Day 6: The greatest gift

Christmas fever

Every year dongwoon and his five roommates do secret santa to make things easier and not to mention cheaper when the time came for exchanging gifts, he would always hope that he would be given a chance to be kikwangs secret Santa. last year junhyung was his secret Santa and he had given dongwoon a book called how to be an adult and wireless headphones ironically the book that junhyung gave him happened to be really useful.  

 

After they've all picked a folded piece of paper from one of yoseobs snap backs, the maknae was practically over the moon, he finally got kikwang this year. So for the entire month before Christmas he began taking up more shifts at his part time job and even helped out more at his parents restaurant. at first the rest of them were concerned with dongwoon suddenly taking up more shifts and was almost always working as much as possible. however he completely reassured his hyungs that he was fine and lied about just needing extra money he even had to deny being offered money from his hyungs. 

 

But dongwoon resisted the temptation to give in and reminded himself that he was doing it for kikwang. 

 

Kikwang, his favourite hyung who he had fallen for the moment doojoon was introducing him to the rest of the roommates that he would be living with. Kikwang, who helped him out and looked after him the most when he was struggling between the pressure of school and learning to cope from being apart from his family. Kikwang, who everyone mostly mistakes him for being dopey all the time but don't understand that he's exceptionally passionate in what ever he does and is always willing to help out everyone as much as he could without a second thought of putting himself first.  

 

Kikwang was more than just a muscular idiot that everyone blindly thinks, as cheesy as it sounds kikwang was his everything. 

 

 

With Christmas catching up quicker than he thought and junhyung nagging at yoseob for eating all the chocolates from the advent calendars, dongwoon had successfully reached his goal of money for buying the perfect gift for kikwang. He even managed to have a little bit of left over money for himself, he wasted no time at all in buying the gift and now all he had to do left was to wrap it up.  

 

Which, of course, is easier said than done when you're living with five other people with barely any privacy at all. 

 

 

The first time that dongwoon tried to wrap the present he was in his shared room with junhyung sitting on the floor with his back towards the entrance. He was trying to retrieve the red scissors that was a tiny bit out of his reach where he was when the door swung open frightening him for a second. 

 

“oh, I didn't see you there woonie – why are you sitting on the floor?” 

 

dongwoon desperately tried to relax his heart from the mini panic attack “o-oh, uh nothing hyung. I was just – you know felt like sitting on the floor that's all.” 

 

Yoseob stayed by the door watching dongwoon closely before he smiled “ah, you're wrapping your present right? don't worry I won't bombard you asking who it's for and all that I just wanted to give you your clean clothes from the laundry.”  

 

Dongwoon melted from his stiff posture making room for yoseob to walk by as he set dongwoons stack of clothes on his bed. Thanking his hyung he spotted something strange on the pile of clothes, curiously he picked up on one of his v neck shirts and unfolded it holding out in front of him. 

 

“hyung...why are my white v neck shirts pink?” 

 

“a red sock may or may not have slipped in.” 

 

“hyung!” 

 

 

 

“That should do it, I'm now finally done.”  
 
Dongwoon rewarded himself a pat on the back he had finally wrapped kikwangs present after putting it off from finishing  his flood of assignments and being called in from time a lot lately  to come into work whenever they were short staffed. He dragged his aching bones from his bed at probably six in the morning to finish up wrapping the present. 

 

the sound of doojoons distant snoring down the hall told him that the rest of them were all still dead to the world. Shifting in his seat dongwoon laid his tired heavy head onto the dinning table letting his eyes rest for a moment. 

 

Right when he was slipping off to sleep the kitchen light flickered on jolting him from his seat, the sudden brightness blinded him for a couple of seconds. 

 

“what are you doing, it's almost six in the morning” 

 

rubbing his bleary eyes he saw junhyung standing in the doorway with a blank look, judging from his bed hair and dishevelled sweatshirt he probably had just woken up not long ago. 

 

“oh, uh – just nothing. I thought there was a – a mouse! Yeah so I came in to look in the kitchen but I guess I was wrong” the maknae nervously laughed under junhyungs unamused stare. 

 

“so did that ‘mouse’ happened to wrap up the fruit bowl?” 

 

confused, he looked in front of him where he almost dropped his head against the table. he actually did wrap up the fruit bowl with the actual present out in the open right next to it. 

 

Junhyung walked by to get a water bottle from the fridge he patted dongwoons back before he left the room “it's best if you go get some sleep before you start wrapping up the fridge too.” 

 

Dongwoon resisted the urge to scream that morning. 

 

 

 

He was positive this time. 

 

Dongwoon was a thousand percent sure that he was alone right now but just to be extra sure he went into the toilet locking himself in. 

 

It was thankfully one of those rare days where absolutely no one was at home meaning that he would be alone for at least an hour or more. He got on with wrapping up the gift without wasting time he looked over for the tape and noticed that it was almost finished, dongwoon slowly stood up feeling his knees protest for crouching too long as he went out in search for the another roll of tape.  

