of odd beginnings and a hollywood blockbuster quidditch game

no amortentia required

 

 


chapter one

of odd beginnings and a hollywood blockbuster quidditch game

 
"your homework is to read page two hundred seven to two hundred seventeen, on the transfiguration of thick books and other large objects," professor mcgonagall announces. "i'll also be expecting an essay on the process of your transfiguration attempts."
 
the class groans, with students muttering their discontent about the load of work. yeri is one of them. she wrinkles her nose as she writes it down. (just because she's a good student doesn't mean she likes extra work.)
 
"i swear to merlin, she wants us to shrivel into bloody goblins," junhoe, her housemate and good friend, voices under his breath. yeri hears him though, and a small snicker escapes her lips. they exchange a look of mutual understanding.
 
the professor ignores the students' annoyance, and checks the clock, saying, "class dismissed."
 
collective sighs are heard in all corners of the room. finally, the end of the last class of the day. along with all of her classmates, yeri stands up, gathers her books and scurries outside. she's the last one to do so.
 
as she's walking down the hall, she constructs a plan on how to spend her afternoon efficiently. but then someone slaps her shoulder good-naturedly, causing the girl to turn around. it's tzuyu. yeri and she have the classic female best friends relationship. in yeri's opinion, tzuyu's very much the female equivalent of junhoe.
 
if there's an iconic trio for every house in hogwarts, yeri, tzuyu and junhoe would be the top for slytherin. after all, the three are famous in their own areas - yeri for being a slytherin prefect and the fifth year's academic genius, tzuyu for being the all-around social butterfly, plus junhoe for being the cute, athletic heartthrob of the school.
 
"hey, where's junhoe?" yeri inquires, standing on her toes to look over the masses of students rushing down the halls.
 
 
her friend stares at her, her expression screaming what in merlin's saggy left unmentionables are you rambling about? "yeye, don't tell me you forgot-"
 
"uh, am i supposed to be remembering something?"
 
tzuyu groans loudly, loud enough for the passing students to stare at them briefly. "it's junhoe's first quidditch game, you ! not to mention it's against gryffindor! where have you been? weren't you there when junhoe was talking about it with sehun and chanyeol? he's a seeker, by the way."
 
"they were?" yeri says dumbly. she cringes at how idiotic she sounds.
 
"for merlin's sake, i can't believe you forgot your best friend's quidditch game - and your brother's."
 
"oh," oh. yeri remembers jongin talking about some game coming up a week ago, but she didn't pay it much attention. she was busy finishing her essay for divination at the moment.
 
"you know, you need to catch up on all the fun," tzuyu comments lightheartedly. "you're always burying your nose in books, you should get some time to rest and 'party hard', as the muggles say."
 
"how do you even pick up all of those weird phrases muggles have?"
 
"it helps to be a one quarter muggle-blood. anywho, the game's starting soon," her friend scans the hall, which is now practically empty. "they've all gone to watch the game. junhoe's going to wonder where the hell we are."
 
yeri opens to create an excuse to study, but she shuts it soon after, knowing how disappointed junhoe would be to know she wasn't there to cheer on him. the girl doesn't want to forsake friendship for her studies. "alright," she responds quietly.
 
tzuyu smiles at her proudly. "good girl," she coos, ruffling yeri's hair.
 
"tzuyu chou, just because i'm ten centimetres shorter than you doesn't mean i'm your own little petting dolly."
 
 
her friend snickers. "alright, alright. c'mon, yeye, now we are late," just as she finishes her sentence, there's a loud cheer echoing outdoors.
 
"hope junhoe doesn't think we bailed on him, or he'll be whining for weeks."
 
the two dash to the nearest exit to the quidditch field. hopefully, junhoe isn't freaking out over his first game.
 
 
 
-
 
 
 
 
"there you are!" cries jessica jung, fellow slytherin and proud head girl, as they squeeze their way inside the crowded bleachers. "the game's about to start. where were you two?"
 
"oh, yeri forgot about the game's existence," tzuyu answers plainly, ignoring her friend elbowing her.
 
