Red String

Red Scarf

 

 

 

Amber opened her eyes when her vintage clock rang right at midnight. She held her breath till the last ring. Then there was silence filled up her place. She couldn't hear any noise from another side of the door. She slowly straightened up and gently leaned her ear on the door. She still couldn't hear something. It was a perfect silence.

 

'He's gone, Amber. What do you expected? Finding him stay all night in front of your door? No. Just wake up from your sweet dream, Amber!' She talked inside her mind.

 

Amber stood up and took a peek into the hole. She couldn't see his silhouette anymore. Maybe he already gave up and went back to his home, or it was what she thought. She was about to go to her bedroom but the curiosity tickled her mind. She stared at the door for a moment. Her throbbing heart started calling his name. 

 

Should she open the door to check whether he was there? She held the doorknob. It was so cold at winter night. Her mind started thinking of him again. How was him? Where was him at? Did he arrive to his home safely? What did he do now? She couldn't stop herself to not worry about him. Maybe it was because she loved him a little too much.

 

God knew how deep was her love to him. God knew Hyungwon was her love, her heart, her life, her another half, her everything. God knew how many times she almost gave up on him. God knew how many times she said it was over and decided to break up with him. God knew, from the bottom of her broken heart, she still needed and wanted him. 

 

No matter how far she ran away, her feet would unconsciously brought her back to him. It was like there was the unseen long strong red string which tied up between their pinky fingers. Now, she could feel he tugged that red string strongly, signalled her to come closer to him. He didn't know how big his affection into her life, and vice versa.

 

Sleepy and tired. Hyungwon closed his eyes as he hugged himself to keep him warm. He tried to sleep even though his position wasn't comfortable. He sat on a hard cold floor and leaned his head on the hard wooden door. He was that stubborn, just like her. He wouldn't stop till he got what he wanted. He knew what he wanted now. He wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. He wanted her completely. 

 

But now what his body need was a good sleep. He knew it was useless to talk with Amber in stubborn mode-on. Maybe he would spend the whole night outside and tried to talk with her again tomorrow morning. What a pathetic Christmas Eve for him. He couldn't help it. The ringing vintage clock started hypnotise him. His eyes were getting heavy and he fallen a sleep in no time.

 

Amber turned the doorknob slowly as she held her breath. Her heart stopped beating for a second when she felt a heavy feeling behind her door. It felt like something big and heavy was put in front of her door. Now that heavy thing slowly fell following the door movement.

 

Slowly the door revealed a familiar silhouette behind it. That outfits. That red knitted scarf. That black soft hair. It was him. He didn't leave. He stayed outside since she slammed her door right in front of his face. He sat and slept on the cold and uncomfortable place. 

 

"Hyungwon?" Amber whispered.

 

Hyungwon immediately opened his eyes when he felt the door behind him started moving. His eyes widened. He still couldn't believe with his ears. Was it a dream? He heard her voice called him.

 

"Hyungwon?" She called him again. "What are you doing here?"

 

He looked up. It was real. She was here, opened the door for him. He quickly stood up. 

 

"Amber, I'm sorry. Please forgive me...", said him. "Please. I don't want to lose you. Let's fix everything together. Please, Amber..." He took her hand and held it with both of his cold hands.

 

"I already forgive you, Hyungwon. But..." She gasped when she felt how cold his hands. "Oh my, you are so cold. You shouldn't stay here. You should go home minutes ago!"

 

Hyungwon shook his head. "I won't go anywhere. This is my home. I'm already at home."

 

"Are you crazy or what? It's getting cold outside. You may get sick..." She nagged. 

 

He couldn't help but smiled secretly. She worried about his health. That meant she still cared about him. A happiness creeped out inside his heart. Maybe he still had a chance. Maybe she would accept him back. Maybe they could being together once again.

 

"I don't care. If being sick could make you talk with me again then I don't mind to be sick for the rest of my life." He replied.

 

"Hyungwon, please. I don't want we hurt each other more than this." Her eyes got watery again.

 

"We will suffer the pain more badly than this if we do apart. I will suffer this endless torture without you in my life..." His eyes were getting hot.

 

"Goodbye..." She said in cracked shaky voice.

 

"No, Amber!" He grabbed her shoulders. "You can't do this to us. Do you realise what you just said? Do you know what you were asking for?" He looked deeply into her eyes. "Do you know the risk? What will you face aftermath without me in your life? Can you survive?" 

 

She nodded slightly. "I know." She sobbed as she looked at him. "I will. I shall learn to survive without you. I can passed it. You don't need to worry about me."

 

"I'm always worried about you, Amber. You're my life after all, and of course I can't survive without you", said him.

 

He suddenly pulled her closer. In a quick move, he planted his lips on hers. He kissed her softly for few seconds, just like what he did that night, two winters ago. It was happened in the end of winter on two thousands and fourteen. He met her accidentally on the street. They were naturally being attached to each others. After a whole week of courting, he braved himself to confess his feeling toward her.

 

That time he kissed her in front of her door at the midnight, just like what he did now. He kissed her with all his love to her. He would do anything to make her stay beside him. She was his right girl. He was really sure about it. She was the one and only girl for him, his soulmate, his missing piece to complete his life.

