Chapter 12

Please Talk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]                                     [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] “An addition reaction is when the bonds of unsaturated compounds open up and join with other atoms without the original molecule breaking up.” The teacher paused to let his students take a few notes, his eyes lingering particularly on Kyungsoo before turning back to the board.

He pointed to a diagram. “For example, when ethene reacts with bromine, its double bonds open up, which makes space for the bromine atoms…” The students scribbled down a few more notes. “Ethene and bromine react to make 1, 2-dibromoethane – it is used in insecticides and rat poisons.”

Chemistry was one of Kyungsoo’s most hated subjects. He would rather slam his head continuously on his desk for an hour than study organic chemistry. He couldn’t care less about what is inside rat poison, so long as it killed the little bastards.

The bell finally rang, signalling the end of the day, and Kyungsoo sighed in relief. He waited for the rest of his class to leave the classroom before packing up his stuff and leaving – like he always did. He caught his teacher’s eye accidently on his way out, instantly regretting it when his teacher called for his attention.

“Kyungsoo, I want you to do well on this test,” he said. He was tall and had broad shoulders, resembling more of a praying mantis as he towered over Kyungsoo's reasonably petite figure. "You're falling behind."

Kyungsoo nodded firmly, however his eyes were downcast. “Yes, sir. I’ll work hard.”

 

Jongin’s stomach did a triple dolphin flip when he saw Kyungsoo walking soberly out of the school gates. He wouldn’t admit it to a single soul, but Jongin had starting crushing on Kyungsoo. It was just harmless puppy love; a never-going-to-happen crush. Nothing was going to come out of it.

But the warm fuzzies Kyungsoo gave him whenever they were together weren’t something to be ignored.

“Hey, Kyungsoo,” Jongin grinned, flashing his million-dollar smile. But his smile faded when he saw the small frown on Kyungsoo’s face. It was tiny, but undoubtedly noticed by Jongin. “What’s up?”

Kyungsoo sped up his last few steps towards Jongin and shook his head. “It’s nothing. I just had to stay behind in my chemistry class.”

Jongin gestured for them to walk ahead. “What for? Did you fall asleep in class again?”

“No,” Kyungsoo mumbled, grimacing at the memory.

“Then what’s bothering you?” Jongin kept his voice soft and consolidating, making sure not to sound too nosey.

“My chemistry results aren’t that great,” Kyungsoo shrugged. Jongin stared at him. “The score I got for my last test was thirty percent.”

Jongin gulped; that was a pretty low score, especially for someone who studied as vigorously as Kyungsoo did. It was a shame that some people who work so hard aren’t able to receive the success they deserve.

“Oh, that ,” Jongin said good-naturedly, trying to keep a positive spirit. “Do you want to get doughnuts to cheer you up?”

“Do they have cherry?” They were Kyungsoo’s favourite.

Jongin nodded, his eyes dancing like a child’s. “They have everything.”

Although Jongin already knew he had won Kyungsoo over, the latter still mulled over it for a moment just to leave him hanging onto the edge of anticipation.

And hunger.

But mostly anticipation.

“Mhm,” he hummed. “Sounds good.”

“Yay!” Jongin cheered.

They quickened their pace slightly, with overflowing thoughts of sticky, glazed doughnuts with zealous amounts of jam pouring from the first bite. Damn, doughnuts were delicious.

Jongin had learned that Kyungsoo had a particularly squishy sweet spot for candy, sweets and desserts. He learned this when he made the mistake of buying Kyungsoo a massive family box of chocolates for Christmas. Surprisingly, Kyungsoo had eaten the whole lot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter