Midnight Visitor

Black Swan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  CHAPTER 1 midnight  visitor      

The raindrops continued their rhythmic beat as they fell and hit the window. It had been a habit of Ji Won's to watch every time the heaven poured out those precious drops. Contrary to others’ preferences, she found the cold weather quite a comfort because it was the perfect time to snuggle in the window seat in just her pajamas, drink some hot choco and finish a good book. And speaking of good books, she was currently immersed in the poetic exchange of words between the characters of the story. This was her third time of reading it but the feels were still there. She could feel her breath shorten as the man said his parting words. It was as if she could feel the lead character's pain as she watched her husband's figure gradually becoming smaller and smaller until there was nothing left but the horizon to be seen. Ji Won sighed as she pondered upon the burden the wives of soldies had to bear as they watched their husbands leave without any assurance of their safe returns,

 

A soft knock on the front door disrupted the silence in the room and a brown- haired girl slowly came in with both hands full of paperwork. She was wearing a black cardigan over her burgundy flare dress. Ji Won’s face immediately lit up at the sight of the new comer and within a split second, she had abandoned the english book she was reading. Although she was a full-blood Korean, Ji Won was fluent in english and even favors it over reading manhwas and books in hanggul form.

 

“I thought you were coming back late today and that I’ll be stuck alone in the house for another two hours,” Ji Won blabbed and Shin Hye chuckled at her younger sister’s worries. Her sister wasn't fond of being alone since it reminded her of the old times but at the same time, she was also not fond of going out of the apartment so she often chose to endure being holed up in their home.

 

“Well I brought my work with me because it’s raining and I know that you love telling me about your day in the university over a mug of hot chocolate.” Shin Hye spoke as she handed over her stuff to Ji Won because the latter kept grabbing it. She then plopped to the sofa and the television as Ji Won took her stuff upstairs and prepared her older sister a snack.

 

After carefully placing the mugs of hot choco on the glass table, Ji Won settled down next to her sister and turned her attention to the screen. Her sister was watching news again.

 

          “Rumors have been going around that the Lee Family Council, descendants of the Great King Taejo, and other high officials have been promoting the monarch system of government and they want to restore the tradition. The government still hasn’t given a statement regarding these claims. Meanwhile Prince Yi Won, Head of the Imperial House, stated in an earlier interview that the current government has done a great job in improving the country’s economy but if ever the country needs the monarch government, they would be willing to serve again. Stay tuned for further updates regarding the issue.”

 

“I hope that our government would stay as it is. Monarchy is so last season,” Ji Won strongly voiced out. She had her hands placed firmly on her hips and she had a determined look in her eyes. Shin Hye wanted to laugh at her sister's attempt to look fierce and serious but decided against it.

 

“I don’t think something’s wrong with the monarchial type of government. Why do you dislike it anyway?” Shin Hye asked Ji Won. She was clearly puzzled with Ji Won's stand and sudden declaration.

 

“Oh come on. Just imagine what would happen if we’re going back to the monarchial system. There will be no more elections which will deprive the citizens of their right to vote. Only the direct descendants of the king would have a chance to take the throne. Secondly, once monarchy is restored, we will have additional stuff to learn. They would probably add another history subject focused on the Joseon family alone. You know how much I hate subjects related to the past. I mean me knowing the date of their births won’t help me find a job right?” her younger sister complained.

 

Shin Hye chuckled at Ji Won’s childish perspective and smiled in contentment. Days like these brought back memories she treasured. Ji Won had always been her other half. They were like two peas in a pod- they’re different in so many ways but they think alike and always stick with each other.

 

Eversince their mother started working in Japan around five years ago, her life revolved around her younger sister. She made a promise to herself that she would be a mother, sister and best friend to Ji Won while their mother was away. Their mother often called them before they sleep at night to check up on them and she always went home during long holidays and breaks.

 

Well, that was until a year ago when their mother unexpectedly cut off all her ties with them. They tried reaching her, even asking help from the authorities just to hear any news about their mother but it seemed like she just disappeared. It was a very rough year for both of them. They used their savings for their supposed to be vacation in Japan and Shin Hye had to work really hard so that both of them can survive.  Her earnings barely managed to cover up their monthly expenses but she didn't want to move out. This apartment was the only thing that their mother had left and she knew that the place was very dear to her younger sister. Desperate as it may seem but Shin Hye even sought assistance from a loan shark one time. Fortunately, the Ahn family took care of them and Soo Jung's mother, Yoo Sun, offered Shin Hye a job in her university. It was a prestigious universtiy and Shin Hye's income tripled. It took a lot of sacrifices but seeing her younger sister happy was enough for Shin Hye. 

 

After a minute of enjoying each other’s silent company, Shin Hye spoke. “So how’s your day in the university? Still surviving your course?” she inquired Ji Won.

 

“Well the fall semester just started and Ms. Jung has already given us some tasks. Each of us will be directing a photoshoot next Friday. We are in charge of everything, up to the tiniest details. And I still haven’t started casting my models. So yeah, I’m starting to hate her again,” Ji Won said and a crease formed in her forehead as she began to weigh her problem mentally.

 

 “Shinsoo…, ” Ji Won slowly said, fixing her gaze straight into her sister’s eyes and held Shin Hye’s hands. Ji Won seldom calls her using the childhood nickname she gave Shin Hye so her sister was quick to realize that Ji Won was probably gonna ask a favor. She usually acted childishly went she wanted to ask something from her older sister.

 

“What? Don’t give me that look. I know you’re going to ask a favor because yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter