Do you wanna build a snowman?

Eunhae Tales | Winter Edition

A/N: Merry Christmas everyone! Lyrics from Frozen's 'Do you want to build a snowman'. 

 

 

“We only have each other. It’s just you and me. What are we gonna do? Do you wanna build a snowman?” Hyukjae sang as he walked past the kitchen, where Donghae was in the process of making a lovely log cake for their Christmas party next evening. They had invited quite a few of their friends, and Donghae had automatically assumed the authority of deciding the menu for that night. Being the perfectionist he was, he had to get a head start if he was going to finish all the dishes that he had planned for the festive event. So far, he had several ideas for the appetizers – sweet potato salad, prawn and mango salad and tuna canapés. He hadn’t even purchased all the ingredients for them, so he made a mental note to visit the supermarket in the next few days. The main entrée was definitely going to be a roast turkey with all the stuffings, but he was going to put a twist to it by adding kimchi to the mix. Dessert was to be traditional Yule log. It had to be a really big chocolate log cake; because the number of guests had more than doubled the initial number they planned to have. Hyukjae had gone overboard as usual, so the number increased from a single digit to a double digit. By a miracle, the number did not balloon to a triple digit. In any case, Donghae wasn’t sure if a triple digit number of people could even fit into their apartment. Everyone would be cramped like sardines.

 

“I got the hint. You can stop singing. We can go when I’m done with the cake, or after lunch, whichever comes first.” Donghae wiped a beat of sweat off his brow. Making a log cake was really hard work. Donghae had opted to make it slightly like tiramisu by adding liqueur and coffee into the cream. One might think that making a sponge cake was really simple, but the key was to make the sponge fluffy and moist, not heavy and dry. Also, Donghae had already planned in his mind to decorate the cake to look exactly like a piece of wood that was freshly chopped from the forest. To add to the difficulty of the dish, he also had to create little meringue mushrooms as decorations.

 

It was the first time that it had snowed this heavily since winter, heavily enough to pile snow together to make a snowman. Goodness knows how long Hyukjae was waiting for this day to come. The first snow this season had not been enough to go playing in, and Hyukjae had been sorely disappointed. Now, he wanted more than ever to be outdoors.

 

“Donghae, do you know that no two snowflakes are exactly the same?” Hyukjae said as he pressed his nose against the cool windowpane as he watched the snowflakes fall down from the sky.

 

“Yeah, Hyuk. They’re special, just like you.” Donghae called from the kitchen.

 

“Hae, you’re being cheesy again.” Hyukjae pretended to be annoyed.

 

“But you like it when I’m cheesy. I bet you’re seriously giggling in your mind and wishing that I’m cheesy twenty-four seven.” Donghae smiled widely, revealing his slightly crooked teeth.

 

Hyukjae especially loved Donghae’s slightly crooked teeth. It reminded him often of the fact that no one was perfect; everyone had their own flaws. He still loved Donghae all the same, and Donghae’s slightly crooked teeth added to his charm. He was pretty sure that he had his own imperfections, and Dongahe had accepted them anyway. They were both like snowflakes in some way, imperfect, but still beautiful.

 

“Hae…” Hyukjae whined again. “If we wait any longer, the snow will become hard and then we can’t build a snowman any longer.”

 

Donghae sighed. Hyukjae was right though. It was easier to pack freshly fallen snow.

 

“Do you wanna build a snowman, or prance around the halls. I think some company is overdue. I’ve started talking to pictures on the walls…” Hyukjae stared at a picture of three macarons placed atop each other. “Hang in there, pinky!” Hyukjae tapped at the pink macaron that seemed as though it was going to loose its balance and fall, but it never did, because it was a painting after all, and gravity didn’t apply.

 

“It gets a little lonely, all these empty rooms…” Donghae could hear Hyukjae’s footsteps echoing down their corridor, and he scoffed. They didn’t have that many rooms to begin in the firs place. And obviously the rooms were empty. Donghae found more reason to be concerned if they were not empty.

 

“Just watching all these hours tick by…” Hyukjae flopped himself dramatically onto the sofa and kicked his feet in the air, clucking his tongue to resemble the ticking of a clock.

 

Donghae knew that Hyukjae was singing as though he were the lead of some musical just to rile him up. And it actually kind of worked. Donghae had just finished baking the sponge, so he could definitely spare some time building a snowman with Hyukjae while the sponge cooled. He picked up Hyukjae’s coat from the wardrobe and he dumped it unceremoniously on his boyfriend, who was lying down on the couch and wiggling his toes. A scarf, hat and mittens followed.

 

“Hurry and dress up, if you wanna build a snowman!”