Day 3: Night at the cafe

Christmas fever

"thank you and have a nice day!"  
 
hyunseung came over tying the strings of his apron behind his back "thanks, kiki I'll take over the cash register for you."

Kikwang nodded shuffling behind beginning to make the customers coffee, it was almost winter break meaning that the café was going to be even more busy than usual especially with christmas just around the corner. He began working part time as a barista since the start of november and he was actually enjoying it, kikwang had grown to enjoy the busy café with the bonus that he was a huge coffee lover. Hyunseung had asked him if he wanted to work alongside with him as they were understaffed and kikwang accepted right away, the café was thankfully not too far from where he lived only which was only fifteen minutes away. Throughout working as barista he became familiar with a few regular customers and would get their orders right away and even have small talk if they weren't too busy but through the list of regulars that visit often there was one in particular that had caught his interest. 
 
The barista had guessed he was a university student judging by the fact that he would always arrive with a handful of fat textbooks, notebooks, and highlighted papers threatening to stream out of their pockets. If anything that stood out was the fact that this regular customer looked foreign, kikwang wasn't entirely sure or not if the other was fully korean or not but other than that he was also tall (almost everyone is taller than you kiki hyunseung would say) and of course he couldn't deny the fact that he was handsome.

And that handsome regular was also in today, he would always unofficially claim the corner of the shop just by the window with his books, papers, and pens sprawled across the table. Lately kikwang noticed that he'd been staying inside café right until closing time he would see him hunched back over skimming through his notes writing them down in a notebook and rarely he would spot him gazing out the window.  
 
 
hyunseung handed over a tray that had two fudge brownie cheesecakes, a hot chocolate with marshmallows, cappuccino and a caffe latte."this is for the table in the right corner." Without a word kikwang carefully carried the tray over, as he neared he spotted the regular customer sitting across two other people. A tall brunette with defined cheekbones and jawline seemed to look like he was pointing at one of the messy notebooks comparing it to the sheet next to it. The guy next the brunette contrasted him, he had soft blonde hair and a round face that complimented his eyes. He would sometimes see them with the supposed student but they would only stay for about an hour or two max, the blonde haired boy spotted kikwang coming and quickly cleared a side of the table helping him lower the tray onto the clean table. 
 
"thank you!" He smiled brightly and kikwang responded with his own smile as he bowed his head a little before he left. he surely didn't miss the way he saw the others side profile, quickly fighting down the rising blush he hurried back to his station.If he had the chance to talk to him he would do it in a heartbeat but right now he couldn't bring himself to.   
 
and as if some fairy godmother had overheard him he now was granted the chance to. 
 
 
it was a week later and lately it had begun to snow, meaning that there was a high chance of it snowing in christmas too. It was a thursday afternoon around two and kikwang was exhuasted he had to cover for his other coworker sohyun who fell ill, he didn't mind taking over for her but it also meant that there was more work for him. He was talking to hyunseung about some show he watched last night when he spotted a guy sitting by the side with large black shades on, who even wears shade indoor plus at winter even, hyunseung followed his eye sight before he jumped to his feet rushing by him to make two cups of café mochas. Kikwang looked back at the guy to find him staring at him, he nervously sent a smile as the guy in shades smiled a little back. 
 
Hyunseung had finished making the drinks and was heading over to him. "kiki, I'm going on my break now." 
 
"seung, don't forget that your boyfriend of yours has to pay for his drink you know." Hyunseung waved him off but kikwang knew that he would forget anyways, he occupied himself for a moment to clean around his station while no one needed anything at the moment. The door opened as a blonde headed guy rushed heading straight towards him,he was one of that regular customer friends. 
 
"can I have a café latte and can you please give it to dongwoon, he's the one in the corner. Also can you please tell him that it's from me yoseob, I can't make it today because doojoon thought it would be okay to tell me last minute that his parents wanted to meet me. I wanted to tell him earlier but I forgot that dongwoon always has his phone off when he studies."  
 
kikwang took yoseobs money and gave him his change. "oh sure I can. And good luck with that I'm sure you'll be fine." 
 
"thank you, I really need it today. I'll see you soon!" Kikwang waved as he left, just as he was getting ready to make the drink the door opened again and a bustle of students arrived only meaning that it was now probably three. Hyunseung came to his rescue returning from his break as they both got busy for another rush hour. 
 
it was when kikwang came back to cash register after restocking the napkins and packets of brown sugar that he remembered about dongwoons drink. Wiping the imaginary dust on his apron kikwang went straight away to make the café latte, as he approached dongwoon looked as if he hadn't moved from his spot at all. 
 
"um, excuse me." 
 
dongwoon snapped up from his textbook almost startling kikwang "y-yoseob bought this drink for you, he wanted to say sorry that him and doojoon weren't able to make it today. And I'm also sorry that I hadn't told you earlier, I got caught up in the rush hour and I didn't remember until just now."  
 
he mentally braced himself awaiting for dongwoon to blast at him, instead he was met with a warm laugh. "it's fine, don't worry about it. I checked my phone an hour later that yoseob and doojoon was supposed to be here and saw the message, I don't blame you for only telling me now when you already have a lot of customers in your hand." 
 
kikwang was enchanted.

Dongwoons smile was the epitome of pure and it was even the first time that he had seen him smile. Kikwang had more that he wanted to say until the door opened with a customer training in. He excused himself as he went ahead to help hyunseung out who was behind the register, after the last customer had left he went about sweeping the other half of the deserted room where he caught a sight of the guy who hyunseung had spent his break with was still in seat typing on his phone, he figured that he was waiting for his co-workers shift to end so they could leave together. Setting the broom aside he looked to the corner where dongwoon was to find him already gone, He was honestly upset that he couldn't get to chat with him longer yet happy that he managed to talk to him at least once. 
 
 
the shop was closed and he could finally go home and relax, there fewer people outside and kikwang couldn't blame them since was best to be indoors right now as he tugged his scarf close to his neck. 
 
"do you want junhyung to drop you off kiki? The snow is getting heavy and it's really dark out." 
 
"no it's fine! My place isn't that far off, I can get there by ten minutes if I walk quickly. you guys can head home first and drive safely" 
 
hyunseung hesitated before agreeing to kikwangs decision "okay, but text me when you get home." They said their goodbyes with kikwang watching as junhyung took his jacket off using it as an umbrella for both him and hyunseung as they walked towards his car by the pavement. He checked his pockets making sure he had his phone and keys then proceeded walking around the corner where his bed was waiting for him at home, kikwang leisurely took his time taking in the rare quiet surroundings, the sound of the soft snow crunching underneath his boots made him glad for wearing his heavy boots for once. Stopping halfway kikwang looked up watching the snow rain down from the grey clouds and as they fell kiss his face. 

A dark shadow loomed over him and suddenly he couldn't feel the snow anymore. Blinking twice it took him time to realize that someone was holding an umbrella over his head.  

“d-dongwoon! I thought that you would be at home already.” 

“the bus was taking long and I saw you walking up, is it alright if I walk you home hyung?” 

dongwoon seemed to take his silence in a wrong way “I-I mean, it's dark out and I don't want anything bad to happen to you since you're by yourself—ah! I mean it's not that I think you're not capable of taking yourself I just-“ 

kikwang couldn't help but laugh loudly over how flustered the other looked right now it was really adorable. “it's okay dongwoon, I’d love for you to walk me home.”  

With that the barista learned over the walk that they shared similar interests in music and movies, dongwoon was a literature student who was currently living with his parents instead of the campus dorms in order to save money, he was also part of the choir and loved photography as his hobby, he laughed when kikwang asked him if he was fully korean and dongwoon told him that he was and often his two other friends doojoon and yoseob would call him the Arabian prince. 

When they arrived outside the apartment they both exchanged numbers, kikwang watched as dongwoon vanished from his view before heading inside the apartment. Time flew through Christmas eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day until it was finally New Year's Eve. Dongwoon invited him to doojoons house party where they would be celebrating news years, kikwang also invited hyunseung and junhyung and soon the group got acquainted with each other in a click, watching the countdown on tv everyone shuffled towards each other as soon as the clock got at 10 on the final count down when it reached zero, dongwoon tilted kikwangs chin up as their lips finally met. 

 

That was how kikwang ended his year with dongwoon and begun a new year with dongwoon. 

 


I hope this chapter brought justice to kiwoon fans, I've been struggling with this one for a bit ( ̄◇ ̄;)