It all started before Christmas

December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

1

It all started before Christmas

 

 

 

22nd December

 

A lady stepped out of the taxi and into the snow as she looked at the sophisticated lodge in front of her. Her breath formed small clouds of hot air and the tips of her ears and nose were most likely tinged a bothered pink. Her slim body was hidden by the loose brown coat that was wrapped around her black turtle neck and jeans. She politely thanked the taxi driver when he placed her luggage next to her.

As the taxi drove off, she tugged her scarf closer around her neck before taking her luggage and headed towards the entrance of the lodge. As soon as she entered, warmth seeped through her as she glanced around the lobby. She saw a mirror at the corner of the room and she hurried over anxiously to see how messy she was.

She surveyed her fair pale face, her normally neat ponytail was now messed up. She took in a deep breath and untied her hair, letting it fall loosely over her shoulder blade and ran her slim fingers through the thick darkish brown hair before pulling it into a ponytail once again. Satisfied that she looked presentable, she headed to the registration counter, where a young girl watched her in fascination.

"Welcome Miss. Isn't it cold?" Greeted warmly the girl, maybe not more than twenty years of age.

She nodded with a smile. "Yes it is. I'm Choi Sulli. I have a room reservation until 27th of this month."

"Please wait for a moment." Said the girl as she typed her name into the computer behind the desk. Sulli waited patiently until the girl's eyes lit up and smiled at her. "Ms. Choi, welcome to Korea. You can call me Sohyun. Your room number is 10." She then gestured her hand to the lounge room. "And we serve our meals at the dining room that is just behind you. I hope you would have a pleasant stay here."

Sulli smiled at her, a smile that almost everyone constantly said it was beautiful. "Thank you Sohyun."

Sulli took the keys from Sohyun and bent down to take her bag before heading to her room, desperate to retreat into a sanctuary. The room was on the second floor right at the end of the corridor. When Sulli entered the room, she was instantly pleased.

Her mum was right that it was a nice place to relax and do some soul searching.

The room wasn't big but comfortably small enough for Sulli liking. There was a bed against the wall, an armchair on the left with a desk and a chair at the opposite end of the armchair. There was an attached bathroom that had a water heater. It seemed rather plain but it perfectly served her purpose for the trip to Korea.

Sulli took off her scarf and coat, putting them on the bed as she walked toward the window and watched outside. Sulli took a deep breath as she scanned through the white blanket that clothed the scenery. There were trees around that were half covered by snow. It gave her different feeling from Canada but she needed the change. She needed this familiar environment of her birth place, a different society and to be surrounded by different people.

Most of all, Sulli needed to figure out how much changes she had made in her life.

It took her three long years at the age of eleven to get used to have a father and a mother with three other siblings. It took her two years to go out with her boyfriend and accepted his marriage proposal.

Twinge of fresh pain resurfaced as a lone tear trailed down her cheek. Sulli wondered how long it would take to recover from the broken engagement.

 

- - - -

 

It was the dinner time as his stomach started to make a faint growl. He switched off his laptop and decided to make an appearance at the dining room. If not, Mrs. Kim or even Sohyun would start pounding the door and demand him to eat something. He almost smiled at the thought. They treated him as though he was part of their family rather than a guest.

Well, he was actually like a son to this family during the holiday season. He lost his parents at twenty. And one day he stumbled upon this lodge during one Christmas season. Apparently this was his fourth Christmas together with the Kim family.

He just simply wanted to be himself and he was grateful that they were willing to let him come back often. He wanted to celebrate his birthday and Christmas with a family. The Kim was a warm, bubbly family that accepted him without questions. Mrs. Kim was like a sweet mother he couldn't ask for more and Sohyun became a sister that he never had.

He changed into a light blue sweatshirt tugging in a pair of jeans before he left his room. He smiled when the smell of Mrs. Kim's delicious aromatic food greeted him as he walked around the corridor.

When he stepped into the dining room, he glanced around, recognizing some new faces among the crowd of guests, one of which was sitting together with Sohyun with her back facing him, listening attentively to whatever the younger girl was saying. He chuckled softly, watching Sohyun talking animatedly while the lady who was dressed in white blouse and jeans nodding once in a while.

Just then Sohyun saw him, her smile brightened as she waved at him. "Oppa!"

A smile emerged on his face as he waved back and walked towards them. When he reached their table, he studied the lady as she rose and bowed.

"Hi I am Choi Sulli. Nice to meet you."

For a few seconds there he was completely awestruck by her beauty but at last he managed to respond with the same slight bow, "Choi Minho. It is nice to meet you too."

"He comes here every occasion and Christmas. He is becoming a part of the family already. And about earlier of the start of December, we just threw him a surprise birthday." Sohyun rattled on as Minho took a seat next to her, allowing him to study Sulli across the table throughout the evening. "However, oppa seriously needs to socialize with the guests more often. Right oppa?" Sohyun turned to smile knowingly at Minho.

This was probably third time already that this little girl was trying to pair him up with a girl. But for some reason Minho thought that this time it would be interesting. After all there was something about Choi Sulli that intrigued him.

"I have a company of such a pretty girl like you. I couldn't bear leaving your side." Minho turned to tease Sohyun.

Sohyun blushed as she playfully punched him on his arm. "Shut up."

Minho smirked before catching something like surprise sparkled in Sulli's eyes. He immediately straightened. "Oh no, we are just joking around." Explained Minho to Sulli, not sure whether it was needed.

Sulli smiled at him. "It's okay. I get this sort of teasing from my brothers too at times."

Minho smiled back, grateful for the conversational starter that Sulli gave. "So how many members are there in your family?"

"My family consists of my parents, three older brothers and me." Answered Sulli.

"I see. So you have such a big family. I believe, an entire house would be packed of fun." Said Minho. He watched Sulli in fascination as she chewed on her lips. Her eyes spoke a thousand words as her joy turned into consideration. It seemed like she needed to figure out what to respond him. It was somehow a joy to watch her facial expression.

"Actually I'm adopted. I'm really grateful to become a member of my current family now." Replied Sulli quietly. She looked at Minho. "And how about your family?"

Minho's heart ached for a moment as he struggled to keep his voice calm. "I am the only child. My parents died when I was twenty. It was a sudden tragedy five years ago." He turned to look outside the window, not wanting to see pity in Sulli's eyes.

"I lost my biological mother when I was eleven and I never get a chance to know my father. I am sorry for your lost. It must be hard." Said Sulli.

Minho nodded. "Yes, it was unbearable." He didn't notice Sohyun already left the table leaving him alone with Sulli. And silence lapsed between the both of them, thinking back of their personal losses. Minho smiled softly at her. "So what brought you to here?"

Sulli pursed her lips, hesitated before speaking, "I need a break. How about you?"

"I'm here to spend Christmas with them. You heard Sohyun said right, they surprised me an unforgettable birthday two weeks ago. So basically it's my third week already that I'm here." Answered Minho as he smiled. "They are like my second family."

A soft smile emerged on Sulli's face. "I see. I know it's kinda late but happy belated birthday."

Minho smiled. "I really appreciate it. Thank you."

Sulli glanced around the dining hall and was about to speak again when she saw through the window of snow drifting down. "It's snowing." She said softly as she shifted her focus from the handsome man in front of her to outside the window.

She was beautiful. Minho thought as he watched Sulli gazing out of the window watching the snowfall. After a while he asked, "You aren't from Korea."

Sulli shook her head. "I'm Korean but I'm from Canada." She said before looking at him and saw the warm smile that Minho offered her. He was charming. Too charming to be a typical Korean. "Are you mixed blood?"

Minho let out a soft laugh. "No. I am 100% Korean."

Sulli blushed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter