Last day together

Time

She didn’t sleep a lot that night, half of the night, she was observing him, her watch had indicated another 12 hours, 12 hours more, they will be forever separated and never met again, a tear slid down her face. She didn’t know how she going to endure the separation.

She saw him turned, she quickly turned her back, she didn’t want him to see her tears. She heard him get up and entered the washroom. She quickly dried her tears. Her watch vibrated again. She wanted to throw away the watch and forgot about the time travel thing, but she knew he had to go back, back to complete what he needed to do. To trap him here, it would be the cruellest thing she could do. “Maybe, maybe he didn’t want to go back” she wishful thought, she would ask him, she decided, to give herself a chance.

He noticed her mood was down, he guessed their parting was near. He wished he could stay with her here or anywhere, but he had to finish his work and what about his poor mother. He couldn’t stay, his only reason, his only reason didn’t suffice. He was just been selfish. He could sense the love that had grew between both of them but this love couldn’t suffice that humanity would be destroyed by they both not returning. She had said so herself.  The only thing he could help is not to rub salt into her wound.

She didn’t want to go out today, she wanted him all by herself. They ate something for breakfast, and went back to the hostel. She made an excuse saying she felt sick. He had looked worried at first, then he looked understood. She hugged him when they are in the hostel. She needed to feel his warmth and she needed to remember all these. He hugged her back. He needed to remember how she felt, he needed her warmth. She felt her tears threatening to fall, she had to break up the embrace and she murmured an excuse and disappear into the washroom. A tear rolled down his eyes, he quickly wiped it away. A man cannot cry.

She emerged, they needed to check out from the hostel. She packed her belongings. “Let’s go to the market, it should be really fun” she tried to sound cheerful. He reached out and held her hands, he didn’t want to let go from this minute. He needed to know he ever met her and held her in his arms. He padded the photo in his pocket.

They reached the market, its was different from the markets from their time, but it was as busy, as noisy. They wandered down the busy isles of hawkers, he had held her closed. Too many people was his excuse.

She didn’t bother noticing other people, she only had eyes for him. She wanted to treat him something good before she finally say goodbye to him. She didn’t know what else she could do. “Let’s go have a feast, there should some restaurants selling traditional Korean dishes.”

“A simple meal will do” he said. He would be happy to eat only sweet potatoes if she was by his side.

“No, you should try and tell me is it different from your time” she insisted.

She led him to a restaurant and they sat down to have the traditional feast. The table was covered with him but neither of them had the appetite to eat. He took a piece of the food and started to feed her. She ate the food, it was from him, she wanted to finish it. She also picked up a piece and fed him. They ended up eating everything they were fed.

They took their final stroll on the streets, feeling the afternoon sun.

“The sun is so warmth here.” She said. “My sun was colder”

“Yeah, the sun is warm.” He agreed. But her hands are warmer he thought. He didn’t want to let go of her hands.

She felt her watch vibrated non stop. Another 2 hours, they have to hurry back to the school, they need to prepare for their return. She looked at him, her eyes filled with sorrow. “It’s time to go back”

He tried to sound happy. “That’s great, the king should be anxiously waiting for my return. Let’s go”

She sighed, she knew he wanted to go back but his display of eagerness did hurt her a bit, but she saw the eagerness didn’t reach his eyes. His eyes were filled with desperateness.