Christmas Eve

December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

2

Christmas Eve

 

 

24th December

 

It was Christmas Eve and Sulli was very anxious and frustrated. She mulled as she scattered her entire wardrobe onto her bed. She couldn't find something presentable to wear for the dinner date tonight. And then what was she going to wear? Mentally scolding herself why didn't she bring at least a dress along.

But she knew who would be in a right mind to bring the thin fabric so called dress along for a trip when it was so cold in Korea and moreover she didn't expect to be asked out for a date. She thought she was just going to spend her entire holiday in the lodge to do some soul searching. However fate decided to intervene and gave her Choi Minho.

Stop right at the thought of new acquaintance, her lips had its mind to curl up into a smile. Sulli knew that if she met Minho anywhere else, they sure wouldn't have spoken to one another, taken that walk yesterday morning and grown closer by nightfall. Probably Minho would have just walked past her without a backward glance. He was a handsome man who could have any lady he wanted. Of course, he wouldn't have noticed her at all.

It was Christmas season where people wished for peace and happiness. Sulli figured out if it was meant to enjoy her time with a handsome and nice person like Minho, she would just grab it with both hands and then she would move on after the festive season was over. She had at most four days to enjoy his company.

Sulli shook her head. This was certain not a time to hesitate. Although she actually came here for a reason and even if it wasn't what she originally planned, she was determined to make the best out of it.

 

- - - -

 

Minho sat alone quietly at the lobby of the lodge, waiting for Sulli to arrive. He was anxious to see her. After the walk yesterday, they managed to talk more about themselves over coffee after that. They were pleasantly surprise to know there were many things of like and dislike they had in common. Minho was very glad that Sulli was willingly open toward him as he really wanted to know more about her.

"Going out for a date?" Said a voice from behind as she appeared at the lobby.

Minho turned to find Mrs. Kim. He nodded with a broad smile. "I'm having dinner in Seoul with Sulli."

Mrs. Kim frowned. "Seoul? Aren't you worried of getting caught?"

"I will manage." Answered Minho, tugging the beret that he was wearing closer to his eyes.

Mrs. Kim took a seat next to him. "She doesn't know yet, does she?"

Minho shook his head. "No."

She frowned. "Why? You didn't tell her?"

Minho sighed. "I just want to know her better before I tell her."

Mrs. Kim paused for a few seconds. "You are afraid that she will love your popularity more than you."

Minho slowly nodded. "That's right."

The elder woman broke into a small smile. "Minho, clearly she doesn't know who you are. If she does she would recognize your face or even your name."

Minho looked at her. "She might. I won't take any chances."

"So it's quite serious?" She asked.

Minho smiled at her. "She is pretty."

For a moment Mrs. Kim just stared at Minho with a serious look and then she sighed. "Minho, we all know Sulli is pretty. But she isn't a local. On top of that, I'm supposed to look out for her." She touched his arm. "Don't toy with her. If you are not prepared to go with her back to Canada, don't bother trying."

"I could convince her to stay." Replied Minho, losing the smile. He thought Mrs. Kim was on his side and now he wasn't sure why was she discouraging him in courting a girl he was interested. He valued and respected her opinions. After all she was the one who encouraged him to reach out for his dreams and became who he was today. However, this was the first time Minho didn't like what she said.

She sighed. "I don't mean to go against your love interest or something. I mean if you realize more about Sulli, you would know it's impossible."

"How do you know?" Asked Minho.

"I know her family."

Minho looked at her seriously. "Auntie Kim, I'm serious with her and I'm already intending to convince Sulli to stay. You know my job doesn't permit me to go overseas."

"You mean you don't permit yourself to go overseas. We all know your job allows you to work from anywhere. The advancement of technology and air travel makes things easier for people." Said Mrs. Kim.

Minho sighed. "This is my home."

"And Canada is her home. One of you would have to sacrifice your home and I don't think Sulli can. Yes, Korea is her origin but she has her life with the only family she has in Canada." She pointed out.

They studied each other. It was obvious that Minho didn't like what she said.

Mrs. Kim didn’t mean to be harsh toward this young man but she knew that she had to be realistic. The geographical distance between the both of them would be a major obstacle between their relationship. If one of them could compromise, then it would be overcome. But if not….

"Hi Minho! Did you wait long?" A voice cut through their tension as Sulli came into the lobby.

Minho turned and stood up immediately, admiring her attire. He smiled. "No, not at all."

He took in her beautiful appearance. The leather jacket was worn over her black blouse and it nicely complemented her denim jeans to her black boots. She let her hair down and put on minimal make up. The only accessories that she had were a pair of small earrings and a silver chain around her neck. All in all, she looked simply pretty. He smiled charmingly as he pushed the discussion he had with Mrs. Kim out of his mind and focused on his beautiful date.

"You are just in time." Said Minho before looking at Mrs. Kim. "We will be back late auntie."

"Okay. Take care and have fun." Said Mrs. Kim with a small smile, knowing all well that Minho was completely ignoring the conversation they had earlier. She bade farewell to them, wondering whether they knew that they would chew off more than what they bargained for.

 

- - - -

 

"This is utterly delicious!" Sighed Sulli, fully contented with her meal. "It's been ages ever since I last enjoyed Korean foods. This could be just heaven!"

Minho smiled. "You are eating the real deal. You are in the heaven of the best Korean food around."

Sulli looked around her, admiring the soft lightings and the quiet décor of the restaurant. It was certainly different from the restaurants in Canada. They had a private room for themselves and the whole room was made of wood and paper. The far corner of the room was a small wooden table with a stalk of white carnation.

"My favorite flower." Mumbled Sulli, smiling softly. "I never entered a room that was so plainly decorated before."

Minho smiled. "I think they tried to mirror the idea of the people nowadays that want privacy, comfortable but plainly unique atmosphere." He glanced at the white carnation which was on the wooden table before he turned back to admire Sulli's smiling face looking at them. The flower wasn't placed there by coincidence. It took a few phone calls and a lot of persuasion in order to pull this off. And the satisfied look on her face told him that it was worth it.

Sulli turned to look at him. "I could just stay here longer. But somehow I feel spending Christmas Eve here would be a waste." She smiled apologetically. "Is it fine if I want to see what Seoul's nightlife is all about?"

Minho shook his head. "It's perfectly fine. I didn't plan to stay here for long either. Come then, let me take you a tour around Seoul."

It was apparently an excuse. Sulli didn't want to waste time knowing more about Seoul. Instead, she wanted to find out more about her companion. It was clear to her that she was attracted to Mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter