Chapter 5

Countryside Life

Hyomin get up from her sleep with so much hesitation. She need to go to toilet badly. On the way coming back to her room from toilet, she peek at the wall clock.

 

5.45 a.m.

 

One thought crossed her mind at that time. Sunrise. She goes quickly to check sunrise’s time on her phone. Around 7. Nice.

 

Hyomin shook Jiyeon’s body to wake the girl up. “Hey, let’s watch sunrise” She whisper to Jiyeon’s ears.

 

Jiyeon open her eyes slightly but didn’t show any sign to get up. Hyomin lift Jiyeon’s body and make the girl sit facing her. Jiyeon’s head fall on Hyomin’s shoulder.

 

“Hey wake up. You can sleep again later on” Hyomin hug Jiyeon before make that girl sit straight once again.

 

Jiyeon nodded with eyes half open. Hyomin then drag Jiyeon to the toilet. They washed their face and brush their teeth before going out.

 

Both of them walk hand in hand around the village enjoying fresh air and comfortable early morning silent.

 

They sit in front of the same paddy field where they watched sunset last time. From the place they sit, a clear light rays can be seen from far away.

 

“Unnie” Jiyeon broke the silent.

 

“Hmm”

 

“In movies they did something at this kind of atmosphere” Jiyeon said with wide smile and double raise her eyebrow.

 

Hyomin was clueless at first but when she turn to look at Jiyeon, she finally get what Jiyeon mean with that something.

 

Jiyeon lean closer to Hyomin when that girl is looking at her. Hyomin quickly flicked Jiyeon’s forehead to stop the girl.

 

“Ouch!” Jiyeon lean back in pain.

 

“We are in public” Hyomin said with her eyes wider than usual.

 

“There are nobody else here” Jiyeon pouted while rubbing her forehead.

 

“No that kind of thing in public”

 

Jiyeon show her unsatisfied look. “I forgot I dated village girl”

 

“Who said I’m dating you” Hyomin pinched Jiyeon’s scrunched nose. 

 

“We kissed” Jiyeon stretch the word kissed and look away from Hyomin.

 

Hyomin laugh at Jiyeon’s action. She took the girl hand and pressed her lips on it.

 

“What a soft lips you got there” Jiyeon quickly turn to face Hyomin and try to hide her smile while saying that.

 

Hyomin just smile at her. She then pressed her nose at Jiyeon’s hand inhaling the scent. “You still have baby’s scent”

 

“This is the first time you kiss me first” Jiyeon can’t hide her smile anymore. She smiled from ear to ear.

 

“No. It’s second”

 

Jiyeon widened her eyes. “When?” She ask referring to the first one.

 

“I’m not telling you” I got you this time. Hyomin smile at her success teasing the girl.

 

“Where?” Jiyeon look at Hyomin with curious look.

 

“Where what?” Hyomin pretend to not understand.

 

“Which part you kiss meee??” Jiyeon raised her voice.

 

Hyomin laugh with all her heart. She pointed at Jiyeon’s forehead and said, “Here. While you sleep”

 

Jiyeon rolled her eyes. “Can’t you be more brave than that?”

 

“I’m not like you. You naughty kid” Hyomin pinched Jiyeon’s nose again.

 

“Hey look!” Hyomin pointed to the front. Sun start to show itself.

 

Jiyeon eyes widen in awe. Both of them didn’t say anything enjoying the scene.

 

“Let’s take selfie” Hyomin look at Jiyeon showing her phone.

 

They both back facing the sun and ready to take selfie. Hyomin put the 3 seconds timer to adjust the position.

 

3..2.. 

 

Jiyeon quickly planted a kiss on Hyomin’s cheek. 

 

1..Snap.

 

“Hey!” Hyomin look at Jiyeon and pat Jiyeon’s arm. Jiyeon just grinned at her showing her white teeth.

 

They look at the photo. It’s nicely captured with sunrise at the background.

 

“Wow! We perfectly matched. Don’t you think we look so good together?” Jiyeon look at the photo proudly. Hyomin just laugh at excited Jiyeon.

 

...

 

Hyomin took Jiyeon to the kitchen after they arrived at home. Hyomin planned to cook with Jiyeon for breakfast today.

 

“What are we cooking? I never cook even once in my life” Jiyeon carefully watched Hyomin took out the ingredients.

 

“Gaeran mari” Hyomin put onion, carrot and eggs at the kitchen’s table.

 

“Isn’t that too complicated for beginner like me?” Jiyeon’s face full of worry thinking about how gaeran mari look like.

 

“This is one of the simplest dish ever Jiyeon ah. Don’t worry. I’ll guide you” Hyomin smile at Jiyeon and took the girl hand to join her wash the ingredients.

 

“Jiyeon, that’s my hand” Hyomin look at Jiyeon with annoying face. They were washing the carrot and onion but Jiyeon purposely take Hyomin hand and wash it to tease the girl.

 

“Really? I thought it’s carrot. Sorry” Jiyeon hide her smile and take the real carrot to wash.

 

Hyomin just smile at Jiyeon. She let Jiyeon wash the ingredients by herself while she goes to the table and prepared chopping board and knife. 

 

Jiyeon then come to Hyomin bringing the washed ingredients.

 

“Look. I’ll teach you how to chop this onion” Hyomin show it to Jiyeon and let Jiyeon do it after her.

 

“Is this size acceptable, chef?” Jiyeon show her work to Hyomin.

 

Hyomin nodded with wide smile. Jiyeon really made her day with her cute side.

 

After finished with onion, Hyomin take the carrot and cut it into half. “This carrot too, chop it finely. Just like the onion” Hyomin handed the carrot to Jiyeon and watch the girl chopping the carrot.

 

“You are so awkward” Hyomin . Jiyeon stop chopping and stare at Hyomin’s eyes.

 

“This is my first time. What did you expect from me..” Jiyeon wear annoying look on her face. “..chef?” Not to forget to add chef at the end of her words.

 

Hyomin just laugh. She took a bowl and prepared washed eggs. She crack one of the egg and let Jiyeon crack the second one.

 

Jiyeon carefully cracked it but it turn to be a mess when the egg’s fluid scattered all over the place. Jiyeon’s pouted seeing the mess she cause.

 

Hyomin carefully took the tissue and wipe Jiyeon’s hand. She took another egg and pass it to Jiyeon.

 

“Like this” She hold both of Jiyeon’s hand while standing at Jiyeon’s back. She lead Jiyeon crack the egg softly, carefully open the crack and let the liquid fall in the bowl.

 

“Can we stay like this a little bit longer, chef?” Jiyeon hold Hyomin hand to stop the girl from get away.

 

Hyomin just realised she back hug Jiyeon a moment ago. She blushed when she noticed how close they stand with her body slightly pressing Jiyeon’s body.

 

“We need to cook and please crack some more eggs” She whisper at Jiyeon’s ear.

 

“That sound y” Jiyeon laugh and release Hyomin’s hand.

 

Hyomin then put the finely chopped onion and carrot into the bowl. She instruct Jiyeon to mix it carefully with fork while added salt and pepper into it.

 

“Now the most important part. Cook it with low heat” Hyomin adjust the heat and spread the butter on the frying pan.

 

“Pour it carefully. Spread it and wait until it cooked nicely. Then put seaweed on top of it” Hyomin placed dry seaweed sheet on the top of the cooked egg.

 

“Roll it nicely and neatly” Hyomin roll the egg and take it out from frying pan placing it carefully in clean plate.

 

“Your turn” Hyomin look at Jiyeon that carefully listening to her.

 

“Yes chef!” Jiyeon does all the step that Hyomin show her. She cause some mistake from pouring too much egg to the bad rolling shape.

 

“Failed roly poly” She make a joke out of her own mistake. Hyomin smile while she took out the weird shape gaeran mari cooked by Jiyeon and placed it beside the first one.

 

“Last one. You better make it prettier this time” Hyomin back hug Jiyeon and placed her head at Jiyeon’s shoulder to watch the girl cooking. Luckily this time, the shape is a lot better.

