Downtown

Speaking Silences

A small note for you guys- This chapter is not in first person and in Jongin's POV, as my hand was itching to write as him. Enjoy reading it^^ Not proofread as usual but another chapter will be up today (I hope). 


 

“Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door.”

 

The finely furnished apartment spoke of warmth and familial feelings. Walls were plastered in soft yellow giving a delusional feeling of an even bigger area despite being a one bhk cheap rental flat originally.

Jongin knew how to make a place his home.

 A fine example would be his dorm at the university that he had abandoned the next day of Sehun’s departure- the place held no importance now when the sole reason of his transferring to a dorm room from a perfectly bought apartment in the penultimate semester was gone. Away from him- unwillingly but far away from where he could reach.

The dingy dorm was so dipped in the presence of Sehun that Jongin was scared of going crazy by spending even a single moment there. The room smelt like Sehun’s regular cologne, the distinct happy pictures of them together pasted on the chartpaper on the front wall mocked him, the small attached washroom still had his facial products- every nook and corner of the room shouted his name making Jongin miss him more and more.

It was like god was taking a test- detaching him from every place he felt like home.  It was a regular thing and he should have grown accustomed to the feeling but it was painful nevertheless.  He could still talk to Sehun and text him but the frequency would be less and knowing Sehun’s Dad he wasn’t sure when he would be able to see him in flesh next.

Even packing had become a hefty task, highly hindered by the uncontrollable sobs and blurred eyes. Jongin would be forever thankful of the next door nerd Kyungsoo who offered to help without a word, without asking any curious questions. Jessica had come too, for a brief moment yes but she was there- Jongin’s emotional pillar. A simple hand of hers on his shoulder was enough for him to break his sobbing state to seep into a mass of full fledged tears. He knew he was dependent on her. Jessica was strong headed and icy but had a heart of gold. And most importantly, even with just 8 months of acquaintance, she knew how much Jongin loved Sehun- Just how important Sehun was for the former.

“Shhh.....It’s okay Jongin. Everything will be fine.” She had enveloped Jongin in her long arms bringing the big boy’s head near to chest, letting him cry his heart out while rubbing soothing circles at his back.

Jongin had texted Sehun- multiple times but without any hopes of a reply. He had exempted from going emotional on his juncture, sticking on sending trivial things and random monologue- anything to just to keep his best friend close to him. Sehun would read, he was sure.


 

The downtown Seoul evening was clear and beautiful and Jongin was proud to buy an apartment that was away from the hustle bustle of the main city. In his current mental state, the stupid chattering and loud laughs would have been nothing but a nuisance. He had unpacked most of his boxes leaving a medium sized carton at the utmost corner-untouched. The second floor apartment had a small balcony attached with the bedroom and Jongin had been standing out in the cold night with just a limp shirt and low rise denims. Fingers holding a lit stick that he had promised to not to touch ever again but he was in dire need to forget everything- to numb the overwhelming pain. To erase the memories of his 14th birthday. He needed Sehun to ease him out of this pain again.

Jongin missed Sehun- missed his care and love- missed his mere existence that wiped out all the sadness.

To- Sehunnie

08:07 PM

You are above everyone for me Sehunnie. I will never give up on you or on our friendship. We will find a solution together okay. You are never alone, I’m there for you. Always.

 

His stern gaze on the nothingness was broken by the shrill sound of the buzzer that shouted of a presence at his doorstep. Reluctantly he slid to the front door to witness a cheeky Jessica holding a big fat brown bag in one hand and a crate of beers in other. Her eye smile soon turned into a noticeable frown upon witnessing the cigarette stick in Jongin’s hands.

 

“How many did you smoke?” Jessica narrowed her eyes, raising an eyebrow and her face made Jongin chuckle.

 

“Comeon, Jess. It was just the first....well, it’s late. What are you doing here?”

 

“Uhhh....Is this the way to talk to the person who brought you dinner?...And don’t lie, I know you have not eaten anything” She hissed  abruptly cutting Jongin who had an answer ready. “Atleast open the door, the stuff here is quite heavy and I’m no wonder woman contrary to popular beliefs.”

