nayeon x jeongyeon - too late

Twice ONE SHOTS

jeongyeon x nayeon – too late

 

**

 

Here I am looking at all these unfamiliar faces hoping that somehow I could see a glimpse of her. I should be happy and excited that after all these years I am finally back here but why am I feeling empty.

 

"Nayeon-ah!" Jihyo my bestfriend called me breaking me off my trance. She didn't change a bit since the last time I saw her. Still the ever bubbly Park Jihyo.

"Jihyo! I missed you!" I enveloped her in a hug "Oh my god it's been so long!"

"10 years surely is long Nayeon!" she laughed patting me in the back "I'm so happy you're finally back!" I smiled a little.

“Me too.”

 

--

 

I arrived at my old apartment and I suddenly felt nostalgic. It's the same even when I left it for a long time.

 

"Nayeon ah! I'll be going now! Have a rest and we'll catch up tomorrow okay?"

"Thanks Jihyo!" I hugged her one last time before she went out of the door.

 

I immediately went to my room and saw an old frame lying down beside my bed. I picked it up and a smile crept on my face. This was our last photo before I left her. Although she knew that I'll be away she was still smiling brightly for the photo.

 

We were so happy back then.

But I have to leave.

For I have my dreams.

She was very supportive of me but I was such a fool.

I was afraid that if I let that opportunity pass it'll never come again.

 

I am sorry Jeongyeon I was selfish.

 

//

 

 

10 years before

 

"Jungie?" I called softly while I played with her hands. We were sitting in the balcony of my apartment watching the stars and the moon shine in the sky. Jeongyeon always had a thing for the moon and the stars.

"Hmmp?" She looked down on me and smiled. "Waeyo?"

 

I stared at her face then caressed it softly. She was so pretty and her eyes are so captivating. I could watch her all day and never get tired.

 

"I love you." I mumbled hugging her closer to me. "I love you Jeongyeon."

"I love you even more baby." She answered then patted me softly in the back.

 

"Jungie? Remember what I told you about the application I sent for NYU?" I started

"Oh yes of course! Oh my god baby! Did you get in?" She excitedly asked. I simply nodded. I can clearly remember the proud look on her face when I spilled the news to her.

 

"Congratulations baby!" She kissed me on the forehead before pulling me in for a hug "I'm so proud of you!"

 

--

 

"I love you Nayeon please always remember that okay? I will wait for you." She said while trying her best not to cry.

 

I thought she won't allow me but Jeongyeon was very supportive. I told her it'll be 4  years and she said that she'll wait.

 

--

 

We did try our best for our relationship. 4 years passed by just like that but as if fate wasn't really on our side. I got promoted to a case and I couldn't let that opportunity pass.

 

"Jeongyeon I have something to tell you."

"What is it? Are you coming back already?" Jeongyeon was excited. It felt like I'm gonna break her heart with my news.

"About that.." It was silent for a while because I don't know how to say it to her "I.."

"You're not coming back are you?" Her voice lack the emotions

"Jungie I'm really sorry! I.. I just can't say no..-"

"Nayeon."

"Jeongyeon I.. I'm really sorry! I love you!"

"It's okay I understand." I heard her sigh on the other line of course she’s disappointed but it was my dream. My dream of becoming the best lawyer just like my father. “Ju..just do your best Nayeon.. I.. I’ll support you no matter what.”

"I love you so much Jeongyeon! Thank you for understanding me!"

 

We still tried but the long distance and different time zone affected our relationship. I began to be busier while she started working too. The more time goes by the lesser we talk. I still love her but I know I have to do what's right. I need to set her free.

 

--

 

"I'm sorry Jeongyeon but our relationship is not working out anymore." I tried my best to not burst into tears

"Nayeon? What are you saying? We can still fix things out! You're coming home in a month right? We-"

"I am not." I said firmly "I am the head officer now here in New York they need me Jeongyeon."

"What?!"

"I accepted their offer of staying here."

