Trespass

Red Scarf

 

Her ringing phone killed the silence. Amber's heart was stopped beating for a second. Was it from him? She quickly grabbed her phone and she was disappointed again. It wasn't him. It was just Luna, her best friend.

 

Amber picked up the phone. "Hello, Luna? What's up?"

 

"Amber~", greeted Luna with her cheerful voice. "I barely saw you recently. How are you?"

 

"I'm doing fine. Just busy with stuffs." Amber replied.

 

"Ah. I see." Luna nodded. "Anyway do you have a plan tonight? I want to invite you on my Christmas dinner tonight. Will you come?"

 

Amber paused a bit. She wanted to spend Christmas Eve with her beloved one but she doubted he could make it. But if she accepted the invitation, she was afraid he would comeback tonight and found out she wasn't at home. She was so confused. What a dilemma.

 

"Amber?" called Luna. "Are you there? Hello?"

 

Amber blinked. She snapped back to reality. "Oh, yes, Luna?"

 

"Would you come to my place tonight?" asked Luna again.

 

"I'm sorry, I can't. I have a plan tonight." Amber lied. 

 

A plan? Of course she didn't have one. She just needed an excuse to refuse it. For Amber, it would be better if she spent this Christmas Eve alone inside her room than attended a dinner and being lonely in the crowded. At least none saw her crying tonight. 

 

"Oh! Your fiance will comeback tonight?" asked Luna sarcastically. 

 

"Yes, he is", replied Amber with cheerful voice, full of high hope.

 

"Are you sure he will make it on time tonight?" Luna sounded unsure. "I'm sorry, Amber. I just don't want you being alone at Christmas Eve. He already skipped three events recently, right? And, I don't want my beautiful friend being disappointed in the end."

 

Amber let out a soft sigh. She remembered how she celebrated the chuseok (mid-autumn festival), Halloween, and Thanksgiving alone cause her fiance couldn't comeback on time. It was .  She cooked a lot foods for two people but she ended up with skipping her dinner and gave all foods to people on the next day. This Christmas, she decided to not cook or bake something. She was afraid all she got in the end was a huge disappointment. 

 

Amber smiled when she heard what her best friend said to her. "Don't worry. He will comeback tonight." She tried to calm Luna and herself too. 

 

"Did he say it directly to you? Did he call you?" Luna still didn't believe her. 

 

"He did, Luna. He promised he would comeback tonight. That's why I can't go to your place. We want to celebrate the Christmas alone tonight, only both of us." Amber secretly prayed for that miracle. 

 

Luna paused a bit before saying something to Amber. "Alright, if you say so. Give my greet to him. Merry Christmas, Amber", said Luna before she ended her call.

 

"I will tell him. Merry Christmas, Luna", replied Amber. 

 

Amber stared for few seconds on her phone before deciding to give a morning call to her fiance. Her fingers gently tapped the surface of wooden table. She waited and waited but he didn't pick up the phone. It might be a sad Christmas for her, the saddest one in her lifetime. She already tired waiting for him, physically and mentally. She couldn't stay on her comfort zone any longer. 

 

"I must visit his home", said Amber to herself. 

 

She grabbed her winter hoodie and wore it. She also wore her black knitted gloves and black boots. She put the Christmas gift for her fiance into her backpack. Her backpack was hanged poorly on her shoulders while she left Jackjack alone inside her room. She ran down the stairways, passed the front door of her apartment building, and then stopped after approaching the nearby bus stop. She panted heavily as she got into the bus, paid the driver, and took a seat near the window. She smiled happily while looking the snowflakes were falling slowly and beautifully outside. They were flying in the cold midair and then landing on the top of something, like sugar powder covered chocolate lava cake. Thinking about food made her felt hungry cause she had not eat anything since last night. 

 

Thirty minutes later, the bus had stopped on its last stop which was near to the wood. Amber quickly stood up and walked out from the bus. She shivered a bit due the cold breeze hit her body. But it wouldn't feel cold anymore if she ran quickly to his house which as located few meters from this bus stop, near the middle of the wood.

