Chapter One

Querencia

It was a sunny morning, well as sunny as London will ever be, as a small family of four made their way into King’s Cross station. The mother of the family was holding a small girl of two in her arms, while the father was busy helping their other daughter with her luggage. The family s through the swarming bodies around them, swiftly ignoring the odd glares they received because of the oversized green trunk that was placed in the trolley they were pushing.

The family finally came to a stop in front of a ticket barrier, right between platforms nine and ten. Making sure that no muggle was paying close attention to them, the eldest child of the family promptly took the trolley from her father, before she started to walk towards the barrier at a fast pace. She closed her eyes when the barrier was right in front of her, only to open them again to see a scarlet steam engine waiting next to the platform nine and three quarters. Her parents and little sister were right behind her as she moved towards the Hogwarts express.

“Have you got all your things?” Kimmi rolled her eyes at the question, her mother had asked it at least a thousand times in the past hour alone.

“I have everything mum, besides you can send me anything I missed with Scrawny.”

“But with that owl’s sense of direction it will probably take at least a month for him to get to you,” her father replied. And Kimmi couldn’t help but nod, let’s just say that Scrawny isn’t the smartest owl around. 

“Kim!” A low voice called out, and Kimmi turned around to see her classmate and friend waving at her.

“Hey Sehun,” she called back at the tall boy with silver blond hair. His face was stoic but she knew he was pleased to see her, after all he had spent the summer in Europe with his family and they had much catching up to do.

She was about to walk over to him, when the whistle of the train sounded, and Kimmi glanced at her watch to see that she had only ten more minutes left to board the train. She quickly moved forward, Sehun caught up with her half way. They managed to load their trunks in record time, before Kimmi turned to say her final goodbyes to her family.

“Be careful,” her mother said as she hugged her.

“Am I ever not?” Kimmi questioned, before she bent down to kiss her little sister.

“Yes, but you are a prefect now.” Her father said sternly, “you need to take more responsibility.”

“I will,” Kimmi muttered under her breath before she boarded the train. Both she and Sehun leaned against the open window to wave goodbye as the engines finally started.

“So you miss me?” Sehun asked cheekily after the station had disappeared from their sights.

“Yeah, yeah.” Kimmi rolled her eyes as she turned around, trunk in hand. “Let’s go find Youngjae.”

They found their other best friend in an empty compartment. He had already changed into his school robes and a bright badge with a proud ‘P’ shone on his chest.

“Hey!” He exclaimed happily as he dragged the other two in a warm hug. Youngjae had always been the most affectionate in their trio.

“Ok enough hugging,” Sehun grunted before Youngjae finally let go of them, a grin on his face.

“See you got the badge,” Sehun said, pointing to Youngjae’s chest. “Congratulations.”

“Yeah,” the other boy replied sheepishly.

“Miss goody two shoes here got the other badge,” Sehun said.

“Hey!” Kimmi protested as she tucked her trunk into the corner of the compartment. “I’m not a goody two shoes!”

“As a Slytherin, you don’t get into half the amount of trouble you should.” Sehun replied with a challenging gaze.

“I’m just cautious,” Kimmi said. “And that is a very Slytheriny trait.”

There bickering was cut short though, as the compartment door opened and Hanbin and Mimi, two fellow fifth year Slytherins, waved at them. They were both in the Slytherin quidditch team so they knew Sehun well.

“Mind if we join you?” Hanbin asked, and Sehun ushered them in.

“These two prefects will be leaving me anyway to go to their special cart, so I could use some company.” Sehun replied dramatically, only to receive several eye rolls in response.

“Talking about that, we should probably go and start our patrols.” Youngjae said and Kimmi nodded. A couple ‘see you later’s were thrown about before the two prefects finally left the compartment.

“So how have you been?” Youngjae asked as they made their way down the train.

“Good,” Kimmi replied shortly. Unlike Sehun, Youngjae had actually spent his summer in Britain and their houses were near enough, even for Scrawny’s bad sense of direction; so Kimmi had actually managed to keep in touch with her friend, thus she had nothing elese to tell him.  

They were walking around a large group of Gryffindor’s when Kimmi accidently tripped over the tip of her rope, and would have probably fallen if two strong arms hadn’t reached out and caught her just in the nick of time.  

“Careful,” a soft voice chuckled, and Kimmi looked up to see a handsome boy smiling at her. Her breath instantly caught in and she started to stutter.

“H-h-hi,” she could practically hear Youngjae face palming behind her, but she was too busy gazing into the soft brown eyes to care.

“Hey,” he replied. He gave her a once over making sure she was ok, before he waved and walked away to join his awaiting friends.

“Hey? Hey!” Kimmi was practically hyperventilating. “Youngjae he said hey!”

Youngjae shook his head at her silliness, girls. “He just said hi to be polite.”

“Are you crazy?!” She shouted, and Youngjae cringed at her loud voice. “The object of my four yearlong affection said hi to me, and you act like it’s nothing?!”

“Calm down Kim,” he replied calmly as he started to walk again, his best friend following suit. “You know he’s a Gryffindor, Gryffindor’s Quiddtich captain in fact. Plus he’s a year older than us. What do you think the chances are that Jaehyung even knows your name?!”  

Kimmi sighed as she came down from her happy haze. She had been crushing on Jaehyung since her first year at Hogwarts, and the boy had yet to notice her. Youngjae was right. She stood no chance with him.

“Why do you look so unhappy?” Kimmi looked up to see a red headed girl looking at her. She had been too busy drowning in her misery to notice that they had reached the prefects compartment.

“Hello Dia,” Kimmi replied avoiding the older girl’s question. And Dia smiled as Youngjae greeted her as well. 

“I’m glad to see that you two are our new prefects.” The year sixth year Slytherin prefect said as she led them into the compartment.

“Thanks,” Youngjae said happily and Kimmi scoffed. Look who was warning her against being too obvious about her crush… Youngjae was practically drooling over the elder girl.

The prefect compartment was larger than three normal compartments combined and Kimmi looked around to see that already a great number of seats had been occupied.  The different house colors were mixed together and Kimmi realized that no one was sitting based on their houses. The prefects were all talking happily among each other. Ever since the ‘new’ Hogwarts had been built, the school had tried to set aside the dispute between the houses. Focusing more on the unity of the school as a whole. The result had been that the reduction of the hostility and rivalry that had been present before. Sure Slytherin’s were still somewhat feared, and Gryffindor and Slytherin were anything but best chums… yet things had gotten a lot better.

“So,” Dia said, bringing Kimmi out of her thoughts. “Are you two nervous about your responsibilities?” Kimmi and Youngjae both gave a slight nod. “As your senior I’m always here to help you. Don’t hesitate to ask me anything. Oh, and you can also ask the other sixth year prefect, Mark.” Dia turned around to look at a dark haired boy who was sitting at a window seat by himself. His head was turned away from the other people in the cart and he seemed to be in deep thought.

“M-m-mark Tuan?” Youngjae stuttered, and Kimmi visibly shuddered beside him.

There wasn’t a soul in Hogwarts that didn’t know about Mark, or more importantly his family. The Tuans were known to be an old, powerful family in the magical world. They had managed to keep their bloodline pure, a matter that hardly anyone paid attention to anymore, and they were very proud of themselves for it. Each member of their family had been placed into Slytherin and it was a rumor that they had been one of the families to support Voldemort. The youngest person in this long line of great, and dare we say dark, wizards was Mark. The boy had joined Hogwarts as the first Tuan to do so after Voldemort’s downfall. The sorting hat had been quick to place him in Slytherin, and whispers had been immediately started that he was the next dark wizard to come. It didn’t help that the boy was always mysteriously quiet, very handsome and the best student in ‘Defense against the dark arts’ that Hogwarts had seen for years. They were calling him the next Tom Riddle; thus Mark Tuan was a name that every student feared, even his fellow Slytherins.

“No thanks,” Youngjae squeaked, finally tearing his eyes away from the older boy. “I think we can manage fine by ourselves.”

