Chapter 6

Countryside Life

The girls went straight to the water immediately after they arrived at the waterfall except for Jiyeon and Eunjung. Both of them just sit at the side watching the others play with the water.

 

“Hey, why don’t you joined them?” Eunjung asked Jiyeon that blankly stare to the front.

 

Jiyeon peek at Eunjung that is sitting on her right side. “I can’t swim”

 

“Haha..me too”

 

Jiyeon look at Eunjung with wide eyes not believing what she just heard. “No way”

 

Eunjung let a small laugh looking at Jiyeon’s expression. “It’s true. Do I look like someone that can swim?”

 

“You look like someone that can do anything” Jiyeon honestly said what she think about Eunjung.

 

“I’ll take that as a compliment” Eunjung laugh once again. She didn’t expect Jiyeon would think of her like that. There’s no way she can do anything like what Jiyeon just said.

 

“It is a compliment. By the way, why did you even suggest to come here?” Jiyeon still doubt that Eunjung can’t swim. She believe that Eunjung just lied to her about that.

 

Eunjung is about to answer that question but stop when a splash of water hit her.

 

“Yah Park Sunyoung!” Eunjung shout in shock. Both Eunjung and Jiyeon now slightly soaked with water because of Hyomin sudden attack.

 

“Come and join us. The water is just chest level over here” Hyomin approached them and took both of the girls hand.

 

“That sound scary. Chest level is too dangerous for me” Eunjung refused Hyomin’s invitation and take back her hand.

 

“Then let’s play at the waist level one then” Hyomin still not giving up.

 

“No. I have no sense of balance inside the water” Eunjung lay down and close her eyes enjoying the sound of water hit the rock.

 

“Jungie please~” Hyomin shook Eunjung’s body try to make the girl change her mind.

 

Eunjung slightly open her left’s eye and peek at Hyomin. “Take Jiyeon play with you first. I’ll joined you guys later”

 

“Okay then” Hyomin give in. At least Eunjung said that she will join them later. “Let’s go Jiyeon ah” She took Jiyeon hand and ready to take the girl to enter the water.

 

“I’m not going” Jiyeon said refuse to move from her sit. She wear straight face not showing any interest to play in the water.

 

“Not you too. Pleaseee~~” Hyomin took both of Jiyeon’s hand and look at Jiyeon with puppy eyes. She blinked her eyes several times. Jiyeon try to look away but Hyomin keep persistently looking at her with that puppy eyes. 

 

“Ugh..okay” Jiyeon finally give in. “But make sure not to let my hand go. I’m scared and I can’t swim” Jiyeon said to Hyomin almost whispering doesn’t want Eunjung to heard her.

 

“Don’t worry” Hyomin excitedly drag Jiyeon to enter the water. Jiyeon hesitate at first but enter it anyway. She don’t know why but Hyomin’s touch somehow make her feel safe.

 

They stop when they arrived at the waist level area. Jiyeon stop moving and give signal to Hyomin that she can’t go any further.

 

“I-I can’t balance myself” Jiyeon show worried expression to Hyomin.

 

“It’s okay Jiyeon ah. I’ll protect you” Hyomin back facing Jiyeon and put both Jiyeon’s hand around her waist. She hold Jiyeon’s hand tightly and start to bring the girl further.

 

“I’ll take you to there” She pointed to waterfall that is not too far in front of them.

 

“Let’s just stay here. I’m scared. I can’t even breath properly right now”

 

Hyomin still moving not responding to Jiyeon’s request. As they went deeper, she piggyback Jiyeon. Jiyeon’s weight didn’t affect her much since lifting thing is easier in water. It feel like Jiyeon is floating on her back while using her back as support.

 

Jiyeon gasp loudly when she can’t feel her feet touching the ground anymore. She’s floating on Hyomin’s back. She freeze on her position and tighten her grip on Hyomin. It not take long before her feet touching the ground again. They arrived safely at the waterfall.

 

Both of them sit at a big rock under the waterfall and let the water slightly hit their body. It feels like sitting in the rain. They keep silent for a while enjoying the sound of falling water.

 

Jiyeon’s eyes focused on the three unnies that playing with water not too far from their place. Then, as she look around, her eyes caught Eunjung that still lying down. Even from quite far away, she noticed Eunjung’s mouth slightly open in her sleep. That girl must be tired since she is the one that drive them to this place earlier.

