Heading Home

Mansae!

"Seung Cheol-ssi! Your parents are here!" Nurse Kang called out to the group hanging around the television area.

All eyes fell on Seung Cheol. He told Mi Yeon to go collect her belongings, as they wanted to leave the Ward together.

Once the pair had their bags in hand, it was time to say goodbye. Mi Yeon gave everyone her contact info and her usernames on various Social Networking Sites, with the hopes that they could catch up and keep in contact once they all left the Institution.

Na Ra gave Mi Yeon a boney but loving hug, followed by Ji Hoon and Vernon. After Seung Cheol also said his goodbyes, the two of them headed through the tall doors from whence they came.

Once the doors closed behind them, they both released a hesitant breath. Seung Cheol's parents were waiting down the hall. When they saw Mi Yeon, they recognized her right away. Mi Yeon scolded herself for not thinking this through; she really didn’t want them to see that she was there.

"Kim Mi Yeon, right?" His mother asked.

Mi Yeon nodded and greeted them.

"Are you parents here as well?" His father asked.

"They'll be right here," Mi Yeon lied, smiling. "You can go on ahead. They won't be long."

The parents nodded and took Seung Cheol's bags from his hands, leaving the two alone to say their goodbyes.

As soon as his parents were out of earshot, he pulled her towards him strongly. She buried her head in his neck, taking in his scent. She couldn’t believe that they had gotten close so soon after their rocky start. Once he pulled away, Mi Yeon noticed the redness in his eyes.

"Can I come see you by your house?" He asked.

She nodded and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. "You are welcome anytime."

He smiled at her, glad for the invitation.

"You should get going. I'm sure you're eager to get some sleep in your own bed."

"Ah, that’s for sure. But will you be okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you'll be alone."

She knew what he meant; she would be without her brother. It was what she feared most about returning home. "I'll be fine," she said, trying to convince herself internally.

He gave her one last, quick hug and turned down the hall to meet his parents. Once Mi Yeon was sure that he and his parents had left the compound, she headed to the ground floor to get a taxi.

Out on the cold streets, the breeze attacked her from all angles and she had to put her bags down on the ground to manage her hair in the wind. By the time the taxi pulled up, her hair was disheveled and she couldn’t wait to get into the warm environment of the taxi.

With her bags in the trunk and her on the warm backseat, she gave the driver the address and relaxed as he pulled away from the curb.