From the Beginning Pt. 2

Eunhae Tales | Winter Edition

“Oh fiddlesticks, I’m late!” Hyukjae haphazardly threw on his coat, swept his camera, tape recorder, note pad and pen into his messenger bag. Absentmindedly, he picked up the silver ticker on his bedside table and placed it in his coat pocket, together with his phone and earphones, hotel card key, and some chocolate kisses that he had stolen from the reception. He hated being disorganized. It was his pet peeve. But today, he had no choice but to tolerate his own messy behavior because he was in a hurry. And, he was late!

 

Thankfully, he managed to flag a cab down once he stepped out of the hotel. Hyukjae calmed himself down and tried to say the name of his destination in English but the taxi driver gave him a strange look, so Hyukjae settled for showing the taxi driver the address on his phone.

 

When he finally arrived, Hyukjae passed the taxi driver a ten pound note, and quickly jumped out. He made a mad dash for the ballroom where the cooking competition was to be held.

 

“Ticket please, sir.” The security requested.

 

Hyukjae hurriedly searched his messenger bag for the invitation. Goodness, he hadn’t actually forgot to bring it in his hurry today, did he? Hyukjae rummaged through his pockets, pulling out everything at once because the contents were all entangled in his earphones.

 

The security personnel kindly plucked out the silver ticket from the crazy ball of mess in Hyukjae’s hands. Hyukjae just stared at the silver piece of paper. That was not the invitation to the event.

 

“This way, please.”

 

What? Hyukjae decided to just go with the flow because he was already late, and if that was the golden (no, silver actually) ticket into the ballroom, then so be it.

 

“Ehm…” Hyukjae realised that he was being ushered into the VIP area for no reason because he was just a mere journalist hoping to get an interview with one of the finalists of the competition, Lee Donghae. Lee Donghae was especially famous because he was the youngest Korean chef to be invited for the competition.

 

Lee Donghae… Lee Donghae… Cupcake…

 

Hyukjae’s mouth dropped open in realization. He had met Lee Donghae last night without even realizing it was him. How stupid could he get? He could have had an exclusive interview and then his boss would stop hounding on him like a female dog.

 

“Cupcake, you came!”

 

Hyukjae turned around as though he was a deer caught in the headlights. It was Lee Donghae in the flesh. Curses, he was so embarrassed right now and wanted the carpet to swallow him whole. How dare Donghae call him cupcake in front of all the other VIPs and… Most of all, Hyukjae wanted to smack himself for being so infatuated with that nickname that he responded to it.

 

“Don’t call me that,” Hyukjae said lowly. But then, he remembered that he had to bag this exclusive interview for his boss. “Look, can we…”

 

“May all the finalists please take their places at their stations. The competition will begin shortly.”

 

“That’s me! Toodles, cupcake. Catch you later, okay?” Donghae sent Hyukjae a flying kiss.

 

Hyukjae just stared longingly at Donghae’s retreating figure.

 

_

 

“And… the special commendation goes to Lee Donghae for showing a fine display of culinary skills in his delicious chocolate soufflé with Peach Melba and crushed hazelnuts.

 

Hyukjae watched in admiration as Donghae walked up proudly to receive his award. His long bangs covered his eyes again and Hyukjae wanted to tuck them behind his ears for him. You did not just think that, Lee Hyukjae. You did not!

 

“Cupcake!”

 

Hyukjae was jolted back to reality by that nickname. He scowled and turned to face a grinning Donghae, who had already pranced off the stage.

 

“Look! I won something!” Donghae showed Hyukjae his certificate of commendation and his little macaron shaped medal.

 

The exclusive interview, Hyukjae reminded himself.

 

“Congratulations,” Hyukjae said, forcing a smile on his face. “I’m a journalist for V magazine, and I’m very interested in interviewing you for our magazine’s December edition.”

 

“Anything for you, cupcake.” Donghae smiled and ruffled Hyukjae’s hair.

 

“I have other people to talk to, but meet me at my room, okay?” Donghae slipped a card key into Hyukjae’s palm and skipped away.