 

Jongin could not help but break into an uncontrollable laughter at her sharp tongue reply. Ah! This girl was just amazing!

 

Another frown and hiss made him open the front door open wide for his otherworldly girlfriend, soon stooping into the guise of a gentleman and taking those apparel heavy things off her feminine hold. And she wasn’t joking, the boxes were quite heavy.

 

The brown head fashionista moved into the living room with grace, making herself comfortable on the small leather couch in front of the small television set while Jongin made way to the open kitchen area to place the materials on the four seater dining table.

 

“You bought a crate of beer? Want to make me drunk and have your way with me?” Jongin snickered.

 

“Why? Are you scared of my dripping gorgeousness and the power of seduction?” Jessica spoke with pride, wiggling her eyebrows. “ Sickly no. I’m sparing you from all that stress this time. The crate is my housewarming present to you, just to stock your empty fridge.”

 

“Well, I won’t mind your techniques darling.” The muscular guy answered, hands juggling with bowls and plates and the boxes of take out and not to forget two cans of beer. Trust Jessica to bring food and she will bring the whole restaurant for you but that one of her best qualities, Jongin’s stomach  growled with the mere thought.

 

They had the variations of chicken amidst of small irrelevant talks- well, Jongin had most of the food with Jessica nibbling on pieces. But chicken was Jongin’s favourite and he couldnot help but eat like a slob.

 

“Jongin”. Jessica was rolling the cold can of beer in her hands while looking at him square in the eyes, uncertainty b in her chocolate orbs.

 

Jongin acknowledged her with a soft hum already knowing what that gaze meant.

 

“You are okay, right?” Jongin hummed again, eyes leaving the brunette’s and moving to focus on the interesting can located at the centre table.

 

He heard a soft sigh and soon Jessica shifted on his seat, slender hands reaching out to the folded ones, showcasing the deep contrast of the tan and pale. Her pretty thumb wiped Jongin’s back of hand as a soothing gesture and she dropped her head on the boy’s broad shoulder.  They stayed like this for a long time, unaware of the ticking of clock and everything surrounding them. Basking in each other’s warmth.

 

Smiling to see soft snores of the girl that he had on his shoulder, Jongin moved swiftly trying to not wake her in the process of taking her to the bedroom. He slid under the soft covers after softly dropping Jessica’s slender body on the left side of the 7 by 7 bed, mind weaving different scenarios of the past together- some good, some bad, some beautiful and some that sent goosebumps on his body. Desperate to get rid of the images that had struck his brain; he clung to Jessica’s warm form alongside him, enveloping her and bringing her head close to his chest.

 

He missed a soft smile and slight pink color that crept up the girls’s face.  


 

Soft sunrays that fell on his tan face broke Jongin from his deep slumber, making him all aware of his numb right arm. Chuckling, he shook the lithe body beside him.

 

“Oi, sleepyhead. Get up, you idiot. You have become so heavy. God! My arm.” Jongin whined.

 

Jessica moved lazily, whining and grunting, not ready to be out from her dream world. Not seeing a way, he flicked her forehead, hard, enjoying the series of curses in English that left the slender girl’s mouth followed by the slow opening of her eyes.

 

“.........................Jerk”

 

“Stop, stop babe! Woah your dirty mouth works best while in bed, I see.” Jongin joked, shutting his eyes as a silent laughter left his mouth. Jessica’s frown went deeper than ever and she started hitting his arm hard and fast while cursing him aloud.

 

“I wasn’t joking when I called you wonder woman. Man you hit hard..........ouch! Ouch! Jessica, Jess baby....ouch!”

 

“Call me that again and I will hit you so hard at a place that your family line would go extinct.”

 

“Jess......ah! Okay okay.....Jessica, Sorry”

 

Jongin gripped her strong hands, holding her still and dropped a full kiss on her thin lips, making her freeze at his sudden action. And then he started laughing loud.

 

“You still freeze over my kiss? This is outrageous.” He teased.

