Like Penguins

The Prince and the Pauper

"So tired, so tired, so tired," Ryeowook repeated, tiredly entering his home and crashing face down to the sofa. Bella ran up to him excitedly and his cheek. 

"I know, I know, I'll take you for a walk soon, okay?" he mumbled into the cushion his face had fell on. 

It was Monday now, and Ryeowook hadn't seen Kyuhyun all weekend. He completely forgot to ask him for his number, and he wasn't sure about just turning up to his house uninvited, not yet. Kyuhyun had said that Ryeowook could come round when he wanted, but Ryeowook didn't want to intrude or anything like that. 

He forced himself off the sofa to the kitchen and opened the fridge, revealing a disappointing amount of food. After browsing each shelf he settled on a yoghurt, earning a disapproving look from Bella; who really wanted to go for a walk. 

"2 minutes!" Ryeowook groaned, patting Bella lovingly on the head before he sat down and turned the TV on while he ate. Bella hopped up on the sofa and sat next to him, fascinated by the moving pictures on the TV screen. He finished eating quickly and took the recyclable yoghurt pot to the kitchen and dumped it next to the sink to clean later. 

"Bella!" he called, an excited dalmatian appearing at his side instantly to have her lead put on.

Once they were ready, the pair left the house Bella following in front and barking excitedly at something when she stepped out of the door. 

"What are you doing here?!" Ryeowook asked Kyuhyun- who was stood outside the door, leaning cooly on a pillar on the front porch. 

"Is it walking time?" he asked, crouching down to give Bella some love. 

"How did you know where I live?" Ryeowook asked, still startled at Kyuhyun's sudden presence. 

"I followed your bus home," Kyuhyun said as he gestured to his car behind him. 

"That's...a very nice car," Ryeowook gaped at the beautiful, shiny car parked on the street outside of his house, wondering how much money it was worth. 

"200,000,000 won," Kyuhyun answered the question that he knew Ryeowook wanted to ask. 

Ryeowook choked on his own saliva, coughing harshly from hearing such a large sum of money. 

"Okay I think it's time for that walk," he said calmly, composing himself as he tried to ignore the car sat outside his house. 

The pair walked side by side down the road, with Bella pattering along in front of them excitedly. The way that the sun was starting to set made a picturesque scene, making Kyuhyun and Ryeowook look almost like a couple- a romantic silhouette walking into the sunset. 

They were happy in each other's company, although neither of them would really admit it like that; they enjoyed being together. They had both found the friend that they had been longing for a long time. 

"This is the park I always take her to," Ryeowook pointing to a gate they were approaching. 

"She knows the way," Kyuhyun cooed as Bella ran straight for the gate, trying to open it with her paws. Ryeowook giggled. 

"She loves it here," he said, removing Bella's lead, opening the gate and letting her run ahead. He followed behind her with Kyuhyun, entering the park first and heading straight for his usual bench. Kyuhyun slumped down next to him and watched Bella run around happily. 

Ryeowook shivered coldly, teeth chattering as a result of the winter weather. Kyuhyun glanced over to him. 

"Are you cold?" he asked, Ryeowook nodded as he wrapped his arms around himself. Kyuhyun chuckled under his breath, and paused for a moment before saying anything. 

"I suppose you should sit closer then," he suggested. Ryeowook looked up instantly, glancing at him before awkwardly looking back over to Bella. 

"What?" 

"You know," Kyuhyun began, "like...like penguins!" 

"Penguins?" Ryeowook asked. 

"Yeah, they huddle to keep warm, do they not?" Kyuhyun retorted, eyeing Ryeowook questioningly- wondering why he hadn't come closer yet. 

"Well, a lot of animals do, but-" 

"Just come here," Kyuhyun interrupted, tugging Ryeowook's sleeve; forcing him to lean in close. Ryeowook complied with him and scooted along so he was sitting as close as he possibly could to him. 

"Warmer?" 

Ryeowook nodded. He felt much warmer, but not so much from the body heat of being sat close to him- but rather from the flustered feeling he was getting from sitting so close to him. 

"Are we penguins now?" he teased. 

"Yes, yes we are," Kyuhyun smiled. The pair watched Bella run around and inspect anything and everything with her dog like curiosity. 

"How did you finish work so early today?" Ryeowook asked curiously. Kyuhyun let out a small laugh. 

"I worked extra hard, just so I could leave early enough to follow you home, that sounded creepy...but you're like my only friend so I wanted to." 

"Don't overwork yourself!" Ryeowook warned, nudging Kyuhyun slightly, "especially not for me." 

"Yeah yeah," Kyuhyun waved it off, knowing it was already too late to not overwork himself. 

After about 15 minutes of watching Bella- with only the occasional small talk- Ryeowook called her over. 

"It's getting late," he commented, re-attaching Bella's lead. 

"Mm," Kyuhyun agreed, following Ryeowook back out of the park. 

"Do you...wanna come over? When we get back I mean, or do you have to go home. I don't mind either way but if you wanna come over for a coffee or-" 

"I'd love to come over," Kyuhyun interrupted, already too familiar with when Ryeowook was nervously babbling, and when to stop him. 