 

“The power of love!” Jiyeon shout proudly. Hyomin pinched Jiyeon’s nose unable to stand the girl cuteness.

 

“Okay final step, cut it nicely” Hyomin put the cooked gaeran mari on chopping board and cut it into pieces. She then handed the knife to Jiyeon to let the girl finishing the rest.

 

“This is quite a lot. Who’s going to finish all this?” Jiyeon ask without looking away from gaeran mari in front of her while she cut it carefully.

 

“What are you guys doing?” Hyomin almost answer Jiyeon’s question but one of the person on her list of answer suddenly popped up.

 

“Jungie~ You always know the right timing to come. I just planned to call you” Hyomin smile widely at Eunjung that now entering kitchen to join them.

 

Eunjung back hug Hyomin and look at gaeran mari on the table. “Heol. Really? So you guys make this gaeran mari” She reach her hand to grab a piece but Hyomin stop her.

 

“Let’s wait for the others. Please call them for me” Hyomin try to escape from Eunjung’s hug as she realised Jiyeon’s expression start to darken.

 

“They might not believe me after yesterday’s joke” Eunjung broke the hug and dialled some numbers on her phone.

 

...

 

Six of them gather at Hyomin and Jiyeon’s house. After finish with eating, they sit together at the living room. 

 

“Let’s have fun at waterfall” Eunjung suddenly suggest a random event that she could think.

 

“Where is it?” Soyeon ask trying to recalling any waterfall nearby.

 

“1 hour and a half from here. My uncle has a lake house there. I’m thinking about asking him if he can let us stay there for a while” Eunjung suddenly stand from her sit. “Let just meet him. He live nearby”

 

...

 

“Ahjussi!” Eunjung shout to greet her uncle that busy running try to catch the escaped chicken. That middle age man stop when he heard someone call for him.

 

“Eunjungie. What make you come here out of sudden?” He ask Eunjung with his hand busy wiping sweat from his face with towel.

 

“I come to ask your permission to use the lake house of yours” 

 

“Just use it but first please help me to catch these escaped chickens” The middle age man pointed to the chicken that running freely outside of their coop.

 

“How many of them?” Eunjung ask while observing the place.

 

The middle age man raise his palm showing 5 of his finger.

 

“Guys!” Eunjung shouted. “We need to catch five escaped chickens” She pointed to chickens that scattered all over the places.

 

“But make sure they stay in this place” Eunjung rolled her sleeve up and in ready position to catch the chicken.

 

“Count me out. I hate running” Soyeon walk away and sit at nearby bench.

 

“I hate this” Boram mumbles getting herself ready.

 

“Can you do this?” Hyomin look at Jiyeon beside her. To be honest, Hyomin herself don’t really like touching living chicken. It’s okay if it’s the dead one.

 

“I don’t know” Jiyeon unsure of her own feeling. This is new. She didn’t want to chickened out because of chicken though.

 

While, Qri standing at her position with indescribable expression.

 

Eunjung start to approach the first chicken with silent step but the chicken run away from her.

 

“YAH!!” She shouted and run try to catch that chicken.

 

The other escaped chickens become panic with Eunjung aggressive move and start to run all over the places.

 

Boram blow out air from her nose before easily catching the chicken that running toward her. “You are so easy to read pabo. Stay at your home. Isn’t it a good thing there is free food for you everyday” Boram nag at the chicken and put it back inside the coop.

 

While Hyomin awkwardly going near the chicken that wander calmly not too far from her. She reach her hand to catch the chicken but that shocked chicken suddenly flip it’s wing. Hyomin shout loudly in shock “YAHH!!! THIS CHICKEN IS GOING TO FLY!!” 

 

Even in full fear mode, Hyomin manage to grab the chicken’s wing. She close her eyes and grab that chicken to put it back inside the coop. She keep saying how weird it feel to touch the living chicken. Boram help her to place the chicken back.

 

On the other hand, Jiyeon stay at her position. Her eyes fixed at one of the chicken that didn’t run much like the other. She wait for the good opportunities to catch that chicken.

 

While Eunjung still running to catch the running chicken. The one that she run after went to Qri’s stand place.

 

“UNNIE! STOP THAT CHICKEN!” She shouted asking Qri to help her. Qri widened her eyes and try to stop the chicken. That chicken try to turn back escaping from Qri but Eunjung is there right behind the chicken. Eunjung smirked at the chicken before grab the chicken hastily. “You are messing with wrong person”

 

 Jiyeon is already close enough to catch the chicken that she aim from before. She reach her hand to grab the chicken but to her surprise, that chicken try to attack her. She step back a little but then stomp in anger when she noticed that the chicken start to ignore her.

 

“Hey, you think I already giving up. I just startled!” She grab the chicken in anger. The chicken once again try to fight resulting a scratch on Jiyeon’s hand. Jiyeon finally manage to grab the chicken, but that chicken keep flipping it’s wing to run. Eunjung quickly come to help and both of them put that aggressive chicken together at the coop.

 

“Thanks” Jiyeon said to Eunjung. Eunjung just pat her shoulder and went to help Qri that didn’t manage to catch the targeted chicken. That chicken now standing above the abandoned chicken coop.

 

“It’s too high for me to reach” Qri said with hopeless tone.

 

Eunjung scare the chicken with stick. That chicken fly down in shock straight to Soyeon’s sit place. Soyeon widened her eyes in shock but she didn’t move. The chicken landed safely right beside Soyeon and that girl quickly pinned the chicken down with both hand. She make annoying face and call for someone to take the chicken away.

 

“Ughh. I hate this” Soyeon wipe her hand at the bench.

 

The six of them then sit at one place looking at each other. They laugh while sharing the way they catch the chicken earlier. They decide to go to the waterfall tomorrow morning.

 

Hyomin noticed that Jiyeon’s hand has a little scratch on it. She quickly took Jiyeon’s hand to look closer.

 

“You are bleeding” Hyomin get up and took Jiyeon to wash the cut.

 

Hyomin carefully wash Jiyeon’s hand with worried expression.

 

“It just a little scratch” Jiyeon try to comfort Hyomin.

 

Not too long after that, they all went home.

 

...

 

That night, as both of them lie down, they look into each other eyes.

 

“How’s today?” Hyomin ask Jiyeon with her hand caressed Jiyeon’s face.

 

“It’s fun. A lot of first time happened to me today. First time seeing sunrise, first kiss from you-“

 

Hyomin cut Jiyeon’s word “I told you it second”

 

“For me it’s first. Then, first selca with you. First time cooking and first time catching chicken. Woahh!!” Jiyeon eyes widened as she can’t believe herself doing a lot of firsts in a day.

 

Hyomin gigles looking at Jiyeon’s face expression.

 

“Let’s add something to the first list tonight. Right now” Jiyeon grinned showing her white teeth to Hyomin.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Kiss me. On my lips” Jiyeon hold Hyomin’s hand and move closer.

 

“Me?” Hyomin hesitate for a while. “But-“

 

“Faster! It’s almost midnight. The day will change in any minutes” Jiyeon pouted looking at Hyomin’s hesitation.

 

Hyomin bit her own lips. She can feel her heart pounding like crazy right now. It really hard to make first move.

 

She finally lean in and capture Jiyeon’s lips with her own. She quickly lean back but Jiyeon fast enough to stop her and lock her in that position with her hand cupped Hyomin’s face. 

 

The kiss went longer. Hyomin widened her eyes. The feeling is different. It’s something that she can’t describe but she know she like it.

 

Even after they ended the kiss, their heart still pounding like crazy confuse with the new feeling that creep in.

 

Jiyeon smiled at red Hyomin. She move closer to the girl and placed her ears on Hyomin’s chest listening to the girl heartbeat. It’s beating fast, the same pace with her. Satisfied with that, she move her head facing Hyomin and hug her.

 

“Let’s sleep” Hyomin said to her and placed her lips on Jiyeon’s forehead. She stay in that position until she fall asleep.