Chapter 8

Countryside Life

Another morning in front of paddy field to watch the sunrise together. Both of them sit side by side without a single word enjoying the comfort silent of early morning.

 

“Unnie” Jiyeon broke the silent. Hyomin turn to look at her.

 

“Let’s take a lot of pictures the whole day”

 

Hyomin smile at Jiyeon and nodded before she placed her head on Jiyeon’s shoulder.

 

“Jiyeon ah” Hyomin took out her phone and ready to take the picture. Jiyeon look at her and get ready in position to look nice on the picture. They took a lot of pictures in front of that paddy field.

 

Hyomin move from her sitting place and squat in front of Jiyeon. Jiyeon raised her eyebrow questioning Hyomin’s act. Hyomin just smile like a dork and lean in to whisper at Jiyeon’s ear. “Catch me if you can” Then, she planted a quick kiss on Jiyeon’s lips before running away.

 

“Hey, wait for me!” Jiyeon quickly stand from her sit and run after Hyomin.

 

They arrived at home panting hard. They look at each other eyes and laugh. Jiyeon took Hyomin’s hand and brought the girl to the kitchen.

 

“Today I’m going to prepare breakfast for you” Jiyeon proudly said and invite Hyomin to sit.

 

“Really? Wow! What is the menu..” Hyomin smile at Jiyeon. “..chef?” Then she laugh. Jiyeon laugh along with her.

 

“Gaeran mari” Jiyeon start to prepare the ingredients and does all the steps that she remember.

 

Hyomin unknowingly smile at the sight of Jiyeon preparing breakfast for her. She took out her phone and take a lot of pictures of Jiyeon preparing breakfast. Sometime she went closer to Jiyeon and took selfie with her.

 

Jiyeon proudly served her gaeran mari in front of Hyomin after finished preparing it. Hyomin took out a fork and take one piece of it and taste it.

 

Jiyeon widened her eyes with pounding heart waiting for Hyomin’s evaluation of her hard work. Hyomin look straight to Jiyeon and blinks her eyes several times while tasting it. She then suddenly make a weird face.

 

“Why unnie? Is it not good?” Jiyeon nervously took one piece of it and taste it.

 

Hyomin then laugh looking at Jiyeon’s expression. “It’s good. I’m just teasing you but it’ll better if you put less salt”

 

“I still need a lot of practice” Jiyeon pouted.

 

“It’s okay. As long as it’s you that make it, it’ll always taste like love” Hyomin reach to hold Jiyeon’s hand and smile to the girl.

 

“Woah, I’m melting” Jiyeon playfully poke Hyomin’s arm and smile brightly at the girl.

 

“Let’s wash before going out” Hyomin clear the table after finished with the breakfast.

 

“Together?” Jiyeon ask with ert face.

 

“You will run away again” Hyomin pinched Jiyeon’s nose and went to the bedroom.

 

“What if I’m not” Jiyeon ask still with previous ert face.

 

Hyomin move closer and whisper to Jiyeon’s ear. “You will”

 

“Try me” Jiyeon give a challenging look to Hyomin.

 

“Then let’s go” Hyomin take Jiyeon’s hand and went to the bathroom together.

 

Hyomin took off her outer clothes, leaving only tank top and short pant on her. Jiyeon just stare at her and her eyes unconsciously fell on Hyomin’s abs that slightly can be seen, then to her long slender pair of legs. She unknowingly gulped loudly.

 

Hyomin laugh at the frozen Jiyeon and whisper to her. “You still has chance to run away”

 

“I-I’ll stay” Jiyeon stuttered a bit and look away to avoid Hyomin’s gaze.

 

“Then, can you help me washed my hair” Hyomin handed shampoo to Jiyeon.

 

“Sure” Jiyeon take the shampoo and start to washed Hyomin’s hair.

 

After Jiyeon done with Hyomin’s hair, Hyomin offer to wash Jiyeon’s hair. Jiyeon just let her.

 

“Hey, take this off” Hyomin pointed to Jiyeon’s baggy t-shirt.

 

“I just wears bra inside” Jiyeon rolled her eyes.