The pair walked the short walk back to Ryeowook's house and entered, both removing their shoes and heading straight for the living room- Bella heading straight for her bed. 

"Uh, this is my house," Ryeowook introduced. 

"I like it," Kyuhyun smiled, looking around curiously. 

"Really? It's not much, and I wasn't expecting company so it's kinda messy," Ryeowook admitted, trying not to appear too outwardly embarrassed that someone from such a magnificent, beautiful, big house was seeing his small, messy shoebox house. 

"Ah shut up you know I don't care about that, I think your home is adorable," Kyuhyun smiled sweetly. 

"Well, thank you," Ryeowook said as he journeyed to the kitchen to make coffee. 

"I'm sorry I don't have a fancy coffee machine, it's just instant coffee and a kettle I'm afraid," he sighed. Kyuhyun laughed softly. 

"Honestly, I don't care about that. Anyway you're a barista, it's bound to be nice!" he said encouragingly. 

"Not with instant coffee granules," Ryeowook retorted, "and flat milk with no froth

"As long as the coffee is made by you, it'll be nice," Kyuhyun finished, hoping Ryeowook would drop the subject and stop putting his house down. Kyuhyun wasn't one of those rich people that looked down on poor people, not at all. He never had been and never would be one of those people, ever. He was disgraced at the thought of snobby rich people, people like his parents. People who looked down on people with less money as if they were scum, who were actually working just as hard, or often harder than them. 

Kyuhyun glanced over to a sideboard with a series of framed photos scattered around on it. He squinted at the young boy appearing in a lot of them. 

"Is that you?" he asked, grabbing Ryeowook's attention who followed his gaze to see where he was looking- eyes landing on the photos. 

"Oh yeah, it is," Ryeowook mumbled, "I was overweight back then." 

"You look cute!" Kyuhyun argued, marvelling at how different he looked. He got up from the sofa and walked to the sideboard, picking up a photo of young Ryeowook in front of a white background. 

"Ah you have the same smile..." he whispered, quiet enough so Ryeowook didn't hear. His attention was drawn to another photo instantly when he saw it, he picked it up slowly and gazed at it. 

"Is this you and your parents?" he called to Ryeowook in the kitchen. 

"Yeah, about 20 years ago," he called back. 

Kyuhyun observed the photo, taking in all it's aspects. It was Ryeowook and his Father working together on the farm, they were carrying hay bales; Ryeowook's being a lot smaller and lighter of course, laughing about something as they carried them. His Mother sat in the background on a deck chair smiling lovingly at her husband and son. 

Kyuhyun stared at the photo, smiling weakly as a tear ran down his face. 

*Flashback to about 20 years ago*

"Kyuhyun! Come into the living room," his father called. a 7 year old Kyuhyun pattered in as fast as he could and stood in front of his Father. 

"We've hired you a maths tutor, to improve your maths skills. I've found a job that I want you to go into when you're older, but it requires being very good at maths," his Father informed him, looking up at him from his seat in a beautiful looking armchair. 

"Do I have to? I don't like maths!" Kyuhyun whined. 

"Yes you have to," his Father retorted sternly, standing up from his seat. Kyuhyun cowered back fearfully. 

"Okay," he said in a quiet voice. 

"Now go and do your homework," his Father commanded. 

"Father, my TV show starts in 5 minutes, can't I do it after?" Kyuhyun asked nervously. 

"No! Go and do your homework!" he boomed. 

"Kyuhyun, listen to your Father," his Mother chirped in, giving him a Motherly glare which suggested he should do as he's told. 

"Now!" 

*end of flashback* 

"I guess we had pretty different lives even 20 years ago," Kyuhyun muttered, another few tears falling. 

"Sorry what did you say?" Ryeowook called. 

"Nothing!" Kyuhyun called back, wiping his tears quickly with one hand and checking his face wasn't blotchy in the mirror as he heard Ryeowook stirring the coffee, signalling he was about to come back into the room. He placed the photo back down where it was and joined Ryeowook on the sofa. 

"Coffee," Ryeowook beamed, handing Kyuhyun a cute looking mug, which was cream coloured with pretty black lettering that said "커피" (coffee). 

"Thank you," Kyuhyun thanked gratefully, taking the mug and sipping the coffee. 

"I'm so glad I met you," he smiled. Ryeowook widened his eyes, taken back by the sudden compliment. 

"I'm glad I met you too!" he giggled. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hellooo everyone!

I'm sorry it took me 10 days to update, I was waiting a week to just let people catch up with the story as I updated really fast, and to hit 1000 views and get a few more subscribers, but time slipped away with Christmas shopping and organising and today I was like ' I haven't updated in 10 days now, people have probably caught up with it by now' so I wrote a chapter

They're getting really cute now, I'm still frustrated cos I just wANNA WRITE KYUWOOK FLUFF but I can't yet I need to ease into it so it's not tooooo rushed 

But thank you all for reading and subscribing and I do have 1000 views now! But a lot of them are on the first chapter then suddenly the views deteriorate so I don't know if people read the first chapter and go 'nah don't like it' or what, but oh well I have some loyal readers who comment every chapter and I love it so thank you all sooo much! I'm absolutely loving writing this and I'm working really hard to make it not too rushed, and for it to make sense hahah