"jongin's not going to be happy about his own sister forgetting his game," says another voice from behind. it's yixing, seventh year hufflepuff.
 
"yixing, what are you even doing here, this is the slytherin stand."
 
"what? you can see the game a lot better over here," the boy protests. "oh, and junhoe too, he won't be pleased - look, the players are going on the field."
 
 
the two groups of students, each in green and red, line up in order of age in the heart of the field. even from a few hundred metres away, it's not hard to notice the tension between the two teams.
 
"alright, witches and wizards, we have our players all up and ready for today's match! gryffindor versus slytherin! it's been quite a while since we've seen these two against each other-"
 
 
tzuyu rears her head in shock. "is that jongdae kim? the commentator's jongdae kim?"
 
"yep," jessica replies grimly.
 
"you'd expect them to actually get a normal narrator who's not a gryffindor for a gryffindor - slytherin match," yeri comments dryly.
 
"actually, the original commentator was set to be sungyeol lee, also known as the barmy loophead of gryffindor. except he's now sick in the infirmary. so, in a sense- we're lucky."
 
yixing sniggers. "bet you ten galleons that mcgonagall's going to scream her head off at kim at least once."
 
"no deal, zhang."
 
 
yeri looks down at the field. it's been a while since she's seen a school quidditch game. she's always so keen on keeping good grades that from some time, she just drifted away from the concept of having fun. it feels nice, though, to breathe in the fresh air the forbidden forest brings to the castle grounds.
 
her brother is fooling around with taehyun while simultaneously being judged by yoongi. from what she knows, all three are slytherin's chasers. jongin catches her eye and waves at her, to which she rolls her eyes and reciprocates.
 
she then tries to catch junhoe's attention. the boy's standing at the end of the line, and looks as if he's trying to stay calm despite the situation. he bites his cheeks- an old habit of his when he's feeling nervous.
 
when he finally sees her, he immediately brightens up and grins. she waves and mouths good luck, and he salutes back. they both burst into laughter.
 
but when she shifts her gaze, she notices that the boy in front of junhoe is looking at them strangely. their eyes meet, and he flinches, avoiding her stare. his red robes make it obvious that he's a gryffindor player, but yeri doesn't recognize him from anywhere. so why is he looking at me like that? the girl's not quite sure why, and so she decides to ignore him, turning back to tzuyu.
 
"..the game is starting," tzuyu says. "madam hooch is going to throw the quaffle-"
 
and indeed she does. the whistle blows. instantly, all fourteen brooms shoot up in the air.
 
 
"and it has begun, everyone! oh sh-i mean, slytherin's taehyun nam in possession of the quaffle!"
 
 
yeri can see professor mcgonagall glowering at jongdae, and she suppresses a laugh. she glances at the gryffindor players now chasing after taehyun. "who's what in the gryffindor team anyway?" she asks.
 
yixing points at the blonde haired boy hovering in front of gryffindor's goalposts. "you see him? that's luhan, gryffindor's captain and keeper."
 
"it seems gryffindor is on slytherin's tail, ah - finally, gryffindor is in possession of the quaffle, currently held by baekhyun byun-"
 
he nods to the brunet boy holding the quaffle and speeding ahead. "-and that's baekhyun byun, chaser."
 
"byun is getting closer to the slytherin goalpost, it seems he'll score the first point for gryffindor- oh no, god damn it-"
 
"KIM!"
 
"what did i tell you," yixing murmurs.
 
 
"-sorry, professor - it's a little hard to keep my cool- slytherin's jongin kim now in possession of the quaffle."
 
 
jessica gestures to the girl and boy flying after jongin. "-taeyeon kim and taehyung kim, siblings and both are also chasers. the beaters for gryffindor are the ones up there, mingyu kim and jackson wang."
 
 
"score, twenty points for bloody slytherin- alright, professor, i'll try-"
 
 
"then who's the see-"
 
 
"hold on, witches and wizards! slytherin's new seeker junhoe koo seems to be less than a few feet away from capturing the snitch, and it's only been five minutes."
 
the slytherin stand erupts into cheers and shouts, with every slytherin screaming 'you can do it, koo!' junhoe dives and swerves with his broom, attempting to catch the mischievous little golden ball. as quick his reflexes are, the snitch is still a step ahead of him. but yeri believes he'll be able to do it if he keeps himself together.
 
