Post-Dinner Tension

Mansae!

The first thing they did was get beer bottles from the fridge. The first sip was refreshing and Mi Yeon soon gulped down half the bottle. She was accustomed to experimenting with alcohol with her brother, so she had gained a tolerance for beer.

"Thanks for having us over for dinner, Ji Hoon," Mi Yeon said.

"Anytime. I think my dad really liked seeing me have some friends who were girls," he replied.

Seung Cheol was guzzling his beer so quickly that he already moved onto his second. His cheeks were becoming red and it was clear that he had a low tolerance for beer.

"I remember when Tae Hyun had dinner over at my house," Seung Cheol suddenly said, slurring his words. He wasn’t looking at Mi Yeon directly, but she knew it was meant for her.

No one stopped him as he spoke.

"He always told me about how he wanted to get away from his ridiculous family."

Another swig from the bottle.

"He said his Mi Yeon wasn’t much help either."

He turned to look at Mi Yeon, at last.

"Said that if he couldn’t get away via college, he would run away. Never would’ve thought he would run away like that."

Mi Yeon felt the anger start boiling. "And what did you do to help him?"

"Doesn’t matter. You didn’t do much either."

"I was with him. I did what I could."

"You pretty much failed him, especially now that I know you're his sister."

"I can't believe you."

"You're his twin! You must have known something was up."

"I didn't, okay?!" Mi Yeon rose to her feet, her eyes bulging with frustration. "Are you saying that It’s my fault that he's dead?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Vernon said, also standing up. "Let's take a break here."

"Exactly! That's exactly what I'm saying!" Seung Cheol yelled.

Mi Yeon turned to the others, baffled. "Thanks for the invite. I'll talk to you all later." She headed for the door, put on her shoes and left the house, never looking back.

In the elevator, her eyes watered and soon enough, her make-up was smudging as the tears flowed freely. When the doors opened in the basement, Won Woo met her gaze and immediately rushed to her side.

“What happened?" He asked hurriedly. He placed his arm around her shoulder and ushered her to the car.

She shook her head. "Let's just go."

Won Woo nodded and led her into the backseat. He hurried to the front and started the engine. He glanced at her through the rearview mirror, showing his concern.

Out on the streets of Seoul, Mi Yeon composed herself and managed to cease her crying and sniffling.

"Should we go somewhere else before heading home?" Won Woo asked.

"Sure."

Soon enough, Won Woo stopped in front of a night stand that sold various foods and drinks. Won Woo led her to a small table and ordered them a bottle of soju. He poured her a shot glass and waited for her to drink.

She took the glass and tilted her neck, drinking the liquid. It burned initially but went down smoothly. He poured her another glass and she drank it with ease. This time, she poured him a glass, but he shook his head.

"Can't drink on the job."

Mi Yeon chuckled and looked at him. "Why didn’t you just take me home? That's your job, right?"

"Is it so hard to think that someone cares about you?"

"Yes, it is. As was proven tonight."

Won Woo stared at her. "Did something happen with Seung Cheol?"

Mi Yeon nodded and took another drink. "But another time for that conversation."

"You can talk to me whenever you want, you know. I don’t have to tell your father everything."

"Thanks."

They sat in silence for a while longer before heading back home. Mi Yeon's phone was lighting up constantly with calls and messages from Na Ra and Vernon. But, she ignored every one of them. She wasn’t ready to stop being angry and hurt just yet.