 

_

 

Hyukjae paced nervously outside Donghae’s room. He hadn’t had the courage just to swipe the card key and invade someone’s privacy. He wasn’t like some snoopy gossip magazine writer, and he definitely was not going to check what brand of underwear Donghae was wearing. Yes, he had thought of it, but then he wasn’t… it just wasn’t him, although that would be really juicy gossip.

 

What if the key was a dud, and Donghae just wanted to throw him off the trail because he didn’t want to give the interview? Stop wasting time, Hyukjae told himself. Donghae could have escaped and be a million miles away from here by now. Then, his boss would be a complete when he was back in the office and…

 

At that thought, Hyukjae swiped the card hastily, and his eyes grew wide when there a happy beep and a flashing green light to show that the room was unlocked.

 

Hyukjae pushed the door open. At the same time, another door inside the room opened as well. Donghae stepped out of the bathroom clad in just a towel, and surrounded by a lot of steam. Hyukjae raised both his hands to shield his eyes, causing the front door to slam back right onto his nose.

 

_

 

“Oh, you’re so adorably funny, cupcake.” Donghae said, rubbing Hyukjae’s red nose with a small ice pack. “Now you look like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.”

 

“I do not!” Hyukjae snorted in distaste, his cheeks aflame.

 

“Now, tell me. Are you secretly a ert?” Donghae asked. “How did you know the exact time to open the door, just when I ended my steamy hot shower?”

 

“No!” Hyukjae pouted, hiding his face in his hands. He was mega-embarrassed with then, even more so when Donghae opened the door and pulled him into the room, in ONLY a towel still. Hyukjae didn’t even know where to look!

 

“Are you sulking, cupcake?” Donghae teased.

 

“Am not!” Hyukjae retorted from between his fingers.

 

“How about some hot chocolate for my little cupcake? Will that make you feel better?” Donghae asked patronizingly.

 

Hyukjae lifted his head a little at the mention of hot chocolate. He pouted, “Maybe that might make me feel a little bit better.”

 

Donghae patted Hyukjae’s leg, and went off the make the hot chocolate.

 

“You know,” Donghae called from the kitchen. “You should really stop that pout. It makes me want to kiss you again.”

 

Hyukjae glared at Donghae, his hands shifting to cover his lips protectively.

 

_

 

“This is really… really good.” Hyukjae hummed contentedly as he sipped the hot beverage in his hand.

“The secret to a good hot chocolate is lots of marshmallows.” Donghae said, taking a seat beside Hyukjae on the couch. “But thank you for the compliment, cupcake. It means much more coming from you.”

 

Time to get down to business, Hyukjae.

 

“Um… I’m actually here to interview you.” Hyukjae coughed and placed the mug of hot chocolate on the coffee table.

 

“I know. Your editor called me last week.” Donghae hid a grin behind his cup.

 

“Yes, so I will really appreciate it if you could…” Wait, what did Donghae just say?

 

“Lee Hyukjae right?” Donghae smiled, his bangs falling over and covering his eyes again.

 

Dang, Hyukjae really liked that smile. That would totally look great for the magazine, and he would get some praise from his editor.

 

“Omo… Can I take a photo of you… I mean… for the magazine… not for myself.” Hyukjae wanted to kick himself for stuttering.

 

“It’s okay. You can do both.” Donghae flashed him another smile. Hyukjae frowned, but didn't retort because Donghae accepted his request.

 

Donghae fetched his certificate and medal and started posing.

 

“Ah, wait. Your hair…” Hyukjae murmured, lifting his face from the camera. He ran over and tucked Donghae’s flyaway bangs behind his ears.

 

Hyukjae’s face was really close to Donghae’s. Donghae smiled, and then leaned forward, giving Hyukjae a small peck on the lips.

 

“What was that?” Hyukjae jumped back, surprised. He covered his lips protectively with his hands again.

 

“Just some mistletoe.” Donghae grinned widely, pointing at a sprig of mistletoe hanging above him. Hyukjae wanted to kick himself for falling for the same trick twice.