Chapter 2 ~ Thousand Years Back

Back In Time

"Ongju-nim! Ongju-nim! You must wake up right now! It has been ages since the sun rose." A voice spoke.

"Five more minutes Mum." I mumbled sleepily with my eyes still closed.

"Aigoo, Ongju-nim, I am Bomi, not the Hoogoong-mama." the familiar voice continued.

"I will be outside if you need anything, Ongju-nim. Your hanbok is ready for you to dress into in the wardrobe." Bomi said and quietly left the room.

Why was Bomi here? She never said anything about having a sleepover at my house last night. And since when was she formal to me? Why is she calling my mum 'Hoogoong-mama'?

Then suddenly, as if a bullet had tore through me, my eyes shot right open and information sunk into my brain.

I sat upright and glanced around the room. I noticed some things that were unfamiliar. Many things, in fact, were quite queer. There were wooden chiffoniers and an ancient screen, all in great condition and even better quality. Candles were lit around the room but the sun shone through the screened window and there were blankets on the floor as a bed. This surely wasn't my room.

This was exactly like those historical dramas I had watched when I wasn't studying.

I immediately noticed the creamy white sleeves of my hanbok's jeogori after a while. I looked at my outfit; a golden skirt and the jeogori were my pyjamas. Obviously I had been sleeping in these, but since when?

'Where am I?' I wondered. But before I could think any longer and confuse myself, memories from yesterday's history class and after school flooded into my head.

'In the year 659, there was a myth that someone from more than 1000 years in the future would travel back in time and alter the past and the future. For the better or for the worst, it is all in the time traveler's hands.'

'Hopefully this works,' Minhyuk muttered worriedly. 'If this doesn't, we're all doomed.'

'Oh, it'll work,' Chorong replied, her eyes closed and her lips barely moving. 'Trust me.'

I had traveled back 1000 years.

But how could this be?

Out of the seven billion there are in this world, 'I' got chosen to travel back in time and change the history and the future.

Great.

*

*

*

Act normal. I warned myself as I stood behind the door. Then again, what was normal?

I took a deep breath as I slid open the door.

Bomi and a couple of other goongnyeos bowed ninety degrees as I walked past them.

I took a quick glance at Bomi and nearly had a heart attack because of the resemblance which I didn't realise sooner. Bomi from the 21st century and Bomi from 659 CE looked identically the same, even the tones of their voices.

Pushing that to the back of my mind, I casually took the lead like the royals did in dramas. But I soon came to realise that there was a big problem; I had absolutely no idea where I was going. For all I knew, I could've been leading these goongnyeos to the male quarters of the castle or something.

I stopped in my tracks abruptly and so did Bomi and the two other maids. They stared at me curiously.

"Is there something wrong, Ongju-nim?" Eunseo asked. I hurriedly tried to think of something I could say which wouldn't sound suspicious but nothing came into my head.

"Ongju-nim?" Bomi asked once again.

Then, to my luck, two people, a guy and a girl, walked up to me. I guessed they were some highly ranked nobles judging from their bright blue feathered helmet from a distance.

"Ongju-mama. Have you forgotten the meeting that you had with us?" The male general said. I looked at him with my eyes wide open in shock. Lee Minhyuk? And the other general looked exactly like Park Chorong.

"Oh yeah, the meeting. I nearly forgot. I apologize." I said with an I-totally-forgot-it tone when I eventually snapped out of the thought of people looking similar to each other.

"You are dismissed," The person who looked like Chorong said coldly to the maids.

"Follow us, please, Ongju-nim, we will you to the meeting room."

I followed the two generals into what looked like a weapons room. There were swords and shields and bows and arrows everywhere. Before I could ask if this was their 'meeting room', I was interrupted as the girl spun around with a huge smile on her face.

"You made it!" The girl exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around me and jumped up and down in the air in excitement.

"Wait, what?" I asked, extremely confused.

"I thought you would die. Thank heavens you didn't!"

"I told you she would survive." The other said, making me totally confused.

"Would someone care to explain what exactly is going on here?" I asked in a loud voice.

"Come sit down. We'll tell you everything from the very start, Eunji-yah." The girl said excitedly, breathless with excitement.