The Star

X-mas Edition

She flicked on the Christmas tree lights admiring the finished product of her hard work. As her eyes traveled up to the top of the tree she frowned at the absence of the most important part – the star. She scanned the room to where the topper lay upon the couch behind her; she walked over and picked it up as she sat. She contemplated putting the star on the tree herself but she decided to wait for the arrival of her boyfriend, Jaebum.

            “Probably stuck in traffic” she concluded as she wondered what was taking Jaebum so long.  She continued to wait for him, while she looked down at the star smiling at the memories it held. The item had been with them through four Christmas’ already but the first one was by far the most memorable.

            Their first Christmas was also their first date. She had been invited to a group date that involved her friends and had met Jaebum that way. At first she had felt that he was cold but as everyone split into two leaving them alone she decided to attempt befriending him to say the least.  They decided to take a walk around the busy street to past the time, and as they did she started a conversation with him trying to get him to talk but was only met by one word responses. By then she had given up leaving them to walk in silence, and as they did she had forgotten that Jaebum was with her. She had accidentally left Jaebum as she ran off to a shop that sold handmade toys. He had wondered if he should follow and decided to do so, instead of leaving the girl alone. Once he entered the toyshop he saw her approaching him looking down at the toys she bought. She was to busy looking in the bag that she had bumped into the chest of Jaebum, causing him to scowl down at her making her apologize profusely as they exited the shop. Jaebum was about to comment on how old she may be to play with toys but was stopped in his tracks once he noticed that they were heading towards a toy donation box. After she placed the toys inside the box she looked up at Jaebum gleaming with joy and for the first since they met he smiled back surprising her. Before they continued on their way she pulled out a little trinket and placed it in the palm of his had while wishing him a ‘Merry Christmas’ and at that moment Jaebum realized how charming she was. As they walked further down the street they came across a store that sold tree toppers and one had caught her attention, Jaebum noticed this and walked into the store with no words spoken. He then walked out holding a bag, handing it to her. By the end of the date Jaebum took her home since her friends were still with the guys they had went off with.

            As they approached her house she invited him for a cup of coffee which he agreed to. As the coffee was brewing Jaebum sat on her couch watching the girls eyes light up as she pulled out the tree topper she was interested in. She jumped up in excitement thanking him which made he laugh at her enthusiasm as he watched her stretch as much as possible to place the star upon the top. He saw how much she struggled, so he walked up behind her silently and placed the star easily onto the tree. Once he finished he smiled down at her making her fluster, that was the moment that Jaebum’s brain-to-mouth filter failed him as he asked

            ‘Do you want to be my girlfriend?’

            After that question everything seemed to fall into place. They spent the rest of the night talking, and that moment led to the future they now shared together. While she reminisced the first Christmas they had spent together Jaebum had arrived home breaking her from her memories. She looked up to see her boyfriend staring down at her surprised which she responded to with a warm smile.

            “I thought you’d be asleep by now, sorry that I came home late” Jaebum apologizing setting his bag down and taking his jacket off.

            “”Don’t worry about it, anyways here’s the star” she said as she handed it to him, which he excitedly took over to the tree and placed it on top. He was about to talk but when he looked back at his girlfriend, he had froze admiring her joyous expression plastered on her face and the same expression that always caused his heart to skip a beat.

            “How is it?” Jaebum asked stepping back to gaze at the star. She gave him a thumbs up which he in response gave a short laugh due to how child-like the action seemed. Jaebum walked over to her and sat beside her pulling her close to his side. She rested her head on his shoulder cuddling up to him as he patted her head softly enjoying the warmth he felt. Both stayed in comfortable silence and relished in the Christmas spirit that lingered in the room before it had been interrupted by Jaebum.

            “What did you want for Christmas again?” he asked looking down at her curiously. She took a second to think as she glanced up at the beautiful star that sat upon the tree.

            She looked up at him giving him a loving smile knowing exactly what she wanted this year and the years to come “I’ll be content with your presence during Christmas.”

            Jaebum looked down at her thinking she was joking but as he realized that she meant it he pulled her closer kissing the top of her head. He kept his face hidden knowing how flustered he must have looked. Jaebum never expected such a response that he was caught off guard and was speechless. When they first met he never thought that a girl as childish as her could ever catch his attention, and now during this moment he knew that she had done more then catch his attention – she had caught the love he purposely kept from others and when she had he knew he wouldn’t regret it.

            “Well then, I guess you’ll be getting what you want this year” Jaebum answered trying to stay cool but the growing smile across his face betrayed him, as he leaned in to steal a kiss.