 
"but have no fear, gryffindors. jungkook jeon, our own golden seeker is on his tail!"
 
 
at the other side, the gryffindors roar with delight. "that's gryffindor's seeker," tzuyu remarks, pointing at the boy now chasing after junhoe. yeri narrows her eyes- it's the boy who gave her that strange look earlier. "jungkook jeon. you know him, right?"
 
"am i supposed to?"
 
"that's the second time you're saying that today," her friend sighs, as jongdae screams 'fourty points for gryffindor!'. "i'm going to make it my goal of the year to get you to become a more social person. he's popular, and when i say popular, i mean really popular."
 
"because he's on the quidditch team?"
 
"that, and also because he's cute. he's a good student too, which makes him perfect boyfriend material. it's safe to say that more than half of the girls in hogwarts fancy him."
 
that still doesn't explain why he was staring at me like that, yeri thinks. 
 
 
"-thirty points for slytherin, tragically, slytherin is in the lead- no, professor, i swear-"
 
 
yeri eyes junhoe and the boy named jungkook. they're in a very short distance within each other, although junhoe is currently in closer reach of the snitch. the snitch seems like it has other plans though- it avoids every attempt made by the two, flying high up and diving downwards. soon, it disappears from sight. the whole process almost makes her feel sorry for them.
 
 
"-the bludger hit by slytherin's beater wonwoo jeon struck taeyeon kim, how dare you, honestly-"
 
 
"he's completely gryffindor-biased, that ," jessica complains heatedly. 
yixing chortles. "language, jess, i thought you were supposed to be the head girl."
"can you blame me?"
"well, true."
 
 
"slytherin's yoongi min in possession of the quaffle, gryffindor's mingyu kim hurls a bludger in min's direction- ah, a devastating miss-"
 
yoongi swiftly evades the bludgers pitched by mingyu and jackson, his broom gliding towards the gryffindor goalposts. he approaches the first goalpost slowly- then suddenly soars up and catapults the quaffle backwards. caught off-guard, luhan tries to block the quaffle- only to see it fly through the goal hoop- twice.
 
"twenty points for slytherin, the score is seventy to fourty, slytherin in the lead- wait, hold on, witches and wizards, the snitch has appeared again!"

 
 
the snitch rises into view at the left side of the quidditch pitch, soaring left and right with incredible speed. junhoe and jungkook swerve around the field corners and make a beeline for the twitchy object. as the hunt for the snitch is continued, the crowd bellows, heating up with uncontainable excitement. this may just be the moment in which everything ends...please let junhoe get the snitch, she thinks, crossing her fingers hopefully.

 
suddenly, the snitch ascends to a high altitude in a perfect ninety degree angle and stops, leaving junhoe and jungkook dumbstruck for a millisecond. before the spectators realize it, they shift their broom positions and soar towards it. the snitch is still frozen.
 
"what's this? the snitch has suddenly stopped, and both koo and jeon are heading for it-"
 
 
now, it's just a matter of speed and time.
 
 
"c'mon, junhoe, get it!" screeches jessica, along with the hundreds of slytherins, contrasting to the gryffindors' "show 'em, jeon!"
 
it happens in mere seconds - both hands reach for the snitch and grab it at the same moment - at least, that's what it seems like to yeri and the hundreds of others in the crowd. 
 
 
and also at the same time, they collide into each other, and jungkook jeon falls off his broom.

 

 

-

 

 

author's note: this was also intended to be a oneshot, but i feel like it'll make the chapter too long (and i like cliffhangers huehuehue) so i'll be dividing it into two/three parts
i also changed the plot- so the description has sorta been changed. and i'm ashamed to say i wrote this when i had severe writer's block so excuse my rigid vocabulary and stale sentences ;; i was so excited to update this so orz
comment if you please! i'd love to hear what you think.