 

He kissed her tenderly. She was taken aback for few seconds before starting to push him aside. He didn't want to let her go. He hugged her tightly and stubbornly resumed the kiss. He nibbled her soft lips, wanting her to kiss him back. But she didn't return the kiss. She stayed there and didn't move. She let him kissed her but she pressed her lips tightly. She thought he would stop kissing her after he lost his breath. 

 

But her prediction was wrong. He kept kissing her till she kissed him back. It was hard to make a stubborn girl changed her mind. He needed lots of time to reassure her. He thought it was his last chance to win her love again. He wouldn't give up. 

 

None of them could tell how long he kissed her. Stupid her. She shouldn't let him kissed her. She shouldn't let him hugged her. But he was her great weakness. Her body refused to let him go. Slowly she wrapped her arms around his waist. His scent was really hypnotising. She gradually gave up. She kissed him once, just a quick one. It made him smiled victoriously. She started to take a step closer to him.

 

They kissed deeper than before till breathless. He pulled out and gasped the oxygen. Breath. That was they did first after he broke the kiss. He still held her inside his hug, savoring this moment. He buried his face on her head, inhaling her sweet scent he was longing for a long time. She leaned her head on his chest, listening her favorite lullaby played by his throbbing heart. She closed her eyes while enjoying the heartbeat music.

 

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "Let me fix everything, Amber. I promise I will fulfil this promise to you. I won't left you behind. I will always stay beside you. Not only your love, I will bring you along with Jackjack to wherever I go. We will always be together." He looked at her. "Trust me, Amber. Please, let me fix everything."

 

Amber just kept silent. She looked at him but said nothing. Few things appeared on her mind, dominated with doubt. She was afraid he would redo his mistake. She was afraid she would get disappointment. She didn't want being hurted anymore. She was tired crying every night alone.

 

"Amber?" called him.

 

"I need a time to think", replied her. "I don't trust you as big as before."

 

He flashed a faint smile. "Just take your time, my Amberry." He pecked her forehead. "I will wait for you till you ready to wear the engagement ring again. But meanwhile, please keep it into your backpack so you can bring it to wherever you go."

 

"Hyungwon..." She protested. 

 

"I don't ask you to wear it now. I just asked you to keep it. It's yours after all and always be yours. I wish I could see it again on your finger one day." He took her hand and put the ring on her palm. 

 

She was too tired to refuse it. "Okay. I will keep it. Now you better leave. It's already late."

 

"I don't wanna leave you alone. It's Christmas after all." He cupped her face and leaned closer to her. "Beside, I have something for you." He whispered. "So, will you let me in?"

 

"Is it funny, isn't it?" replied Amber.

 

Hyungwon raised his eyebrow. "Funny? I don't understand..."

 

"No matter how far I leave you, my feet will unconsciously bring me back to you." She looked at him.

 

He smiled. "You don't need to do useless thing like that. I believe we both are destined together. You can't stay away from me and so do I. Your right place is here inside my hug. Don't try to escape from me anymore."

 

"Do I look stupid if I still forgive all your mistakes and accept you back?" asked her.

 

"No. But I do look stupid if I let a smart girl like you leave me." He kissed her lips gently. "So, Amber, can I stay over?"

 

Amber nodded slightly. "I think I'm stupid if I let you go."

 

Hyungwon grinned. He got in and locked the door behind him. In a smooth move, he picked her up and brought her to the bedroom. It had been a month he didn't visit her apartment but that place had not change. It was still same like the last time he slept over. He gently put her on the bed. He proceeded to lay beside her and pull up the blanket over their bodies. 

 

Amber rolled to his side and leaned her head on his chest. "It feels like a dream." She mumbled as cuddled to him.

 

"It's real, Amber." He whispered as pulled her closer to him. "It's not a dream so don't be afraid to awake." He kissed her forehead. 

 

Amber replied nothing. Hyungwon looked at her. She already fallen asleep. She slept peacefully like a baby. She was really tired. He smiled as tucked up the blanket over her body.

 

"Sleep well, my angel." He whispered. 

 

Hyungwon took out the engagement ring from Amber's palm. He slowly climbed out from the bed. He walked to the living room where he saw a small red yarn before, the leftover from his red knitted scarf. He took some of the red string. He made a necklace from red string and engagement ring as the pendant. He walked back to her room. Gently he raised her upper body and slipped the necklace around her neck. The engagement ring was hanged perfectly near her heart. 

 

Hyungwon slowly made her lay back on the bed. He made sure he wouldn't disturb her sleep. He lay beside her. She moved closer to him, snuggled onto his chest. He let out a soft chuckle. 

 

"I love you, Amber. I really do, my one and only bride." He pecked her lips.

 

Hyungwon tied a red string on her pinky finger. Then he tied the end of the red string on his pinky finger. The red string between them was only few meters but the unseen one was longer than this. Both of those red strings had the same meaning and effect. They were born to be together. No matter what happened to them, they would ended up together, unseparated. Then he closed his eyes, started to fall asleep beside his beloved one.