 

“That’s better” Hyomin .

 

“Hey” Jiyeon hit Hyomin’s arm. Then, she face Hyomin and smirked before attacking the girl with water. Once again, water fight happened and this time, none of them want to stop.

 

Jiyeon suddenly grab Hyomin’s hand and look at the girl’s eyes. “Let’s stop. I’m tired”

 

“Okay” Hyomin laugh still feeling good with the water fight game but stop when she realised Jiyeon stare at her without blinking.

 

Jiyeon can clearly feels blood rushing rapidly to her face when she stare at Hyomin that soaked with water in front of her. Every single drop of water on Hyomin’s face hypnotised her, trigger adrenaline rush inside her.

 

Jiyeon unconsciously lean closer and about to kiss Hyomin but Hyomin stop her with placing her finger in between their lips. Jiyeon lean back quickly.

 

“What’s with that” Hyomin pointed to Jiyeon’s hand that now placed on Hyomin’s abs.

 

Jiyeon widened her eyes in shock. When did she put her hand there? She quickly take back her hand.

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t control myself” Jiyeon look away to calm herself down. “I think I’m done” Jiyeon is about to walk out but Hyomin stop her.

 

“Hey, you said you won’t run away this time”

 

“I’m afraid something will happened if I stay longer with you here” Jiyeon face Hyomin and show a creepy smile to her.

 

“Like what?” Hyomin tighten the grip on Jiyeon’s hand.

 

Jiyeon quickly shook her head try to regain self control. “Stop it!” Jiyeon shout to herself and close her eyes tightly.

 

Hyomin pouted and release Jiyeon’s hand. “Why are you so mad?”

 

“I’m not mad at you” Jiyeon open her eyes and give Hyomin an apologetic look.

 

Hyomin stop pouting and signalling Jiyeon to look away but the girl stand still not moving.

 

“I need to change my clothes” Hyomin said pointing at her own body.

 

“Oh sorry” Jiyeon back facing Hyomin and both of them change before went out of bathroom.

 

...

 

“Where are we going?” Jiyeon ask Hyomin as they walk hand in hand to somewhere lead by Hyomin.

 

“My workplace” Hyomin answer shortly and drag Jiyeon to enter the cafe nearby.

 

“Oo Hyomin! Why are you here? Go away!” Shinyoung pushed Hyomin out of the cafe.

 

“I’m coming as a customer” Hyomin pouted and try to enter the cafe again.

 

“I thought you come to work like someone. You two are seriously annoying” Shinyoung let Hyomin enter the cafe.

 

“Someone? Who?” Hyomin ask with confuse face.

 

“Who else? Your Jungie” Shinyoung mimicked the way Hyomin called Eunjung.

 

“Eunjung is here?” Hyomin look around to search for Eunjung.

 

“Hmm” Shinyoung lazily answer. “By the way, is that your Seoul friend?” Shinyoung pointed to Jiyeon.

 

“Yes unnie, this is Jiyeon. Jiyeon ah, this is Shinyoung unnie, the owner of this cafe” Hyomin introduced the two of them. Jiyeon and Shinyoung bow to each other.

 

Hyomin take Jiyeon to sit in one of the seat inside the cafe. Hyomin then shouted “EXCUSE ME”

 

Eunjung run quickly toward them but stop when she realised who called for her.

 

“Yes agassi, what’s your order?” Eunjung wear annoying look on her face.

 

“Jungie, how’s your fever?” Hyomin ask with sudden concern voice. She stand and reach her hand to touch Eunjung’s forehead.

 

Eunjung avoid the touch and push Hyomin’s hand away. “I’m perfectly fine”

 

“You don’t tell me you go back to work” Hyomin pouted and sit back.

 

Jiyeon just silently watched the two. She know Hyomin's feeling toward her but she can’t help being uneasy at the moment.

 

Eunjung glance at Jiyeon for second and noticed the uneasy look at the girl’s face. “I’m just bored. I thought of telling you later”

 

“Jungie, Jiyeon is going back to Seoul tomorrow”

 

Eunjung observed Hyomin’s face, shocked with the sudden news. She then took Hyomin’s hand. “Excuse us for a while” She patted Jiyeon’s arm before take Hyomin to the staff room.

