Chapter 12 ~

Back In Time

~Nobody's POV~

The fire burned in the bowl torches as Baekhyun, the newly appointed general of Silla, strolled the palace grounds with his hands placed lightly behind his back. Despite his defeat in the trials, the Crowned Prince had recognised his skills and allowed both Sungjae and Baekhyun to become generals. At first, he refused - his pride wouldn't allow him. But he clenched his teeth and agreed to take the offer when he reminded himself why he was in Silla in the first place. He had realised that becoming a general would allow him to be one step closer to accomplishing his desire - to bring Silla to its end.

His steps headed towards the weapons room, but soon came to a stop when he saw someone standing in the doorway, eavesdropping on some generals. Someone, who needn't to be there. It was a maid.

The maid took caution to tread carefully away from the scene, but not taking enough caution to realise there was a figure turning the opposite corner to catch a glimpse of her maid's hanbok as she turned around the corner.

~Baekhyun's POV~

What is she doing? Whose maid is she?

Before I could investigate further, two generals came out of the weapons room and stopped dead when they saw me.

"Who are you?" The male general demanded.

"I was newly appointed a couple of days ago by the crowned prince," I replied immediately.

"What are you doing here?" He continued and took a step towards me, but before I could give an answer, the female general interrupted as she lifted her sword from her hand and blocked the male general.

"How much did you hear?" Her eyes narrowed.

"I didn't hear anything." I replied a little too quickly. They raised their eyebrows, clearly not being able to believe me.

They seemed to be convincing themselves that I was telling the truth.

*

*

*

~Nobody's POV~
 

The light from the full moon accompanied Baekhyun as he heavily treaded back home after his first day at the Palace. An un-selfconscious smile appeared on his face as he gazed at the shining moon. He reminisced of the first day he had crossed paths with the princess. His heart started pounding and it was making it difficult for him to breathe. He had no idea why he was feeling like this. It was an uncomfortable feeling, but it felt welcoming in its own way.

Could this be love? He thought.

But he knew it couldn't be possible. He is from Goguryeo and she is from Silla. Their fate was no different than the two ends of a magnet - they could never be together.

His smile completely vanished when he neared the tall brick gates to his house - the heavy atmosphere never welcomed him, even back in Goguryeo. His father had decided that the family would temporarily dwell in Silla, under fake identities, just until they obtained all the information they needed to bring Goguryeo to its victory. Then, they would go back to their homeland and prepare a war with their opposing tribe.

He took a deep breath and opened the wooden gates. A familiar figure stood in front of him, as if she had expected his impromptu visit.

She was dressed in her floral light pink and cream hanbok. Her hands were elegantly clasped together as she bowed in his direction. It was his little sister, Naeun.

Since birth, Naeun had always been quiet and polite, to the point that it was hard to believe that she and Baekhyun are siblings. She would always be the graceful one, and he would always be the troublemaker.

He quickly nodded his head in response, then turned to face the house.

"Father, it is I, Baekhyun," he said in a loud and clear voice.

"Enter," his father, the cousin of Goguryeo's King, bluntly said.

*

"Come sit," Baekhyun's father said, only his lips moving. Whatever it was on his mind, it was not going to be so pleasant.

Baekhyun lightly sat on the square mat which was symmetrical to the lines of the floor. Everything had to be perfect in his father's chamber.

"Are you seeing a certain someone these days?" the father asked to the son. It was an ordinary thing for a father to ask a son, yet it was overly surprising for Baekhyun to handle. There was no way that he could be taking interest in his son's personal life when he had ignored him for the past eighteen years. He was never interested in anything but the victory of Goguryeo.

What did he wish to know? He thought. He could see through his father's thoughts. He was up to something.

"What do you mean, father? Seeing someone? Of course not. Until Goguryeo wins this battle, how could my heart possibly fall for a mere woman?" It hurt for him to say those words. He was lying to his father. He was lying to himself. He was lying to his heart.

"Hmmm... that's fortunate. It would make things much easier."

What did he mean by fortunate? How would anything be fortunate during a conflict?

But before Baekhyun could ask for clarifications, his father spoke up:

"It has been decided for you... to get married."