Third Wheel

Friends or More?

"Jackson, stop it!" Jinyoung pleaded, falling back onto the couch in a fit of laughter.

 
Jackson didn't give up, tickling his boyfriend until he was kicked away playfully.
 
Mark watched the scene with a forced smile, soon looking away and fumbled with his phone awkwardly. Youngjae's throaty laugh filled his ears as he sat beside him, and Jaebum soon threw a pillow at Jackson. "Hey, cut it out with the PDA. I think I saw the librarian giving us a dirty look, too."
 
Jackson made a face at JB but stopped anyway, sitting close beside Jinyoung and resting his head on the younger's shoulder. They both looked so happy. In fact, the whole group looked happy.
 
Everyone except Mark.
 
His heart ached looking at Jinyoung and Jackson so in love. Not that he wasn't glad they were happy, he just wished Jinyoung was happy with someone else. And by someone else, he meant him.
 
Mark had been crushing on Jinyoung since they first met back in freshmen year of college. They were juniors now, and they'd been best friends ever since. That is, until Jinyoung started dating "the wild and y" Jackson. Jinyoung didn't think Mark and him had grown apart after he started dating Jackson at all, but Mark would beg to differ. 
 
Why is he dating Jackson anyway? I became friends with Jinyoung first...
 
Jinyoung must have caught Mark frowning at his phone, because he soon spoke up, "Mark-hyung, is everything alright?"
 
Mark jolted a little and looked up from his phone, surprised at being addressed. "Oh, yeah I'm fine." The blonde shot him a reassuring smile despite his blood boiling at how Jackson gazed at Jinyoung.
 
Jinyoung wasn't convinced, but he thankfully dropped the topic when he remembered something else. "Oh by the way, do you wanna hang out tonight Mark-hyung?"
 
Mark's chest grew warm at the idea, but he inwardly groaned when he thought of Jackson most likely being there too. He didn't feel like third wheeling. "No thanks, I'm sure you and Jackson would be better off without me." Mark chuckled awkwardly.
 
"Jackson has to finish up a research paper tonight so he won't be around. I was hoping you'd keep me company?"
 
Oh I see, I'll just be a replacement for your boyfriend for a night.
 
"You know, I have some homework I should probably start on-" Mark began but he was quickly cut off.
 
"Pleeeease Mark-hyuuung~? We haven't hung out in foreeeever." Jinyoung pouted, his lips jutting out in a manner that made Mark's chest warm up again.
 
And who's fault is that? 
 
Regardless, Mark really hadn't hung out with his best friend in a while. Saying that he missed the cute black-haired boy was an understatement. Spending time with Jinyoung would be nice, especially since there wouldn't be a noisy Hong Kong native clinging to his best friend at every possible second.
 
"I guess-"
 
Jinyoung cut him off once again by clapping his hands together loudly. "Yay!"
 
Jinyoung shrunk back into the couch beside Jackson when the librarian sent them an annoyed "Shh!", and Mark couldn't help thinking that the embarrassed blush that covered the boy's cheeks was simply adorable.
 
---
 
Mark showed up outside the door to Jinyoung's dorm room at about 7pm. He texted his friend ahead of time that he was on his way, but received no reply. Hoping Jackson hadn't skipped out on his paper and helped himself to a makeout session with his boyfriend instead, the blonde tentatively knocked on the door, "Jinyoung?"
 
No reply. Mark knocked again, a little louder this time. If he didn't answer again, he must be with Jackson doing god knows what.
 
The blonde heard shuffling inside the room this time, however, and the door opened after a few moments to reveal a sopping wet Jinyoung with a mere towel wrapped around his waist. "Ah, Mark-hyung! Sorry, I just got out of the shower so I didn't get your text. Come on in."
 
Jinyoung opened the door wider so Mark could enter, but the blond was frozen. His cheeks were growing redder by the second and he found himself looking anywhere but the nearly Jinyoung. "O-oh, it's no p-problem." He shuffled through the door shyly, being sure his gaze didn't land on the boy's toned stomach. How could Mark be more embarrassed when Jinyoung was the one barely clothed?
 
