Taeyeon

Monsters

 

    “It seems everything is in order,” said a burly man in a handsome suit. He set down the documents he was looking over and continued, “I’m actually quite impressed your psychiatrist cleared you for duty only a couple of weeks after the incident.”

    Jessica sat in the small office room decorated with the achievements of the man and the few cacti he cared for. She stared at him, waiting for something worth responding to. Across the table the man stared back at her, waiting for her to tell him the truth.

    “Jessica,” he began empathetically. “I know you threatened your psychiatrist to sign the papers. I can’t clear you for duty.”

    “It’s been a month!” Jessica exclaimed, clearly angered by his decision. “I’ve spent time grieving. I’ve passed all your tests and examinations. I’m not going to let some bull psychiatrist who doesn’t know anything about me stop me!”

    The man sighed.

    “Take a walk with me,” he offered Jessica as he stood up from his chair.

    A scoff was all he got in return.

    The man sighed again.

    “Jessica, I’m your commander. You have to do as I say.”

    Jessica reluctantly got up and followed her commander out of the office, pass the waiting room where his secretary greeted with a nod, and into the main lobby of an apartment building. They walked across the room towards the elevator. When they got in, the commander swiped his badge and the elevator began descending past the basement level parking lots. Jessica and her commander stood next to each other as they patiently waited to reach their desired floor.

    The doors opened to reveal a spacious white room. There was pockets of colour in the form of furniture and a few decorations that hung on the wall. In the centre was a large, circular wooden table with a map of the world carved onto it’s surface. Above it hung a chandelier, below it an even larger rug. There were three doors, each on one of the surrounding walls, each with it’s own name written above. To the left was the briefing room, across was the armoury, and to the right was the drop off. Few people walked in and out of the doors, while some rested on the couches.

    Jessica’s commander took her towards the table at the centre of the room. Around the map the words ‘cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad infernos’ could be read.

    “Do you know what this means?” The commander asked.

    “No,” was all he got in response from Jessica.

    The man sighed once again.

    “It reads ‘whoever’s is the soil, it is theirs all the way to Heaven and all the way to the depths below,’ ” the man explained. “Do you know why this is important?”

    “If I tell you will you stop this boring field trip and give me a proper mission?” Jessica asked.

    “Fine,” the commander said, finally giving in to Jessica’s demands. Truthfully, the psychiatrist didn’t know Jessica and was only holding her back because of a past trauma that had already been resolved. Jessica passed the evaluation.

    “The latin phrase is to remind us of what we are responsible for,” Jessica began reciting her studies. “We are here to ensure a stable and suitable world exists in which we can comfortably inhabit. This is why we, as the Mythical and Abnormal Creature Control Centre, hunt creatures that could potentially endanger the world, threatening what is rightfully ours.”

    “Good to know it’s not completely empty up there,” the man said, pleased at Jessica’s answer.

    “Of course it isn’t,” Jessica scoffed, swatting his finger away from her head. “So, that mission you promised me.”

    “Right,” the mad said as he scoured the room before finding what he needed. He walked over to cut off a small woman, who was talking with another agent.

    “Taeyeon,” he said. “Are you heading out for a mission?”

    “Yes,” the woman answered, confused. “A house burned down last night. Possible salamander infestation.”

    “Wait!” Jessica called out behind her commander. “You can’t expect me to go on a baby mission!”

    The man ignored her and continued his conversation with Taeyeon, “Are you taking Yuri with you?” he said pointing to the taller woman standing beside Taeyeon.

    “No, I’m taking Sunny.”

    “Taeyeon, you can’t keep taking my best agents on these missions. Especially on this mission. Salamander infestations only require one person.”

    “But with Sunny I’ll be done twice as fast.”

    The man sighed.

    “Here, take Jessica.”

    “You just chastised me for taking one of your best agents. Now, you’re forcing Jessica on me?” Taeyeon asked a bit bewildered.

    “Jessica needs to start out small. She was just mentally cleared for duty,” the man explained.

    Taeyeon looked at Jessica and back at the commander.

    “What if I say no?” Taeyeon questioned.

    “As if I’d go on this mission in the first place!” Jessica said, offended at Taeyeon’s words.

    The man sighed for the fifth, and hopefully, last time that day.

    “Jessica,” the man started. “You threatened your psychiatrist to pass you. I’m starting you out small. You can work your way up.” He turned his attention to the shorter woman and said, “Taeyeon, I’m your commander. You have to do as I say.”

    “Can I still bring Tiffany?” Taeyeon inquired.

    “I thought you said Sunny.”

    Taeyeon stayed mum, hoping the commander would let it slide.

    “Fine. Whatever. Just make sure you bring Jessica with you,” the man said, satisfied at what he managed to accomplish with the two agents even if it meant wasting resources on a simple mission. The commander sighed, rubbing his temples with his fingers as he left the two ladies alone.

    Jessica glared at the shorter woman, who returned the glare with a dumbfounded stare.

    “Uh…I guess I’ll take my leave too,” said Yuri, keeping an eye on Jessica before turning to Taeyeon to assure her, “if you’re not taking Sunny, maybe I’ll ask her to help tonight. If not I’ll ask Sooyoung.”

    “Sure,” replied Taeyeon. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

    She waved goodbye to Yuri, who entered the elevator with the commander. 

    “So…” Taeyeon began as she turned to address Jessica.

    “I don’t get it, Taeyeon,” Jessica interjected. “How are you okay doing these simple, tedious missions? You were one of the best coming out of the Academy. What happened?”

    Taeyeon shrugged.

    “They don’t bother you as much when they’re underestimating you,” she said. “Gives me a bit of room to do what I want.”

    Jessica creased her eyebrows in confusion as she realized Taeyeon was being completely serious with her answer. She sighed, unable to understand the other woman.

    “Let’s just get this over and done with,” said Jessica as she walked by Taeyeon and into the escalator.