Chapter 3 ~ The Explanation

Back In Time

"What year is it?" I suddenly asked, desperate to know.

"Well, we've travelled back in time, so, 659 CE." Chorong, whose name actually was Chorong, in fact, said.

"Wait, we?"

"Yeah, this was the time when we lived, so yeah." Minhyuk explained.

"Which means," Chorong added, "Minhyuk and I decided to travel forward in time and back with you, well, more than 1000 years ago in your time and either save or destroy the three kingdoms of Korea. Remember Silla, Goguryeo and Baekje? We're in that time right now. Princess Eunji - yes, you are Princess Eunji's reincarnation - volunteered to have the reincarnation of herself travel back in time."

"Wait, so you guys are the Park Chorong and Lee Minhyuk I know?" I asked. At least there were some familiar faces.

"Yeah, we're just here with you because General Chorong asked the king if they could time travel with you to make sure you're safe. He also told us to tell everything to you." Minhyuk - no,- General Minyuk  replied a little stiffly.

"Wait, so... You guys are generals. Like, real generals."

"Yes." Chorong said matter-of-factly.

"Wait a second. How old are you?"

"We're the same age as you. 17."

"A 17-year-old head general? A 17-year-old deputy general? You kidding me?"

"I trained since I was three years old," Minhyuk replied. "We have enough skill. Chorong-ie here took her father's place as head general after her father retired 4 years ago. The first time she held a sword was when she was a month old. She trained ever since."

"I was not. I became deputy general when I was 13, not head general. I became head when I was 14." She punched Minhyuk on the arm lightly, but the slight blow rang around the room, resonating because of his metal armour.

"Whoa. A 14-year-old head general." I sighed, my mind blown. I could just imagine Chorong leading an army to battle, her sword raised. I shake off the image and focus on reality. "So you travelled forward in time to get me and travel back with me... But Minhyuk only showed up two days ago. Why was Minhyuk late?" I asked

"Because he's deputy general so he had to take my place as head while I was gone. I travelled forward in time and stayed in the future for two years to find you and get to know you so you wouldn't think I was some psycho who kidnapped you and took you into the past. Luckily I found the right school and the right town the first time because then I would have had to go to every single school in Korea, which is like a dent in your shield." Chorong sighed, placing her hands on her hips, huffing in annoyance. I glanced at Minhyuk.

He whispered in reply, "She specialises in combat fighting. That's why she said 'dent in a shield'. She's obsessed with shields and swords and archery and horse riding. I personally think it's funny, the way she obsesses over them."

"I heard that." Chorong blew a puff of air at a stray strand of her side fringe, pouting.

"And did I mention she's got good hearing, too?" Minhyuk coughed loudly.

"So you had to stay in the future for two years just to find me and get to know me?"

"Yeah. I made Minhyuk come two days before he came to the school. I met him and told him I had found her. Well, you."

"Wait, so why am I here?"

"The thing is, we kind of need you to help us conquer Goguryeo and Baekje. There is a battle taking place right now and if you don't help us win, the future of Silla will be shattered."

"So you're saying that there's going to be a big war between Silla and the other kingdoms and you're telling me to help you win?" I asked.

"That's right." Chorong said.

"How come no one realises that I'm not their actual princess?"

"That's because you're Princess Eunji's reincarnation and look identical." General Minhyuk answered. This explained a lot. That was why Bomi looked exactly like Bomi.

"But then how come you guys know about this and no one else does?" I questioned again for the hundredth time. Annoyance could be seen on the two generals' faces as they shared a glance with each other.

"That's because we secretly travelled forward in time to get you and time travelled 1000 years into the future." they clarified.

"And no one else knows about you two time travelling?"

"We would not have been able to if the King had not given us permission. Of course he knows." Minhyuk said.

"So how exactly am I supposed to help?" I asked and left the two silent.

"We actually don't know. But that is your duty and you must find out. You cannot go back into your own time if you don't figure it out because Silla will lose and you will most likely be killed." General Seungeun said bluntly.

"So you'll just have to act like a princess for a while. Have fun!" They said as they left the room before I could ask anymore questions.

Me? Be a princess? They've got to be kidding me.

*

*

*

"Ongju-nim, Namjoo Gongju-mama has arrived." Bomi informed.

This time I was ready. I was ready to be shocked of the resemblance. And as expected Namjoo Gongju, who looked exactly like my older sister Namjoo, gracefully walked into the room and sat on the mat.

"What brings you here?" I greeted politely.

"I haven't seen my dongsaeng's face for a long while so I thought I should come see you." Princess Namjoo said.

"Have you not been well these days? Why didn't you come visit me like you always used to do?" she calmly continued as she sipped on her tea. "Have you taken interest in a certain someone?" She asked daringly and I just stared back at her as if she was the king wearing a leotard and ballet shoes.

"I will take that as a no." she said after she saw my expression. "How is it that you are never interested in that kind of subject? You are always talking about horse riding and archery."

Luckily, Princess Eunji didn't sound like a very feminine and elegant member of the royal family like I expected. I sighed of relief. Now it wouldn't be that difficult. I just had to be like my normal self.

"How about you, Gongju-mama? Do you have a certain someone you have in mind?" I asked and received an are-you-seriously-asking-me-this-question look from her.

"I would want to get married any day." She sighed. It wouldn't be easy getting married for a princess.

*

*

*

"Bomi-yah, just this once, please." I begged.

"I am deeply sorry, but that will not be possible, Ongju-nim." she said strictly.

"Just change clothes with me and pretend to be me while I visit outside the Palace. It'll be quick." I continued. Being in the Palace for merely three days had tired me out. Horse riding and archery lessons from my older brother, the Crowned Prince Ilhoon (who looked like Jeong Ilhoon from school) and tea parties with my older sister Princess Namjoo had driven me nuts. Not that I didn't enjoy their presence, I just needed a break.

"I will get in trouble, Gongju-nim." Eunseo protested, already starting to back away.

"You're my only hope!" I clasped my hands around hers as I begged.

As if she was thinking about whether to help me out, she stood still for a couple of seconds and then turned around. "Only for three hours, gongju-nim," She sighed.