Up The Ferris Wheel

Eunhae Tales | Winter Edition

The Ferris wheel was just as majestic as it was described in the post on the Facebook page, so there was definitely no false advertising there. Each pod on the Ferris wheel was different. There was one of Santa, a reindeer, a snowman, a Christmas tree, and a gingerbread house. They were all so cute, and Hyukjae didn’t know which one to pick (maybe he’d go on a few rounds just to sit in all of them).

 

“Pick one,” Donghae urged.

 

“No, you pick,” Hyukjae smiled back at his boyfriend.

 

“I’ll pick the gingerbread house,” Donghae decided.

 

“As expected of a patissier.”

 

Both of them moved carefully into the next gingerbread house pod and sat opposite each other so that the pod would be more balanced. The Ferris wheel conducter handed them a gingerbread man cookie each to snack on for the entire revolution before their pod reached the ground again.

 

“So, what if our pod got stuck right at the top?” Donghae mused as he bit into the warm gingerbread. “Oh, this is tasty.”

 

Hyukjae glared at him from behind the scarf, but his pout was hidden by the maroon cloth. His boyfriend knew that he was afraid of heights. Well, sometimes he was, and sometimes he wasn’t. He could sit on a cable car and then shout from the peak of the mountain but then when the capsule that both of them were in at the London Eye stopped dramatically just before it began its descent back down, Hyukjae had absolutely freaked out. Now that he remembered this tiny fact, the decided that he wouldn’t be sitting on any other pod after this ride, cute or not. He didn’t even know why he entertained Donghae by sitting on the Ferris wheel anyway. He tugged the scarf down, and bit the head of the gingerbread man off in one swift bite.

 

“I was kidding.” Donghae held Hyukjae’s free hand between his warm ones after witnessing Hyukjae murder the gingerbread man with great vehemence. “You’re so cute when you’re venting it out on the gingerbread man.”

 

The gingerbread house pod was halfway to the top.

 

“Shall we make a wish when we reach the top?” Donghae asked.

 

“I already know what I’m going to wish for,” Hyukjae replied hastily, his mouth full of gingerbread crumbs.

 

Donghae tilted his head to the left in a silent question.

 

“I’m going to wish it doesn’t stop at the top.”

 

Donghae burst out laughing. Why was Hyukjae so adorable?

 

“You do know it has to reach the top before you make your wish right? But don’t worry, if it stops, I’ll hold your hands,” Donghae said reassuringly and squeezed Hyukjae’s hands for extra measure.

 

“I’ll squeeze all the blood out of your hands,” Hyukjae said in a warning tone.

 

“Hey, be gentle. These hands need to make whatever sweets you crave.”

 

Hyukjae pouted but squeezed Donghae’s hands anyway, but gentler this time.

 

“Hyuk?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“You didn’t make your wish, right?”

 

Hyukjae huffed. How did Lee Donghae happen to know everything? Did he work at a patisserie or did he secretly take mind reading classes?

 

“No, because you’re such a distraction…”

 

“Yeah, I kinda guessed that, because we’re kinda stuck at the top now.”

 

Hyukjae jerked his hands out of Donghae’s and peered out of the pod to confirm that this was true.

 

“Lee Donghaeeeeeeeeeeee!”

 

Needless to say, Donghae’s fingers were squeezed numb by Hyukjae’s vice-like grip until the little gingerbread house began its descent.