Check In

Moonlight Hotel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

III

Wendy only raises her eyebrows. The Irene yesterday and the Irene today is too different. The Irene yesterday was warm, comforting, and adorable. The Irene today is back to being feisty and rather cold. Wendy thought they were already friends, since Irene had previously allowed Wendy to call her Joohyun. Wendy now thinks that she might have thought wrongly. Wendy only stares at Irene, wondering if she did anything wrong. Irene only glares back and Wendy really thinks she’s more adorable than scary.

“Is something wrong, Joohyun?”

“Absolutely nothing, Wendy.”

Irene crosses her arms and Wendy knows there’s absolutely something wrong. Irene has reverted back to calling her Wendy instead of Seungwan. One step forward, two steps back. Wendy is starting to think she might never gain traction with Irene. But Wendy doesn’t wish to start a row here, not when Yerim is with her, so she shrugs and pretends nothing is wrong.

“I would like to book a suite.”

Yerim interrupts, “No, no. A single room is fine.”

Wendy frowns, “It’s okay, Yerim, I’ll pay.”

“No, it’s too big. I’m living alone anyway. I’ll just get the single room.”

“Or you could move in with me?” Wendy suggests.

There’s a bang and Wendy turns to locate the source of the noise. Irene merely picks up the thick, black file from the ground.

“Sorry. Dropped a file,” Irene apologizes like she doesn’t mean it.

Wendy raises a brow at this and is about to question Irene when Yerim pipes up.

“Nah, don’t wanna bother you too much. I’ll just get the single room. Thanks.”

Irene s a sheet of paper into Yerim’s hands, “Fill in the form with your details. Thanks.”

Yerim quickly fills in the form and hands in back to Irene, who snatches it away. Wendy frowns and fishes out her phone to add a new assignment to her to-do-list: Fix Joohyun Irene’s attitude. Irene types furiously, nearly smashing the keyboard with her hands. She slams the card on the counter and turns away without a word. Wendy clicks a tongue disapprovingly. She’s so close to confronting the receptionist but Yerim pulls her away, towards the elevators.

“So, tell me, why is the heir to S Hotel getting bullied by a receptionist?” Yerim asks, grinning.

“She’s not just a receptionist. Her name’s Irene.”

“Okay. Why are you getting bullied by Miss Irene?”

Wendy sighs at the thought of Irene, “She doesn’t know I’m taking over the hotel soon. I’m disguised as a VIP to observe the hotel for a week.”

“Wow, so little miss heiress doesn’t mind getting pushed around?”

“Don’t call me that.” Wendy swats Yerim’s arm. “We were fine yesterday. I don’t know why she acted so weirdly just now.”

Yerim notices the downcast look on Wendy’s face. She nudges Wendy gently.

“Go find out then.”

“But-”

“I’ll be fine alone. Don’t worry.”

“Right. Where’s your luggage by the way?”

“You only ask now? Irene must have riled you up.”

The statement only earns Yerim another swat from Wendy.

“Shut up.”

“Anyway, they’re at a friend’s house. I parked them there since I was really eager to meet you and I didn’t expect you to force me to stay at your hotel.”

“Are you getting them later?”

“Yup. I’ll tell her to deliver my luggage here. She has a car anyway. Might as well use it.”

The elevator opens only then and Yerim persuades Wendy to go to Irene.

“You sure you’ll be okay?” Wendy asks worriedly.

“Yup. You don’t have to babysit me just cause I’m a few months younger,” Yerim grumbles.

“Fine!” Wendy surrenders. “Leave me to the crocodiles.”

“Crocodiles? Irene’s far from a crocodile. Now shoo!”

Yerim enters the lift and the lift doors close. Wendy can only trudge back to the lobby, hesitant and reluctant to look for Irene. Maybe she should let Irene cool off first…

Her phone beeps and Wendy sees a message from Yerim.

Yerim: Don’t try to escape! Be a good girl and look for Irene!

Yerim knows Wendy like the back of her hand and Wendy knows there’s no escaping this one. To be honest, Wendy isn’t exactly sure why a receptionist bothers her so much. She’s here to observe the hotel but Irene is a complete distraction. (Wendy hates to admit it but Irene is a welcome distraction.)

Wendy approaches the front desk with caution. Irene notices anyway but she busies herself with Seulgi. She very much prefers talking to Seulgi about pikachus to talking to Wendy.

“Excuse me.” Wendy clears , gaining the attention of the two receptionists.

Wendy glances at the other receptionist’s name tag. Kang Seulgi.

“Yes, Miss?” Seulgi asks.

“Miss Kang, may I please steal away Miss Bae for a while?”

Seulgi sniggers and nods her head rapidly. Irene glares at Seulgi, shooting daggers with her eyes before reluctantly following Wendy. Wendy leads her to a secluded corner of the lobby.

“I can’t talk for long.” Irene sighs like she hates being

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter