All Over Again

Moonlight Hotel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

XI

Wendy hates golf with a vengeance. While it requires skill, Wendy still regards it as a lazy sport due to the exclusion of any physical exertion other than the arm. (There are golf carts.) It isn’t just the sport itself she dislikes; it’s more of the company. Golf is always played with business partners – usually rich, middle-aged men who would very much prefer polygamy to sticking with their wives for the rest of their lives.

The man with her is a business associate and he suggested talking over golf. If it doesn’t involve business, Wendy knows she won’t spend a second longer in this dreaded place. Everything about the country club spells rich. Even though it’s a world Wendy is used to, it’s not a world she is comfortable in.

The golf club cuts through the air, creating a swishing noise. The man stays in position after his swing, watching the ball fly. It lands a good distance away and the man grins, turning towards Wendy swiftly.

“Your turn, Miss Son.”

Wendy brings the club nearer to the ball, mock swinging it a few times to warm up. The man just watches from the side, a hand his chin. She swings the club, accurately hitting the ball. It lands a few inches short from the ball the man hit previously.

“You seem a bit out of touch today,” the man comments, folding his arms.

Wendy fixes a courteous smile, slotting the club into her bag, “It has been a while.”

The two make their way to a golf cart, driving to another area. The cart soon stops and Wendy steps out of the cart gracefully, moving towards the spot where their golf balls are.

“So, did you think about that business arrangement?” The man starts, not bothering to take his club out.

“I’ve gone through the contract. There’s nothing I am dissatisfied with. Shall I expect to hear from you again soon?”

“That was what I wanted to talk about. There is another term that we want to add to the contract.”

“Go on.”

“Profits to be split fifty-fifty.”

“I don’t think I can accept those terms, Mr Lee.”

“Take some time to consider, Miss Son. You’re still a young woman.”

“I do not think age is an accurate indicator of maturity or intelligence, Mr Lee. Accepting your terms would mean my employees work more for less and I don’t think any company leader would want that.”

“Come on Miss Son. You and I both know this is the way a world driven by consumerism works. Exploitation of the poorest is necessary. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. This is beneficial for both of us.”

“Is that why you pay young women to visit you whenever your wife is on holiday?” Wendy blurts.

“You-”

“The deal is off. I cannot work with people who lack morals.”

“You’ll regret this. This will be the reason for your downfall.”

“I have heard that too many times. You’re not in a position to say that when your company’s stocks are dropping as we speak. You need this deal much more than I do, and even if you beg, I will never sign a contract with your company, not when you’re heading it.”

Wendy slides the golf club into the bag and leaves, driving the golf cart back. She calls for Sooyoung and she appears with a car, driving Wendy back to the hotel they were temporarily residing in.

“I take it didn’t go well?”

“It didn’t,” Wendy said curtly, marching back to her hotel room with Sooyoung following her.

“What did he want?”

“A fifty-fifty profit split.”

“I see.”

“This was a wasted trip.”

“Shall I excuse myself?”

“Can you be Sooyoung instead of Manager Park now?”

“Of course, Wendy.”

They reach Wendy’s hotel room and they decide to settle on the sofa. Sooyoung turns on the television but mutes it, somehow wanting to give some form of life to the room. Wendy grabs two cans of beers from the mini-fridge before handing one to Sooyoung. The can opens with a click and she sips it, contorting her face at the bitterness of the alcohol.

“You should drink something else if you don’t like beer,” Sooyoung comments, noting the scrunched up facial expression of the CEO.

“The bitterness seems only appropriate right now.”

“Suit yourself. So why does the boss require Sooyoung the friend to make an appearance?”

“I need some advice.”

“Oh, really?”

“For a friend,” Wendy clarifies, waving to dismiss the questioning look on Sooyoung’s face.

“Okay, shoot.”

“To cut things short, I have a friend who’s interested in someone. The problem is, the person she’s interested in is an employee under her. So what’s your take on this?”

Sooyoung stays unbearably silent, lips pressed into a thin line. Wendy blinks, taking a sip of beer while awaiting her answer. She scans Sooyoung’s face while doing so, eyes peeking at the latter. The silence unnerves Wendy, especially since the usually friendly Manager looks more sombre and solemn. She sinks her nails into her palm out of habit, chewing on her bottom lip. The

 television flares in the background but Wendy takes no notice of it, eyes never leaving Sooyoung.

It takes a while until Sooyoung finally finishes contemplating her response, “It depends.”

Wendy suddenly has the urge to smash her face against a pillow. She inhales deeply, trying to resist the temptation to smack Sooyoung’s forehead.

“You took so long to think only to come up with that?” Wendy asks in disbelief.

A grin appears on Sooyoung’s face before melting into a more serious expression, “That’s because it really depends.”

“On what?” Wendy is quite certain she sounds exasperated.

“On how much your friend loves the other person.”

“I don’t know, but she said she feels empty without the other person,” Wendy shrugs, averting her eyes.

“I think your friend needs to find out just how much she likes this other person. Is that other person worth it? It’s not something you can solve for your friend. She needs to solve it herself.”

“I see…” Wendy sighs, hanging her head low.

Sooyoung pats the crown of her head twice, even ruffling it a little. When Wendy looks up, she is greeted with an encouraging smile which leaves her feeling a little less raw.

“I mean, if your friend can separate her work and personal life, why not give it a try? If she shows no bias at all, I don’t see why she can’t date. Everyone has roles to play in life – daughter, friend or worker. It’s all a matter of dividing them. Like how I’m playing the role of a friend right now but tomorrow I’ll be Manager Park instead, right?”

“You make it sound so easy,” Wendy chuckles weakly.

“That’s because it is.”

“I guess.”

“Hey, have some faith in your friend. I think she’s capable of making the right decision for herself. Trust her.”

Sooyoung smiles – it’s not a wide one, but it’s one that reaches her eyes. There’s a certain look in her eyes, a look of understanding and Wendy feels that Sooyoung might know more than she lets on. Somehow, it feels like Sooyoung’s words are directed at her.

Trust yourself.

Warmth blooms in her chest and she feels a surge of gratitude for Sooyoung. She only beams and hopes that the sincerity of her words would reach Sooyoung.

“Thank you.”

///

The world is spinning when Irene wakes up.

There’s a dull ache that gradually makes its presence known. It turns into a constant pounding that makes Irene’s hand fly to her temple, massaging it in a futile attempt to make the headache go away. She squeezes her eyes shut, holding her head in her hands. The hammering in her head is stubborn and persistent enough to make Irene groan. Her senses feel rather dulled as she sits up in bed, her head feeling as heavy as a block of steel. She barely manages to open her eyes, needing to squint before her blurry vision focuses into clarity.

There is a glass of water and two tablets situated on her bed side table, accompanied with a yellow sticky note. The brightness of the yellow post-it makes Irene cringe as she picks it up.

Your head must be in real pain lol. Good luck dealing with that lol. Do remember to thank your amazing friend who prepared painkillers beforehand. Aren’t you glad you have such a great friend?

Cheers! (Pun not intended lol)

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter