Moving

Fate

This is it. Even though my heart tells me not to, I know I have to. Taking a deep breath, I broke our embrace. With tears flowing on her cheeks, my mother gives peck on my left cheek. I bend to my brother's eye level, wiping his teary eyes. "Hey, don't cry. Guys shouldn't cry. How am I going to leave Mama under your care?" The 130 cm boy look at me, gripping my hand tightly. His eyes become more teary than it already is, "Don't go then. I'll do all the housework. I'll do all the dishes and wash the clothes. I'll water the flowers, I'll tidy the living room, my room, each and every part of the house. I'll be a good boy. Please don't go. Don't Jie love me anymore?" I felt sad. I don't know how to react. I wish I could stay but I think, it's my turn to sacrifice for our family. Thanks to my mother, she loosen my brother's grip from my hand, telling him how hard the situation is and how I have to do this for the family. When the little boy look at me with those big, sparkly eyes, I cupped his small face and lean closer to kiss his forehead. "I'll be back. Worry not." With that, I embrace my mother for the last time and slowly head to the plane door.

*******

The journey went smoothly. I was staring at the clouds when I felt a warmth on my left hand, making me turn. The lady beside me, or should I call my new mother, gives me a small smile while saying, "We'll visit them frequently." I nodded, smiling back at her, "Thank you, Miss Wang." You must be confused, right? Okay, I'll explain. I'm just an ordinary 16 years-old girl named QianRen, who lived in Qingdao. I am taking plane to Hong Kong to live with Mr and Miss Wang, who are now my parents. My life was a perfect one with two love birds called 'parents' and a cute little brother. Yeah, it WAS. We once live in a rather happy, wealthy family. My father was a CEO at a big company while my mother was a pretty housewife. Despite of his hectic schedule, my father always find some time to spend with his family. That was before my father got involved in a car crash on his way back from work 2 years back. To make it worst, it was also his 18th anniversary day. The sight of my mother crying was really painful. Ever since then, my mother, who was a housewife, struggles to take care of my brother and me alone. I once asked if I could work after school to help her and she forbid me to. Thanks to Miss and Mr Wang, they decided to adopt me. Also, the gave some resource for her to start a business. We met when she was robbed and I helped her by using my wushu skill. When my father once told me to learn martial arts to protect myself or maybe, protect other people. I guess it was true. Thank you, Papa. Now, I will be staying with them in Hong Kong. I'll be QianRen Wang instead of QianRen Lin.