 

Jiyeon look at Hyomin beside her and lean on the girl’s shoulder.

 

“Unnie?” She speak close to Hyomin’s ear so the girl can heard her. The sound of waterfall is quite loud at the place they sit.

 

“Hmm?” Hyomin look at Jiyeon from the tip of her eyes.

 

“Did you ever had any special feeling for Eunjung unnie?” She ask with her eyes fixed at sleeping Eunjung. Then, she look at Hyomin nervously waiting for the girl to answer. This thing crossed her mind so suddenly that she want to know whether Hyomin ever had any special feeling for Eunjung before. It’s not impossible considering how perfect Eunjung is. She still look cool after admitting that she can’t swim and still good looking even sleep with mouth open. 

 

Hyomin immediately turned to Jiyeon that sit beside her. “Why did you ask such question out of sudden?”

 

“I’m just curious”

 

“I don’t know. Should I kiss her to get the answer?” Hyomin let a laugh out when she noticed Jiyeon’s dark expression after she said that.

 

“Hell no! No way!” Jiyeon shout in anger. Jiyeon pouted and look away from Hyomin. She didn’t expect Hyomin would answer her question like that.

 

“Why not? Why can’t I kiss her?” Hyomin keep teasing the girl. It’s fun for her to see Jiyeon’s jealous face.

 

“Because you are mine” Jiyeon shoot her answer without thinking. She feel so mad at that time to even thinking.

 

“Said who?” Hyomin laugh uncontrollably looking at Jiyeon unsatisfied expression.

 

“So everything that happened all this time between us is a lie?” Jiyeon look at Hyomin with serious face. So serious that Hyomin stop laughing when she noticed that expression on Jiyeon’s face.

 

“Jiyeon ah. I’m sorry okay. I just teasing you” Hyomin reach her hand to touch Jiyeon’s face but that girl look away avoiding Hyomin’s touch.

 

“Jiyeon ah” Hyomin call for Jiyeon but the girl didn’t respond. “Hey” She reach for Jiyeon’s hand and hold it tightly.

 

“Didn’t I clearly said before that I like you more than Eunjung unnie” Hyomin shook Jiyeon hand try to get the girl attention.

 

“Really?” Jiyeon look at Hyomin immediately. Hyomin nodded at her. They look in each other eyes.

 

“Hey! Get a room you two!” A splash of water suddenly hit them. Both of them jumped in shock and look up to the person that just attacked them. It’s Soyeon. Both of them quickly release each other hand and look away awkwardly.

 

“Unnie. How long has you been there?” Hyomin awkwardly looking at Soyeon. How embarrassing to know there is someone witnessing what just happened between Jiyeon and her.

 

“Am I interrupting something?” Soyeon gave both of them a dirty look. She quickly snuggle in between them and wrap her arm around the two girls.

 

“So tell me” Soyeon look at both of them one after another.

 

“Tell you what?” Hyomin try to remove Soyeon’s grip on her shoulder as she start to feel uneasy with Soyeon’s touch.

 

“Did you two date each other now? You two look into each other eyes so intensely just now” Soyeon tighten her grip on Hyomin’s shoulder refuse to let go.

 

“We are playing staring game just now” Hyomin lazily answer the girl.

 

Soyeon is about to open to say something but someone suddenly forcefully grab her and take her away from Hyomin and Jiyeon.

 

“Unnie! I’m not finish with them!” Soyeon gave death glare to Qri that just drag her. Qri didn’t answer her and just continue dragging Soyeon away.

 

“Let’s go back” Hyomin suddenly stand from her sit and take Jiyeon’s hand.

 

...

 

“Yah! You come all the way here just to sleep?!” Soyeon shout at sleeping Eunjung and splashed the girl repeatedly with water.

 

Eunjung sit immediately, shock with the sudden attack. She look confuse and look around. Where am I?

 

“Guys! Throw her into the water!” Soyeon shout and in respond, Qri and Boram quickly joined her to grab Eunjung.

 

“Hey hey hey!!” Eunjung try to release herself from the three unnies but she failed. She safely landed at water. She struggle for a while to stand. Luckily the water is just waist level. She already think about that is the end of her life when she first landed on water.

