Bubble Tea

Speaking Silences

AN: Yayye...Happie birthday to Jonginnie.....So my bubble tea wishes to the boy.

And a gift of light hearted chap to the readers. Reason? Well, no reason. 


 

“When you walk to the edge of all the light you have and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown, you must believe that one of the two things will happen. There will something solid for you to stand upon or you will be taught to fly.”

 

 

Hands of the new-looking clock on the head of white board were moving painfully slow in all contrast with the jabbering professor who looked determined enough to wrap all his course in the lecture hour provided. Half of the things that Sehun’s brain was able to catch were either buzzed out due of lack of recognition or made to slip to his sub conscious. Keeping concentration intact was becoming a hefty task for him.

He was no new-bee to Basic Contracts and Civil Procedures that was a 4 credit compulsory subject in the first two semesters of Law Studies, being through with one and a half semester at Seoul University. But even the change of cities and professors could not make the lecture exciting.

He yawned softly, covering his mouth with the left palm, as right tried copying the alphanumerics and data scribbled on the board. The task was getting heavier with his glazed eyes and current seat allocation at the very back of the hall.

“.....including capacity to contract, contract formation..............Constitutional issues relating to jurisdiction.......” Professor Hwang continued in his high voice, determined to make himself audible even to the last benchers while he spoke from the podium. His eyes fixed to the laptop placed there and hands were moving animatedly.

“His hand gestures could rival even Siwon’s, right?” An amused voice made Sehun turn his head wearily. It wasn’t so difficult spotting the source as he noted a face looking at him intently, unfazed of the blaring echo and Sehun’s annoyed expression. Sehun wasn’t surprised at the ordeal, it had been happening since day one at Daegu, from school to park to everywhere-  childhood till now. But this didn’t mean that Sehun liked them -the constant stares that were awarded to him every time. It was practically very irritating.

Sehun’s entry into Keimyung University was.......different. Unlike Seoul National University, it was as if every soul in the place knew him, every pair of eyes was looking at him thoroughly. Some amusingly, some admiringly, some just like that just like when in Middle School and High School. But here everyone wanted to talk to him, approaching him in any way they could. It was creeping Sehun out, he wasn’t that very social from the beginning, leaving that task to Jongin. The elder had saved him from any unwanted attention throughout his pre-teen and teen years.

In Seoul nobody knew him as Prosecutor Oh’s son, no burdensome family name to carry, no expectations, nothing. He was just Sehun there, a cold and distant student with bad grades that was partially popular amongst student body for being best friends with Jongin and Jessica.

 

“Siwon....From Super Junior? .... y, free and Single? ....Sorry, Sorry? ” The person spoke again slowly, taking out every word as if talking to a kindergartener.

“I know Super Junior” Sehun snapped harshly, totally irritated by the meaningless talk the other person was trying to make. “And I know Choi Siwon.”

The body that was placed just adjacent to him shuffled with discomfort, face scrunched, but as Sehun started rotating his neck back to front, the person laughed. Soundlessly but hard. Body shaking with rigorous jerks.

This was new, nobody had laughed at him at his face. Ever. It was now Sehun’s turn to look at that person intently, surprise written all over his pale face.

The person was trying best to calm down, face red and cheeks puffed, fist placed tightly on the mouth to stop letting the voice out and was able to succeed only after few minutes.

“OMG! Sorry...I couldn’t control....Sorry.”

Sehun quirked an eyebrow demanding reasons for the sudden laughing spurt from the latter.

“It’s just...I thought you didn’t listen to idol groups...you know...You seem very..” Deep brown eyes checked whatever was visible of him, desk thankfully saving his lower half... “Regal.”

The title amused Sehun. He knew the reason behind this grand assumption. Earlier this morning he had reluctantly gotten himself into a pair of slacks and white dress shirt with polished shoes, all under his Dad’s command. He surely wasn’t fitting into the crowd of casually dressed college-goers.

“Oh, and according to you ‘Regals’ don’t watch Pop songs. Am I right?” Sehun replied cautiously, lips turned into a smirk.

The figure besides blushed at the tone, totally embarrassed. “Oh..no, no, no, no...I didn’t mean like that.” Hands waving in front of Sehun, head doing the synchronised shake.

“Just shut up for once, Luhan.” Another voice interrupted the monologue, this time coming from Sehun’s right side. There a bunny looking boy sat, glasses perched high on his nose, hands moving in sync with the speed of marker on board.

“Ignore that idiot there.” Bunny boy said, eyes still fixed on his sheets, eliciting a pout from the person referred to as Luhan.