"You can wait here, I'll go change really quick. Make yourself at home!" Jinyoung gave him a smile then rushed off to his room.
 
Mark let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding when the door to Jinyoung's room clicked shut.
 
Get ahold of yourself Mark. It's normal for friends to see each other practically .
 
Mark made his way to the couch and sat down. The dorm was a little messy, but far neater compared to his own dorm. Leave it to Jinyoung to be adamant about keeping his semi tidy. The blond shrugged off his jacket and placed it on the coffee table in front of him. He didn't exactly know what Jinyoung had planned for tonight, but he was glad he came nonetheless. He needed time alone with Jinyoung again. It'd been so long since they hung out, just the two of them.
 
Jinyoung joined him a few minutes later, fully dressed this time, and Mark inwardly cursed his friend for looking so good in just a long sleeve shirt and some sweat pants.
 
Jinyoung smiled at Mark and walked over to sit right beside him on the couch. "I'm glad you came! I would have been lonely if you hadn't."
 
Mark nodded in reply, smiling back. "Me too."
 
"I rented some movies I've been dying to see from the movie store just off campus. Do you wanna watch them with me?"
 
"Of course." Mark returned Jinyoung's smile as the boy stood to set up the DVD player.
 
"I'll make some popcorn too. Don't start it until I finish!" Jinyoung grinned as the previews began playing, rushing to the kitchen to find a bag of microwaveable popcorn. Mark pressed the play button when Jinyoung returned with a large bowl of popcorn. 
 
It was some confusing movie that required your utmost attention to understand the plot, but Mark's attention was more focused on Jinyoung's body cuddled up close against his side.
 
"Wait hyung, is he gonna marry his brother's girlfriend, then?"
 
"Uh, I think so?" Mark hadn't really been following the story line. He was, however, feeling way too comfortable cuddled up to his best friend.
 
The movie ended with a cliff-hanger, leaving Jinyoung a frustrated mess. "I can't believe that! They can't just end it like that! We have to watch a comedy now to ease my nerves." Jinyoung announced, standing to switch the DVDs while Mark just laughed at how cute he was being.
 
The next movie was a lot easier to understand, even if Mark was only paying attention 50% of the time. That 50% soon turned to 90%, however, when he felt slightly damp hair on his shoulder. Jinyoung wasn't asleep, but his neck was definitely feeling a little tired from holding his head up for so long.
 
Mark felt his body tense up; the warmth that filled his body from Jinyoung's tiny action was no joke. His hands were sweating, and he found himself contemplating whether or not he should rest his own head atop his as well.
 
Before Mark could come to a decision, however, the sound of a door swinging open filled the room.
 
"Jinyoungie, I finished my paper!"
 
In no time at all, the warmth at Mark's side was gone.
 
"Good job Jackson!" Jinyoung let his boyfriend remove his shoes before embracing him. "We were just watching this really funny comedy. Wanna join us?"
 
"I bet I could make you laugh more than that comedy could, but sure!" Jackson leaned over to kiss his boyfriend's cheek. Jinyoung playfully hit him in response, the skin around his eyes creased from his smile.
 
Mark stomach churned uncomfortably; maybe he really shouldn't have come.
 
"Actually, it's pretty late already. I should get back to my dorm and finish some homework. You two can watch, though." Mark stood awkwardly, reaching for his jacket on the coffee table.
 
"Wait, you're leaving hyung?" Jinyoung frowned.
 
"Y-yeah, sorry. I had fun though." Mark gave his friend a warm smile, but Jinyoung could sense a sort of sadness behind the expression.
 
"Oh, okay. I had fun too. Goodnight hyung." Jinyoung returned his smile and waved as Mark made his way to the door.
 
"Goodnight.."
 
---
 
A/n: heyy I came up with this story idea this morning. To be honest, I was frustrated by the abundance of Jinson going on lately, so I came up with a little scenario in my head to reassure my markjin-trash self. Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! And don't worry, there will definitely be more markjin in upcoming chapters.