 

Shutting the door behind him he went back to his original position carefully holding the gift in his hand, as if on instinct he completely froze on the spot, he could've swore that he'd heard the door open, remaining still he listened to the footsteps as they went pass him going straight into the living room. 

 

Dongwoon was starting to panic he was so sure that no one else would be at home for a while, he quickly gathered the scissors and tape stuffing them on top of the medicine cabinet along with gift the footsteps came again and this time it was heading towards the toilet, his palms were really sweaty now he cursed himself for not locking the door.  
 
The door swiped open smacking the wall and without thinking dongwoon sat on the toilet shoving his pants down. 

 

“Hyung! C-can you please knock!?” 

 

doojoon smirked “oh I'm sorry maknae, am I perhaps interrupting your alone time?.” 

 

“oh my god, doojoon hyung get out!” 

 

“hey, it's not my fault that you didn't lock the door.” 

 

Dongwoons was face could rival a cherry tomato right now he was entirely flushed red in embarrassment.  

 

“Well, if you want my advice. On taking care of– “ 

 

“Just go hyung, sometimes I don't even know how yoseob hyung deals with you.” 

 

A mischievous smile grew on doojoons face. 

 

“don't.” 

 

 

 

this time it was noon and there was literally two days left until Christmas, if anything dongwoon was glad that he got the gift early while others were swarmed in to the rush of last preparations and presents. 

 

Yoseob and doojoon went out to buy dinner that was a block away from their apartment, while Kikwang was likely making his way back from the gym leaving junhyung and hyunseung at home with him. 

 

Knowing junhyung, he was probably watching some movie on his laptop and hyunseung was either asleep or reading a book. 

 

At this point dongwoon didn't even care anymore if anyone else saw the present just as long as that someone wasn't kikwang, if it's anyone else he could easily distract them if he wanted. 

 

So here he was sitting in the living room mindlessly cutting up a set of wrapping paper that had little reindeers and snowflakes patterned across the blue background. 

 

“wow woonie, whoever you got for secret Santa must be lucky.” 

 

“Oh haha thanks hyung it's – ah! Hyunseung hyung” he almost dropped the scissors on his knees “you scared me” 

 

“sorry, but I'm surprised that you've managed to get that, Its pretty expensive. I mean – with that money I could buy five hundred nesquik strawberry milk” 

 

Dongwoon proudly waved off the compliment “it wasn't easy but thankfully all my hard work payed off for it.” 

 

“I'm guessing that you finally got kikwang for secret Santa right?” 

 

“yeah I did, hyung do you think he would like it? I'm starting to have second thoughts about this gift – I remember kikwang telling me how he was interested in photography lately so I got him this camera but what if –“ 

 

“woonie, you're forgetting it's not about the present it’s the thought and effort you put in to it that counts, since the gift is from you kikwang would love it anyway.” Hyunseung reassured him. 

 

He was right, kikwang wasn't one to be picky with whatever he got or had. Kikwang appreciated everything and he was  always looking into the positive side of things, all dongwoon could do was give this present a shot. 

 

Junhyung peaked in from the hallway interrupting the two “seung, the movie is about to start” 

 

hyunseung smiled patting dongwoons head “ you'll be fine, and kikwang would love it. You should hide it away kikwang is on his way home now.” He then left the room following junhyung. 

 

Feeling more assured thanks to hyunseung he took the gift and hid it under the sofa as soon as doojoon, yoseob and kikwang towed into the living room. 

 

The day of Christmas was full of excited cheers and laughter and with breakfast out of the way the group of six huddled together on the floor to begin exchanging gifts for secret Santa, dongwoon nervously handed his gift to kikwang. 

 

He watched closely as his hyung ripped open the present and then froze, he instantly started to panic, kikwang literally sat there motionless  staring at the boxed camera on his lap. 

 

“k-kikwang hyung…?”  

 

the other didn't reply. 

 

“d-do you really not like your present? Oh my god - I'm so sorry hyung! I'd thought you’d like it because-“ 

 

“like it?” 

 

the maknae felt coldness running down his spine. 

 

“woonie, I love it! I've been eyeing this camera for weeks! But I've never had enough money on me to buy it. You probably went through a lot to get this.” 

 

Dongwoon was a second away from being a pile of goo, kikwang sincerely loved his gift and it was clearly shown by the way his eyes lit up and the infamous gummy smile was sending the butterflies in his stomach into a fit. 

 

“Come here!” putting the present aside he drawled dongwoon close enough to give him a peck on the corner of his lips before enveloping him into a tight hug. Dongwoon grinned looping his arms around his hyung, there wasn't any better gift than seeing kikwang happy. 

 

 


This was fun to write!!! I really love doing 'the five times something didn't happen and the one time it did' thingys ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