 

“Are you okay?” Eunjung hold both of Hyomin’s arm and look at the girl face. Hyomin just put her head down.

 

“Hey, answer me” Eunjung softly shook Hyomin’s arm. Hyomin move closer and buried her face on Eunjung’s arm without a word.

 

Eunjung pull Hyomin for a hug. Hyomin must be really sad. She never seen Hyomin being like this before.

 

Hyomin broke the hug after a while and put a smile on her face. “I can’t show sad face to her. I promised not to cry”

 

Hyomin then walk out of the room and went back to Jiyeon. Eunjung just let her.

 

...

 

The other unnies come and joined them at the cafe after receiving the news that Jiyeon’s going back to Seoul tomorrow.

 

They gathered at one places. Shinyoung close the cafe to give room for those six spending some time with each other.

 

“Hey Jiyeon ah, don’t you think that you can get away so easy like this” Soyeon pointed to Jiyeon with unsatisfied look on her face. “You still didn't answer my question from before”

 

“Which one?” Jiyeon pretend to not remember.

 

“Did you two dated?” Soyeon pointed to Jiyeon and Hyomin in front of her.

 

Qri take a glance at Eunjung and secretly pinched Soyeon’s arm.

 

“What?” Soyeon push away Qri’s hand.

 

“Yes they are” Eunjung answered Soyeon’s question with wide smile on her face. She patted Hyomin’s arm beside her.

 

Hyomin and Jiyeon widened their eyes in shock and look at each other. Both of them then put their head down to hide their red’s cheek.

 

Qri can feel her jaw dropped with the unbelievable scene in front of her. “And you are okay with that?”

 

“They got my full support” Eunjung grinned showing her white teeth.

 

“I can sense this will happened from the start” Boram nod her head with proud face.

 

“So when will you come back here?” Soyeon asked Jiyeon.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe after I finished with everything” Jiyeon took a glance at Hyomin beside her. She took Hyomin’s hand under the table and hold it.

 

“And how long is that?” Qri asked.

 

“3 years” Jiyeon tighten the grip on Hyomin’s hand.

 

“Woah that’s quite a long time. Don’t you afraid someone will take Hyomin from you when you’re gone?” Soyeon glance at Eunjung while asking that question to Jiyeon. Eunjung widened her eyes and give signal to Soyeon to look away.

 

Jiyeon just sigh. She didn’t answer the question. While, Hyomin rub Jiyeon’s hand under the table try to tell her that the thing like that will never happened.

 

“Okay!” Eunjung suddenly stand to divert the attention. “Jiyeon” Eunjung walk to the stage inside the cafe where she always sing to entertained the customer and prepare the mic. “Time for your speech” She give signal to Jiyeon to joined her on the stage.

 

Jiyeon walk to the stage and stand beside Eunjung.

 

“You better make it long” Eunjung patted Jiyeon’s arm and went back to her sit.

 

Jiyeon stand awkwardly in front the five unnies. She keep shut for quite a while.

 

“Ahem” She cleared .

 

“Firstly, thanks to you guys for taking care of me all this time and sorry if I ever hurt you guys with my bad attitude. Thanks for being my friends. Honestly, I don’t really have friend at Seoul. That’s why I’m always awkward like this”

 

Jiyeon paused for a while and clear once again.

 

“Boram unnie, thanks for your words that changed me to be who I am today. You will never know how much I appreciated it”

 

Boram show thumb up to her.

 

“Qri unnie, at first you look so cold that I’m afraid to approached you but being the warm person you actually are, thank you”

 

Qri smiled at her.

 

“Soyeon unnie, you might be playful most of the time but believe me, I adore that side of you. I wish I can be as cheerful as you”

 

Soyeon nodded her head with wide smile.

 

“Eunjung unnie, in all my life, I never met someone that is so perfect like you. I admit that there’s time I feels so small comparing myself to you. Please take care of Hyomin unnie while I’m away”

 

Eunjung let a small laugh and shook her head before showing thumb up to Jiyeon.

 

“Hyomin unnie..”

 

Jiyeon stop for a while and gathering courage to continue. She can feel her eyes start to sting. She take a deep breath to stop her tears from falling down.

 

“There are so much to say that even the whole day is not enough for me to say it all. Just thank you for everything” Jiyeon voice start to crack. She can’t bring herself to continue with her speech.

 

Hyomin put her head down, shook it a little to prevent the tears from running down. Eunjung reach to hold her hand and rub it to comfort the girl.

 

Silent took over for quite a while.

 

“That’s a good speech” Soyeon break the silent and clapped her hand. The other joined her.

 

Soyeon walk to the stage and patted Jiyeon’s arm. She pull the mic toward her.

 

“Now it’s time for Jiyeon to sing for us” Soyeon smirked at Jiyeon and raised her eyebrow before went back to her seat.

 

“But..” Jiyeon awkwardly stand at the stage.

 

“Hey, no but” Eunjung went to the stage and take the guitar that placed at the side of stage. “Need my help?”

 

Jiyeon hesitate for a while but give in since all the eyes are now at her anticipating her to sing.

 

“Okay” She finally said and took the mic and sit.

 

“What song?” Eunjung ask while tuning the guitar.

 

Jiyeon think for a while and then a song come to her mind when her eyes meet Hyomin’s.

 

“Photograph” She said shortly.

 

Eunjung played the first verse after giving cue. Jiyeon took a deep breath and start to sing with her eyes fixed at Hyomin.

 

Loving can hurt

Loving can hurt sometimes

But it's the only thing that I know

When it gets hard

You know it can get hard sometimes

It is the only thing that makes us feel alive

 

We keep this love in a photograph

We made these memories for ourselves

Where our eyes are never closing

Hearts are never broken

Times forever frozen still

 

So you can keep me

Inside the pocket of your ripped jeans

Holdin' me closer 'til our eyes meet

You won't ever be alone

Wait for me to come home

 

Loving can heal

Loving can mend your soul

And it's the only thing that I know

I swear it will get easier

Remember that with every piece of ya

And it's the only thing we take with us when we die

 

We keep this love in this photograph

We made these memories for ourselves

Where our eyes are never closing

Our hearts were never broken

Times forever frozen still

 

So you can keep me

Inside the pocket of your ripped jeans

Holdin' me closer 'til our eyes meet

You won't ever be alone

 

And if you hurt me

That's Okay, baby, only words bleed

Inside these pages you just hold me

And I won't ever let you go

 

Wait for me to come home

 

“I think that will do” Jiyeon stop singing before finishing the song. She received a loud applauds from the unnies.

 

Before she went down from the stage, she grab Eunjung’s arm and whisper to her. “Please take care of her”

 

“I will but please come back soon or else you will regret it” Eunjung patted her arm and both of them went back to their own seat.

 

...

 

They talked until late night and went back home after that.

 

Hyomin and Jiyeon walk back home while holding hand.

 

“Unnie” Jiyeon turn to Hyomin and stop walking.

 

“Hmm?” Hyomin look at Jiyeon.

 

“Can I piggyback you home?”

 

“Why? I’m quite heavy you know” Hyomin pinched Jiyeon’s nose.

 

“You are too skinny” Jiyeon squat in front of Hyomin backfacing her and patted her own back.

 

Hyomin hesitate for a while but give in and ride Jiyeon’s back since the girl persistently asking Hyomin to do so.

 

Jiyeon piggyback Hyomin and start to walk back home.

 

“You are as light as feather. Eat more” Jiyeon said to Hyomin.

 

“Hmm” Hyomin buried her face on Jiyeon’s hair inhaling the scent.

 

They sit at the bench in front of the house after arrived at home.

 

“You can sing well” Hyomin put her head on Jiyeon’s shoulder.

 

“That song is for you”

 

“I know”

 

“Jiyeon ah” Hyomin called for Jiyeon.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Remember our promise” Hyomin raise her head from Jiyeon’s shoulder and look at her.

 

“I will try my best” I will try my best not to cry. Jiyeon caressed Hyomin’s face.