The Dinner Party

The Prince and the Pauper

Everything was bustling at the coffee shop/restaurant, and after hours of being on his feet working; Ryeowook was not up for the table of 23 that was due to arrive soon. He had a 3 hour break in between; which he spent walking the dog to compensate for the fact that he would be far too tired to walk her later. 

"Big table arriving in 5 minutes!" a waiter called, somehow causing the rest of the staff to subconsciously increase their speed with what they were currently doing so that they would be ready for the oncoming storm. 

"Never mind, they're here now," the same waiter said, sighing at the early arrival of their customers. 

"Welcome," a waitress greeted as the business men and women all walked in and quickly spotted their allocated table. Kyuhyun followed right at the back, looking completely unamused at this event. They all took a seat round their big table- which was actually 3 tables put together with some extra chairs shoved in. 

Loud chatter could be heard among the colleagues, ranging from business talk to 'did you watch running man last night?'. 

Ryeowook glanced at the crowd of neatly dressed colleagues as he walked past with a tray of food balanced on the palm of his left hand, scoffing at their presence. After placing the various plates and bowls on the table, he walked back to the counter and stood next to another waiter. 

"Rich business people," Ryeowook snarled, leaning closer to him so no one would hear. 

"I know right?" the waiter agreed, sighing. "They have no idea how lucky they are," he added. 

"Mmm," Ryeowook mumbled in agreement, "they can sit there happily in their overpriced suits, eating expensive food; paying with their gold card," he began. 

"While we work our asses off providing this evening for them, and for what?" the waiter continued, looking at Ryeowook expectantly. 

"Minimum wage," Ryeowook finished as the pair looked over to the business men and women again. Both waiters trying not to let the jealousy show on their face. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kyuhyun chewed on the inside of his cheek as he tried his best to listen to a female colleague tell him about her pet cats, but he just wasn't clicking with the conversation. He didn't care one bit that she had just bought them new scratch posts, he didn't care at all, and as much as he tried to look interested; he was convinced that his facial expressions were obviously bored. 

"The youngest kitten is loving it!" the woman squealed. 

"Ahh," Kyuhyun nodded. 

"Here, let me show you some pictures," she beamed, Kyuhyun's eyes widening at the thought of being shown hundreds of pictures of some cats. 

"Oh no you don't have to do that," he waved his hands in defence, "really," he added. 

"Don't be silly! Here," she said, handing him her phone. "Just swipe left," she instructed. Kyuhyun hesitated, clearing his throat. He flicked through what seemed like about 50 photos before shoving her phone back into her hands. 

"Lovely!" he smiled, looking away from her and letting the smile fade. 

He looked over dreamily to a small bunch of waiters standing behind the counter, wishing he was in their place. That was genuine fun; laughing together. They were chattering away and laughing while they waited for food to take to tables, or customers to serve. That's all their job was too. There was so little responsibility and even if they did screw up, it's just an apology away from being fixed up- and that's all. 

If he could just swap places with one of them, even for a week, he was sure that his mind would be able to rest. It wasn't a job that requires a lot of thinking, and there wasn't a huge weight of responsibility. 

Most importantly- he would have friends. As in, real friends. Real friends that he could bond with through waitering together. Rather than some acquaintances that were the constant reason he had so much responsibility on his shoulders. 

"Right then!" a business man called, "what about those spreadsheets then?" Kyuhyun groaned out loud, slumping back into his seat in aggravation. Even at a dinner he couldn't get away from office stuff. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Imagine their houses!" Ryeowook exclaimed dreamily, picturing all sorts of fancy exterior designs and outdoor swimming pools. 

"Yeah think of the interior decoration they must be able to afford too," a waitress who had joined in their conversation added. 

"What I would do with that kind of money. These people are actuaries right?" the waiter from before asked. 

"I think so," Ryeowook informed him. 

"I'll look up the average pay of an actuary on my phone," he proposed, finding his phone in the back pocket of his black jeans. He opened up the internet and tapped his search into google, jaw quickly dropping at the top result on the webpage. 

"What is it?" the waitress asked, trying to peer over at his phone. The waiter turned the phone round to face her and Ryeowook, their jaws both dropping too at the large figure. 

"Ugh I could do so much with that," Ryeowook whimpered, earning a quick agreeing 'yup' from the other two. 

"The food must be ready by now," the waitress warned, causing the other two to suddenly panic a little inside as they realised how long they'd been standing there chatting. The trio all went to the kitchen to collect a few plates each to take to the big table. 

"I'll take all these," Ryeowook gestured to a collection of plates and bowls on the counter, placing them one by one onto the tray placed on the palm of his hand. He arranged them around the tray, distributing the weight as evenly as he could. The tray wobbled slightly on his hand, but he was used to it by now after doing it the whole night.

The three colleagues walked back out of the kitchen with trays on their hands, Ryeowook following them at the back. They walked over to the big table, the waiter and waitress both putting food down at either ends of the table. 

Ryeowook followed behind, still slowly making his way over, clearly not as fast and experienced as the other two at this. He was good at making coffee- not carrying lots of food on one tray. 

He could feel his face heat up as the business men and women all stared at him, waiting for him to finally come over with the rest of their food. 

Luck. 

It was always something Ryeowook didn't have much of, ever. If something happened to someone; it would happen to Ryeowook, it always worked like that...always. 

Which is why Ryeowook was startled when his foot caught some uneven floor, and he tripped, letting go of the tray before he reached the floor. 

There was food everywhere, everything he had on the tray was now on the floor, mixed with some pieces of broken china from the plates and bowls. 

The whole restaurant fell into an eerie silence, every pair of eyes on the small man who had just fell over. 

Ryeowook felt hot and panicky, and everything was moving in slow motion. He propped himself up with his hands, but still leaned forwards so his bright red face couldn't be seen. 

Some of the slightly drunk business men and women laughed it off, taking the fact that their food was all over the food lightly. All they could think to do was laugh it off- even Kyuhyun. 

Kyuhyun wasn't a bad person, but he had an evil side to him sometimes, and that evil side couldn't help but laugh at the fact that a waiter genuinely just tripped over in front of him. It was the first time that night he had been entertained so he was somewhat grateful for that. 

But- why was no one helping him? Was there really no one here that would help him? Not even the other waiters and waitresses who seemed more busy just staring in shock at what just happened. 

He was going to have to do it wasn't he? He was going to have to be the nice guy...great. 

Kyuhyun got up from his seat and walked around the table and over to the waiter who just tripped over. 

"Uh, are you okay?" he asked awkwardly, extending a hand, offering him to take it. 

Ryeowook looked up at the one man willing to help him. 

He had nice eyes. 

Wait he just fell over in front of everyone in this restaurant and probably even had onlookers from outside, why was he admiring this guy's eyes? 

Although- they were so big and cute, like a puppy. 

No, what was he doing? 

"I-I'm okay," he stuttered, glancing to Kyuhyun's outstretched hand but ignoring it and scrambling up off the floor. Kyuhyun frowned, looking at his hand before pulling it back, slightly offended that he didn't take it. 

"T-Thank you," Ryeowook stammered out, bowing really quickly before running in the other direction. 

"You're...welcome?" Kyuhyun mumbled to himself, despite the fact that Ryeowook was already on the other side of the restaurant and heading straight to the back door. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Helloooo

Thank you all sooo much! After 2 chapters of this fic I have 27 subscribers...but on my other Kyuwook fic, I had 37...after 17 chapters!!! And I have over half as many comments I did on my 15 chapter BTS fic, and again this is only after 2 chapters!! So thank you all so much, and I've never been more excited to write a fic!^-^ <3