of divination class (and suspicious housemates)

no amortentia required

 

 

 
chapter five

of divination class (and suspicious housemates)
 



"you bloody traitor."

"tzuyu, it was a one time thing-"
 
tzuyu pays no attention to the shorter girl's explanation. "a trip to hogsmeadein the middle of the night! and you didn't even take me - this is outrageous-"
 
"shh, be quiet!" yeri hisses frantically, slapping a hand over the other's mouth. she glances around the hall to check if anyone has heard their conversation. fortunately, though, none display any signs of knowing. "someone could've heard, you know." she sighs.
 
"calm down, yeye. junhoe and i are the only ones who know beside you and those gryffindors. besides, no one cares enough about us to pay attention to our chit-chat." tzuyu declares, adjusting the stack of books in her arms. "merlin, this is heavy, if junhoe doesn't fetch his damned divination book soon..."
 
"well, professor mcgonagall would," the prefect enunciates as they discreetly pass by the transfiguration classroom. "apparently filch told her about him waking up confused in the library. she's been eyeing everyone like a hawk since breakfast, and if she finds out i was in it too, she'll faint."
 
"well, unless you act like a guilty nutter around her, there's no reason for her to be suspicious of you," her friend points out. "you're a prefect. and unless jeon and his friends get caught and rat you out-"
 
tzuyu stops mid-sentence and raises her eyebrows at something, no, someone behind yeri. yeri turns around as she feels a tap on her shoulder. believe it or not, it's jungkook.
 
he gives her a merry wave as he passes by(acknowledging tzuyu too with a casual, friendly nod). yeri awkwardly returns the gesture, and offers a genuine smile until the gryffindor quickly disappears around the left corner.
 
the two slytherins are silent for a moment as they continue walking to the right. "speak of the devil," tzuyu finally murmurs under her breath, but loudly enough for yeri to hear. "and isn't he in our divination class? why is he going the other way?"
 
"no clue. and he's not a devil, tzuyu."
 
"it's an expression, you dimwit. although it does have muggle origins," her friend adds. "but it seems to me he's not telling on you anytime soon."
 
"which is because?"
 
"c'mon, you know what i'm talking about. but anyhow, it's a curiosity how your 'friendship' has developed to the max overnight," the taller girl smirks. "are you sure you haven't excluded any other details from your adventure-"
 
"you're being ridiculous now," yeri splutters. she has a horrid feeling that her face is now bright red.
 
"i didn't say anything," tzuyu answers slyly. "but if that's what you thought, i won't stop you- owdon't slap my shoulder, yeri-"
 
"it wasn't-"
 
"it wasn't her, it was me," another quips behind them. it's junhoe. "i'm back, little goblins." yeri slaps him playfully. "ouch."
 
tzuyu is not amused. "you almost dislocated my arm." she tosses his books to him. "here - if you came a minute later, i would've charged you twenty galleons for damaging my arm muscles."
 
the boy catches them with his quick reflexes, and responds with a mockingly innocent expression. "oh, oops."
 
"before you two go at eachother again," yeri interjects, "can i say that we have three minutes left before class starts?"
 
a panicked expression crosses junhoe's face. ", we have trelawney, right?" the prefect nods.
 
"oh, joy," tzuyu comments sarcastically. "i wonder who's going to die today."
 
"which means, unless we all want painful deaths predicted in our near futures, we should probably be jumping up that tower."
 

 
--
 
 
 
"good save," someone sniggers as the trio dash into their seats, just before the bell rings. "exactly one half of a second before the bell. that's a new record." yeri glances behind her, and blinks in astonishment.
 
"yixing?" she says blankly. "and irene? what-" the seventh year hufflepuff girl merely waves in greeting.
 
"pretend we're not here," yixing jokes. "we're bailing on class for fun." irene slaps his arm, shaking her head and chuckling.
 
