Second day together

Time

He woke up first in the morning, wondering where he was, the surrounding was unfamiliar. Then he remembered his adventure yesterday. He sat up and saw that Ji Hyo was still sleeping. He studied the sleeping quietly, something he didn’t dare to do yesterday.

Her hair was not done up like the women he saw, it was just tied up in a simple fashion, making her heart shape face seem even smaller. Her eyes were big but her eye brows were slim and long. Her nose was small and shapely, was the prettiest pink in colour. He could felt his cheeks starting to burn, this seemed inappropriate for him to study her in such detail. He averted his eyes and went to the washroom to wash his face.

He remembered Ji Hyo showing him how to work the tap. He had been amazed at the water running out of the taps, it was not bad living like now, everything was so convenient. He took a drink out of the bottles of water Ji Hyo bought, it tasted so clean and refreshing, not like water he was used to be drinking. Ji Hyo had told him that the water from the tap could not be consumed but he had tasted it, it had tasted good too. But then, Ji Hyo was more familiar here then he was.

He was starting to wonder when she would wake up, there was nothing really he can do in the small room. Ji Hyo opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling, she wanted to go back to sleep but she remembered Jong Kook. She sat up and saw him sitting on the floor looking bored.

“Morning,” she greeted him.

“Morning” He said.

“Today, we will go to a few more places to observe couples.” She told him of her plan. He nodded. “Let’s have breakfast and maybe we can observe a few pair of couples in action.”

They arrived at a sandwich shop and she bought them a sandwich each. They sat down on a bench near the shop. A few couples walked past them, she noticed again these couples doesn’t look very much in love, she was disappointed.

Just then, an old couple walked past, the old gentleman was holding the old lady’s hand. Their steps were steady and slowed. The old lady seemed to have trouble walking and the old gentleman made sure she was ok. They stopped in front of the sandwich shop and bought a sandwich. They sat down beside Jong Kook and Ji Hyo. The old gentleman opened the sandwich and offered the first mouth to the old lady. She took a bite and gently pushed the sandwich towards the gentleman’s mouth. They continue feed each other, eating their sandwich slowly. After finishing the sandwich, the gentleman took a warm water flask and poured them a cup of tea which they shared. Only after they are done with their breakfast, they continued onwards with their journey holding their hands.

Jong Kook envied the relationship and he can see Ji Hyo too. She had found her first couple.

Ji Hyo decided to take the subway, they rode aimlessly, settling down at a corner and observing people. Jong Kook put a protective arm around her when they were too many people in the train. It was like a knight trying to protect his princess. She felt safe under his care. That subway ride was a disappointment. They escaped the train ride to have some lunch.

“Where’s next” asked Jong Kook, after their lunch. Food here tasted strange, it was tasty but yet felt horrible. It lacked the real food taste, thought Jong Kook. He was getting used to this era.

“I heard the desserts shop seemed like a good place. Let’s hope it lived up to expectation.” Ji Hyo wished. Of course, if nothing happened, at least she had some of the sweet treat. They sat down and she ordered warm chocolate brownie with ice cream. She noticed a few pairs of couple scattered around the shops, but the couples are all playing with the handphone, she noted with disgust.

She took a bite of the brownie , it tasted sweet and without thinking, she digged a mouth of it and shoved into Jong Kook's mouth. The cold ice cream sent a strange sensation down his throat, sweet and cold. Jong Kook face changed to disgust, he had dislike sweet things and he was also shocked by the intimacy she shown. He knew she didn’t mean anything but such an action had caused his heart to work overtime. “Jong Kook, get a hold of yourself. She isn’t your lady” Jong Kook thought.

She laughed when she saw his face changed, he was a cute and adorable man. Those couple had been expressionless but the man opposite her had shown more feelings than all the men in shop combined. She saw that a bit of the ice cream had stuck on his lips, she fought the urge to it clean. It would have totally freaked him out. “Well, it seems there doesn’t have anything interesting also.  These people are not helping with my research. Where the data did go wrong? I saw there a lot of drama describing the love story.” She wondered out loud.

“What’s a drama” he asked.

“A drama, a drama is where actors and actress act based on scripts” she answered him.

“Scripts? Doesn’t it mean it not real?” he queried again.

Well, he caught her there. “Theroically, it did seem so, but the scripts writers must have gotten their ideas somewhere” she argued.

Jong Kook looked at her unbelievably, for that, he was stuck here, he groaned. “Ji Hyo, I think there is still a difference between show and real life. I don’t live in this era and I also know.” He tried to persuade her to discontinue her research.

“But you saw the old lady and gentleman, there are still real couples around” she insisted.

Jong Kook didn’t mind staying behind with Ji Hyo, even for one minute, he felt happiness. He was shocked at his thought. What was wrong with him, he wondered. “Where’s next?” he asked again.

“Let’s go back han gang, I don’t believe there’s no love stories there” she made up her mind.

“But we was there yesterday and there’s no love stories there” Jong Kook said.

“Well, we need to wait longer then”

“There are no other places?” he asked.

“I don’t know, a lot of the dramas happened there.”

Jong Kook felt like slapping his forehead. This girl's head is full of dramas. He sighed, he couldn’t suggested a place too. Wait … how about she do some more research on those dramas.

“Is there anywhere you can watch the dramas and perhaps they can give you some inspiration on the romantic spots?” he suggested.

“Wah ! what a great idea, why I didn’t think of that” Ji Hyo agreed. They bought some take away food and went back to the hostel.

Ji Hyo on the TV, Jong Kook was amazed by the images of real people in the boxes, his eyes were glued to the TV. Ji Hyo was busied flipping thought the different channels to take note of romantic places. She would visit these places tomorrow. She had only six more days left. She stole a glance at the man beside her, six more days left with him.

After 2 hours of intense research, she was bored, from the look on his face, him too. She turned of the TV and stretched herself. "Tell me about your era" she started the conversation.

"My era, nothing much, things are less convenient. People are less busy. I am trying to make the country better, the new king is a wise one." He told her what she wanted to know.

"King Sejong, yeah he was a good king. Did he ever like get angry?" She asked.

He laughed, a hearty laugh. She thought I could get used to that. "Which king never get angry? But for good reasons, so I guess it's ok. How about the king where you are from" he was curious.

" There's no king for a very long time. We voted who we want. Anyway, I guess both system had its flawed." She answered.  This is a boring topic so she decided to change topic. "Are the women pretty?"

"They? No idea. I seldom take a good look at them." He said.

She looked at him curiously. He sure is unique. "You are quite young to archive such a high rank. You like at least a captain." 

"Let's just say I was born at the right time. The king need the right talent and I have the right skills. I was there at the right time and my skills were appreciated. Sometimes I think I am really lucky." This was the most he had disclosed about himself. "What your occupation?"

She was amazed he asked this question. Women in his era either served as lowly appointment or as housewife. He read her thoughts, "TV.” Fast learner, she thought. "Well, I am going to be a history professor. I just had a few more things I need to sort out for my research. I love history, but more in the 21st century. Although the time is nearer, a fire had destroyed many of its record. We are trying to piece back the pieces."

He nodded. That make better sense. "Love? Why the interest? Please don't tell me it because of these dramas?" 

She blushed. He was head on. From her eyes, he saw the answer. "Well, haven't you been disappointed?" he pointed out a fact. 

Her eyes flared with determination, "I would be able to prove the existence of love in this century."

The night had deepened and both of them retired to sleep.