 

“Let’s play palm push game” Boram suddenly suggest to play a game.

 

“Call! The loser will get flicked on forehead” Hyomin approached them with Jiyeon.

 

“You are the one that always lose” Eunjung said with laugh. Hyomin stare at her with unsatisfied look.

 

“Not this time. I’m ready” Hyomin stretch her body preparing herself for the game.

 

They decide on the turn and opponent with rock, paper, scissors game. They move to the knee level area and decide to play there. It turn out that the first game are between Qri and Soyeon.

 

“Time for payback!” Soyeon give no mercy look to Qri. Qri didn’t respond. She continue to wear her straight face.

 

The first game start. Soyeon shoot her first attack immediately. Qri manage to balance herself. Soyeon take advantage of Qri shaky condition with another attack resulting on her win when Qri finally move from her standing spot.

 

“This is no fun” Soyeon whine looking at Qri straight face. The other girls just laugh at both of them. Soyeon does the punishment to Qri. She flicked that girl’s forehead half-heartedly.

 

The second game is between Boram and Jiyeon. Hyomin pat Jiyeon’s arm as a support. Jiyeon face Boram and ready for the game. The difference in height is so obvious between those two. Soyeon laugh at Boram resulting a death glare from Boram to her. 

 

The game start with Boram attack first. Jiyeon almost move from her spot unable to balance herself but she manage to stay. She immediately attack Boram with strong push. So strong that cause Boram to fall in the water.

 

Everyone gasp in awe. Boram is on the list of favourite to win but she lose to the maknae Jiyeon. No one expect that to happen. Jiyeon quickly help Boram to stand. She softly flicked Boram’s head with apologetic look. 

 

Next is Hyomin and Eunjung turn. Eunjung took Hyomin hand and make the girl facing her. She gave the girl playful look to . Hyomin pouted at her.

 

“Why you from the first round? This is not fair” She whined at Eunjung.

 

“You want a long game or short one?” Eunjung ask her playfully.

 

“I’ll take that as an insult from you” Hyomin yanked her hand from Eunjung’s tight grip.

 

“Ow..I’m just kidding” Eunjung laugh and getting ready in position when she noticed Hyomin is ready for the game.

 

The game start. Eunjung playfully tease Hyomin with fake attack. The frustrated Hyomin then push Eunjung with hard push but resulting on imbalance on her own feet. She fall forward and luckily Eunjung is there to catch her. Everyone laugh at her.

 

“You fall by yourself pabo” Eunjung flicked Hyomin’s forehead hard resulting on loud flicked sound.

 

“Ouch! THAT’S HURT!” Hyomin push Eunjung away from her. Eunjung just laugh at her. 

 

“Next! Ow wait” Soyeon realised something out of sudden. “Let’s just move to the final. Count me out”

 

“This is fun” Boram smirked at the side. Soyeon’s surrender mean Jiyeon will face Eunjung.

 

Qri wrap her arm around her own body start to feel uneasy.

 

Hyomin on the other hand is way more worried compared to Qri. She examined both of Jiyeon and Eunjung’s expression. Those two seem to take this game seriously. It’s obvious on their face.

 

Jiyeon and Eunjung start to face each other. Mental fight begin with they keep staring to each other sending warn through eyes. Both of them badly want to win to protect their own pride. Losing is nowhere to be found on both of their dictionary of life.

 

The game begin with both of them attack almost at the same time. Everyone gasp while holding their breath watching those two. The tension can be felt in the air.

 

Both of them stay stable on position even after strong starting push. It not took long before the second hard push from both of them. This time both of them start to lose balance. Jiyeon quickly launched another push but Eunjung survive the attack and then she quickly push Jiyeon palm right after that with all her might resulting on Jiyeon’s imbalance. She failed to balance herself and fall on the water.

 

Eunjung offer her hand to help Jiyeon up but the girl refused harshly. She push Eunjung’s hand away and get up by herself. The other didn’t dare to interrupt at the moment. Jiyeon start to walk away from there. She need time to control her anger. She never lose before and losing this game hurt her pride so much and to her disappointment, she lose to that perfect Eunjung.

 

Hyomin quickly follow Jiyeon and grab the girl’s hand. 

 

Eunjung’s expression turn dark with what just happened. Jiyeon can’t take losing to her and now Hyomin trying hard to calm Jiyeon. What about her? She’s hurt too with Jiyeon’s attitude just now but she understand that Jiyeon must be way more hurt than her. Soft touch landed on her shoulder as she lost on her own thought. Qri pat her shoulder. She just smiled bitterly and went out of the water.

 

“Jiyeon ah” Hyomin grab Jiyeon’s hand but the girl didn’t respond. She keep walking away until both of them end up quite far from the waterfall.

 

Jiyeon stop walking. Hyomin can clearly heard Jiyeon’s hard breath. She must be really upset.

 

“Jiyeon ah” Hyomin call for her. Again, Jiyeon didn’t even respond.

 

“Look at me” Hyomin try to make Jiyeon face her but the girl refuse. She stay on her position, not even move even an inched.

 

Hyomin move to face Jiyeon. That girl just put her head down with her hand forming a fist. Hyomin took Jiyeon’s hand and rub it to comfort Jiyeon’s anger. Jiyeon start to unfold the fist slowly.

 

Hyomin touch Jiyeon’s chin and try to lift the girl face. Jiyeon just let her. Hyomin’s heart broken into pieces looking at that extremely sad face in front of her. Jiyeon look so weak and fragile at that time.

 

Hyomin quickly pulled her into a hug. Jiyeon shoved her face on Hyomin’s shoulder and let her tears falling down freely. Never she know losing will hurt like this and with Hyomin there showing that concern look make her became weaker. She just want to cry in Hyomin’s embrace.

 

Hyomin can’t help but crying along with Jiyeon. She can feel Jiyeon’s hot tear on her shoulder. It hurt her so much seeing Jiyeon like that. She rub Jiyeon’s back and try to calm down the girl. As Jiyeon calm down and stop crying, Hyomin released the hug and look at Jiyeon’s face. They look into each other eyes and form a comfort silent through their gaze.

 

Hyomin slowly lean in and pressed her lips on Jiyeon’s forehead. Jiyeon closed her eyes enjoying the comfort in Hyomin’s kiss. She wrap her arm around Hyomin’s waist and they stay in that position.

 

“Should I go apologized to Eunjung unnie?” Jiyeon open after they keep silent for quite a while.

 

Hyomin broke the kiss and look at Jiyeon’s face. “It’s up to you” She caressed Jiyeon’s hair and look deep into Jiyeon’s eyes.

 

“Unnie, you look so beautiful with that red eyes” Jiyeon reach her hand to wipe the tears that still left at the tip of Hyomin’s eyes. Hyomin grab Jiyeon’s hand and pressed her nose on it. Jiyeon let out a chuckle, happy with what Hyomin just did to her.

 

“Let’s go back. They must be worried about us” Hyomin took Jiyeon’s hand as the girl nodded and they walk back together hand in hand.

 

...

 

“Unnie, I’m sorry”

 

Eunjung snap out from her deep thought and look up to the person that talking to her. Her eyes caught Jiyeon standing in front of her. She smiled and pat her left side signalling Jiyeon to take a sit.

 

Jiyeon slowly sit beside Eunjung and both of them stay in silent for quite a while.

 

“Sorry” Jiyeon said her apology once again.

 

Eunjung let a small laugh. “It’s okay. You don’t have to say that twice”

 

“I just feel bad for being overreacting earlier” Jiyeon sincerely said her heart out.

 

“I might do the same if that happened to me” Eunjung look at Jiyeon and formed a warm smile on her face. Jiyeon smiled back at her.

 

Hyomin approached them and whisper to Jiyeon. “Now hug her”

 

“No” Jiyeon whisper back.

 

“I heard that” Eunjung look at both of them with annoying look. “Jiyeon” Eunjung call for Jiyeon and right after Jiyeon turn her head to her, a loud flicked sound could be heard.

 

“Ouch!” Jiyeon touch her red forehead in pain. She received her punishment.

 

They spent some more time at the waterfall before went to find a nearby place to eat. It already night when they finished with everything and went to Eunjung’s uncle lake house.

 

...

 

They arrived at the house that was located in front of the lake. They can barely see the lake since it’s already dark. So, they just went into the house.

 

There are 3 bedrooms inside the house. Eunjung quickly grab Hyomin hand and drag her to the first room. Hyomin is just about to reach for Jiyeon’s hand before Eunjung grab her hand.

 

Hyomin’s eyes caught Jiyeon pouted face right before she enter her room. Jiyeon went to the second room with Boram.

 

Hyomin enter the bedroom that she share with Eunjung. There is queen size bed at the middle of the room with toilet at the left.

 

Eunjung went straight to the bed and close her eyes.

 

“Hey go wash first” Hyomin pat Eunjung’s back that was facing her.

 

Eunjung look up to Hyomin. “You go first”

 

Hyomin shook her head and went to the toilet. Eunjung went in after Hyomin done washing.

 

Hyomin lie down on the bed. She kept thinking how’s Jiyeon doing on the next room. She already miss that girl. She miss their late night conversation and warm hug from Jiyeon.

 

As she lost on her thought, she feel someone lie down beside her. It must be Eunjung. Right now she’s back facing the girl. Then, a pair of hand wrapped around her waist. Hyomin just let her.

 

“Sunyoung ah” Eunjung call for Hyomin. Hyomin didn’t respond.

 

“I have this feeling that we start to drifted apart” Eunjung look at Hyomin’s back and tell the girl her current concern.

 

Hyomin close her eyes and take a depth breath. She didn’t know how to respond to what Eunjung said to her.

 

“I’m scared” Eunjung said with low voice.

 

Hyomin finally move and face Eunjung. “Of what?”

 

Eunjung look into Hyomin’s eyes. “Losing you”

 

“I’m not going anywhere” Hyomin’s look back at Eunjung with serious face.

 

Eunjung look down and keep shut for a while. “I miss you Sunyoung ah”

 

“You’re acting weird” Hyomin start to consider back what Jiyeon questioned her at the waterfall. Yes it’s true that she was once had that special feeling for Eunjung because this girl in front of her is always there when she need her. That song called ‘One Called Away’ perfectly describe their relationship.

 

But that feeling is different with what she had for Jiyeon.

 

Eunjung lift her head and look into the pair of eyes in front of her. There is something that she doubt about Hyomin but she didn’t dare to ask. She honestly doesn’t really want to know the truth because she afraid if what she doubt about is true.

 

Hyomin look at Eunjung. They look into each other eyes.

 

“Sunyoung ah, can I hug you to sleep?” Eunjung move closer to Hyomin.

 

“You already did pabo” Hyomin move closer and let Eunjung hug her.

 

Suddenly, a few knock on the door can be heard before the door swung open. Both of them turn their head toward the door and see Boram with sleepy face went inside.

 

“Hyomin ah, please take a look at Jiyeon. She’s disturbing my precious sleep with moving around and sniffing”

 

Hyomin jump from bed and run to the next door. Boram take over Hyomin’s place and continue to sleep there. While, Eunjung confusedly try to absorb the situation but she can’t. So she run after Hyomin to look by herself.

 

Hyomin open the second room’s door and went in quickly. Jiyeon walk around with worried expression on her face clearly can be seen. Hyomin observed her for a while. Jiyeon keep sniffing non-stop with her eyes closed. Hyomin unknowingly smiled at Jiyeon’s weird sleep walking habit. This is the first time she witnessed this habit of Jiyeon. Second time to be exact if she count the first night they sleep together when she still 9 years old.

 

Hyomin move closer to Jiyeon. Jiyeon stop sniffing and turn to Hyomin. She shoved her head on Hyomin’s shoulder. For a while Hyomin thought she’s awake but right after she heard the heavy breath, she know the girl is still sleeping.

 

Hyomin slowly tuck Jiyeon to the bed. When she turn around, that is when she realised Eunjung presence at the door.

 

“Sorry Jungie. Jiyeon need me” Hyomin said to Eunjung.

 

“It’s okay. I understand” Eunjung close the door and walk back to the first room.

 

Hyomin lie down beside Jiyeon and observed that sleeping girl’s face. “You can’t even sleep properly without me”

 

Hyomin pinched Jiyeon’s nose softly and move closer to hug the girl. Jiyeon slowly hug her back and snuggle closer. Hyomin smiled and closed her eyes.