"no, but seriously - okay, yixing, maybe you'd miss out on your classes for fun, but irene? irene bae, the hufflepuff prefect?" yeri stares at the girl incredulously. "did he hex you into following him?"
 
before irene can reply, the hufflepuff boy interrupts. "blasphemy! i would never do such a thing. i convinced her with my marvelous persuasion skills and refined choice of words." he feigns a dramatically offended expression.
 
"you're the worst influence ever, yixing, how are you a hufflepuff -"
 
"actually, i can see you in the slytherin house," junhoe interrupts, rolling his eyes. "you'd be elected house leader for sure if you were. unanimously. and that's coming from a slytherin."
 
"alright, calm down, kids," yixing holds up his hands in surrender. "i bluffed. we're here under trelawney's request. she loves us, and she offered us two assistant positions. conveniently, this period happens to be history of magic class for us seventh year hufflepuffs, so it's a win-win situation for everyone." he smirks.
 
"i knew it," tzuyu stage-whispers. "irene bae would never miss a class."
 
"what is there to help out in divination though?" yeri inquires. "i mean, maybe there's something to do in herbology, care of magical creatures, or defense against the dark arts- but divination?"
 
"not sure," irene responds thoughtfully. she turns to yixing. "did she even elaborate on what we're supposed to be doing?"
 
"you're asking me?"
 
the hufflepuff prefect grimaces. "right." beside them, the three slytherins snort into their palms.
 
"oh well," irene shrugs. "i guess we'll have something to do-"
 
 
 
"students, i want you to take out your homework from the previous session," the chatter in the classroom fades away when professor trelawney speaks up in her hushed, wispy voice. "mr. zhang and miss bae, is everyone here?"
 
yixing scans the room briefly. "er, no, two seats empty."
 
the class rumbles, all whispering 'who?' yeri too peers around in curiosity. she discovers an unoccupied seat in the gryffindor section of the class. and of course, it strikes her that jungkook was going in the other direction previously in the halls. joy doesn't seem to be in the room either.
 
a sudden wave of panic hits her. oh no, she thinks miserably. maybe tzuyu is right. maybe they did get caught. then they'll say i was a part of it too...
 
"and who would they be?" the professor questions rather offhandedly. 
 
"um, i'm not in this class, or in this year so-"
 
 
 
clunk echoes throughout the quaint attic, and everyone's attention is focused on the circular entrance in the corner of the floor. a few grunts and sighs echo beneath it; soon, it pops open. everyone blinks incredulously at the two figures who climb up the ladder - jungkook jeon and joy park.
 
the divination professor's tone loses a bit of its dreamy lilt. "mr. jeon, miss park, the stars do not wait for those who are late."
 
"sorry, professor," jungkook apologises sheepishly. "i - well, we were called down by professor mcgonagall. she had to talk to joy and i. and two other friends." yeri sinks in her cushioned chair as her worst fears are confirmed. he's talking about jongup and taehyung. goodbye, prefect badge. joy catches her eye, and sends her a quizzical smile that yeri assumes is apologetic. oh well, it was my call. shouldn't have broken the rules.
 
trelawney still seems more than a little peeved, but everyone knows there's not much she can do. "go to your seats," she says tartly. "today, we will be mixing houses into groups of six. you will be practicing crystal-gazing in pairs, switching partners within the groups. groups will be placed randomly." the professor snaps her fingers, and a seating chart appears in midair. "that will be all."
 
the gryffindors and slytherins mutter as they stand up to peer at the seating chart. yeri squints at the glowing spell. she finds her name under her current table, and right below her name is junhoe's. the two friends silently exchange a look of victory.
 
"aw, damn it, we're not in the same group," tzuyu complains to her as she walks off to her new table. "well, at least i have jihoon and chaeyoung. and hanbin..."
 
"oi, yeri, we're in the same group, how lovely," a voice resonates cheerfully behind the slytherin prefect. it's mina myoui, fellow slytherin. wonwoo stands beside her, nodding to the other two in greeting. "hey."
 
"am i invisible to you?" junhoe asks indignantly.
 
mina raises an eyebrow mockingly. "sorry, didn't see you there, you practically blend into the wall - i mean, you are the wall..." the jab at his height proves to be funnier than intended; yeri has to choke back a laugh when she sees the irritation on her friend's face.
 
"screw you, myoui." junhoe mumbles as they sit down.
 
"no thanks."
 
the slytherin boy glowers at her, but soon turns away. "have all the slytherins set, we also have gryffindor mingyu kim and - oh, wow."
 
"what? what's wrong?" the slytherin prefect inquires in a slightly worried tone. "who do we have-" she stares at their table chart. on the list of names it says: yeri kim, junhoe koo, wonwoo jeon, mina myoui, mingyu kim and jungkook jeon.
 
yeri ignores wonwoo's low whistle(which signals he's caught wind of the whole situation), resisting the urge to step on his foot. when she meets mina's inquisitive eyes, she shrugs. "i don't know, maybe junhoe's gay for jeon." she says casually.
 
"the fu-"
 
"hey, everyone," jungkook says, right in time, causing the slytherin boy to clamp his mouth shut. he takes his seat beside yeri - and the action does not go unnoticed by the prefect and her good friend(yeri is sure junhoe will explode into a laughing fit if her face gets any pinker). "jungkook jeon. this is mingyu." junhoe and he exchange a casual slap on the back.
 
the boy called mingyu shakes his head. "jungkook, you're not my mum, i can introduce myself," he pats his friend, nodding to the others. "besides, i know everyone. junhoe and wonwoo from quidditch, mina from muggle studies, and-" he looks at yeri sheepishly. "sorry, i don't know you, you're - ?"
 
"yeri kim," the slytherin prefect replies. "it's alright."
 
"-yeri. see, i know everyone now. merlin, i should write a chapter for that muggle instruction book series, yeah, mina, how to handle social situations for dummies..."
 
 
 
while mingyu launches into an animated conversation with mina about odd muggle books, jungkook grimaces and turns to her. "i'm sorry, he's an idiot."
 
"he's funny," yeri says politely, but with a hint of genuineness. "in a good way," then she remembers about his visit to professor mcgonagall. "so, when are we having detention?" she says as casually as possible, not quite meeting his gaze.
 
when she does take a peek, however, he seems quite boggled. "what?"
 
"she's not giving us detention?" yeri is shocked - professor mcgonagall would never overlook events like this, or have students pass by unpunished. "or is it just me getting my prefect status taken away?"
 
 
jungkook chuckles, but his laughter sounds confused. "wait, what? what are you talking about?"
 
"uh, didn't you get caught by professor mcgonagall? about the little hogsmeade outing last night, i mean."
 
the boy stares at her for a few seconds, then bursts out laughing. "oh, that was what you thought?" he shakes his head, grinning. "no, it's not that at all. we were called up for the gryffindor quidditch practice arrangements."
 
"but-the two other friends-"
 
"they were luhan and taeyeon. anyhow, we had to schedule our practice sessions so they wouldn't clash with the ravenclaws'. we weren't the only ones there."
 
yeri's not sure what to say when all she's feeling is foolish embarrassment. "oh." 
 
jungkook snorts lightly. "we were extra careful in erasing our trails on the way back yesterday, there's no way anyone can ever realize that we were once there. besides - merlin, yeri - even if we did get caught, do you think we'd tell on you?"
 
a coral blush stains her cheeks. "well, i thought you'd do it. after all, it's not fair if only you guys receive the blame," she utters.
 
the gryffindor's lovely features are graced by a soft smile. "yeah, sure, but that would be disloyal. i prefer to do things that won't destroy my interpersonal relationships."
 
"it wouldn't really destroy our relationship-"
 
"you get what i mean."
 
the slytherin sighs. "you're mad," she mumbles. 
 
 
"for you."
 
 
both heads snap up upon hearing a snarky whisper, a voice that belongs to neither of them(simultaneously, their faces flush a brilliant scarlet). unsurprisingly, yixing is hovering near the two with crystal balls, not to mention that there's a mysterious and foreboding grin etched on his face. yeri dreads what the hufflepuff has to say next.
 
jungkook laughs awkwardly. "very funny, yixing."
 