"You decided without telling me?!!!" She shouted. The tears are already falling out of my eyes. "You told me 4 years Nayeon! 4 freaking years and you'll be ing back here but you didn't! I still waited! It's been what? 6 years already and now you are telling me that you won't be ing back for good!!!! What am I to you!?"

"Jeongyeon this... this is my dream." I bursted out "You...know how I badly wanted to be a great lawyer." I heard her sniffing on the phone. I was also a crying mess that time. “I…I want this.. I.. please.. I don’t want to hurt you anymore.”

"I.. I am sorry." The line went silent only the sounds of our crying were heard until she spoke again "If that's what you really want then I'll let you go."

"Jeongyeon..I’m really sorry."

"No..it’s your dream Nayeon.. I don’t want to stand in your way.. I don’t want you to regret.. and I wouldn’t make you choose."

"Jeongyeon!"

"It's goodbye now."

"I... I lo..-"

 

And before I could finish that sentence the line already went dead. I accepted that if we really are destined for each other then love will find a way back.

 

//

 

10 years later and I'm now one of the successful lawyers in the country. I am happy of what I achieved but I feel empty.

 

--

 

I am now looking at my phone contemplating whether I should push the call button or not. It’s been 10 years already.

 

I wonder how are you doing now Jeongyeon?

 

Are you happy? Are you mad at me?

 

I felt my heart beat faster when I heard the line ringing.

 

"Hello?" Oh how much I miss listening to that voice. "Uh hello!?" I don't know what to say and it's as if my tongue has been cut. I bit my lip to stop my tears from falling.

"Heh? Who's this?" I was about to say something when another voice filled the silence.

"Jujungie who is that?"

"I don't know baby maybe some prank caller or something."

"Can you help me up with the cooking jagi?"

"Hehehe of course." I felt that my heart has been stabbed a million times. I keep myself from bursting to tears.

"Hello? Ah must be one of those kids pranking."

 

toot toot toot

 

My phone dropped on the floor as my tears started falling freely.

She already found someone else? She didn't wait for me?

I am already late.

 

--

 

Jihyo visited me the next day and was surprised when she saw me crying like a wreck. I told her that I called Jeongyeon my heart broke and my tears burst out when she explained.

 

"I'm sorry Nayeon but Jeongyeon is engaged. I thought you knew but it's been 3 years already." she hugged me tightly "I'm sorry Nayeon."

 

--

 

I laid on my bed all day and cried my heart out. Jihyo had told me that Jeongyeon found a girl when she was in Japan and her name is Momo.

 

I can't stop thinking about her.

 

Is she pretty?

Does Jeongyeon love her that much?

Why didn’t she wait for me? Am I too selfish to think that Jeonyeon will wait for me until now?

 

I'm regretting what I did. I prioritized my dreams and neglected Jeongyeon and now I am too late. She already found someone who loves her. Maybe more than I love her.

 

I am sorry Jeongyeon.

I was a fool.

I did hurt you.

 

--

 

I went to her apartment and like a hard slap on my face I did saw her. It's as if she didn't change a bit. I can feel the tears already running out of my eyes. I manned up and started walking towards her. She looked at my direction and surprise was etched on her face. I smiled a little when I got closer to her.

 

"Nayeon?" She called "Is that really you?" I wanted to hug her so badly but I stopped myself.

"Yes it's me Jeongyeon."

"Wow it's been so long!" She was smiling brightly at me

 

"Jujungie?" A voice called her making both of us turn our heads back.

 

I felt my chest tighten when I saw the girl. She was just like what Jihyo described.

Blonde , beautiful and has that beautiful smile.

 

"Momo yah this is Nayeon!" she looked at me and smiled

"Hi!"

"Hello."

 

Jeongyeon pulled her closer before smiling. She is really happy with her.

 

"Nayeon this is my fiancé Momo. Jagi this is my friend Nayeon." I held all my tears back as I shake Momo's hand and noticed the ring on her finger.

 

I was too late.

 

**