Sehun wasn’t sure what to call Luhan; that guy was too beautiful to be boy yet his voice was too deep to be feminine. A walking contrast. “He is Chinese. Got his transferred here just because of his love for KPop.” The boy with chubby cheeks snorted after getting a passive Hey from the Chinese beauty.

“I would have never guessed...His Hangul is....too perfect.” Sehun replied with interest, lecture long forgotten.

“Blame all those variety shows and Music Videos he had been hogging since he was what? Thirteen?”

“I was twelve then.” Luhan protested.

“Oh right. My fault. Now he is so perfect in Hangul that he has difficulty in speaking mandarin.”

“Bi zui Minseok! Tingzhi rang wo hen ganga.”

Sehun felt a chuckle leave his mouth involuntarily. The playful banter between his classmates was definitely fun to watch, especially when a boring lecture was going on. Luhan and bunny boy ‘Minseok’ were throwing insults at each other in all sorts of language- some even Sehun couldn’t decipher. The whole situation came into a halt with the buzzing of bell only to convert into a physical game after the professor retreated to his resting room.

Luhan was short, but Minseok was even shorter. They looked like elementary kids hitting arms playfully and threatening each other with no food.

Apparently, Minseok was a bun lover and Luhan loved bubble tea. A small smile grazed Sehun’s lips as he felt glimpses of his days of loving bubble tea flash through his mind.

 

Eleven year old Sehun walked hand in hand with Jongin who turned twelve today, dragging their feet to mark way into the low snow from the Van to the park bench that they had planned to take refuse into. Both of them were dressed profusely, with Eskimo jackets and mittens and held their respective drinks in their free hand.

“Why did you buy me tea Hunnie?” The elder of the two looked at his direction, eyes all huge with gleaming curiosity.

“It’s your birthday...that’s why.” Sehun shrugged lips going back to take a big slurp from the container.

“But, you shouldn’t have. I’m the bigger one, remember and elder one too.” Jongin huffed in pride.

Sehun looked up from his tea, orbs fixed on the latter’s as he spoke in a low voice.

“I wanted to share what I love the most with you Ninnie. You my bestest friend in the world.... And ..and....bubble tea was the only thing I could buy from my pocket money.” His last sentence coming out in a whisper.

Jongin glanced at him for a second before laughing out loud. He hugged Sehun tight balancing their bubble tea containers and hit Sehun lightly on the back of his head.

“Pabo”

 

Sehun was brought back into the present with a loud commotion in his periphery.He looked up only to see the Chinese transfer student throwing paper balls at bunny boy, laughing at the defensive wails made by the latter. He huffed. Thanking god that it was lunch hour. Who knew college going students could be this childish....No wait, how could he miss out on Kim Jongin. These guys were practically saints when it came to his best friend.

Fishing out his iphone from his messenger bag, he quickly typed a text to his best friend. They hadn’t talked much yesterday, just a single text was sent to him during the whole day. That too in the morning ranting about Jessica dragging him to her Inter-college competition. He had replied with a short text telling him it would be fine and for him to take care.

He busied himself taking in the scene in front him as he clicked away the send button. Currently, Luhan had descended to the lowest steps of the hall, and was showing off his vocal prowess with a nicely done moonwalk. Boy, he could dance. Sehun got up from his seat packing his stuff in his small bag to follow his newly found classmates out to the cafeteria. Being in college saved him the embarrassment of buying his food; he had been doing that since he was a kindergartner anyway. Here it was considerd cool.   

Finding himself a round table at the back of the large cafe, he sat down, placing his tray on the table. Sehun let out a sigh of relief. Lunch line was troublesome with all those lingering glances and murmurs.

He closed his eyes for a second in order to even his breathing pattern only to be interrupted by a familiar voice.

“Heyo! Can we sit here?” Luhan was looking at him expectantly, Minseok behind him looking rather reluctant to disturb Sehun.

“Sorry...for this....This stupid boy here kinda bribed me to come here. He was looking forward to sit with you. I’m sorry if he is troubling you....Luhan, let’s go find another table.” Minseok spoke shyly already dragging a pouting Luhan by his elbow.

“Umm..Wait...It’s fine. You can sit here. It’s empty anyway.” Sehun said awkwardly, hand rubbing back of his head.

“Really?” Luhan’s eyes went a big as a deer’s, instantly hugging the pale boy. Sehun froze.

“Luhan.”

And Sehun was free of the bear hug, all red in face. He has never met such over-friendly people in his life. Even Jongin was better when they first met.