"you could just thank me, you know."
 
for what? the slytherin girl wonders. making things unbearably awkward? she steals a look at the gryffindor, who looks very uncomfortable, to say the least.
 
"what are you and irene doing here though?" he asks quickly, changing the topic of discussion. "don't you have class?"
 
"trelawney needed assistants- aaand we have history of magic classes right now," the hufflepuff replies easily, leaving jungkook to put two and two together.
 
"oh. lucky you, but what about the classwork you'll miss?"
 
"i have my divine ways, young grasshopper."
 
"where the hell do you even get all of these phrases-"
 
 
yeri clears .
 
 
"oh, right. here, tots, distribute the crystal balls among pairs in your table. remember there's a partner rotation. and you have to write down what you see, even though you won't see ."
 
"i think i do see ," mina mutters disgustedly, peering at the strange, cocoa-coloured fog in her crystal ball.
 
"perfect, write that down then. trelawney would sing like a bird."
 
 
 
 
 
(extra)
 
 
for the first session, yeri is paired up with jungkook(coincidentally). having jungkook as a divination partner turns out to be an exciting thing , because a) he excels in the subject, and b) which means he's good at inventing up tragic, fascinating tales, the type that the professor adores.
 
 
the prefect's face scrunches up as she stares into the murky crystal ball. "...so on thursday, i'll slip on a banana peel-"
 
"make that a nimbus two thousand." jungkook interrupts.
 
"how can you slip on a broom?"
 
"you don't want to know."
 
 
"alright, alright-" yeri squints at the foggy center, making out the shape of a long stick. "-i'll also break my wand in half during the hogsmeade visit, forget to do my transfiguration homework-"
 
"-and your eleventh cousin will die," her gryffindor friend finishes for her.
 
"i don't have an eleventh cousin-"
 
"it doesn't matter, honestly. trelawney won't even know, and that's coming from experience," he chuckles. "add in an injured friend if you'd like."
 
the slytherin prefect chews on her upper lip in deep thought. "how about taehyung?" she whispers, as he's the only odd friend they have in common(and a good victim).
 
"perfect. make him trip over his own legs, the moron."
 
as soon as jungkook finishes his sentence, the two see the amusing side of the situation and start cracking up. loudly. they're too busy laughing, that they don't notice the majority of the others staring at them("leave them be, joohyun. best to let them be young, wild and free, just like in our old days," yixing snickers, when irene contemplates on telling them to quiet down a bit). 
 
 
but their giggles do not pass unnoticed by the professor, who snaps at them to be quiet(yeri guesses she's achieved her worst mood today). after muttering a small apology, jungkook and yeri are ordered to work with eachother, quietly.
 
one strange thing bothers yeri though. while turning her head from professor trelawney and back to her notebook, her eyes catch all of the slytherins in her table staring at her with weird expressions on their faces. the prefect is sure she sees a wicked smirk on junhoe's face that soon disappears when she raises her eyebrows at him(he feigns a sudden interest in his crystal ball). wonwoo rolls his eyes when they make eye contact, while mina is struggling to suppress a rabid laugh. the three exchange knowing, irritating glances with each other, and shake with mirth among themselves.
 
 
the girl clears loudly. "what is it?" she asks, her voice tinged with annoyance.
 
 
"oh, nothing," the other slytherins answer in unison.
 
 
yeah, right.


 
-
 
 
a/n: apologies for the late update, omg. i hope this was better than the last chapter, though short. my writer's block is still severe as ever. ugh. 
i'm guessing everyone knows why the slytherins are being so secretive. hint hint catching on cou ghs

this is sort of an extra chapter full of jungri fluff and also some good ol' slytherin banter hahaha
and @tourmaline THIS IS THE LAYRENE FEATURE THOUGH SHORT I'M SORRY 

and wow jeSUS chRiST 60+ subs and 1000+ views??? wtf guys ty for loving this stupid lil hogwarts au < 3 and also ty for putting up with me and my late updates s o bs