Chapter 9

Countryside Life

Hyomin observed the sleeping girl beside her. This will be her last morning waking up next to Jiyeon before the girl going back to Seoul. She caressed the girl’s face and decide to wake her up.

 

“Hey wake up” Hyomin softly shook Jiyeon’s arm that tightly hugging her.

 

“You haven’t packed your things” Hyomin whisper to Jiyeon.

 

Jiyeon tighten the hug refused to get up.

 

“Hey, your bus is this afternoon” Hyomin shook Jiyeon’s arm again.

 

“I don’t want to go back” Jiyeon mumbles with her face buried on Hyomin’s arm.

 

“Don’t be like this, Jiyeon ah. Let’s get up” Hyomin tried to get up. Jiyeon finally loosen the hug and get up.

 

Jiyeon is about to hug Hyomin again but stop when her eyes spotted red mark on Hyomin’s neck. She take a closer look.

 

“Did I made that?” Jiyeon gasp loudly in awe and pointed at Hyomin’s neck.

 

“What?” Hyomin touched her neck. Jiyeon just giggles excitedly and brought Hyomin to stand in front of mirror.

 

“Yahhh Jiyeon ah!! Look at what you’ve done” Hyomin touched the red mark on her neck and sigh. Jiyeon can be something sometime. How is she going to hide the mark left by Jiyeon? Luckily Jiyeon didn’t go any further than that last night. She’s thinking about covering it with make up before going out today.

 

Jiyeon laugh non-stop looking at Hyomin’s expression. “At least I left something behind so you can remember me. I hope that mark last longer there”

 

Hyomin closed her eyes and sigh again. She then open her eyes and pinched Jiyeon’s arm.

 

“Ouch! That’s your fault too. You seduced me” Jiyeon pouted.

 

Hyomin crossed her arm and stare at Jiyeon. Jiyeon quickly hug her.

 

“I’m sorry unnie. Don’t get mad at me” Jiyeon buried her face on Hyomin’s shoulder.

 

Hyomin broke the hug and make Jiyeon face her. “How can I get mad at the cute kid like you?” Hyomin formed a smile on her face.

 

Jiyeon pouted. “Kid can’t do thing like this” She pointed on Hyomin’s neck.

 

“They do bites” Hyomin let a small laugh.

 

“Fine!” Jiyeon move away and start to packed her belonging. Hyomin come closer and help her.

 

“Unnie” Jiyeon turn her face to Hyomin.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“What if I walk in my sleep again?” Jiyeon pouted.

 

“Bring minyeon with you” Hyomin look at Jiyeon’s face and smile.

 

They look into each other eyes for a moment. Hyomin reached for Jiyeon’s hand. “I’m going to miss you so much” 

 

“I’m going to miss you more”

 

Silent took over with their eyes meet each other. Jiyeon move closer and hug Hyomin tightly.

 

...

 

Both of them went to the kitchen for breakfast after done with packing.

 

“Jiyeon ah, don’t forget to bring this with you” Jiyeon’s grandmother placed a small package at the table.

 

“What is inside that?” Jiyeon ask observing the package.

 

“Side dishes. Your mom love them”

 

Jiyeon nodded and put the package closer to her.

 

“What time is your bus?” Jiyeon’s grandmother ask with her eyes fixed at Jiyeon.

 

“1 p.m.” Jiyeon answer shortly.

 

Jiyeon’s grandmother suddenly let out a sigh. She observed both Jiyeon and Hyomin’s expression. “It’s always gloomy when the two of you need to separated from each other. It’s even worse before. You cried out loud, Jiyeon ah and Hyomin almost didn’t talk to anyone for weeks after you left. Luckily there’s Eunjung”

 

Jiyeon took a glance at Hyomin. That girl look straight to the front, spacing out.

 

“Don’t worry halmeoni. We are fine. We are not kid anymore” Jiyeon smiled bitterly at her grandmother.

 

Both of them went back to their bedroom after finished with breakfast.  Jiyeon took Hyomin’s hand and pull her into a long hug. They stay in that position without saying anything.

 

Jiyeon broke the hug and look straight into Hyomin’s eyes. She suddenly remember something.

 

“Let’s exchange the photos we took” Jiyeon reached for her phone. Both of them then sit facing each other and start to exchange their pictures. They smiled widely looking at the pictures they took.

 

“You look so cute here” Hyomin show one of the photo that she took to Jiyeon. Jiyeon smiled to her.

 

Both of them then spending time looking at the pictures they took and exchange them.

 

“The best one is still this one” Hyomin show Jiyeon the first selfie they took. Jiyeon nodded and rest her head on Hyomin’s shoulder.

 

...

 

That afternoon, six of them gathered at bus station to bid goodbye to Jiyeon. Jiyeon hug each one of them.

 

She first went to Qri and face her. Qri smiled at her and patted her arm.

 

“Take care, Jiyeon ah”

 

Jiyeon nodded and hug her.

 

Jiyeon then move to face Soyeon that stand beside Qri.

 

“We are going to miss you” Soyeon said to her.

 

“Me too” Jiyeon smiled bitterly and hug her.

 

Boram then took Jiyeon’s hand and move closer. She whisper, “I know you will come back” She patted Jiyeon’s hand.

 

Jiyeon nodded and pull Boram into a hug. “Thank you for telling me that”

 

Then, she face Eunjung and stare to that girl for a moment.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of her” Eunjung said and hug Jiyeon.

 

“I trust you. Remember she’s mine”

 

Eunjung quickly released the hug and look straight into Jiyeon’s eyes. “I might win on the other game but in this love game, I’m totally lose to you”

 

“Then received your punishment” Jiyeon flicked Eunjung’s forehead with strong flicked.

 

“Ouch!” Eunjung touch her red’s forehead with painful expression but  then she laugh.

 

Jiyeon then turn to face Hyomin. She took minyeon from Hyomin’s hug. They stare into each other eyes before Jiyeon hug her tightly.

 

“I love you so much” Jiyeon whisper to Hyomin’s ear.

 

“I love you more” Hyomin said with weak voice. Her body start trembling in her effort not to cry.

 

The bus arrived shortly after but Jiyeon still didn’t broke the hug. She even hug Hyomin tighter, refuse to let her go. Hyomin just let her, she can’t even open to say anything.

 

Sensing the situation, Eunjung lightly patted Jiyeon’s back. “Hey, your bus is here” She softly rub Jiyeon’s arm.

 

Jiyeon finally broke the hug. She pull out an envelope from her jacket’s pocket and hand it to Hyomin. She then quickly turn around after sensing that her tears is already on the verge of falling down. She walk toward the bus without turning back. She didn’t want Hyomin to know that she already break the promise. Her tears keep falling down without sign of stopping.

 

Jiyeon enter the bus and sit at one of the seat. She pressed her nose on minyeon, inhaling the scent. She then peek at Hyomin from the tip of her eyes and keep looking at her until she can’t see her anymore.

 

While, Hyomin froze in her position, trembling hard. She almost fell on her knee but luckily Eunjung is fast enough to hold her.

 

Hyomin keep blinking her eyes not believing the fact that Jiyeon is not by her side anymore.

 

“Hyomin ah, it’s better if you just cry” Qri patted her back try to calm her down.

 

Hyomin lightly push Eunjung’s arm asking her to broke the hug. “I need some time alone” She then walk away from there.

 

Hyomin went to paddy field that she used to go with Jiyeon. She close her eyes try to feel Jiyeon’s presence with her hand touching the red mark on her neck. Her heart aches so much that she can’t even cry anymore.

 

She then open her eyes and look at the envelope given by Jiyeon earlier. She open it and found a letter and a bracelet that Jiyeon always wear in it. Hyomin open the letter to read it.

 

Dear my beloved unnie,

I wrote this letter because I know I can’t told you all this without breaking our promise.

Unnie, I can still clearly remember that time when I turn my head to my left and see you for the first time. You stand there with wide smile and ask me with that soft voice of yours if I am Jiyeon. At that time, some weird feeling creeped into my heart that today I recognised it as love. That whole day, my heart keep beating fast that I’m keep stuttering like idiot talking to you. Your scent bring me unexplainable comfort that I found myself addicted to it.

I just have been here for a week but the things that I’ve learn while I’m here is more than the whole things that I’ve learnt in all my life. I learn to make friends and be open up to other. I even apologised for the first time in my life and to my surprised, it is after I’m losing to someone. I can’t even hate my own rival and even praised her a lot. It is only in this place the thing like this can happened.

Unnie, I will always remember the sweet memories that we share together. Every single first that you gave to me. I will always remember it. Please don’t be too sad. Remember that we will meet again in the future. The thought of meeting you again really help me a lot to face this goodbye. We still can contact each other right? Please do call me a lot and video call please. Please send me a lot of pictures too. Our sunflower’s progress, sunrise, sunset and most importantly, YOU!

Without realising it, I’ve grown too attached to you that I can’t even live and breath properly without you. Like I said before, I’m addicted to you. Please do remember me in every single breath you took. Is it even possible? Just do it! Wait for me because I definitely will be back. Don’t flirt with Eunjung unnie. Bear in your mind that you can only have me. Don’t let other peoples kiss you especially Eunjung. You got it?

Aah my hand hurt for writing so much. I will stop here. If there anything else, I will text you later.

Unnie, I really really really really really really really really love you!!!

Sending kiss and hug.

Yours forever,

Jiyeon.

 

Hyomin fold the letter after finished reading it. She smile bitterly. There is the time she laugh while reading it but still the emptiness left by Jiyeon can’t be filled completely by the letter.

 

Soft touch landing on her arm. She look at her back and her eyes caught Eunjung standing behind her. She stand from her sit and face Eunjung.

 

“Jungie, I really miss her” Hyomin said with trembling voice.

 

“I know” Eunjung move closer and hug her.

 

“I miss her a lot” Single tear start to fall down. “She will come back right?”

 

“Yes she will” Eunjung rub Hyomin’s back and let the girl sob in her arm. It is better for her if Hyomin just cry.

 

Like that, they stay in that position with Hyomin cries her heart out, letting out every single tear that she had been holding in before.

 

The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.

-Charles Dickens-

 

 

___________________________________________________________

 

Dear readers,

Sorry for the sad ending. Let’s pray for the second part.

Have a nice day.