Jinki, taking an idle sip of his coffee and leaning towards Jonghyun in a mixture of fascination and intrigue. “Minho told me you were at his friend’s party last night. Since when do you go to parties? And with school kids, nevertheless.”

Scratching the back of neck sheepishly, Jonghyun could only offer a bashful grin. “I was Kibum’s plus one.”

The married man made an ‘o’ face in response, and simply studied Jonghyun in silence. “So you two are…boyfriends?” He spoke tentatively after a short while, muttering the last word in a hushed whisper as though afraid to be heard.

Jonghyun nodded marginally, but suddenly felt surprisingly uncomfortable. He didn’t recall ever feeling this awkward in front of Jinki before, and didn’t enjoy the feeling of not being able to look him in the eyes in the slightest. He wasn’t ashamed of dating Kibum, another boy for that matter; but the way in how Jinki was assessing him somehow tore down all his resolve and left his vulnerabilities bare on the table to be picked at.

With a now tight expression, Jinki informed Jonghyun that he thought that was nice. Jonghyun didn’t believe that Jinki thought it very nice at all, and bit his lip harshly. Upon lifting his mug once more, he realized with wide eyes that his hands were now shaking, and he hurriedly placed his beverage back onto the table. Jinki had noticed too it seemed, and peered at Jonghyun with utmost concern.

“It’s just a surprise is all…” he spoke gently. “I had never thought of it before. But, a-are you sure you’re making the right choice, Jjong?”

Before he had even completed his query, Jonghyun was nodding feverishly in response to his best friend. “I’ve never been surer about anything in my life. I know it’s a little foreign, Jinki. It is to me as well, but it’s a good kind of foreign, y’know? Like stepping off a plane and feeling instantly refreshed because you’ve finally reached your destination. And never wanting to go back home because the feeling and the experience is just too unbelievably incredible, a-and you want it to last forever.”­

Following his short speech, there was silence, however Jinki’s expression regarded Jonghyun appraisingly. A smile grew gradually onto his face, eyes almost disappearing entirely at the simple yet truly authentic action. “You really like him, don’t you?”

“A heck of a lot.” replied Jonghyun.

“Then I respect your decision and support your relationship wholeheartedly. And although I probably won’t be of much use, feel free to call me if you need to talk about it at any time.”

Touched, Jonghyun grinned widely, and took a large gulp of his now lukewarm coffee without shaking in the slightest. “Thanks, Jinki. But seriously, how’s everything in your life going? We haven’t caught up in forever.”

The man in question’s face brightened immediately, and an eager sort of glint found its way into his eyes. His cup, being now emptied, gave the opportunity for him to talk at his usual boisterous pace without pause, and so officially began their long overdue catchup session. In that short remaining half hour, Jonghyun was enlightened of Luna’s progression at university as well as Minho’s suddenly blooming confidence. At the sheer expression of extreme pride upon Jinki’s face, it was most definitely safe to say he cared significantly for his brother, but Jonghyun couldn’t be too surprised considering the circumstances.

Being Jinki’s close friend from the age of fourteen, Jonghyun had been witness to the sheer negligence of his parents first handedly, and could immediately sympathize with the now matured male’s upbringing. Back in those days of high school, it had not been uncommon for Jinki to arrive at his house with small bruises upon his arms, and although Jonghyun had never commented on them at that age, he’d certainly taken notice.

At the time, Jinki had simply brushed off any of Jonghyun’s concerns without a bat of his eyelids, but when he turned eighteen, Jinki began uncommonly counting down the days before he could legally leave home. And that is exactly what had happened. On his nineteenth birthday, Jinki had packed his things at midnight, awoken Minho, and set off to Luna’s house – his two year girlfriend at that point in time.

Of course, without intending to intrude on Luna’s family, Jinki had continued to send Minho to school whilst working vehemently two casual jobs. Jonghyun had remembered being of great assistance to Jinki at those times, often coming around to simply play video games and put the elder’s mind at ease. Although it had most definitely been difficult, Jinki eventually had gathered enough savings to rent his own apartment and engage to Luna, and before they knew it the small family of three were living among themselves comfortably, their bond infinitely stronger because of the journey it had taken to get there.

Jonghyun regarded Jinki over the table admiringly, grinning at the sheer brightness adorning the older male’s features. It was as though his skin was glowing in pride, and his respect for his best friend in that very moment was greater than it had ever been. Already he’d been through more than most people his age, but still Jinki managed to keep his zestful outlook on life and Jonghyun didn’t think he’d ever be able to mature as finely as he had. “I’m just glad he’s finally opening up…Kibum told me he’s captain of the soccer team.”

Jinki beamed. “Yeah…his coach reckons he could qualify for a university scholarship if he keeps it up. I don’t want him to be under any pressure, though.”

“With skills like that I doubt he’d have to be. You really have to stop worrying, Jinki. He’s nearly an adult himself.” reassured Jonghyun kindly, finally taking notice of the faint worry lines which littered the married man’s forehead.

The older of the two smiled in gratitude. “I suppose you’re right.”

The first thing Kibum was met with upon arriving home was the icy glare of his father, which seemed to pierce into his very soul with scrutiny.

“Kibum.” the man spoke coldly, hands holding so tightly onto the home phone that his knuckles gleamed white.

Throat tightening in trepidation, Kibum swallowed thickly and felt himself unconsciously smoothening his shirt down in an attempt to seem gracious. “Um…Hello?”

“It’s no time for warm greetings, boy. The school rang last night when you were gone.”

Kibum felt hit chest constrict in apprehension and his breaths shortening in the utmost anxiety. They couldn’t have. But that teacher had seen Kibum kissing Jonghyun with his own two eyes, and if was really that homophobic, surely he would have said something. His head darted around the room in a desperate search for his mother, but judging by the strong scent of kimchi wafting from the kitchen, she was currently preoccupied. Attempting to breathe deeply and calm down was fruitless, and so Kibum returned his gaze to his father, and questioned with a stutter. “Oh yeah? W-what did they want to talk about?”

If Kibum’s father could narrow his gaze any more than he was doing so right now, the man would have found his eyes to be shut, and Kibum in that moment was honestly fearing the worst. “They told me that you had after school detention yesterday. And I must say, that was quite a surprise for your mother and I, who had previously been under the impression that you were at Amber’s house yesterday. For a project.”

“I-I’m sorry! I just didn’t want you guys to hate me for it…”

A strange glint made its appearance in his father’s gaze, and Kibum’s hands became sweaty in uneasiness. “Would you mind telling me why you were in detention to begin with, son?”

Immediately, the gears in Kibum’s head were turning, building upon the formations of his already intricate spiral of lies. It had to be something plausible, but not along similar lines of the real reason, for he knew that the truth was beyond unacceptable in his father’s opinion. “Well…” he began, rocking on the balls of his feet in an inability to remain motionless. “The teacher just caught me texting in class…It was the second time in a week so she saw it appropriate enough for after school detention. Nothing too major.”

His father was standing now, looming over Kibum’s small frame with an air of superiority. His square face was fuming in anger, and he replied with a brusque tone. “Wrong answer, boy.”

Slap.