Sooyoung

Monsters

 

    “Where to now?” asked the driver of an old 1980s Toyota.

    Most people would simply be discouraged by the lack of success, Jessica, on the other hand, was infuriated. She was hoping to finish sooner than expected so she could get Taeyeon’s group of friends off her back.

    “Back to HQ,” Jessica responded, dejected.

    “Don’t worry about it too much, Jessica,” her friend assured her. “It hasn’t even been 24 hours. Why are you in such a rush anyways?”

    “Just get me back to HQ, Donghae,” replied Jessica, tired and unwilling to participate in any conversation.

    “Come on, Jessica. I’ve known you for a long time. You even told me about your top-secret job. Something has been bothering you since you came back from that mission. Please, talk to me, Jessica.”

    Jessica turned away from the window and looked at her friend. He kept his eyes on the road but his expression was full of concern. If there was anyone Jessica could talk to, it was Donghae. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath in.

    “I don’t understand why we don’t kill all these monsters,” Jessica started. “They’re a danger to everyone, even us. Us! People who are trained to deal with them.”

    Jessica began to recall her mission in the abandoned town and the loss of her team. A team she could rely on. Like family. Like Donghae.

    “Jessica, what happened?” Donghae asked cautiously, when he saw his friend quiet down.

    “They died! My entire team was killed by some freakish monster we were sent to deal with!” Jessica confided, her voice increasing as tears began to form. “This werewolf killed an innocent person. I just had to clean up a salamander mess. Those tiny fire breathing lizards destroyed a whole house. Those lizards destroyed mine! They killed my entire family in a stupid fire!”

    Anything Jessica said afterwards was incomprehensible. Donghae pulled the car over and held her. Jessica cried, releasing all the frustration that she held onto in a flurry of tears and weeping.

 

    Donghae had dropped Jessica off in front of the apartment building after Jessica reassured her friend that she was going to be okay. Feeling more relieved, Jessica had renewed hopes in finding the werewolf. She headed straight to the computer lab to check on Seohyun and the search she was running.

    Jessica entered the computer lab with Seohyun reading through a stack of books with the search algorithm running in the background. Seohyun had her feet propped against another chair as she thumbed through the rules and regulations of the organization. On the table were books related to different creatures and abnormals.

    “How is the search going?” asked Jessica, taking the book out of Seohyun’s hands and placing it on the table beside her.

    Seohyun looked up confused to see Jessica in front of her.

    “What are you doing here?” she asked, perturbed.

    “What are you talking about?” Jessica demanded.

    “I-I thought you would be out with Yoona,” said Seohyun, stuttering over her words at the glare Jessica gave her. “S-she figured out who the werewolf was.”

    Seohyun pulled up the file on the individual, showing Jessica the video of the black haired individual limping on his right leg. Jessica cursed. She took a piece of paper to write down the address and headed out the door without another word to the quivering, dumbfounded rookie she left behind.

    When Jessica arrived at the apartment from the address, she kicked down the door without knocking. She knew Yoona would have gotten there and seized the werewolf before she could get there. As the door fell down, Jessica brought her hand up, holding a gun ready to fire in case there was anyone in the room. Around her was an apartment with few furniture and a lot of half unpacked boxes. Unfortunately, this was the last thing Jessica saw as she felt a throbbing pain from the side of her head, disorienting her before she passed out.

 

    “She’s awake!”

    Jessica swayed her head in a daze. She brought her hand up to comfort the throbbing pain on the side of her head but it was restricted behind her back. Alarmed, her eyes pulled open to reveal the apartment she entered. The only difference, a tall woman sitting across from her, arms resting against her leg as she leaned forward. Jessica tugged at her hands to get loose, but was only met with a rattle of the chair she sat in.

    “I thought I’d have to find a prince to kiss you,” the woman in front of Jessica joked.

    Jessica took a deep breath to calm herself.

    “Sooyoung, right?” asked Jessica, who received a nod in response. “You pack quite the punch for someone as skinny as you are.”

    “I’ve been told I eat a lot.” Sooyoung then pretended to think as she lifted her head. “Unless, you’re implying that I’m the werewolf,” she continued, acting dumbfounded.

    Jessica smirked.

    “Come on, Jessica. You’re smarter than that. Werewolves are stronger because their muscles are more developed. Look at me. I don’t have any,” said Sooyoung as she waved her hand up and down the length of her body. A simple white t-shirt and a pair of ripped dark jeans covering her.

    Jessica returned a questioning glare that wanted Sooyoung to explain herself. The recipient understood.

    “I eat a lot,” was her simple reply. “I’ve been called the God of Eating.”

    “Let me guess, Taeyeon gave you the nickname.”

    “Of course you would know,” Sooyoung said before pausing. She continued by adding, with a smirk and a mocking tone, “Ice Princess.”

    Just as Jessica glared at her, Sooyoung said, with a pleased expression adorning her face, “and there it is.”

    “What the f--- do you want?” asked Jessica, less calmed and more irritated.

    “Well, I was told I didn’t have to keep it a secret,” confessed Sooyoung, leaning back against the chair. “So, I suppose I could tell you.”

    There was a moment of silence as Jessica’s menacing glare dug into Sooyoung, who didn't cower as she held a grin across her face. It was interrupted by Bruno Mars’ Grenade. Sooyoung reached behind her to grab her cellphone, sitting on a countertop. 

    “Hello?… But-… Yuri, come on… But-… Okay.”

    Sooyoung hung up the phone and sighed in defeat.

    “Well,” said Sooyoung, standing up from her seat. As she walked towards Jessica she continued, “I guess I have to release you.”

    Sooyoung walked around Jessica, pulling a switchblade out of her pocket and cutting the ropes tying Jessica’s hands together. Without wasting a second, Jessica pounced on Sooyoung, grabbing the taller woman and twisting her arm behind her back. Sooyoung released the blade in her hand, dropping to her knees in the process.

    “What are you trying to pull here?” Jessica demanded.

    Sooyoung grinned, amused at Jessica’s show of power.

    “Not much, I was just buying time so Taeyeon can get the werewolf and his pack to a location away from you.”

    “Where’s Yoona? Where’s the werewolf?”

    “Not sure, probably out trying to find the real culprit. As for the werwolf, I have no clue. Anymore questions?”

    “You honestly think it’s not the werewolf?” asked Jessica, bewildered at the bunch of individuals getting in her way.

    “Yes. And you would too if you looked through the police files.”

    Sooyoung was done answering Jessica’s questions. With her strength alone, she pulled her arm out of the compromising position Jessica thought she was in. 

    Shocked at Sooyoung’s show of strength, Jessica attempted to apply more force only to falter under the pressure. She released her grip on Sooyoung when she realized she wouldn’t be able to stop her.

    “Well, I should be going now,” Sooyoung said as she got up from her knees, unfazed. “It’s been a pleasure talking to you. Although, if I had to be honest, it was quite boring.”

    Sooyoung picked up her bag, pulling out a set of documents and dropping it on the chair in front of Jessica. She, then, walked out of the room without another word, leaving Jessica behind to think by herself.