Christmas Surprise

Eunhae Tales | Winter Edition

“Hae, you know I hate surprises.” Hyukjae felt his lips turn outwards into a pout. “Pretty please, can I remove the blindfold now?” He hoped that his pout was adorable enough to sway Donghae.

 

“You know, half the reason why I always plan surprises is for you to act cute.”

 

Hyukjae could practically hear the smirk that probably decorated Donghae’s handsome face right now. Hyukjae clenched his fists and stomped his foot in frustration.

 

“Just a few more steps, Hyukkie.”

 

Hyukjae felt Donghae’s breath against his ear and a familiar palm pressing against the small of his back. He leaned back into Donghae’s firm chest as he took baby steps forward.

 

“You’re walking like a baby penguin.”

 

“Are you saying I’m slow?” Hyukjae retorted. Hyukjae turned around and randomly jammed his index fingers into Donghae’s chest. Donghae caught his wrists before they could inflict any further damage.

 

“No, I’m saying that you’re cute.”

 

Hyukjae felt himself smile. Donghae always knew when to say the right things.

 

“Cute, but slow.”

 

He heard Donghae add quickly, and before he knew it, he was swept off his feet, literally, and into Donghae’s strong arms. But he didn’t know that, because he couldn’t see, so what Hyukjae did was to scream and clutch onto the nearest thing his hands found, which happened to be Donghae’s shirt. But he didn’t know that either.

 

Hyukjae’s screaming was effectively hushed when Donghae pressed his mouth against Hyukjae’s, and Hyukjae ended up screaming into the kiss until he was out of breath. After what seemed like forever, Hyukjae decided that his vocal cords needed a break. That was when Donghae’s lips left him.

 

“I didn’t know you wanted neighbours to come knocking and then see you ripping my shirt with such great vigour. They might think we’re doing stuff. After all, you are blindfolded.”

 

Hyukjae stiffened and loosed his grip on the cotton of Donghae’s white shirt. He whacked Donghae’s firm pec in response and folded his arms for the rest of the journey, which were approximately five small steps. Hyukjae had counted Donghae’s footfalls.

 

“I could have walked five steps!” Hyukjae said incredulously.

 

“Yeah, and miss the chance to be swept off your feet?” He heard Donghae chuckle.

“Ok, ready in three… two… one!” Hyukjae blinked furiously as his eyes adjusted to the beautiful sight. He was standing in the living room, which was transformed into a winter wonderland. Donghae had set up the Christmas tree. Hyukjae knew that he smelt the faint scent of pine. What was all the more amazing was that Donghae had single handedly decorated the Christmas tree with all the ornaments that they had accumulated over the years, and weaved fairy lights through the braches. The lights twinkled merrily against the sharp contrast of dark green, and it made the glitter on various Christmas ornaments sparkle. But something was missing…

 

“Here.” Donghae placed the golden star that they purchased at the Christmas market to place at the top of the tree. “I know you’ve been really busy with your article deadlines, so this was supposed to be a surprise. I hope you aren’t mad I started without you…” Donghae’s voice trailed off as he watched Hyukjae’s expression closely.

 

Hyukjae finally found his voice. “No, Hae. This… this is absolutely perfect. It’s the best surprise ever.” He flung his arms around Donghae’s neck and gave him a passionate kiss that reflected his appreciation for Donghae’s surprise.

 

As of late, Hyukjae had several articles pending for the January issue of the magazine, and since the fashion editor was on maternity leave, he had to cover her feature as well. What was worse was that the feature was to be an interview with Kim Heechul, male revolutionary fashionista, and single handedly the most difficult man to please on Earth. He was almost impossible to arrange an appointment with, and often cancelled them when Hyukjae was already waiting for him at the meeting spot. Thankfully, he was one of Donghae’s contacts ever since Donghae had satisfied with one of his Portuguese egg tarts, and Heechul couldn’t refuse when Donghae promised a box of those egg tarts in return for an hour of his. Hyukjae couldn’t believe that he had been so stressed lately that he completely forgot about the Christmas tree.

 

“Carry me?” Hyukjae asked sweetly.

 

He deftly climbed atop Donghae’s shoulders and proudly placed the shiny gold star atop their Christmas tree.

 

“It’s completed!” Hyukjae clapped his hands in pure jubilation after Donghae had set him back on his feet.

 

“Thank you, Hae! That was the best surprise ever!” Hyukjae the torn hem of Donghae’s shirt. “I’m sorry about your shirt though…” Hyukjae accidentally brushed his little finger past Donghae’s .

 

“Well, I’m not.” Donghae his lips and grinned devilishly. “I know the best way you can thank me.” Once again, Hyukjae was swept off his feet and into Donghae’s arms. This time, Donghae reached the bedroom in five large steps.