Dia nodded at his words, to be quite honest, she was rather scared of her fellow prefect as well, even if he was her best friend’s cousin. She refrained from going to the Tuan boy, unless it was absolutely necessary.  

“I’m going over to my friends,” Dia said as she nodded her head towards a group of older looking prefects. She walked away, leaving Younjae and Kimmi standing awkwardly by the door.

“Why is he glaring at us?!”  Youngjae whispered, causing Kimmi to lift her head and notice that Mark Tuan was indeed looking at them. She wouldn’t really call it glaring, his cold gaze was too void of emotion to be considered a glare.

“Let’s just go and sit down,” Kimmi muttered as she took Youngjae’s sleeve and tugged him after her to a seat, trying to ignore the heavy stare she could still feel on her back.

 

“Why is air a lot like ?” a hushed voice asked. “Because it’s no big deal unless you’re not getting any!” A loud fit of laughter followed, and Seong Yeon rolled her eyes as she opened the compartment door. All the heads turned to her, and she raised an eyebrow in response, looking at the still laughing boy.

“Seriously Jackson, your hyena laugh can be heard from the other side of the train.” The older girl glared at the blond haired boy. “What are you even laughing about?!”

Jackson lifted the book in his hands, but was too busy trying to stifle his giggles to say anything.

“It’s a book he bought from a muggle bookstore. It’s called a joke book, or something.” Jaebum, Jackson’s best friend, answered for him.    

“Oh,” Yeon replied, realization dawning on her that her younger friend was trying to tell a joke. Being a half blood, she of course knew what joke books were… and she also knew they were way out of date. “Why would you buy a book for that? You could’ve just gotten it from the internet.”

Her statement was met with a lot of ‘what?’s and confused looks. Of course, her friends could hardly understand what a joke book was, what would they know about the internet?!

“Never mind,” she mumbled as she turned to look at Jaebum. “Come on new prefect. I should take you to the prefect’s compartment.” Jaebum nodded and walked towards her. “Where’s Seulyi?” Yeon suddenly asked, realizing that the other year five Gryffindor prefect wasn’t around.

“She left for the prefect’s compartment already with Elea,” a soft voice replied, and Yeon turned around to see Jinyoung. The fifth year Ravenclaw was sitting in the seat next to Jackson, a bright badge evident on his school robes.

“They made you a prefect?” Yeon asked, her voice laced with sarcasm. “Who in their right mind would do that?”

“The same person that made you a prefect last year.”

“Hey!” Yeon shouted, pointing a finger at Jinyoung. “I’m a year older than you! Show some respect you little brat!”

I’m a prefect now as well,” the Ravenclaw smirked at her. “You can no longer bully me into respecting you by threating to take away house points from Ravenclaw.”

His words left Yeon flabbergasted. Sensing that the older girl’s temper was rising, and that his best friend was a short step away from getting a hell of a hex thrown at him; Jaebum was quick to stand and position himself between the two.  

“Come on, we need to get to the prefects compartment. Let’s go.” He was quick to grab the sleeves of each of his friends as he dragged them out the door. He turned around just once. “Will you be ok Jackson?”

Said boy looked up from his book and nodded. “Don’t worry about me, Jaehyung wants the whole quidditch team to assemble so he can talk about tactics.” Jackson rolled his eyes. Jae was always far too intense with his responsibilities but he was a great captain, so none of the team could go against him.

Jaebum nodded as he dragged their friends out the door, and Jackson finally got up to look for Jongin, his fellow teammate, so they could start dreaming about a painful way to kill Jae…

 

“So do we go left or right?” the Gryffindor girl asked, only to get a head shaking from her companion.

“I can’t believe we got lost in a train! How did we manage to do that?!” Elea cried at loud, only to get a confused look from Seulyi.

“It’s a magical train?”

“Of course, what was I thinking? I shouldn’t have expected any better from a Gryffindor.” Elea muttered under her breath.

“Hey!” Seulyi’s protest was cut short though as they felt a laughing presence behind them.   

“Need help you two?”

“Oh Myungsoo!” Elea cried out once she saw her senior. “Thank God, are you on your way to the prefects' lounge? Can you take us with you?”

“Sure, Hyunmi already left without me… probably in a rush to see her boyfriend.” the older boy laughed ruffling the girl’s hair, only to feel a fiery gaze on him.

“Let’s go.” The other girl, who Myungsoo was pretty sure he had never seen before, said coldly. Before she turned her back on the Ravenclaw pair.

“Who is she? Did I do something wrong?”

“A Gryffindor,” Elea muttered, as if that should be enough of an answer.

 

“Why is he glaring holes into those two?” Heejin asked her cousin Hyunmi, and the other girl turned to see what was going on.

“You mean Mark?” the Ravenclaw prefect asked. “Who’s he staring at? The new Sytherin prefects?”

“Mark Tuan? You mean your evil cousin?” Woohyun, the sixth year Gryffindor prefect who also happened to be Hyunmi’s boyfriend, asked as he took a seat beside her.

“Hey! Nobody talks about my family like that. Not even you!” Hyunmi shouted as she gave him a glare, though combined with her petite body, it wasn’t all that menacing.

“Aww baby, don’t be like this. I caramel macchiato you!” Woohun sent her a heart and hyunmi blushed.

“Uuugh, too much cheesiness guys.” Heejin grumbled as she got up and moved away from the happy couple. There was now moochy sounds coming from behind her, and Heejin didn’t want to think what those sounds could mean. “My innocence.” She muttered as she slid into the seat beside Minseok, her fellow Hufflepuff prefect and best friend.

“They drove you away again?” he chuckled as he made room for her.

“Love is gross.” She replied.

“And this is coming from a Hufflepuff?” He asked, eyebrows raised.

“Ugh, it’s just too mushy.” She cringed.

“Maybe you feel that way because you haven’t found your one yet?” He asked in a small voice.

“What?” Heejin questioned, not quite hearing what he had said.

“Nothing.”

 

“I can’t believe we’re patrolling the train already!” Hoseok whined, and Sohee could only nod in agreement.

“Heejin and Minseok said that they’re too busy and that it’s our responsibility as the new Hufflepuff prefects… those slackers.” Sohee grumbled.

“Yah!” The boy was suddenly distracted as his eyes fell open a couple of his fellow housemates. His eyes narrowed as the two turned around and he saw that they were exactly who he had thought.

“No flirting is allowed on this train.” He blurted out, without even realizing what he was saying.

“We’re just talking.” Jimin told the other boy, and the younger girl beside him was quick to nod her head.

“Chanyeol called for a quiddtich team meeting. Said something about ‘showing that little Jae what us Huffs are made of’.” Pika, the year four girl, said.

“I don’t care.” Hoseok replied. Still glaring at the cowering two. “There should be at least a three meter distance between you at all times.”  

The other three Huffs looked at him like he was mad. “What-” he stared to ask, but was cut off as Sohee grabbed his arm and dragged him away. Sending Jimin and Pika an apologetic look as she passed them.

“Real smooth Hopie, real smooth.” She muttered with an eye roll.

 

“The Boo has entered da house!” Seungkwan, the mighty Gryffindor Chaser, yelled dramatically as he slid open the door and stepped in. His entrance was met with several eye rolls and sighs.

“Really Seungkwan?” His twin sister, Hyesun asked clearly unimpressed.

“Argh, you guys are no fun!” Seungkwan said pouting as he took the seat beside his best friend, Jungook.

He glanced at the Slytherin pair opposite them; his sister and her best friend, Yugyeom.  They were busy playing a game of wizardry chess, and if Hye’s anxious look was anything to go by… his sister was obviously loosing, again.

“Make your move little kid,” Yugyeom muttered, eyes fixed on the chess board to make sure that Hye wouldn’t cheat… it wouldn’t be her first time, she was a Boo after all; and a Slytherin Boo at that.  

“Knight to… Knight to E4?” she asked rather than told her chess piece.

“Are you crazy?!” the knight asked, obviously sensing her distress. “Don’t send me there! You’re going to kill us all.”