 

“Well, that was unexpected.” Jessica replied shyly eliciting an amused expression on Jongin’s face and soon she found the big guy hovering over her, their breath mixing. No time was wasted as thick lips covered thin ones savouring the sweet taste, gliding sensuously, lapping and nibbling. Tongue action was involved very soon.

 

Unknown to other, one kissed with full feelings, other out of lust and habit.

 

After what felt like hours, the two university students broke apart with no other necessity than air. Foreheads touching. An honest smile snuck up Jongin’s face, admiring the pretty face in front of his eyes.

 

“Jessica, I am so glad to have you.” He admitted softly noticing a flicker of something that was shown in the girl’s orbs. “I am so glad that you understand me,” he continued, “None of the girls would ever understand that I don’t want to fall in love, I cannot fall in love. But you can, I am so happy to have a friend like you.”

 

And an injured heart broke again.

 

Jongin felt the lithe body hug him tight and he smiled. He really admired Jessica. This California girl never uttered a word about his situation, his insecurities, giving him everything he wanted. Selfless. She was different from the usual clingy girls and that’s what had attracted him in the first place. Jessica never wanted stupid dates, caresses or 24 hours of attention rather she gave him his much needed space, brought him snacks, drank and cursed like a pro and even though she was a fashionista, she was not at all like a high maintenance . Kisses with her were great and so was . She was truly amazing.

 

The warmth enveloping him was suddenly gone as Jessica detached herself from his chest and moved hastily to get off from the soft bed.

 

“I’m going to the restroom.” She excused herself while whispering softly voice was hoarse with morning cold while moving towards the attached washroom.

 

As she shut the door, Jongin sat up in his bed, slowly resting his back on the headrest and to kill the time he pluck his phone out of the charging slot.

 

A small message icon flashed on his lock screen, making the wallpaper of Seoul tower go into nothingness bringing the messages app in front. He smiled.

 

From- Sehunnie

04:16 AM

I know Ninnie! I m fine here. Don’t worry okay. I will never give up on us too. Fighting!^^

Take care. Love you too.

 

He does not remember for how long he was gazing at the new message as unknown tears grazed his tanned face. Jessica was back in the room, looking at him worryingly.

 

“I miss him Jessica. I don’t know how he is going to stay there. He does not like that place Jess. I am worried. What if his dad hurt him? He will never tell me. What if.........” He knew he was blabbering but he was genuinely worried about the younger. Sehun’s dad were uncontrollable when angry and Sehun had been enough rebellious. He won’t be able to save Sehun from the hits this time. He was very much far.

 

Jessica shushed him again embracing him and saying sweet nothings into Jongin’s ears.


 

After half an hour of calming down, Jessica spoke in her soft tune, “Jongin, you remember about the

Inter-university competition?” successfully distracting him from the worry.

 

“Yeah, what about that?”  He answered.

 

“I’m participating in the Declamation competition happening at Kyunghee Academy tomorrow.  Will you come with me?” Jessicca said hesitantly.

 

“You will win that competition anyway, nobody can beat you in constant babbling. Why do I need to come?” he said half-heartly, annoying the other.

 

“Kim Jongin, you better..........” She was highly annoyed, Jongin could sense and he did what he could do the best to shut the girl up.

 

 

What bad will happen anyway at Kyunghee? It’s not that he will get killed there (not going will do that –definitely killed by Wonder woman’s constant nagging and hard hits, it’s a wonder how a 43 kg girl can hit like a pro boxer). It’s not that he will see the girl of his dreams.

 

It’s not that he will fall in love at Kyunghee Academy.


 

AN: Happy New Year to alll:* I hope this year holds nothing but the best for you all.

As an apology for a monthlong break I will be doing a double update for all my lovely readers. 

Change of writing style is noticable right, but I didnot want to write in first person for Jongin to reserve that style for Sehun. Many future events are poacked in this single update and I hope you guys are curious too.

What happened at Jongin's 14th birthday? 

Sehun's rebellious phase and many many more things. 

Do tell me about your expectations and demands as well as your feels about the chapter. 

Happy holidays:*