of awkward infirmary visits and slytherin (b)romance

no amortentia required

 

 

 

chapter two

of awkward infirmary visits and slytherin (b)romance
 
 
 
 it all happens in a matter of seconds.
 
the gryffindor seeker boy falls off his broom so suddenly that it takes everyone off guard. the crowd rumbles and at once, all spectators rush forward to see what happens next.
 
from afar, professor mcgonagall's face is struck with absolute terror as she fumbles to find her wand. the professor grasps it - but it slips through her fingers and rolls down the rows of stands.
 
"oh, wonderful, i need a blasted wand-"
 
 
yeri doesn't know what brings her to do it. but all she knows is that a person's life is in possible danger, and she dashes forward, holding her eleven inch vinewood wand in her right hand. without sparing a moment to think about what she's doing, she whispers, "arresto momentum."
 
the phoenix hair on the tip of her wand glistens as a jet of white light soars downwards and to the boy, hitting him a mere moment before he lands on the ground. it's slightly off-target, so the boy still collapses on the ground, though not as hard as he would have without the spell. a countless number of gryffindors crowd around his unconscious body as soon as he lies still.
 
"holy mother of merlin, yeye," tzuyu says behind her, pure awe and admiration radiating from her tone of voice. "you saved him."
 
yeri cringes at how cheesy that sounds. "that's an overstatement."
 
"no- you legit did, he has to be forever thankful for that, and so do his fangirls."
 
"don't tell me i'm going to be bombarded by them for the rest of my school year. did anyone else see that?"
 
"i don't think so, only us," yixing voices. "we're pretty high up in the slytherin stand, which is already high enough, so yeah. just you, tzuyu, jessica and i. besides, it's hard to see white-hued spells in the sunlight."
 
the girl looks visibly relieved. "good, because i want to live a quiet life without having girls scream at me for saving their oppa." she emphasizes the last word in a particularly scornful manner.
 
"we won't tell a soul," the head girl promises. "but who caught the snitch first? junhoe or jeon?"
 
"i don't know that either," yeri admits. "they literally both caught it at the same time, but i guess the snitch will decide the real winner."
 
"if slytherin wins, that means a good party for getting into the finals, and some butterbeer and chocolate frogs i can nick," comments yixing excitedly. jessica is not amused.
 
"yixing, just because you're in a slytherin stand doesn't mean you are a slytherin now, if you can remember anything at all, you're a hufflepuff."
 
"oh, loosen up, o holy head girl," the boy rolls his eyes. "festivities are all about sharing, right?"
 
"that's not sharing, that's stealing."
 
"one-sided sharing, then."
 
 
after the young seeker is placed on a cot, the crowd below buzzes with only one thought in mind- who touched the snitch first? yeri gazes at junhoe, whose feet are now on the ground. he holds his nimbus two thousand in one hand and the golden snitch in the other. it doesn't move in his grasp. her breath hitches. no-
 
madam hooch glances at the snitch, then at junhoe. "here, lad, give me that." junhoe obeys, and she takes the object, walking over to jungkook. she places the tiny item in the inert boy’s palm.
 
not a sound is to be heard as everyone waits.
 
slowly, the frail wings of the snitch begin to flutter, and soon launch into rapid motion.
 
 
"the winner is gryffindor!" madam hooch pronounces, as the gryffindors launch into roars of excitement.
 
 
 

-

 
 
 
the next day is rather eventful. all that the school students can talk about during lunch is gryffindor's win and the news of jungkook's great fall.
 
many deduce, arriving upon wild theories of the cause of the incident, how he was prevented from fatal injuries and, most significantly, who it was that actually saved him.
 
"-i heard it was louise farrows from ravenclaw, you know she's the smartest ravenclaw there-"
 
"-if i know anything about spells, it's obvious that it was yein jung from hufflepuff, you know how she has the biggest crush on him-"
 
"-oh please, it was selene palestone, you know how she always flirts with jungkook-"
 
 
yeri can't help snorting at all of their hopeful guesses, but she doesn't express a single word that it was her. in fact, she's hoping no one, excluding the ones who currently know, will ever find out.
 
 
she's sipping her water casually when she hears a clunk of books in front of her. tzuyu, jongin, and wonwoo.
 
"all right, guys?"
 
"apparently jungkook jeon was saved by an angelic thestral yesterday," tzuyu says, breathless.
 
yeri spits out her water. "well, funny, i heard it was the spirit of dumbledore," jongin replies dryly.
 
wonwoo raises an eyebrow. "i thought it was established that filch was performing outstanding dark magic."
 
"no, you're all wrong," it's yoongi, his voice dripping with sarcasm. he takes his seat beside yeri. "don't you see it? voldemort's coming back."
 
the table explodes with laughter. "piss off!" they all exclaim, but wonwoo and jongin exchange high fives with yoongi(something they call a man-to-man exchange, yeri doesn't even want to know). 
the cackling dies down, and the girl groans. "are people really that stupid?"
 
tzuyu shrugs. "apparently they are."
 
"if it's okay to toss in another, some lads think we're the ones that hexed jeon to fall off the broom in the first place," says wonwoo, twirling his fork between his fingers. "bloody ridiculous."
 
"probably one of the gryffindors spewing with the s they have for mouths," jongin scoffs. he stuffs his mouth with mashed potatoes. "merim nof waffeve gofinvare vanf."
 
"sorry, what? can you chew and then talk, like the ordinary human does? you're giving me the impression of a caveman." 
 
jongin gulps his food down, grunting. tzuyu and yeri both choke back their laughter. " you, jeon."
 
"i'm offended, jongin. i thought we were mates for life."
 
"some best mate you are."
 
"you two are morons. why in the wizard's hell are we even friends," yoongi shakes his head. "where's junhoe?"
 
"he went to the infirmary," sehun pops out of nowhere with chanyeol by his side. each have a baguette in hand, and they settle down at the table.
 
"what, is he sick?" tzuyu questions worriedly.
 
sehun snorts. "no, of course not. he's gone to pay his respects to jungkook jeon."
 
jongin gasps. "jeon's dead?" yeri facepalms.
 
"no, you dumb, he's not dead! i mean, he's gone to apologize. he was the one who caused jeon to fall, after all."
 
wonwoo snickers. "knowing junhoe, it must be the guilty puppy eyes parade. is jeon even awake though?"
 
"awake as an owl," chanyeol interjects. "sehun, junhoe and i nearly tripped over the horde of fangirls outside the infirmary. but then madam pomfrey screamed like the devil, so they cleared up," he grimaces. "girls."
 
"hey, not all girls are like that," tzuyu objects.
 
"alright, fangirls."
 
"i feel sorry for him though," sehun remarks thoughtfully. "it's not exactly fantastic, falling off your broom from about four hundred feet up in the air."
 
"i'd feel completely sorry for the kid if it weren't for the accusations- or if we'd won," jongin grumbles. "but yeah, you're right."
 
that reminds yeri of something. "right, i have to get my divination book from junhoe, he borrowed it days ago. infirmary, right?" sehun and chanyeol nod. "i'll be back as soon as possible."
 
yoongi pinches her cheeks affectionately. "sure, yeye, come back quick." he grins (ignoring jongin's indignant "that's my sister, you imbecile!") and yeri glares at him. everyone treats me like a child, for merlin's sake. the rest of the slytherins merely chuckle. after all, yeri is slytherin's little princess.
 
 
 

-

 
 
 
the infirmary is quite close to the great hall; it only takes a minute or so for yeri to arrive at the location.
 
 
she enters cautiously, closing the door behind her. if madam pomfrey is here, she might be yelled at, since the woman dealt with the fangirls beforehand and has probably lost her patience. fortunately, the matron is nowhere in sight. yeri scans the huge room, there is no junhoe to be seen.
 
she contemplates on returning to the great hall, but her sharp eyes catch an object placed on a small table in the corner - a slytherin scarf. yeri remembers he had the traditional scarf adorning his neck this morning. he's probably coming back.
 
the girl decides to wait for him by sitting on the stool placed beside the table. she starts dragging the stool a little closer to the nearest bed.
 
as she drags the metallic stool, yeri hears someone stir behind her, and turns around. who-
 
it's only then when the prefect realizes the presence of jungkook jeon in the room. his eyes flutter and widen confusedly as they focus on her, and the stool.
 
"uh, sorry," yeri says awkwardly. i'm just going to back away at the count of one, two..
 
the boy opens his mouth. "no, it's fine, are you here to...?" he trails off, his expression unsure.
 
"er, i'm actually looking for junhoe, i thought he was here."
 
"oh. he was here when i was awake, with taehyung."
 
"he's probably coming back, his scarf is here, i might as well wait." she plops on the stool, shrugging.
 
a long, awkward silence ensues. yeri tries not to mind it, but the previous day's incident with him pops up in her head again. she wonders whether she should ask him about it - if he remembers, that is.
 
jungkook breaks the silence. "what's your name?"
 
yeri hesitates, but says, "yeri kim."
 
"slytherin, right?"
 
"yeah."
 
another moment of tranquility. "i'm jungkook jeon."
 
"i know."
 
he turns to her in surprise. "you do?"
 
she raises her eyebrows, not sure whether he's joking or not. but his serious demeanor says otherwise. he's not as stuck up or arrogant as she expected him to be, with his fangirls and all. in fact, he seems pretty down to earth, from what she's seen so far. she doesn't dare tell him she was the one who cast that spell yesterday though. (honestly, it seems like he doesn't even know what happened.)
 
"yeah, you were tagging behind junhoe yesterday, so."
 
"tagging behind the snitch," the boy corrects.
 
"if you say so. congrats on winning, by the way. and the injury. that's the best prize ever."
 
he chuckles at her dry remark. "thanks. i feel like i should actually get injured more often, if i'm going to get more of these," he jokes, gesturing to the rather large pile of honeyduke's ice mice, chocolate frogs and bertie bott's every flavor beans. "but i shouldn't, of course. frankly, my team could have suffered more damage from this. i feel guilty enough already."
 
"don't tell me your admirers sent all of those."
 
"i wouldn't call them admirers - more like concerned friends, but yeah, they did. one's from junhoe, he gave me a chocolate frog as an apology." jungkook grins.
 
 
she rolls her eyes. "typical junhoe, the idiot's awkward as hell."
 
 
"who's an idiot?" a voice inquires indignantly. it's junhoe (speak of the devil, yeri thinks), and there's also a pink-haired boy she doesn't know next to him. the two hold various confections in both hands.
 
"admit it, junhoe, you're as smooth as filch."
 
"that's actually really offensive."
 
"all right, mates?" jungkook says. junhoe raises his hand in greeting.
 
yeri turns to her friend. "what took you so long anyway?"
 
"um, we went to the loo."
 
"you went to the loo and got treacle tarts?" yeri comments sarcastically. "nice." (next to her, jungkook emits a low snort.)
 
"fine, we went to the kitchen. the elves were telling us to take all of the food, how could i resist?"
 
"hey, aren't you the fifth year slytherin prefect?" the boy beside junhoe suddenly inquires to yeri.
 
"er, yeah, why?" yeri responds, taken aback.
 
"oh, nothing important, really, just curious.." he's dismissive, but yeri can swear that there's a funny glint in his eye. "i'm taehyung kim, chaser for gryffindor, sixth year. nice to meet you." he offers his hand for a shake. she then realizes him from yesterday.
 
"yeri kim, fifth year slytherin and prefect, as you already know," she shakes hands with him.
 
"i see you've made friends with our handsome little jungkookie here," taehyung says mischievously. jungkook winces, muttering 'shut up.'
 
taehyung is right though, jungkook is pretty handsome; his slightly disheveled coal-black locks and long lashes makes him the epitome of a 'pretty boy.' but yeri is unfazed by his appearance, after all, she still has the whole strange stare incident at the back of her mind.
 
"why'd you come anyway?" junhoe questions. "i thought you were at the great hall with everyone else."
 
"no, actually-" she's reminded of her original intention. "-yeah, junhoe, give me back my bloody divination book. you do know we have trelawney next period, right?"
 
"for the love of merlin." her friend winces. "sorry-ow-stop punching me-"
 
"you borrowed it days ago, you bastard!"
 
"i forgot! stop the violence , i'll give it to you to now. wait here, i'm going to my dorm."
 
taehyung watches junhoe exit the room with a grin on his face. "you two are like the real-life version of saturday night live."
 
"the saturday what?"
 
"never mind, it's a muggle tv show. anyhow, did you watch the quidditch game yesterday?"
 
"mm, of course. it was junhoe's first game, and my brother's umpteenth one."
 
taehyung arches an eyebrow. "your brother?"
 
"jongin kim, sixth year, chaser for slytherin. ever heard of him-?"
 
"jongin's your brother?" jungkook interrupts, looking shocked. "i didn't know that! you two don't look like each other at all."
 
"different mothers," she sees the gryffindors' expressions. "i'm joking."
 
 

-

 

 

author's (long-) note: good news, everyone!! this story might get a lil' longer than you think, maybe about five or six chapters in total at the most. it's not completely confirmed yet, but that's what i expect. (and there may or may not be an epilogue hah)

i've been really shocked by the amount of positive feedback the first chapter got omf like i did not expect everyone to think it was good thank you, everyone who subscribed, thank you, everyone who commented < 3 

alsoo i've changed my inital plans for yeri's character. i'd been planning her to be some kind of sarcastic and also fairly sadistic type of slytherin you can see in draco malfoy, only less, but it seems that just won't work out for her LOL so yes, what you see in yeri is what she is. intelligent but socially awkward around people who aren't her close friends. think of sheldon from the big bang theory, but most certainly not as awkward as tHAT pmsl

now to this actual chapter: i apologize for the lack of jungri otl i just got so caught up writing the slytherins scene (which i absolutely loved to bits while writing) that i wasn't able to really create moments for them ; but i think it'll be a good opportunity to develop jungkook & yeri's relationship on an even pace- not too fast, not too slow. so far, they've just met, and they only know each other's names and etcetera basic information... or so one thinks.

cheers c: