Everyone's Free!

Mansae!

When Mi Yeon returned home, she invited Won Woo inside to watch television with her. Apparently, her father had hired him to keep a close eye on her. Therefore, when she wasn’t going anywhere, neither was he. As he studied English literature in College, he had struggled to get employed. His father did a construction job with her father and asked him to hire Won Woo.

Mi Yeon brought her laptop from her room to the television room. She told Won Woo to find something to watch and settled in next to him on the plush, beige sofa with the laptop resting on her thighs.

When she logged on, she saw that she had received friend requests from Na Ra, Ji Hoon and Vernon. Mi Yeon gasped, realizing that this meant that they were probably released from Chilyo. She hurriedly accepted their request and Na Ra added her to a group chat with everyone, including Seung Cheol.

"Wait, is everyone free now?" Mi Yeon asked, double checking her suspicions.

"Hell yes!" Vernon replied, followed by a stream of happy emoticons.

Na Ra: When can we see each other?

Ji Hoon: Do you all want to come over for dinner at my house?

Vernon: Your dad is okay with that?

Ji Hoon: The more girls here, the better.

Na Ra: LOL!

Seung Cheol: Mi Yeon, will you be coming?

Mi Yeon: Of course.

Seung Cheol: Then I'm in.

Ji Hoon: Tomorrow night? My mom said the sooner the better.

Vernon: Sure, I'm good with that. I could use some time away from home. My mom keeps checking on me.

Mi Yeon: Tomorrow it is!

Na Ra: Ah, I'm excited!

The remainder of the conversation, they made plans to meet up during the day before the school year began. Vernon, Seung Cheol and Ji Hoon were accpeted into small colleges and Na Ra was going to take the year off to make some money working for her mother's friend. When Mi Yeon told them of her acceptance into Korea University, they congratulated her; even when she told them she got in through connections, they were still happy for her.

"Do you wanna watch this?" Won Woo asked her.

Mi Yeon had been so caught up in the conversation that she forgot that Won Woo was next to her watching television. She nodded and returned her gaze to the laptop screen.

After Ji Hoon and Vernon went offline, Mi Yeon said her goodbyes and promised to chat later tonight. She placed the laptop on the coffee table and leaned into the sofa, finally watching television with Won Woo.

One movie later, Mi Yeon's mother arrived and greeted the two of them.

"No plans today?" She asked, placing her designer handbag on the dinner table.

"We went to see Tae Hyun this morning."

Her mother nodded and made her way to the love-seat.

"Eomma, tomorrow night, I won't be home for dinner."

"Why?"

"One of my friends invited me to have dinner at his house, with some of our other friends."

She nodded, but the questions were still there. "Will Seung Cheol be there?"

"Yes."

"That's good, then. You haven't seen him this past week."

"I think we could use some time apart."

"If you think that's best." Her mother stood up and retreated to her room.

"Who's Seung Cheol?" Won Woo asked.

"He was Tae Hyun's best friend and I also met him while I was in Chilyo."

Won Woo nodded, taking in the information. "Does he like you as more than a friend?"

"I think so."

"What about you?"

"We were close when we left, but I kind of avoid him now because I want us to get through this in our own way. I don’t want to keep reminding him of my brother."

They let the silence fall upon them as the television displayed a new show. Mi Yeon found herself thinking about Seung Cheol. She was excited to see him tomorrow, but she was sure he would be angry at her for avoiding him so much. Her phone call log was filled with his number and her text messages only consisted of him, without her replies. Nevertheless, she would have to make it up to him and explain why she had been acting like that.