“Aish this boy. You make me feel like I’m babysitting a four year old. Oh no wait, even four year olds are well behaved than you.” Minseok rubbed his forehead as he sat on the plastic chair adjacent to Sehun. “Why did I even listen to Director Kang when he asked me to show you round the college. You have stuck to me like a stubborn stain since then.”

“Don’t compare me with dirty things.”

“Koala?” Sehun hopefully offered only to get smothered by the Chinese again.

“See, see Minnie...He compared me with a cute thing.... He is so cute.” Luhan dared pinching Sehun’s cheeks only to flinch back to his seat owing to sharp glares sent to him from two directions.

“I was just being friendly.” Luhan leaned back in his chair at the right of Sehun, shoulders slumped.

“Over-friendly is the word Luhan. You were being over friendly. Give him a break, he is new to Daegu.”

Sehun stared at the bunny boy, stunned. Minseok didn’t know him?

He didn’t feel the need to correct the boy, he was happy at least these two weren’t aware of the title that followed him like a shadow.

“So Sehun. You have come from Seoul National University right? How was it? I too had applied for it but getting a scholarship there was difficult. That too with our major. I literally have to hog day and night to maintain the scholarship here too. ” Minseok supplied starting a conversation. Sehun was thankful that he didn’t ask questions like why Keimyung University in the middle of semester that he was willing his best to avoid. He looked at Luhan who was busy with his food, muching away loudly, all lost.

“Umm... SNU was....bigger. Professors were the same. Always doing their monologue and giving big-fat notes. No difference really.” Sehun answered, just for the sake of replying what was asked.

“I take down notes, because those copies distributed in the class are like...Normal. I refer to library books too.” Minseok said, swirling his spaghetti with fork, not willing to take a bite. His answer explained his little knowledge about the current topic of gossip in the college. “Luhan eat properly.” Minseok chided the boy in a soft voice, pointing his fork at him.

“Hmmm...So, you are from Daegu?”Sehun asked, little hesitantly. Not knowing why did he even ask from the boy.

“Naah...From Guri basically. It’s a small village in Gyeonggi Province. You?”

“Seoul.” Sehun blurted the first thing that came to his mouth.

“Me from Beijing. Haidian district.” Luhan quipped, shrugging lightly after receiving irritated glances thrown by Minseok. “What? Everybody was telling their hometowns.”

“Oh Jesus. It doesn’t matter. You are from China.” Minseok huffed.

“It’s Shisus Minnie... Forgot the variety I showed you last night?” Luhan replied cutely, patting his friend’s shoulder. Sehun held his urge to just double up in laughter taking in Minseok’s condition. Bunny boy was resting both his elbows on his thighs, holding his head tightly as Luhan sat there patting him lightly.

Sehun was saved from dealing with his silent laughter with the sudden vibration in his right pocket. He took out the device and smiled seeing the goofy picture of Jongin in the incoming call. Excusing himself from the table where the bestfriends were indulged again in a word fight, he went out in the yard. Searching for a location to speak to his friend properly after three days.

Three days were long enough.

 

 


 

Sunggyu was strolling around in his almost empty cafe, taking in places that needed to be renovated. He passed Chanyeol and Baekhyun flirting animatedly at the cashier desk; rather Chanyeol seemed to be flirting with Baekhyun blushing like new found bacon. Sunngyu shook his head, these too were impossible but it was break time and Chanyeol’s hours were already over. So, he could not even chide the pair. Not that he planned to do that in first place. Chanyeol may be was a goofball but was good with orders and Baekhyun was an allround genius. He could not afford to miss out on his best employees.

Of course he missed Sehun, he did. The boy was hard working and dedicated. Sunggyu did not know of his family conditions but he was naturally upset when that Jongin boy came to him apologising for Sehun’s sudden departure. He just hoped that everything was fine with Sehun.

Walking around, his eye fell on the chalkboard besides the counter.

Sentences?

He never noticed someone writing on that board, he had thought of putting it out for staff to scribble in today’s favourite menu and all. But there in blue chalks whole three sentences were written in an impeccable writing. All meaningless. Sunggyu shrugged and walked away.

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.

Apologies for the absence, I won't mind.

Awaiting your welcome, I stop by every day.

 


AN: 

i'm here again :)

Jongin's birthday chap...so just like him cool and light :D

Anyways, not many things happened here, but things are piling up..I hope you noticed.

And and and LUHAN and Xiumin are here *throws confetti*....I made Luhan just like me lol...just my bias aint Shisus...bwahhaha XD.

Hoping to see your feels ^^