“Don’t you defy me!” She replied, voice a little steadier. “Knight to E4.”

Her knight moved and was immediately taken out by Yugyeom’s pawn… by a pawn.

“Bloody murderer!” Her king shouted at her. “I’m not listening to you anymore.”

Hye looked like she was about to break out into an anxiety attack. She turned to look at her brother for help, but stopped when a black furry ball jumped onto the seat next to her and sent all the chess pieces flying, running for cover.

“What the?!” Yugyeom looked up to see Midnight, Jungkook’s black cat, curling up on what had been their chess board.

“Control your cat Jeon!” Yugyeom grumbled. The Gryffindor smiled apologetically. Yugyeom turned his head and didn’t notice the silent ‘thank you’ Hye mouthed to Jungkook, but the other boy did; and he sent a wink in response.

 

“So how does it feel to be the head boy and girl?” Hyunmi asked excitedly as all the prefects (both sixth years and fifth years) sat around Sunggyu and Yerin, the head boy and head girl.      

“Why? Are you already planning about how you and Prince Cheesy are going to take their title next year?” Myungsoo teased his fellow prefect, and Hyunmi just gave him a slight shove.

“Would it be wrong that I want the head girl status to be kept in our house?” the girl asked. “Right Yerin?”

“Hey we Slytherins have our chances too!” Dia protested, only to realize that the other Slytherin in her ‘we’ was still sitting alone near the window; completely ignoring everyone else per usual. “Well at least we have a shot at the head girl title.”

“Don’t forget the Huffs!” Heejin was quick to add.

And Yerin nodded as she ruffled her younger brother’s head. “I’ll be rooting for my baby brother next year. Sorry Myungsoo, my family comes first before my house.”

“I’m not a baby!” Minseok said, puffing out his cheeks.

“Sure you’re not Minnie.”

“Sorry to say but we all know that either the head girl or boy, or both of them, should be from Gryffindor!” Sunggyu finally spoke up. Looking to Woohyun and Yeon, his successors. “I’m counting on you two.”

“Enough of this talk,” Minseok finally said. Not wanting things to get out of hand and for the friendly rivalry between the houses to turn into something more. “There’s still a year to go before we become year sevens. For now let’s just congratulate Yerin and Sunggyu! Our new Head Boy and Head Girl.” Everyone else was quick to join him in the congratulating, even the year five prefects who seemed a little confused.

 

After a few hours the long ride finally came to an end, and the Hogwarts castle could vaguely be seen from the station they had stopped at.

“Firs’-years, this way. Firs’-years.” A loud gruff voice yelled, and the first years stood in awe, looking at the giant man that was calling them. “Firs’-years follow me.”

“Hello professor,” a few older kids yelled as they passed Hagrid, and the half giant gave them a wide smile in response.

He’s a professor?” one of the first years asked a kid next to him timidly. “We’re doomed.”

Meanwhile the older students were heading towards the carriages that would take them to the castle. Kimmi and Youngjae were trying to find Sehun and get into a carriage, when Hagrid’s voice stopped them.

“Oy yer lot shouldn’t get on them carriages.” He said. “The headmistress’ wants yer in her office. All sixteen prefects an’ the head boy an’ girl.”

“But, why?” Yerin asked, utterly confused.

“Tis importan’” came the short reply before Hagrid had turned to show the first years to the boats.

“What could be so important that the Headmistress wants to see us all before the sorting ceremony?” Sunggyu asked, voice laced with worry as he looked at the faces that were as equally shocked as his.

“I don’t know…”

A/N: Well this was long for an intro! 8 pages -_- At first I wanted to give everyone long, equal scenes but after the second scene I realized I have too many characters so that’s not possible. I’m sorry if some characters had only little features, I will include them more in the upcoming chapters. Also it’s been so long since I read the Harry Potter books, I tried to do some research but I’m sorry if any facts were written wrong >.< I will also be adding a characters’ page later since I realize that the age and houses of everyone must be confusing. So what do you guys think about the first chapter? Any comments? :3