Hot Chocolate & Churros Pt. 1

Eunhae Tales | Winter Edition

Hyukjae huffed. Donghae was making him wait again. He absolutely hated waiting in the cold. Hyukjae pouted as he shoved his hands deeper into the pockets of his light blue pea coat and kicked an innocent pebble. He exhaled puffs of cold air and mentally wished that he had brought a scarf with him to snuggle his nose in. He imagined all the scarves he owned lining up in front of him, and decided that the cream scarf with fluffy pompoms on the edges probably matched his coat best.

 

Hyukjae let out another puff of air. He didn’t think Donghae would be that late for their Christmas market date, especially since Donghae was the one who suggested it. Donghae was adamant on sitting on the Ferris wheel that was advertised on the Facebook event page. Naturally, being a festive person, Hyukjae wasn’t one to say no. But now Donghae was late!

 

Hyukjae grew sick and tired of pacing around. He really should have planned his outfit better today, who knew that it would be so chilly? He at the edge of a fountain and knocked his knobby knees today. Surprisingly, it wasn’t cold enough for the water to freeze yet, so the fountain was happily spurting out jets of water that changed colours every few minutes with the LED lights reflecting from the bottom of the fountain.

 

“Gosh, I’m sorry I’m late, Hyukkie.” Hyukjae saw a pair of red converse sneakers in front of his matching dark blue ones. Couple sneakers, he remembered Donghae describing their shoes. Donghae was completely out of breath because he had been running all the way from the patisserie to the train station and then from the train station to the park where the Christmas market was held. He was making macarons today and had completely lost track of time because he was too focused on perfecting them.

 

“I didn’t mean to keep you, Hyukkie.” Donghae said, staring at Hyukjae with his puppy eyes. “You must be cold.” Donghae unwrapped the maroon cashmere scarf around his neck, folded it in half, and knotted it around Hyukjae’s neck. He reached into Hyukjae’s coat pockets and pulled out Hyukjae’s cold hands, rubbing them between his, and occasionally blowing warm air into them to warm them up.

 

“I’m okay.” Hyukjae said in a small voice, ashamed that he had been mad at Donghae before. Even though the maroon scarf clashed with his outfit, it didn’t matter, because Donghae had worn it for him.

 

“Don’t be mad, Hyukkie. I’ll make it up to you.” Donghae clasped Hyukjae’s hands tightly and gave his cutest pout.

 

You’ve already made it up by coming and doing the sweetest things that a boyfriend could do.

 

“I’m cold after waiting for so long, I want some hot chocolate and churros.” Hyukjae murmured from behind the scarf.

 

“Yeah! Let’s get some hot chocolate to warm your tummy up.” Donghae held Hyukjae’s hand tightly in his and ran to the nearest hot chocolate stall he could find.

 

The Christmas market was really huge. There was even a huge Christmas tree at the centre of an ice skating rink. The various cottages with elaborate decorations were converted into stalls. Christmas carols were blasted all around. Donghae’s eyes spotted a cottage with a sign that indicated that they served hot chocolate.

 

“Do you want it with whipped cream and marshmallows?” Donghae asked, knowing that Hyukjae absolutely loved his hot chocolate made that way and not any other additional ingredients would please him. Not even if the marshmallows were replaced with chocolate flakes. Hyukjae was particular like that, but that was what made Hyukjae him, and Donghae liked him just that way he was.