 

Amber ran through the snowy wood to her beloved's home. She smiled brightly once she reached the main door of the house. She panted heavily while knocking the door. She waited for a moment but he didn't come and opened the door for her. She knocked the door again and yelled his name. But there was no reply from inside. He seemed not at home. She pouted as she rubbed her palms to gain more warmth. It was her fault after all. She didn't call him to talk about her visit today.

 

The winter breeze was so cold. It seemed like stabbing her till the core of her bones. Maybe it would be better if she came back to her warm comfy apartment and cuddled with her son. But she couldn't going back now. Her small body couldn't resist the coldness outside. At least she needed a break and made her body warm for couple minutes before she left his house.

 

She took the cold doorknob and tried to open the door. She sighed as she realised it was locked. She walked around the house and checked all windows there. She prayed he left one of them unlocked. She smiled when she could open one window. She quickly jumped inside the house and closed the window behind her. She was in his kitchen. She took off her gloves and kept them inside her jacket. She rubbed her palms and sometime blew a hot breath to her palms. It was warmer inside and she liked it.

 

She walked to the living room while looking around. The house seemed so huge and a bit creepy for her. It made her scared. She called his name once again but she heard nothing. She was completely alone at his house. 

 

"Where's he going?" She mumbled as she approached the piano in the centre of the room. "Well, it can't be helped. Plan A is fail successfully. I still have plan B tho."

 

She opened the piano and took a seat. She put her backpack on the floor and took out her little camera. She set the camera on the piano so it could record her perfectly. She smiled brightly after the camera.

 

"Happy December, Baobei. I think we missed few things. I was so busy. You were busy too, I guess. I'm sorry I couldn't spend the last chuseok, Halloween and the Thanksgiving with you. I'm sorry I missed few of our monthsarry days. I even lost in my count how long we have been together. I also not sure whether we can spend the Christmas and New Year together but I wish we could celebrate it together. So to pay all those lost moments, I want to give a surprise for you by visiting you today. But it's not my lucky day, I think." She chuckled. "You are not in home. I'm sorry if I trespassed inside but it's your fault after all. You should recheck all your windows and doors to make sure they are locked before leaving the house. I get inside by your unlocked window on the kitchen. Now I feel like a thief. Anyway, I want to recite this song for you. I hope you like it."

 

She smiled as she straightened her back and turned her face to the piano. She started playing the piano and singing "Through the Ages" by Gabrielle Aplin as she smiled to the camera. 

 

She finished the song and turned to the camera. "How is it? Do you like it? I hope you do. Well, I must going back home now before it's getting dark and cold. Don't worry. When you finished watching this video, I'm already sleeping on my warm apartment room. I will leave the camera here. Please keep it carefully, okay? It's my one and only camera anyway. See you later, Baobei. I heart you without wax."

 

Amber took out a box which sealed with golden ribbon from her backpack. She smiled as she waved it to the camera. "And this is your Christmas gift I made it special for you. Merry Christmas, my Hyungwonnie."

 

She waved to the camera before turned it off. She closed the piano and put the camera on it with a "turn on me" note beside it. She left the gift beside her camera. She packed her stuffs and walked to the kitchen. She climbed out from the window and closed it. She wore her gloves and took a deep breath. She ran back through the wood to the bus stop. She waited outside for an hour before a bus arrived. Once the bus arrived, she quickly got inside the bus that would brought her back to her apartment. 

 

Once she arrived to her room, she stormed into her bedroom and threw herself on the bed. She buried her face onto the pillow. In the next second that room was filled with a soft sob. She cried cause she knew she would spend this Christmas alone without him. She cried till she fallen asleep. 

 

It was around dinner time when Amber woke up. She quickly climbed out from her bed. She took a seat on her desk and took a piece of paper. She started writing a letter with uncontrollable tears. She put all her feeling in every word she wrote. Her eyes were getting hot. Her sight were getting blurry. Her hands were wet by the teardrops. Few of  teardrops rolled down and drenched few area of the paper, made few words blurry. 

 

After minutes writing, Amber finally finished it by put her sign in the end of the letter. She folded the paper and took an envelope. She kept the letter inside. With shaking finger, she slowly took off her engagement ring and put it inside the envelope. She sealed the envelope and wrote his name on its front side. She wiped her tears and left that letter on her desk. She planned to give it to him directly whenever he visited her.