Breaking Homeostasis

Friends or More?

"Earth to hyung?"

 
Mark started, breaking out of his trance at the sound of Youngjae's voice.
 
"You've been out of it all day. Is something wrong?" Jaebum asked, feeling a bit concerned for his friend.
 
Mark just cleared his throat, smiling awkwardly as he set his fork down on his plate. "N-no, I'm totally fine. I just...didn't get much sleep last night, that's all."
 
Youngjae and Jaebum threw each other a glance, neither satisfied with the older's response. Before they could ask him any more questions, Mark quickly stood.
 
"I'm finished. I'm gonna go back and maybe take a nap. See you guys later." Mark grabbed his plate and carried it to where the dishes got stacked in the dining hall while the two waved him goodbye reluctantly.
 
Mark shut the door to his dorm, sighing as he leaned his back against it.
 
"What's gotten in to you?"
 
Mark's eyes darted to the source of the voice, startled until he realized it was just his roommate Yugyeom.
 
"You were tossing and turning all night. Did something happen?" The large sophomore asked, sitting up in his bed and ruffling his hair while yawning.
 
"N-no, nothing really happened.." Mark cleared his throat and walked over to his bed, laying down and pulling the comforter up to his shoulders. "You didn't have any trouble sleeping in, I see?"
 
"Hey, it's only 11am. I don't have a class until noon." Yugyeom defended as he stood up to stretch his limbs.
 
"Good for you. I'm gonna take a nap."
 
"You don't have classes, hyung?"
 
"I had one already earlier this morning. My next one isn't until 1pm. I have an hour or so." Mark curled up on his side, closing his eyes.
 
"Whatever you say!" Yugyeom shrugged, heading toward their shared bathroom to shower.
 
Yelling from the hallway roused Mark from his slumber. He groaned, turning on his other side before sighing and sitting up.
 
Who the hell is making so much noise?
 
Mark swung himself over the edge of the bed and stood up on shaky legs. Yawning, the blonde made his way toward the door and peered out, trying to get a peek at who was making all the racket. Apparently some sophomores were getting reprimanded for being caught with a bottle of liquor. Mark rolled his eyes and was about to walk back inside his room when a familiar face caught his attention.
 
"Jackson?"
 
Said male turned his head upon being addressed, shocked to see who the source of the voice was. He turned his gaze back, however, when the head of the dorm accused him of not listening.
 
Mark frowned, returning to his room. Did Jinyoung know Jackson was out drinking with sophomores?
 
Mark's stomach flipped at the thought of Jinyoung. What exactly happened last night? The blonde's heart began racing at the memory.
 
I shouldn't look too much into this. Jinyoung was probably just feeling lonely and neglected by Jackson after their fight, and that's why he kissed me. Well, more like made out with me.
 
Mark was blushing furiously, hiding his face in his hands.
 
"What were you thinking, Park Jinyoung, playing with my feelings like that?"
 
---
 
"Jinyoung and Jackson seemed to have made up." Youngjae judged when Jaebum, Mark and him walked out of the classroom. The other two males looked to where Youngjae was pointing, noticing the familiar couple walking hand in hand down the hallway while smiling brightly at each other.
 
Mark inwardly groaned, though he didn't know if it was from seeing the two together again or from just seeing Jinyoung himself. His inner homeostasis, however, teetered over the edge when Jinyoung turned and locked eyes with him. Mark quickly turned away and started walking, hoping Jaebum and Youngjae would follow behind him, when he heard that familiar voice calling his name.
 
"Mark-hyung!"
 
The blonde froze, turning hesitantly. Jinyoung had let go of Jackson's hand and was jogging to catch up with him.
 
"Can I talk to you?"
 
Mark gulped, nodding.
 
Jinyoung took Mark by the arm, pulling him around the corner. The dark-haired male seemed nervous, but not nearly as nervous as the boy beside him. When they were out of their friend's line of vision, Jinyoung turned to face the older.
 
"A-about last night...," Jinyoung began then paused, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I'm sorry I forced myself on you like that. I wasn't really in my right mind.." He glanced at the floor, embarrassed. "I was just really upset and needed some comfort, but I have no idea why I wanted that type of comfort at the time."
 
Mark was lost for words, so he ended up just fumbling awkwardly with the zipper of his jacket.
 
"I-I really love Jackson, and I feel guilty for kissing you. Can we just forget it happened? I don't want our friendship to be ruined because of this."
 
Mark couldn't help but feel a little disappointed, but he mentally kicked himself at the thought. Of course it was a mistake, what was he expecting Jinyoung would say? "Y-yeah, totally. It's okay, I understand. No hard feelings."
 
Jinyoung smiled at that, holding out his hand for Mark to shake. The blonde complied tentatively, an inevitably fake smile displayed on his face.
 
Right, it was just a mistake. Our relationship won't be any different. 
 
He couldn't have been more wrong.
 
---
 
A/n: Hey everyone!! It's been a while......sorry about that lol. I just wanted to focus on finishing up my other chaptered fic before I updated this one so I wouldn't be too overwhelmed. But I'm gonna try to give this fic my undivided attention now! Thanks for being so patient!