Unlocked

Black Swan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  CHAPTER 2   unlocked  


Shin Hye had now grown familiar with Han Groo's lively behavior early in the morning. Within a week, Han Groo had proven herself to be of great help in the household chores. In fact, Han Groo became the official chef in the apartment. She could make even a simple ramen into a new satisfying dish by adding her own flavor. And to top it off, having Han Groo around assured Shin Hye that Ji Won was in a good condition. She could now stop worrying whether her sister had arrived safely in the university or if Ji Won had eaten her lunch already.

 

"Ji Won! Han Groo! I'll go ahead already. Be sure to lock the unit before leaving okay?" Shin Hye instructed the duo before finally stepping out of the apartment. Elite University was a bit far away from their place so Shin Hye had to leave the house before the rush hour started. She really hated showing up to school late. Even though President Yoo Sun wasn’t strict with her, she didn’t want to take advantage of her relationship with the Ahn family. She wanted to be treated like her other co-teachers. She wanted to prove that she deserved her job because she worked hard for it, and not just because she had close ties with the president.

 

"Yeah sure. Don't worry about us. We're grownups now." Ji Won who was finishing the newly cooked pancakes, quickly responded to her sister's concerns to which Shin Hye just shook her head and smiled. Grownups? More like kids trapped in adult bodies, Shin Hye thought and slowly closed the door.

 

For a while, Ji Won took her sweet time drinking her favorite apple and watermelon juice mix while she waited for Han Groo to finish dressing up. After a few minutes, the two stepped out of the unit. Han Groo then closed the door and checked the lock twice before she dashed down the corridor in attempts of catching up with the quick pace of Ji Won.

The morning passed by in a blur and Ji Won found herself drowned in a sea of calculations and French words during her break time. She groaned and buried her head in the pile of hardbound books she borrowed from the library, wishing that the context of each would register her brain. She could easily memorize everything cover to cover, an uncanny ability she had discovered ever since she was a child but she was too tired to even scan the first few pages, let alone a whole book. Staying up until the wee hours of the morning just to finish a 50 slides presentation in World Literature made her body crave for more dosages of caffeine. Ji Won regretted her choice of choosing juice over coffee during breakfast because as of that very moment, she really needed something to keep her from dozing off in class. Why do institutions even include minor subject to the curriculum anyway? Minor subjects clearly added stress to students like her.

 

“I don't think what you are doing right now will give you a boost in the exam for Advance Calculus later." There was a shift of movement as the owner of the voice settled next to Ji Won.

 

“Well I don’t think you invading my favorite hangout place would give you a boost either. Besides, you never surpassed any of my grades anyways,” Ji Won snapped back without lifting her head. She could clearly recognize who was the owner of the voice and hearing him immediately annoyed her.

 

“Oh Miss Smarty Pants, you must have forgotten that I had a higher final grade in Physics during our last year in high school,” the newcomer bragged and Ji Won could picture out the growing smirk that was plastered to his face.

 

“And you must have forgotten Mr. Kim Woo Bin that you were only higher by one point because I was late and missed a twenty item quiz.” This time Ji Won lifted her head and stuck out her tongue to Woo Bin who in return made a face. The two had formed a love- hate relationship during their high school years which then blossomed into something much deeper. But everything didn’t go well. As what Ji Won had pondered upon, ‘Perfect love in a wrong time.’

 

“You’ll never let me win an argument, will you?” Woo Bin chuckled and handed a can of iced cappuccino to Ji Won. “Your friend told me that you needed it considering that you were up all night finishing your group report. Seriously Ji Won, you’re still human and humans need rest.”

 

“I have to finish it alone because Han Groo slept halfway through our search. I don’t want to wake her up since she’s not feeling well again. Besides, I can manage the report well,” Ji Won defended, a clear look of determination could be seen in her eyes. “Oh and by the way, humans also have certain responsibilities and obligations they need to fulfill. Just because a certain circumstance adds pressure to your responsibilities, it doesn’t mean you should just give up and run away from it,” she added, her tone a bit colder, hinting that there was much more meaning behind her words.

 

Woo Bin knew she was still somehow bitter toward him. He wanted to speak out and explain but he knew that she wouldn’t listen anyway. She had already built a tall wall between them and it was even a miracle that she was on speaking terms with him again. In the end, Woo Bin could just release a sigh. “I know you are capable of doing it on your own but if you continue sacrificing your own comfort, you too will get sick.” Woo Bin’s tone was laced with concern and worry.

 

To Woo Bin’s surprise, Ji Won didn’t comment.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter