Prologue

Back In Time

[ All characters and events in this fanfic, even those based on real life people, are entirely fictional. Also, my knowledge of Korean History is very limited, so I just made up the history line by using Goguryeo, Silla and Baekje. Pls ignore mistakes and enjoy!]

~659 CE, Silla~

Light was scarce in the Silla palace as the candles were snuffed out one by one. A heavy atmosphere spread throughout the stronghold as Silla and its people prepared for battle; a war; a crimson conflict with Goguryeo, its neighbouring rival kingdom directly to the north.

In the long corridors, a slightly distressed head general led her group of soldiers into a majestic room.

"Paeha (honorific), Goguryeo's army has outnumbered ours by many thousands of soldiers," Head General Park Chorong informed as she raced into the throne hall, kneeling down onto one knee in front of the red-robed Kind and the golden-dressed Queen. The followers behind her did the same, showing the respect they had toward the monarchs.

"They are preparing for battle as we speak."

After a few moments of silence, she rose to her feet and bowed ninety degrees.

"Numbers do not win battles," the Kind grunted dismissively.

Before General Chorong could reply, another voice overlapped hers.

"With all due respect, but in this battle, it will be difficult to conquer Goguryeo with the amount of soldiers we currently have, Paeha. We cannot keep recruiting untrained citizens for our army when there is already a food shortage crisis in the land. We must spare every citizen we can," Deputy General Minhyuk bluntly stated the fact which would have been preferred as unremembered, as he entered the sour atmosphere and bowed.

The King thought about this for a while with a frustrated look on his face.

"What do you have to say, General Park (Chorong)? Do you agree with General Lee (Minhyuk)?" asked the King, shifting his gaze to the young female warrior.

"I am dreading it might be so," she admitted as she lowered her head.

"Then there is no other way left," the King sighed defeatedly. Heavy silence began to overtake the room.

"Paeha, there is one possible chance of winning," a wise advisor called out from the back of the room, mingled along with the other officials. He was an elderly man; possibly in his eighties. He stepped forward from the group, everyone's gazes on him. He ignored them and fixed his gaze upon the King.

"And what could that be?" the King questioned. The room began to fill up with desperate hope.

"We could have a royal's reincarnation from more than 1000 years in the future to travel back in time and help defeat not only Goguryeo, but Baekje as well," the advisor continued and brought the Kind and his officials into a shock.

"That... is not a choice we can take," Chorong raised her voice.

"We cannot risk losing a member of the royal family."

"It is too dangerous," the other general sin the room started talking and arguing.

The Kind held up his hand for silence and the room became quiet once again.

"Please, let him finish," he said, seemingly interested.

"It will be a very dangerous procedure, and the royal member and the time-traveler may not survive. Thus, the royal member must be willing to take part, or else it will not work. Then, all hopes of winning this war will be lost," the advisor finished his speech, and the room came to a deep thought again, too busy to even notice that someone was behind the painted paper screens, listening to their conversation secretly.

"I'll do it," the listener announced breathlessly as she declared her presence, almost tearing her delicate hanbok embroidered with floral patterns of the mugunghwa.

Astonished gasps sounded throughout the room as the shocked nobles recognised the brave figure.

"Ongju (honorific for the child (female) of the King and his second (or other wives except the first) wife), this is not an easy matter," the King sighed.

"I am not willing to give up a daughter of mine. Did you not hear? If this procedure fails to work, both you and the time-traveler will not survive!"

"You will most certainly not, Ongju-nim." Chorong exclaimed.

"It is not safe, Paeha."

"It's okay, General. I know what I'm doing. I'll go," Princess Eunji said bravely.

"So what is there for me to do in order to succeed this process?" she asked quite calmly, despite the worries of the generals and the King.

"Ah, you must lay your body down (sleep) in a sacred and secret place during the whole time when your reincarnation is here." the elder spoke.

"What's so dangerous about that?" Princess Eunji questioned.

"If anyone disturbs or at the worst, kills you, then you and your reincarnation will die."

The whole room fell into silence.

"Are you sure you are willing to take the risk?" Minhyuk pressed on. A concerned look crowded his face, anxiety laced in his expression.

Princess Eunji nodded, flames of fierce determination dancing in her dark brown eyes.

"I will do it for the good of the kingdom and the rest of the country," She declared.

Everyone turned to look at the king for the final answer.

"It's decided then." The king announced, sighing.

"Eunji ongju will be the time-traveler, the savior of our country or the cause of Silla's fall."

With that announcement, the wise and elder advisor told the princess to follow him to the sacred place.

Princess Eunji nodded once, then left the room with a swish of her royal yellow robes, her golden dress hem trailing the polished oaken boards lightly beneath their feet.

After she departed, the king's voice rang out once again.

"I will trust that no one will ever tell anyone of this. This matter is to be kept private under all circumstances."

"Yes, paeha." They chorused in reply.

The two generals stood frozen with shock, staring at the monarchs as the advisors proceeded to quietly march out of the throne room.

When all the nobles had left the room, General Seungeun tore off her helmet in a mixture of frustration, worry and desperation, letting her dark brown waves tumble free. It was quite obvious that she did not agree to any of this.

"Please, paeha, at least let us go to the future to bring the ongju." General Seungeun begged. "It is simply not safe. We will go to get her and come back with her. She just cannot come and go on her own."

"Very well. You and General Lee will travel forward in time and bring the princess's reincarnation back and do everything in your power to keep her safe. Note that she will only remember everything from her world, so you must understand that she will have no idea of what is happening. You must be the ones who tell her everything that is going on." The King agreed, nodding at the two generals.

"I give you all my blessings. Be safe and do your best. Silla and Korea's future is in your hands."

[ Thank you for even reading to the end :) Please feel free to leave a comment!! ]